Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

It originated as a gag about people looking for the insurance search site Compare The Market ending up by mistake on Compare The Meerkat, with the website's owner (the aforementioned well-spoken critter) being irritated by it and producing "his" adverts to educate people.

Simples!

That's literally the same way the GEICO Gecko got started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qc1H2SMK1s

Incidentally, that very first commercial had Kelsey Grammar as the voice actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Fucknag posted:

That's literally the same way the GEICO Gecko got started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qc1H2SMK1s

Incidentally, that very first commercial had Kelsey Grammar as the voice actor.

Except it makes even less sense. Why would you go to a site that compares meerkats when looking for car insurance?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Edward IV posted:

Except it makes even less sense. Why would you go to a site that compares meerkats when looking for car insurance?
:thejoke:
http://www.comparethemeerkat.com
http://www.comparethemarket.com

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Final rallycross of the season got a bit ridiculous, and luckily we had a photographer there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
We had an event like that last year. At least 4 or 5 VWs with pond sucker intakes hydrolocked, and a handfull of other cars had water ingestion related deaths.
My car got really muddy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Delivery McGee posted:

That's how big radials work. Too big to do it by hand (like kickstarting a literbike), pump the oil out with the starter with magnetos off, then turn on the spark and set the exhausts on fire.

That depends on the engine; large engines are designed to be cleared by the starter (like the R-3350 in your video), but in a small radial like the R-670 (used in the VW video, and an engine that I know relatively well) the starter is strong enough that it could ruin the engine if it hydrolocked. The manual for the aircraft with the engine in question attached explicitly says to clear the engine by hand only before starting.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

It's irrelevant, he had right of way, regardless of whether he was speeding, and he certainly didn't seem to be speeding by enough for it to be a factor.

Supercars on YouTube do bring out all the miserable twats though:

:jerkbag:

Regardless, it's a bit early in the year for the supercars from the middle east to be racing on the high street isn't it?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe I'm just getting confused by right hand drive, but don't I see two lanes going the Mazda's direction that it could have potentially merged into? And it chose the far one instead of the near one. In the US at least that's illegal. Very counter-intuitive and hazardous, and the lambo would have been right to be very surprised by getting cut off from two lanes away.

We have no evidence that it was speeding, just that it was loud as Lambos tend to be. No wheels lost traction so maybe the guy just wasn't on the brakes like a racecar driver would be.

Anyway, eat the rich, yadda yadda. Hopefully it was a car that gets borrowed around and he's not one of those who have 30 more cars like that at home.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 2, 2014

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Windfall posted:

Maybe I'm just getting confused by right hand drive, but don't I see two lanes going the Mazda's direction that it could have potentially merged into? And it chose the far one instead of the near one. In the US at least that's illegal. Very counter-intuitive and hazardous, and the lambo would have been right to be very surprised by getting cut off from two lanes away.

It's a small single-lane-in-each-direction residential suburban road. The Mazda was pulling out into the lane closest to the camera.

In the UK there never would be a four-lane 20mph road!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Transit van on Bentley rims.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

Transit van on Bentley rims.

Wrong thread. Those wheels are hideous.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

:getin:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nice clean NSX shows up at the office from time to time.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Guinness posted:

Nice clean NSX shows up at the office from time to time.

Those wheels. Ugh.

Where are you, looks like a Canadian car with no front plate, so I'm going to guess Alberta. Disregard, Washington rear plate.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Famous tracks to scale:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wanna rasterbate that and put it up on my wall :swoon:

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

ID on this car?

Other than its the tacotaxi :v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

El Laucha posted:

ID on this car?

Other than its the tacotaxi :v:

Studebaker Champion.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

rscott posted:

Wanna rasterbate that and put it up on my wall :swoon:

Or support the actual artist: http://www.redbubble.com/people/sirdunny/shop

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Studebaker Champion.
And according to wikipedia, either a 1950 or 1951. That grille was only used for those two years.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

hell yeah thanks for this!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
These are also some great track infographic prints: http://trackography.com/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dubzee posted:

Famous tracks to scale:

The Isle of Man track is just absolutely enormous, I didn't realise it dwarfed the nurburgring so hugely.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Some of these might not be considered "awesome" so I apologize in advance.

The "Tron" Aventador some of you may have seen on Imgur/that other site that starts with an R

and its owner =p

pretty decent looking gojira next to it

friends' evo getting a black brushed aluminum wrap put on...

Looks pretty drat good.

roof being re-skinned

the owner of this car was one of the original founders of Napster

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

drukqs posted:

Some of these might not be considered "awesome" so I apologize in advance.

Yeah the Panamera is never awesome :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

dubzee posted:

Famous tracks to scale:

I am most upset due the lack of Knockhill. :scotland:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dubzee posted:

Famous tracks to scale:

I'm happy they have some Australian tracks on there outside of Bathurst. Phillip Island is a brilliant track and should be in all car sims/racing games

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah the Panamera is never awesome :(

Quite like the standard BBS's without the centres

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wish there was a decent motorsports park in Orlando. Sebring is a good 2 hour drive (and expensive I imagine), Daytona is.... Daytona, and with CFRC gone (which was a dinky little drift course/ 1/8th mile strip anyway) all we have is Speed World, which features a figure 8 track (great if you don't care about your car, like at all) and a strip with short enough runoff that the really fast cars can't run there.

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Fucknag posted:

Wish there was a decent motorsports park in Orlando. Sebring is a good 2 hour drive (and expensive I imagine), Daytona is.... Daytona, and with CFRC gone (which was a dinky little drift course/ 1/8th mile strip anyway) all we have is Speed World, which features a figure 8 track (great if you don't care about your car, like at all) and a strip with short enough runoff that the really fast cars can't run there.

What about the track at Disney? Is that ever open to the public, or is it strictly petty that runs there?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Fucknag posted:

a 2 hour drive is well within day trip range, plenty of people would be thrilled to have a world famous track like that so close.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok you got me, I'm really just pissed I don't have money for track days. Happy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drukqs posted:

Seth Green's car?

Yes I know that was a terrible movie.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Rhyno posted:

Seth Green's car?

Yes I know that was a terrible movie.

Sean Parker so yeah I'd bet that Seth Green played him haha its been a while since I suffered through that piece of poo poo ego film

blk
Dec 19, 2009

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

drukqs posted:

Sean Parker so yeah I'd bet that Seth Green played him haha its been a while since I suffered through that piece of poo poo ego film

The Italian Job?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

There has to be a video of this somewhere, right?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

That's some awesome AI poo poo right there.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
How rare are the SL63 AMG Blacks? We're not ones to get nice cars in this area, usually.

Click for larger blurry and hazy pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I was in Havana the other week and saw some cars.

In particular I am interested in that Esso #2 car. Anyone know if it has some racing pedigree or if it's just a cheap replica ?