Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Black-Glue-Stick/dp/B0002ZPW2O

Maybe not this exact one, but it exists and would be cheap, flexible, and durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Not entirely pleased with the join area on the underside of the arm, but I suppose I'll figure out a way to live with it. I might rework the entine thing with a zipper after this weekend, provided I get the next set of materials I need.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What's the thickness on the foam you're using?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

What's the thickness on the foam you're using?

5mm, maybe? Don't have a ruler on hand... I have some much thinner sheets as well. The overall shape of this gauntlet is alright, but I want it to be more for fitting, so I may even just chalk this piece up as a learning experience and try once more.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

McKilligan posted:

5mm, maybe? Don't have a ruler on hand... I have some much thinner sheets as well. The overall shape of this gauntlet is alright, but I want it to be more for fitting, so I may even just chalk this piece up as a learning experience and try once more.

Does it need an opening like that? Could you maybe just seal the whole seam and slide it on?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

aaaaaaaaagh I'm dying right now

Should have checked the numbers myself before cutting anything. Making a half-circle wonder woman cape on commission, they gave me fabric and a cardboard template they'd made for the blue and white stripes, only they hosed up the math. At hem length, each stripe should be ~6.5 inches across, including 1/2" seam allowances on each side, and the template measures 12 inches. I only figured this out after assembling the entire inner lining. Hoping I can salvage this and still get it done tonight, but it's looking grim.

Tempted to add a 'satin handling fee' because gently caress satin forever. I have been working on this a grand total of 7 hours now and don't even have it half done yet because of this.

Edit: this is just a half-circle cape, too. Wearer's right half is straight red, the left half has 4 blue, 4 white, and 1 red stripe. Would have been fairly simple had I sanity-checked this template in the first place.

Edit 2: I am at least as bad at math as they were, because I forgot the hem circumference is 2πr, making the original template only about a quarter inch off, though that quarter inch over 8 seams adds up. Since the fuckup is my fault, I'm paying for the replacement fabric myself.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 20, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

McPantserton posted:

Does it need an opening like that? Could you maybe just seal the whole seam and slide it on?

It does - I want it to fit the arm as snugly as possible, I don't like how bulky it appears, and in order to fit my hand though, the wrist opening needs to be flexible or adjustable. If it were just a single, solid piece it would be impossible to fit my hand though. I made a pair of gauntlets a while ago using a zipper along the inside of the arm that worked really well, I'll copy that design again this time.

On review, I also don't quite like the angle of the edges - would like it to be steeper.

Ah well. The great thing about EVA foam is that it's so drat cheap over here, so I can afford to mess up once in a while.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McKilligan posted:

It does - I want it to fit the arm as snugly as possible, I don't like how bulky it appears, and in order to fit my hand though, the wrist opening needs to be flexible or adjustable. If it were just a single, solid piece it would be impossible to fit my hand though. I made a pair of gauntlets a while ago using a zipper along the inside of the arm that worked really well, I'll copy that design again this time.

On review, I also don't quite like the angle of the edges - would like it to be steeper.

Ah well. The great thing about EVA foam is that it's so drat cheap over here, so I can afford to mess up once in a while.

You could also consider putting it on some sort of spandex? Or even just a small length of spandex/stretch fabric in one part?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

McKilligan posted:

Hot drat if that isn't EXACTLY what I need - I even found it available on Gmarket, but it's pretty pricey over here, like $40 per can...
Where are you located? A 4oz jar from Home Depot is $6. Could probably buy it locally and mail it to you for way less than that.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

SubponticatePoster posted:

Where are you located? A 4oz jar from Home Depot is $6. Could probably buy it locally and mail it to you for way less than that.

Seoul - Shipping costs would likely add at least like $20 to that, I'm afraid. It's cool - I won't get to that point of the project for at LEAST 2 months - that'll be one of the last things I apply.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Wee, C2E2 is doing a big Crown Cosplay Championship thing this year and we just got accepted with one of our space marine suits. :woop: It has actually substantial cash prizes and celebrity judges and poo poo, I'm already super nervous! Now, to run some repairs on our marines before then...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wow, good luck!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Awesome good luck!!

