Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

TheLizard posted:

Antigua, Guatemala has free wifi. GUATEMALA.

Do you hear that, ATL?
Charging for wifi is common at hubs. LAX also charges.

Utopian Mind posted:

Is there a good way to determine which airline is going to suit my needs best? I'm being considered for a role with a 25% to 40% travel expectation, based out of the West Coast with frequent travel to the Midwest. Namely, Sacramento to the Midwest. Which I assume means connecting flights to LAX or SFO for days. I fly Alaska for the occasional trip to Vegas or SF, but nothing much. This would be a pretty significant shift from that.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really focused on the points program per se. I'm certain I'll get the status in time. I'm more concerned with which airline is going to work out best for that sort of travel setup, in terms of flight availability and amenities (wifi/etc).

Any advice? Delta seems to be really well-ranked for business travel.
You might want to see if any airlines have non-stops or connections that are shorter. Wikipedia has a list of what airlines fly where:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramento_International_Airport#Terminals.2C_airlines.2C_and_destinations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Charging for wifi is common at hubs. LAX also charges.

LAX has complimentary 1-hour wifi that you can repeatedly turn on by watching (skipping) a video.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lonely Wizard posted:

LAX has complimentary 1-hour wifi that you can repeatedly turn on by watching (skipping) a video.
Is this a recent change or only in select terminals, perhaps?

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Utopian Mind posted:

Is there a good way to determine which airline is going to suit my needs best? I'm being considered for a role with a 25% to 40% travel expectation, based out of the West Coast with frequent travel to the Midwest. Namely, Sacramento to the Midwest. Which I assume means connecting flights to LAX or SFO for days. I fly Alaska for the occasional trip to Vegas or SF, but nothing much. This would be a pretty significant shift from that.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really focused on the points program per se. I'm certain I'll get the status in time. I'm more concerned with which airline is going to work out best for that sort of travel setup, in terms of flight availability and amenities (wifi/etc).

Any advice? Delta seems to be really well-ranked for business travel.

You'll probably want to go with United. They benefit from an SFO and LAX hub, plus you could always just go directly to ORD for MW stuff. They would have the most/easiest options for you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Uncle Jam posted:

Traveling this year owns so far, I keep getting pre-check and today I ran to the desk and switched myself to an earlier flight 5 mins before they closed the boarding door and got home 2 hours earlier.

Still, gently caress taxis.

We have a contract with a car service which allows us to provide our project code and automatically bill to the project. It's incredible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also, I bit the bullet on a status challenge with AA. Plat is 10k points over the next three months. I should hit that in two. AAdvantage people were super nice over the phone.

Bye Delta :(

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Also, I bit the bullet on a status challenge with AA. Plat is 10k points over the next three months. I should hit that in two. AAdvantage people were super nice over the phone.

Bye Delta :(

Congrats, you'll never look back. Until the US merger kicks in full force and fucks them up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Belldandy posted:

You'll probably want to go with United. They benefit from an SFO and LAX hub, plus you could always just go directly to ORD for MW stuff. They would have the most/easiest options for you.

I might recommend Alaska, since you can accrue status miles on Alaska, AA and Delta. Out of Sacramento, that would get you non-stop to Los Angeles, DFW, Seatac, Portland, Atlanta, Phoenix, SLC and Minneapolis/St. Paul, with seasonal service to Charlotte, Detroit and Philadelphia.

The only downside is no direct to ORD, but unless you specifically need to go to Chicago, most of the Midwest is an easy connection from MSP or DFW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Belldandy posted:

Congrats, you'll never look back. Until the US merger kicks in full force and fucks them up.

Are you out of BOS? Do you know what they're doing with the Terminal B setup to support the merger?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TheLizard posted:

Antigua, Guatemala has free wifi. GUATEMALA.

Do you hear that, ATL?

You are worse than GUATEMALA.

I was possibly stuck at ATL for quite some time last week.

I've found the larger an airport is the more likely you have to pay for wifi. Little regional airports always have free wifi. Bigger hubs always want you to pay for it. But we've got a contract that lets me use iPass Connect to get on pretty much anywhere. No idea how much it costs when I do that, but nobody has ever yelled at me for it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you out of BOS? Do you know what they're doing with the Terminal B setup to support the merger?

