Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He didn't even do the censorship right, there were tits on-screen despite the half-assed Brazzers joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I didn't even realize the "censor" wasn't actually censoring. I was just too mesmerized by everything. I added NWS tags now. Sorry about that.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"
On the subject of DSP, I couldn't help but drop this snippet I found on one of the videos that presents proof of his dumbshittery.

After having read this, DSP having a fanbase makes much more sense to me now. I will admit that I feel pretty lovely having not realized this any sooner: People will be a fan of literally anything.

Dabir posted:

He didn't even do the censorship right, there were tits on-screen despite the half-assed Brazzers joke.

When I saw that the first time around I laughed so hard. It's the best example of how minimum-effort his "editing" is.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr DJB posted:

Someone done did write a let's play thing and I said things in it:

http://westernreport.fims.uwo.ca/index.php/they-play-video-games-so-you-dont-have-to/

quote:

While a YouTuber’s earnings depend on the number of views amassed, Brian Warner of celebritynetworth.com estimated that Pewdiepie and TobyGames – two of YouTube’s most popular gaming channels – respectively earn $7 million and $2 million annually.

GOD. drat.

That...that can't POSSIBLY be right...can it? From loving Let's Play? hahahahaha

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

BMS posted:

That...that can't POSSIBLY be right...can it? From loving Let's Play? hahahahaha

From the grapevine I have heard that is absolutely true. edit: I should say the ranges are true. I don't know exact figures.

That is not factoring in merchandise, paid appearances, etc. Those figures are low.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 3, 2014

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

slowbeef posted:

From the grapevine I have heard that is absolutely true. edit: I should say the ranges are true. I don't know exact figures.

That is not factoring in merchandise, paid appearances, etc. Those figures are low.

Regardless, I had heard the 6 figure mark being tossed around, but well over 7? That's just completely mind blowing to me. Honestly, more power to whomever can actually make that kind of dough on LP, it's just.....wow.

I can see it now, soon Harvard will offer a Doctorate program in LP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

BMS posted:

Regardless, I had heard the 6 figure mark being tossed around, but well over 7? That's just completely mind blowing to me. Honestly, more power to whomever can actually make that kind of dough on LP, it's just.....wow.

Take a look at some of the SEC filings from Maker, Machinima, etc.

LP is serious business.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

BMS posted:

I'll happily enroll if this comes true, so I can get into great coursework such as MIC243; The Principles of Offensive Commentary, SCARECAM101; Slender Is Still Scary, I Swear!, and the 13-class-long sequence of Effective Episode Maximizing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn't Toby the second biggest person when it comes to those numbers though? If he is that's a significant drop off from the number 1, and it's got to just drop even more drastically after him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Edit: Nah

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BMS posted:

GOD. drat.

Toby is the one that has the sweet deal with Cartoon Network, how the hell is PDP making more than sombody with corporate backings?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Toby is the one that has the sweet deal with Cartoon Network, how the hell is PDP making more than sombody with corporate backings?

PDP has corporate backings too, although probably not directly and certainly more recently. Disney now own Maker which are the people who employ PDP.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Because PDP pulls in per day the same amount of views as many large YT professionals make per month. I know it's often mentioned that he has the most subscribers, but most people don't realize how far he is above most of the competition.

I think most people around here just assume people like DSP are making 30k a year, for some strange reason. YouTube is just another arm of Google to sell Adsense ads, it's big business.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yeah, YouTube became profitable by going from a video upload site to a replacement for TV. They pushed hard signing content deals, building a partner system, etc. YouTube also has a huge content team in-house; they have four different internal production crews in New York, Chicago, Santa Ana, and San Francisco, around 100 people each.

It's a big enterprise.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, YouTube became profitable by going from a video upload site to a replacement for TV. They pushed hard signing content deals, building a partner system, etc. YouTube also has a huge content team in-house; they have four different internal production crews in New York, Chicago, Santa Ana, and San Francisco, around 100 people each.

It's a big enterprise.