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I have finally started my Air Raider project, I'm going to be using sintra board for the armor plates, and foam for a padded vest the character wears.

Some pictures of progress on the front plate:

The guide I made:

Guide on the plastic:

And the end result:

I'm going to cut out the side cutouts later, then start bending it into the final angled shape.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Finally finished both arms! I think I might have to tweak the elbow placement on the right arm a bit, but otherwise I'm much happier with how these ones turned out - they fit much better. There's a zipper located on the inside of the forearms to allow me to slip them on and off. Still have pretty good range of movement too - won't be too stiff, though it remains to be seen how well I'll be able to move when the full suit is finished.

Tomorrow, I start the chest pieces - bigger, but hopefully less complicated. At the very least, way fewer cuts to make.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 25, 2014

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
That's looking pretty sweet!

So I decided I was going to make a DeadMau5 head. Finally got the globe for it on Friday. Progress so far:

Since then, I made the mouth screen, cut the eyes, and added holes for running wires into the eyes/up the ears for electronics. I should have this finished in the next couple of days.

I still have to fix the Guy helmet, but that's waiting for a warmer day to get into the shop to make the vacuformer. Stupid second winter!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Started the basic cuirass today, and attached the shoulders - I'm contemplating attaching the arms to the shoulder as well - the shoulder attach to the cuirass with clips - would like for them to cover as much as the arms as possible. The black hood is just a placeholder until I cut the blue fabric into the right shape - right now it's just a solid 4 yards. I'll probably re-use the black fabric to make a veil to cover my lower face though.

I think I'll also expand the elbow pieces horizontally so that they cover more of the gap - shouldn't be too tricky, a few pieces of foam and a little elastic. It's pretty challenging trying to make the armour look like a single continuous piece rather than separate segments, but I'm still well pleased with the progress so far.

Tomorrow I'll get to work on the sides and back of the armour.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 27, 2014

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Hey cosgoons, I'm looking to do a Hellboy costume sometime in the near future, and I have a question for all you people with the Warhammer space marine costumes. Are the hands actually moveable on those things, or are they basically just rigid hand-shapes. I'd really like to make a Right Hand of Doom that could actually be manipulated, but being a rank amateur I don't really know where to start. At first blush I thought of doing something with fishing line attached to rings so that I could puppet the hand from inside the cylinder, but I'm not sure how good that would look. Any ideas on techniques or materials to get me started?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Fausts Pen posted:

Hey cosgoons, I'm looking to do a Hellboy costume sometime in the near future, and I have a question for all you people with the Warhammer space marine costumes. Are the hands actually moveable on those things, or are they basically just rigid hand-shapes. I'd really like to make a Right Hand of Doom that could actually be manipulated, but being a rank amateur I don't really know where to start. At first blush I thought of doing something with fishing line attached to rings so that I could puppet the hand from inside the cylinder, but I'm not sure how good that would look. Any ideas on techniques or materials to get me started?

Our marine hands did move, but we didn't make them as well as I would have liked, honestly. What we basically did:
-Made an arm brace out of flat plastic struts and PVC rings
-bolted on a palm/back of hand plate that was flat with a folded down tab to make the thumb, this also had a handhold on the inside
-bolted 4 rubber tubes to the top plus one to the tab for the thumb
(Apparently we didn't take any pictures of this AT ALL, this is the best one I could find:
You can see the plate, tab, and tubes there though. A little.)

