Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dacap posted:

I disagree. That faceplate is kind of the defining physical characteristic of the character, it just doesn't seem right without it.

Oh come on, let's not pretend Deathlok is some high profile character, fans longed for years to see in live action. The preview pictures were disappointing because they looked cheap, not because they didn't adhere to the comic book look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I still wish they would show him arguing with 'Puter

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

e X posted:

Oh come on, let's not pretend Deathlok is some high profile character, fans longed for years to see in live action. The preview pictures were disappointing because they looked cheap, not because they didn't adhere to the comic book look.

He was pretty fun in X-force, and Wolverine and the X-Men recently.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I still wish they would show him arguing with 'Puter

I'm pretty sure Shield's going to get him back at some point, maybe he'll get an argumentative AI then.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Hey, that wasn't a terrible episode of AoS! Of course, mashing Titus Welliver, Bill Paxton, Brad Dourif's crazy eyes and Deathlok together in one episode is going to be hard not to enjoy on some level.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Hey, that wasn't a terrible episode of AoS! Of course, mashing Titus Welliver, Bill Paxton, Brad Dourif's crazy eyes and Deathlok together in one episode is going to be hard not to enjoy on some level.

But why bring in Brad Dourif for a one-shot red herring? At least give him something to do, for pete's sake!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dacap posted:

I disagree. That faceplate is kind of the defining physical characteristic of the character, it just doesn't seem right without it.

They can always save it for a big reveal (ie when their budget allows for it) and have him get burned Terminator style or something

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Opopanax posted:

They can always save it for a big reveal (ie when their budget allows for it) and have him get burned Terminator style or something

I'm kinda hoping they go this route, make him a comic'ed up Terminator, and have his skin/human bits continue to atrophy/rot off.

Edit: I do think the faceplate is lame on its own, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actors and directors love lengthy make up processes where you have to work your shooting schedule around it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

greatn posted:

Actors and directors love lengthy make up processes where you have to work your shooting schedule around it.

Well it's a necessary evil for genre productions.

See also: every sci-fi, fantasy, and horror production ever.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Error 404 posted:

Well it's a necessary evil for genre productions.

See also: every sci-fi, fantasy, and horror production ever.

And a necessary evil for television is it has to be fast and can look cheap as hell.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If Ron Perlman spent 6 hours a day in 1989 to be a lion in a soap opera you would think making a dude look like a robot for the foundation of the TV branch of a multi-billion dollar franchise in the year of our lord 2014 wouldn't be out of the question.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

If Ron Perlman spent 6 hours a day in 1989 to be a lion in a soap opera you would think making a dude look like a robot for the foundation of the TV branch of a multi-billion dollar franchise in the year of our lord 2014 wouldn't be out of the question.

For fucks sake they even did it on Star Trek in the 60s.
It's not like it's a controversial idea here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't understand why someone who isn't on the production team should ever factor in the production process when judging if the finished product is fun or not. Even if there's a very good reason the show looks cheap and has no fun visuals, the show still looks cheap and has no fun visuals.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I cants imagine a solid metal faceplate is any harder to put on than all the burn make up

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

But why bring in Brad Dourif for a one-shot red herring? At least give him something to do, for pete's sake!

When I saw his name in the credits, I was "oh great, there's the Clairvoyant" and was really disappointed, but nope red herring. I preferred that actually.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah it's sneaky as all hell and takes advantage of the fact that people like us will read the credits and make assumptions based on that. I too was snowed in by the Dourif credit and it was a nice surprise when things didn't work out the way I expected.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Hahaha, I had the same reaction when I saw his name in the opening credits. Good on them for pulling that one off.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who only has a passing familiarity with the comics, is all this leading to the civil war stuff, or is this going in another direction?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LorneReams posted:

As someone who only has a passing familiarity with the comics, is all this leading to the civil war stuff, or is this going in another direction?

Other direction.

You need superheroes to do Civil War.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

LorneReams posted:

Nah, Shield didn't really play a big role in Civil War, asides from Iron Man being the director at that time. Shield is generally not really a big factor in the comics, asides from being a pain in the rear end for the heroes and a convenient explanation for the day-to-day administration stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LorneReams posted:

If anything, its leading to Dark Reign. Victoria Hand was a fairly major character in that.

I'll spoil it just in case you or others don't want to know what happened in the comics, and based on some of TWS spoilers Essentially, Shield and the Avengers become discredited though a bunch of poo poo, like a Skrull invasion and other events, that heals to Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin, to become the new Nick Fury with his own version of SHIED, HAMMER, which is really just elements Hydra and Aim mashed together. His avengers all have regular Avenger names, but instead have Villains filling the Rolls; Osborn is Iron Patriot, Bullseye is Hawkeye, Venom is Spiderman, Daken (wolverines evil son) is wolverine, Moonstone (a Ms Marvel Villain) is Ms Marvel. Eventually they get exposed and Fury and the Avengers get back to where they are supposed to be.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It's funny that while never reading any of this, I ended up learning about it from the Marvel Bejeweled clone.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly Dark Reign was a pretty great idea, but pretty much like all Marvel events, it was pretty lackluster in its execution. Well, at least we got a pretty great Ares mini out of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

Honestly Dark Reign was a pretty great idea, but pretty much like all Marvel events, it was pretty lackluster in its execution. Well, at least we got a pretty great Ares mini out of it.