The one thing I still don't get is the rise of the MCNs like Machinima, GameStation/Maker and Fullscreen. Whoever thought "I'll just sign revenue sharing contracts with a bunch of people making CoD and WoW videos" is probably largely responsible for making YouTube Video Game Person a profession in the first place. I just don't get how being part of a network actually helps anyone. I guess cross promotion or something?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

DSP Experiment: Day Two
Phil kept the introductions short and sweet as he booted up the game, only to be met with a game update. I really can't understand how a person could prepare to sit down and record/stream a game and not make sure the game was up to date first, but hopefully it was a one-off flub on his part, and thankfully it was a speedy update. After the chat helped him adjust the audio levels I was able to hear his commentary.

AHAHAHA. No. He does this EVERY time. If you're lucky, he'll install a PC game before beginning to record, but console titles? You're literally seeing the first time the game's been booted. His entire first video for MGS4 is the installation.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
In the case of Maker, it's about resources and promotion. Have a good idea for a fancy video but don't have the means to do it in-house? Maker has production staff as well, and if you're a successful partner, they'll fly you out on their dime to make something incredible.

Also, I was phone posting before and had to go from memory. Turns out the YouTube production crews are in NY, LA, Tokyo and London.

Seriously, though, look at this:

quote:

Formerly the Howard Hughes Airport, YouTube Space LA is located in the Playa Vista area of Los Angeles and covers nearly 41,000 square feet. YouTube Space LA contains large production stages, green screens, cameras, lights, sound gear, electrical and grip equipment. We also offer post-production resources ranging from private editing suites to voice-over recording booths. It’s all available at no charge if your channel has at least 10,000 subscribers.

Slowbeef, next time you're in LA, you should schedule to go see the studios and perhaps make something there. They're quite impressive.

I'm not partnered with Fullscreen / Machinima myself, so I don't know, but based on comments, it mostly seems to be about having more access to special features at YouTube. Making sure that copyright stuff is handled appropriately, that ads are scheduled in place, etc.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment: Day Three, Part One

I went further back into Phil's playlists, looking for titles that would jump out to me as being appealing to watch. I hummed and hawed and kept scrolling down, until I was going back through videos from roughly a year ago, into an era when Phil was still recording his videos using a camcorder aimed at his television.

Not quite ready to settle in and watch videos using this type of execution, I went back up and decided to deposit my rain check and watch the videos for Dragon Age: Origins. After some quick introductions where Phil defended his decisions (to nobody in particular) to play the digital release of the base game on the 360, he booted up the game.

The remainder of the 17 minutes, 45 second video consisted of the game's introductory cutscene, followed by Phil's extremely difficult type choosing a gender, race, and class. Sitting there dumbfounded, not knowing what to do, lamenting the small size of the default breasts for the female characters, misreading numbers. After much struggling, Phil reluctantly settles on a male human mage, which I believe he attempts to name "Mine Kraftsucks," but it's too long a name, so he settles for "Dykslong."

Fine tuning the character's appearance takes place for the first half of the second video, as well as a complimentary belch. At this point, I had to skip the remainder of the character creation, because Phil was non-stop rotating the character back-and-forth while making his changes, and it was just making me motion sick. 28 minutes of video, and we can finally begin the game proper.

At this time, I'd like to comment on the technical aspects of Phil's videos. In my last outing, with God of War, I noticed frequent audio stutters, which I thought was something wrong with my computer, but I eventually realized were actually in the videos. I also thought that for an HD game, his video didn't look very HD, but I considered maybe the game's HD upgrade just wasn't very good, and didn't do any comparisons.

As I'm watching Dragon Age, I notice the brightness and contrast seem to be very off, with many details obscured and things just generally not looking that great. This time, I did to a comparison, doing a search for "Dragon Age Origins Mage" and using the very first result that came up.

MisterShizno's video is from the PC version, but that should make very little difference regarding the issues I'm referring to in this instance. I would say Phil needs to spend less time fine-tuning his video game characters, and more time fine-tuning his video output.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

The one thing I still don't get is the rise of the MCNs like Machinima, GameStation/Maker and Fullscreen. Whoever thought "I'll just sign revenue sharing contracts with a bunch of people making CoD and WoW videos" is probably largely responsible for making YouTube Video Game Person a profession in the first place. I just don't get how being part of a network actually helps anyone. I guess cross promotion or something?