I just toured the new UA facility in Terminal B that opens at the end of the month. The conversations I had with the Massport guys indicates that they're going to continue to use both sides of B as they do today, and then B6 will take over the rest of C that sUA is vacating and completely redo it so it sucks a lot less.

The upside of this is that with the new UA wing opening in Terminal B, all of B will be connected airside. It will be a bit of a walk around the horseshoe to get from US B to AA B, but you can do it without clearing security again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you don't have lounge access you're scrubbin' anyhow.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you don't have lounge access you're scrubbin' anyhow.

The new United Club at BOS appears to be quite nice, though it will have no showers which isn't great, and it has space for a nice deck outside but apparently some combination of UA and Massport didn't want to do that so you get to look at a roof and drain instead. Nice tarmac views, though.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nope, JFK guy here.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The bus to and from the airport in Madrid has free fast wifi. That was a bit of a shocker to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

I just toured the new UA facility in Terminal B that opens at the end of the month. The conversations I had with the Massport guys indicates that they're going to continue to use both sides of B as they do today, and then B6 will take over the rest of C that sUA is vacating and completely redo it so it sucks a lot less.

The upside of this is that with the new UA wing opening in Terminal B, all of B will be connected airside. It will be a bit of a walk around the horseshoe to get from US B to AA B, but you can do it without clearing security again.

Thanks - this is helpful. Where are UA's gates going to be located? In between the AA and AWE gates?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Is 55 minutes enough to change from a UA flight from Canada to a UA flight to Houston in ORD?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thanks - this is helpful. Where are UA's gates going to be located? In between the AA and AWE gates?

They built a brand new wing in Terminal B. Here's a highly polished and very nice (read: terribly lovely) image I edited from the Massport site that shows where the new terminal is:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FrozenVent posted:

Is 55 minutes enough to change from a UA flight from Canada to a UA flight to Houston in ORD?

Usually. You'll clear customs and immigration in Canada so you arrive at ORD as a domestic flight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

They built a brand new wing in Terminal B. Here's a highly polished and very nice (read: terribly lovely) image I edited from the Massport site that shows where the new terminal is:

UA should just trade AA for their gates, drat.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, anyone here have a recommendation expense tracker app? Multi Currency appreciated!

I will be on a long trip soon and rather keep an electronic record instead of writing everything down each night. I have You Need A Budget, but I still suck at using the app.

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Is this a recent change or only in select terminals, perhaps?

Could just be in the Tom Bradley International terminal, I only go to LAX for the SYD stopover. Every 3 weeks. Getting a grand total of 0 miles out of it each time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

Hey goons, anyone here have a recommendation expense tracker app? Multi Currency appreciated!

I will be on a long trip soon and rather keep an electronic record instead of writing everything down each night. I have You Need A Budget, but I still suck at using the app.

We use conquer so I just wait a week for all my charges to show up in there, do you have access to anything like that?

Barring that I don't think you're going to find an app that is any easier to use that You Need a Budget.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

caberham posted:

Expensify is... alright. Not sure on the multi currency bit though, it has been a while since I used it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm pretty in to the fact that AA blocks out 16B, 16E, 17B, 17E on the 738s to get the seat count down to 150. I prefer width over legroom anyway since I'm 5'10.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Yuck, posting from the old biz-class seats on a LH 388 :(

Really wish the SQ flight for the same route hadn't filled up. Sigh.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pissingintowind posted:

Yuck, posting from the old biz-class seats on a LH 388 :(

Really wish the SQ flight for the same route hadn't filled up. Sigh.

Normally angle flats don't bother me, but the LH 346 version did, and BR's weren't awesome either. Still, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye (or coach).

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
I'm flying EWR to PEK on United. Using seat guru I was able to find an economy seat with a little extra room. Will I still hate myself? its almost a 14 hour flight work won't cover the $150 for an upgrade but as a 6'3 245 pound guy if the extra five inches will make my life better I am game.