-cut big chunks out of the tubes where the joints would bend on the inside of the curve. We found you had to remove a lot more material than it seemed like to make sure the tubes would flex, they're fairly stiff
-cut slits in the tips of the tubes and threaded a zip tie down through each finger, which we crimped finger loops into with aluminum crimp things
-vacuum formed big square finger plates from a wood dowel plus a boxy thing for the back of the hand itself
-assemble

So our technique definitely did work, but the main problem is that it was pretty hard to flex the fingers. I had some motion but less than I wanted. I'm planning to revisit the hands a bit before I wear my marine next.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fausts Pen posted:

I've had this link http://aternox.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Hand-in-Walkthrough-110401534 floating around in my bookmarks for loving ages which may be of assistance.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Click for huge and fuzzy

More progress have added the sides and back of the armour, though the back is really rough, but it's going to be covered by the cload anyway, so it doesn't need much work. I'm also really drat pleased with the color of the blue fabric - I got lucky and found a shade that I really liked. Of course, before it's done it's going to be weatherd, bleached, stained and painted all to hell and back. Gonna be filthy, ragged, and awesome.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It's looking SO good!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Minor update, but did a bit of work on the gloves. Basically, I just updated the gloves from my last costume, since they were already made and nicely segmented. Maybe they could have been done a little better but I doubt they'll be the part anyone focuses on. I also added some wings to the elbow joint to better cover the gap between upper and lower arms, to make it look less like separate pieces and more like one continuous covering.

The annoying thing about completing a costume piece by piece is realizing how much dexterity you lose when you finally wear them all together. Wielding the sword is going to be...interesting. Combined with the limited visibility of the cowl, I'll be lucky if I don't concuss someone with the drat thing. I think I'm going to have to wrangle some handlers.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 31, 2014

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
drat that looks good. You probably already addressed it but what are you using to make that? I'm probably going to be attempting my first armor piece and that looks almost like the right thickness I'd like to work with.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

fallin1 posted:

drat that looks good. You probably already addressed it but what are you using to make that? I'm probably going to be attempting my first armor piece and that looks almost like the right thickness I'd like to work with.

It's EVA foam - not sure where you'd get it, but I think most hobby shops carry it - I'm just using 2 thicknesses, a very thin sheet, and one that's about 3.5x thicker than that for the sturdier bits - I'd definitely recommend it, it's very easy to work with and shape if you've got a heat gun, and dirt cheap.

Now if you plan on resin-coating it like me, on the other hand, it gets a little more complicated and expensive...but that won't be for a while.

Edit - Speaking of expense - here's something that I learned -

Below, you see $40 worth of pre-cut rings that I made into mail. Above, you see a smaller section of rings, total cost about $2. These are the things you learn as you go... they take a lot longer to coil, cut, and make into mail, but for 5% of the cost, you can't beat it... things would go alot faster if I had a better pair of wire cutters, but there you go...

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 2, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

For butted maile, just use a dremel. Wind a whole coil, run a line up it with a cutting bit, and you're done.

I must've gone through several miles of galvanized electric fence wire making chain back in my renfaire days. :D

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Pokemon Hunter J is the next character up on my cosplay list. What sort of material could be used to make the lens of a visor like this? I've been looking at transparent plastics, but all the colored ones are too foggy to see through.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

Pokemon Hunter J is the next character up on my cosplay list. What sort of material could be used to make the lens of a visor like this? I've been looking at transparent plastics, but all the colored ones are too foggy to see through.

Some friends of mine did a video on dying plastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGUf1VpvICI\

If it were me and I didn't want to dye it, I'd hit Home Depot or an autobody shop look for the stuff you put on car windows to tint them.

daynip
Jan 13, 2010
Hey guys,

Sorry to jump in without really contributing anything, but is there a place on SA where I can ask for help finding specific items for a costume? It's not a huge project or anything; I'm thinking about dressing up as Maggie from walking dead for comic con. This would be my first time dressing up so I'd like to start off with a simple costume. One item I'd love to find is the navajo poncho she has been wearing lately. If anyone can direct me to the fabric, that would be awesome. I noticed that a lot of people have found the fabric, but they are charging ridiculous amounts for it ($80-120). Thanks!!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Took Han and Leia out for a spin Saturday at Emerald City. It went over really well with the crowds, even better than the Daft Punk we did on Friday. Whipped the vibro-axe out the weekend before, but I still think it's my favourite piece out of both of our costumes. Learned a lot of new skills (sewing, resin, wonderflex, latex, leather and metal work, embroidery) and can't wait to use them some more. Except for making pants/shirts. gently caress pants and shirts.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Liquid Communism posted:

For butted maile, just use a dremel. Wind a whole coil, run a line up it with a cutting bit, and you're done.