This is a bit long, but here's a thorough explanation of network stuff:

Well Lisa Nova was one of the (two?) founders of Maker Studios, she used to have a YouTube comedy sketch channel wayyyy back in the day, not sure if she does anymore. Basically the whole gaming thing happened as a natural evolution of direct partnerships being difficult to obtain. People realized they could bring other people under their monetization umbrella when it was a lot harder to get the ability to run ads. Basically they gave them an opportunity to make money in return for a cut.

In the present day it's pretty easy to get the ability to monetize, so one of the advantages is potentially higher ad rates through a network (some supposedly have their own ad sales teams, though I've never seen a concrete explanation or numbers on it). That said, I have seen slightly higher ad rates through Curse's network than I had with direct adsense - enough to offset their cut at least.

The other main advantage is protection, since as a little channel YouTube doesn't give a poo poo about your wellbeing, and god help you if you need to contact them - it's nearly impossible. MCNs have direct contact people, so they can at least get answers for you if something gets FUBAR with your channel.

Third - and this was my main concern - is that monetization was instant with an MCN, and really flaky with direct adsense. My main channel is video game reviews, and I would get about 10% of them rejected wanting proof of permission to use the game footage. Even in cases where I provided them this documentation instantly it would take weeks or months to clear up the monetization. Obviously this isn't viable if you're reviewing new games, the traffic burst and search rankings get solidified in the first few days.

To be clear, I don't use game audio, and usually very short video clips cobbled into a video that might be five minutes long total. Any sane person can identify it as fair use, so there should have never even been a question of documentation. So I needed a network to protect myself from something that shouldn't even be an issue. Interesting side note - the genre and style of the game seemed to make a big difference in whether it was flagged. FPS or flashy games were much more likely to be hit than indie-looking titles.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Seshoho Cian posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Baldurk's name is seriously Baldur K.

Don't get mad just because you're jealous of my originality and creativity.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jamesman posted:

MisterShizno's video is from the PC version, but that should make very little difference regarding the issues I'm referring to in this instance. I would say Phil needs to spend less time fine-tuning his video game characters, and more time fine-tuning his video output.

There's not much better you can make a camcorder LP.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mr DJB posted:

Someone done did write a let's play thing and I said things in it:

http://westernreport.fims.uwo.ca/index.php/they-play-video-games-so-you-dont-have-to/

Uhhhhhhhh...

That article posted:

Certain Let’s Plays can also appeal to fans of featured games by showing strategies or secrets they never knew about, said Greenley, who goes by Trisask09 on YouTube. For example, a goon named ChipCheezum captured a frog in Metal Gear Solid 3 and showed that if the player finds the same frog after the main character loses an eye, it will wear an eye patch.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

ChaosArgate posted:

Uhhhhhhhh...

Mission J. Frog, confirmed as Metal Gear Solid canon.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

DSP Experiment: Day Three, Part One

How many parts of this experiment do you think you'll be doing?

Is it helpful for me to ask for "best stuff/indicative stuff?" Or do you want to keep things, uh, objective?

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

baldurk posted:

Don't get mad just because you're jealous of my originality and creativity.

Only thing I'm jealous of is your rad as hell name.

Baldur Karlsson is a man who should be slaying mythical beasts, not archiving Let's Play.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

slowbeef posted:

Here's hoping long enough to witness the gibbering madness slowly set in, with increasingly agitated and incoherent posting as the days go by.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

There's not much better you can make a camcorder LP.

This is one of his more recent LPs, which is using direct capture. This is from a direct feed that he is simultaneously recording and streaming on twitch.tv.

I don't know what exactly is the cause for his videos coming out like that.

slowbeef posted:

Is it helpful for me to ask for "best stuff/indicative stuff?" Or do you want to keep things, uh, objective?

I'm going as long as my interest holds out, which means until I say "OK I don't care anymore." or something along those lines. A week, maybe?

Give me whatever input you've got. I'll either take it or I won't, depending on what impact I feel it will have on my experiment, or how capable I am in actually completing the suggestion.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Seshoho Cian posted:

Only thing I'm jealous of is your rad as hell name.

Baldur Karlsson is a man who should be slaying mythical beasts, not archiving Let's Play.

Slaying mythical beasts is his hobby. I mean seriously, how many mythical beasts do you see daily? If you see 0, he's doing his job right.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Jamesman posted:

This is one of his more recent LPs, which is using direct capture. This is from a direct feed that he is simultaneously recording and streaming on twitch.tv.