Dark Avengers was awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bobkatt013 posted:

I really liked the Ms Marvel issues focusing on Moonstone. Moonstone is kinda the Marvel version of Harle Quinn I just realized.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I really liked the Ms Marvel issues focusing on Moonstone. Moonstone is kinda the Marvel version of Harle Quinn I just realized.

Except the comics are more consistent that Karla's a good shrink, just really amoral. Harley ping-pongs between 'talented but naive' and 'dumb as a plank and hosed her way to a degree'.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Agreed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dark Avengers talking about how loving hard it is to hero all the time and wondering if they get vacation days is one of the greatest moments in comics, but there's no way to transfer that to AoS.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Civil War was a great loving idea ruined by the pro reg side being evil as gently caress about it

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Really, they should just say gently caress it and turn Agents into Joss Whedon's Marvel Sentai. The Helicarrier can turn into a guy in a rubber suit and box Fin Fang Foom.

You're closer to the truth than you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gInrQl-Z30 :psyboom:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's not sentai, that's Pokemon.

It looks like the better kind of ridiculous, too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dexo posted:

Civil War was a great loving idea ruined by the pro reg side being evil as gently caress about it

And when they are forced to face it directly it makes them feel really lovely, well, at least Ms Marvel felt like crap with tracking down a woman to separate her forcibly from her daughter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lars Blitzer posted:

You're closer to the truth than you think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gInrQl-Z30 :psyboom:

That's loving terrible.

This is so much worse. Remember to read right-to-left!(Slightly :nws: for sexy talk)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Civil War was fine.

This site says they've read the Constantine pilot and here's how they break it down:

quote:

The pilot takes place in and around New York City (which I don't think has been known about until now).
When we first find John, we learn he has voluntarily checked himself into a psychiatric clinic. He's haunted by an incident in which he lost a 9-year-old girl to a demon who has dragged her soul to hell. This incident has a significant impact on his life and it's hat is driving him. He checks himself out of the hosptial after six months to find something sinister is afoot in the realm of the supernatural.
John's a clever wise-rear end. His business card reads "Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts," but as he tells his doctor, he should replace "master" with "petty dabbler" because he hates to put on airs. He also doesn't like to talk much about his past; he masks his emotions with wry humor.
We won't see John in his classic trenchcoat right away, but he gets there.
An angel – Manny – has been assigned to John to help ease his soul into damnation. John hates angels.
Liv Parsons, a young woman who works at a rental car facility, gets caught up in John's world when she discovers something is after her. Liv's deceased father, Jasper, knew John and John owes a debt to him.
Papa Midnite – an imposing Cuban man who can dream the future – is ailing when we first find him. He's doing a lot of cocaine because he has to stay awake.
Expect to meet "Chaz," John's driver who is a tall, sensitive, quiet type yet is quite knowledgeable about the supernatural himself.
The pilot is brimming with possessions, ghosts (Liv discovers a way to see the dead) and demons and the story does an adept job at not losing its audience in the mythology. Liv is our conduit to John's world of rituals, pendants, black magic and more and it handles the exposition well.
The foundation is set for a long-lasting partnership between Liv and John. Now that she's aware of the world beyond ours, she wants to use her knowledge to help others. But is John willing to assist her?

Nothing there stands out as particularly egregious, unlike the leaked Gotham pilot script that had Alfred telling Bruce to stop playing silly buggers.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Civil War could have been great if most any of the authors were capable of maintaining a little moral ambiguity, vigilantism should be illegal after all, but going from "you can't run around trying to arrest people without any legitimated authority" to "If you have powers and you don't willingly join our fascist hierarchy we will send you to torture prison in another dimension (also murderous clone robots)"

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

zoux posted:

Nothing there stands out as particularly egregious, unlike the leaked Gotham pilot script that had Alfred telling Bruce to stop playing silly buggers.

Eh, all Chas should know about the supernatural is that it exist and the dark art of the tire iron.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Eh, all Chas should know about the supernatural is that it exist and the dark art of the tire iron.

Also his mom had an evil monkey that John took care of.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That monkey story :allears:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Chas not knowing anything was part of what kept him alive. Ignorance wasn't just bliss in vertigo magic it was armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll be kind of weird to see how AoS proceeds after the events of Winter Soldier. Especially because Winter Soldier specifically blows up some of the stuff they've been using as mysteries in AoS by releasing all SHIELD files to the internet.