I must've gone through several miles of galvanized electric fence wire making chain back in my renfaire days. :D

God I wish I had a dremel. No such luck, and I don't think I'll invest in one just to speed the process up...they're at least about $50 here.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Finished up the DeadMau5 helmet tonight.

I might jazz it up a bit more, and I plan to do some fancier coding on the eyes. The EL tape is kind of annoying, though, because of the constant whine.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

McPantserton posted:

Some friends of mine did a video on dying plastic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGUf1VpvICI\

If it were me and I didn't want to dye it, I'd hit Home Depot or an autobody shop look for the stuff you put on car windows to tint them.

That's a really nice looking result. I never thought of using synthetic fabric dye to tint plastics with.

You can also use permanent marker ink (cheap mode: gut a p.marker for it's core) diluted in isopropyl alcohol (or even acrylic paint thinner) on some plastics. It's something you have to test first though, since the IPA can wreck some plastics. (Worth noting, you can dye wigs or faux fur this way too, as long as you're going darker!)

Pro choice is to use mono catalytic CR39 lens tinting dyes. But they can be tricky to get hold of if you have no contacts within the optical industry, and really expensive if you're tinting something big, or just a single object. Bonus with this method though is if you get the neutraliser you can do multi coloured tints.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

McKilligan posted:

God I wish I had a dremel. No such luck, and I don't think I'll invest in one just to speed the process up...they're at least about $50 here.

If you're planning on doing more costume stuff in the future (which you should because your armor is looking really fantastic), it honestly might be worth it. I spent about that on my dremel too and over the course of 3ish years I've used it so much that it's dying and I'm looking to pick up a much nicer one once it finally goes. They can be such a huge time saver.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

McPantserton posted:

If you're planning on doing more costume stuff in the future (which you should because your armor is looking really fantastic), it honestly might be worth it. I spent about that on my dremel too and over the course of 3ish years I've used it so much that it's dying and I'm looking to pick up a much nicer one once it finally goes. They can be such a huge time saver.

Can't agree with this more. Besides, Dremels are useful household tools on top of craft work tools.

The three tools I think I probably couldn't live without now are my decent glue gun, my heat gun, and my Dremel. My airbrush probably comes a very close 4th.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Well, poo poo. I'm already this far in the hole, might as well acquire the holy trinity of glue gun, heat gun, dremel. It'll certainly save time when it comes to cutting these damnable rings, considering how many I'll need. Hand-snipping the fuckers is one hell of a workout, I think this is steel wire or something.

ANYWAY. Check this hot poo poo out - Obviously only got one of the arms on since I can't handle the camera if I've got both.

It's so goddamn satisfying to see everything come together like this. I'll be tweaking, snipping, adding, etc for a long time still, but goddamn it's nice to hit a nice milestone now and then. All that's really left are the legs, and I'm not ever going to both with the upper leg area at all, since it's covered.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

One piece of advice I'll give is to get a mains dremel. The cordless ones are fine, but it's so annoying when they conk out halfway though a job, and you have to wait for it to recharge.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:neckbeard:

I keep saying it, but you really look great so far!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Decided against the dremel - the only one near me is 130, which is too much to spend on one tool for one part of a single costume... I'll check online for some cheaper options. In the meantime, just bought a beefed up pair of piano write cutters, which should make things easier on my hands.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

McKilligan posted:

Decided against the dremel - the only one near me is 130, which is too much to spend on one tool for one part of a single costume... I'll check online for some cheaper options. In the meantime, just bought a beefed up pair of piano write cutters, which should make things easier on my hands.

2 questions:

1. Where do you live that the only dremel you can find is $130?

2. I'm sure you've mentioned it, but I can't find it, what is your costume of?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 4, 2014