I don't know what exactly is the cause for his videos coming out like that.

I honestly couldn't tell if it was direct capture or not. Jeez, that looks worse than my Dazzle SD capture. And that's not great.

Also, blind LPs. Do you think they have any potential for anything? I personally feel they should be avoided, like this one...why does he keep calling it a scroll fighter?!

I think the best way to do blind LPs is with someone who's experienced with the game, so you're not stuck. It's also pretty great to get someone's initial reaction to things!

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 4, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

RSCNyx posted:

I honestly couldn't tell if it was direct capture or not. Jeez, that looks worse than my Dazzle SD capture. And that's not great.

Also, blind LPs. Do you think they have any potential for anything? I personally feel they should be avoided, like this one...why does he keep calling it a scroll fighter?!

I think the best way to do blind LPs is with someone who's experienced with the game, so you're not stuck. It's also pretty great to get someone's initial reaction to things!

It's not exactly the same thing, but I've done several blind streams of games and people often times enjoy the experience of seeing some guy's first reactions to a game. I think some of my more successful streams were RE4, Papers Please and Guacamelee in certain ways.

Blind LPs can work in a sense because they can capture the charm of someone playing for the first time, but they have to be actually competent at videogames overall or very good at editing. No one wants to see wallhugging for 30 minutes or refights of a boss just because they don't get how to do mechanics. There's also the chance that commentary might be really boring since players can get absorbed and not contribute anything meaningful at all outside of reactions. Suffice to say, its goddamn tricky.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Highwang posted:

Blind LPs can work in a sense because they can capture the charm of someone playing for the first time, but they have to be actually competent at videogames overall or very good at editing. No one wants to see wallhugging for 30 minutes or refights of a boss just because they don't get how to do mechanics. There's also the chance that commentary might be really boring since players can get absorbed and not contribute anything meaningful at all outside of reactions. Suffice to say, its goddamn tricky.

I think that's the thing: A lot of people don't edit their stuff on YouTube, so you see nothing but them getting frustrated over a game they're clearly no good at. I'm watching the second part of that Contra 3 LP I linked to, and he still is stuck on the first level.

It requires a LOT of effort to make a blind LP watchable, I feel. I think they have some potential, but by yourself, it can be really hard to pull it off.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

RSCNyx posted:

It requires a LOT of effort to make a blind LP watchable, I feel.

I don't actually think it requires all that much effort. It's just that it does take effort, and a lot of people don't want to go to those lengths.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

Wait, the barrier of entry is only 10k subscribers?
Oh my god.

If I wasn't on the other side of the continent I don't know how I'd stop myself from abusing this SO BAD...

[okay back to lurking]

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
And now you know why people have those "THank you for the 10,000 subscribers!" videos :tipshat:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

raocow posted:

Wait, the barrier of entry is only 10k subscribers?

I think you have to be partnered with Maker too? Unless I'm wrong?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RSCNyx posted:

Blind LPs totally have potential to be just as great as anything made with post-commentary. Two Best Friends on Youtube do this on a semi-regular basis, where either Matt or Pat will have prior experience with a game but the other is the one actually playing.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart

slowbeef posted:

It's possible, though the page doesn't exactly make that explicit at least, if that's the case.

It would be more reasonable though.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

slowbeef posted:

They were talking about the studios just owned by Youtube, so no it's just 10k subscribers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Nope, it's YouTube's in-house studios. Not Maker, not Big Frame. These are production studios and crew built by YouTube for their main content producers.

https://www.youtube.com/yt/space/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Blind LPs totally have potential to be just as great as anything made with post-commentary. Two Best Friends on Youtube do this on a semi-regular basis, where either Matt or Pat will have prior experience with a game but the other is the one actually playing.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying! It's been done on SA really well, also: Having one person having no idea what to expect, with another knowing full-well what's going to happen, and ready to offer advice if needed! I still feel that's the best way to do it.

Yet, blind LPs with one person, who has no idea what they're doing, and eventually accepts advice from random strangers on the internet (Which, I feel, defeats the "blind" part of the LP). I just feel that solo-Blind LPs are hard to pull off, and are often better done with someone else involved.

• Locked thread