Also does united really not offer cocktails on long haul international flights in economy? Too bad I didn't have enough time for a layover and couldn't stay on one world.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sound_man posted:

I'm flying EWR to PEK on United. Using seat guru I was able to find an economy seat with a little extra room. Will I still hate myself? its almost a 14 hour flight work won't cover the $150 for an upgrade but as a 6'3 245 pound guy if the extra five inches will make my life better I am game.

Also does united really not offer cocktails on long haul international flights in economy? Too bad I didn't have enough time for a layover and couldn't stay on one world.

If work won't pay for it, I'd shell out of my own pocket for it just for personal sanity. That's a long time to be stuck in coach and the passenger service unit on those sCO 772 birds don't have personal air vents in them. More space around you is definitely worth $150 for 14 hours.

And no, UA killed free drinks a while back since they're trying to shore up revenue by cutting costs instead of providing better service. :rolleyes: If you have some time before you go, I have a bunch of drink chits I can mail to you, just send me a PM.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A fourteen hour flight in any form of Y, even Y+, sucks tremendously, but I would advocate at your size for shelling out.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

And here comes an AA devaluation out of nowhere.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/free-ticket-award-chart.jsp

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2014/04/08/american-and-us-airways-award-program-changes-without-notice/

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

Mackieman posted:

And no, UA killed free drinks a while back since they're trying to shore up revenue by cutting costs instead of providing better service. :rolleyes: If you have some time before you go, I have a bunch of drink chits I can mail to you, just send me a PM.

Bummer to hear that its a race to the bottom. I don't leave the house until April 29th so there is some time, no PMs but my email is mrock87 at gmail. Thanks for easing the suffering of a goon. I'm going to spring for the upgrade and try to expense it. I found an old email when we talked rate and I requested biz class they wrote back and said they wouldn't do biz class but can swing premium econ.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Good lord. Thankfully I don't have any AA or USAirways miles, but looks like everything is going to crap. I'm sitting on 116k Delta miles and 160k United miles, I better spend them before they're not enough to go from Memphis to Cleveland

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No more one world explorer awards. I'm gutted. They were so much fun.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Omne posted:

Good lord. Thankfully I don't have any AA or USAirways miles, but looks like everything is going to crap. I'm sitting on 116k Delta miles and 160k United miles, I better spend them before they're not enough to go from Memphis to Cleveland

Is it the AAnytime miles that got devalued? I remember thinking before (I wish I had written down exact values or had a screenshot of the old points) that with my 151k points I could fly both of us to Hawaii on-peak with MileSaver and still have enough points to fly myself to Japan off-peak with MileSaver. By the new table that looks to cost 140k, so I'm still good as far as that goes.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fryhtaning posted:

Is it the AAnytime miles that got devalued? I remember thinking before (I wish I had written down exact values or had a screenshot of the old points) that with my 151k points I could fly both of us to Hawaii on-peak with MileSaver and still have enough points to fly myself to Japan off-peak with MileSaver. By the new table that looks to cost 140k, so I'm still good as far as that goes.
Yes, AAnytime awards were Doug Parkered. In addition, Oneworld Explorer awards are gone, and the number of free bags allowed for some members was reduced.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This is an irritating change, but it wasn't out of nowhere at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

e:double poast

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

No more one world explorer awards. I'm gutted. They were so much fun.

Yeah, when I saw that this morning I was wondering how badly that was going to screw you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is an irritating change, but it wasn't out of nowhere at all.

Out of nowhere? No. Sudden? Absolutely. Most recently United gave a date months ahead to get your final redemptions in. Turning it off overnight is really surprising. I know at least one friend had a OWE award on hold. Not ticketed = tough luck. I couldn't help but laugh at the outrageous timing of this for him.

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, when I saw that this morning I was wondering how badly that was going to screw you.

Thank you for your condolences on this dark day.

Fortunately I've been planning on this one. I blew out my miles hard on my honeymoon, I move 90% of my spending and 100% of biz expenses to SPG AmEx and I let AA status and Admirals Club lapse. The no soft landing was the final straw. I view having less than 300k left when it went down as a win.

That and as much as I loved OWE awards they let me sample enough places for me to get a very good idea of where I want to drill down and spend bigger amounts of time. And by the time I amass enough miles to get us to the Maldives I will be able to afford the resort :v: