Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when is shovelknight coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Awesome! posted:

when is shovelknight coming?

They haven't announced. It was supposed to be March/April but then they pushed it back saying that more work needed to be done. It's apparently in the final stages of testing where they will resubmit for a release date.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Tech report on Advance Wars (European Version): Looks fine. On the gamepad, the game is scaled exactly 3x (240x160 -> 720x480) and on the TV you have a choice between Full Screen Mode and Original Resolution. The former scales the game to the full 1080 vertical, while the latter appears to scale 6x to 1440x960, leaving black bars on all four sides. All displays and options respect the proper aspect ratio and leave black bars to the left and right.

You also get a "smoothing" option which determines the scaling method. Off scales with nearest neighbor, on scales with HQ2x or some variant of that.

No options for Coloring, but the default looks good, if perhaps very slightly darkened when compared to VBA running the same game, though I suppose that could be my TV's or monitor's color settings.

Apart from that you get the typical WiiU Virtual Console stuff of one save state and button remapping.

Hitting the (?) on the Gamepad opens up a scanned manual, looks good although if you zoom in you can see some JPG compression. Opening the manual pauses the game, but you can hit a button to leave the game running on the TV while also having the manual open on the Gamepad. Manual appears to be completely uncut from the original, they even left in the pages for linking multiple GBAs together as well as the Notes section at the end.

For those wondering, if you connect a Wiimote with a Classic Controller, you can use that to play the game too, so a 2-player Mario & Luigi run is possible. Presumably you can do the same with a WiiU Pro controller, but I don't have one of those to test. You can not connect multiple Wiimotes, so no 4 player Advance Wars without passing a controller back and forth, unfortunately. A Wiimote without attachment or with the Nunchuck refuses to connect as well.

For those with storage concerns, Advance Wars totals 62 MB with 59 MB for the game and 2496 KB for the save + savestate file. Considering the GBA cartridge is 8 MB, that's over 50 MB for the emulator and manual scan, sheesh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No options for Coloring, but the default looks good, if perhaps very slightly darkened when compared to VBA running the same game, though I suppose that could be my TV's or monitor's color settings.

I think this is your TV, on mine I can see no difference between the Wii U and VBA GX running on my Wii.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Huh, the GBA games are actually $1.30 cheaper than SNES games in Ausland Funbux, putting them below the :10bux: line. Expected a bit more.

Not really anything I wanna buy in the stuff coming out this month, though. Between original carts and 3DS Ambassador stuff I've already got the games I want from this first batch. I'm all in once Konami start putting the Castlevania games out, however.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ohvee posted:

I didn't ever think that I'd being willing to pay $24 someday for 3 gameboy advance games, but here I am.
Out of curiosity, how much did GBA games retail for? (These games are what, 12-13 years old?)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Pretty sure all major GBA games were $30, $35-40 for some Square releases.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

irlZaphod posted:

Out of curiosity, how much did GBA games retail for? (These games are what, 12-13 years old?)

In the UK they retailed for £30, which is basically the base game price for portables until the 3DS and Vita jacked it up to £35-40.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
Own Dr. Mario on the Wii U VC, get Dr. Luigi for $5 off! - offer expires April 10

Thanks..been waiting for something like this. I bought this for Braksgirl and she's happily destroying viruses left and right. I think Dr. Mario/Luigi is like digital crack for her.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

(as always, I'm sure there are sales/discounts that NOA didn't bother to list, so post 'em if you see 'em)

3DS Eshop

25% off Shinen games. Art of Balance Touch, Nano Assault, Jett Rocket II

Edge $1.99
Urban Trial Freestyle $4.99

I posted a large list of crappy games on sale through the 6th, those are still on sale.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Man there is a real dearth of Metroid games on the 3DS shop, I'm quite dissapointed. There's at least 3 that were made for previous Gameboy gens too!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Metroid 1 and 2 are on there but yeah, until M2 brings the GBA emulator to 3DS that's all you get for now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well then, good news! Metroid Fusion was just reelased! On the WiiU VC. :v:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is pretty neat so far. Don't know how much all the games will cost in total, but they all start out at $4.00. So far I could haggle him down to 2 dollars for the first game and $1.90 for the second. So at most it's 40 dollars if you're incredibly impatient and foolish, don't care about the story, and want to unlock everything right away, and at least it's probably around 15-20. A gimmick, but kinda neat. They're very up-front about how the haggling mechanic works, and it's clear when you've reached the minimum price.

The game itself is pretty fun so far, nice production values and some surprises, and a lot of challenges/content for a couple bucks each. If there's one thing Nintendo is good at it's taking really simple concepts and polishing them into experiences. If you like WarioWare or some of the Game & Watch games for timekilling ability this pretty much fits right into that slot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here are the lowest possible prices for each game:

quote:

Haggling/Story-Unlocking Games
1st game: $2.00
2nd game: $1.90
3rd game: $1.80
4th game: $1.70
5th game: $1.60
6th game: $1.00

Discount Coupon Games
All four games: $1.50 each

$16 all up, down from $40.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't quite understand how Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is even a game. I played the first demo, it was incredibly boring. I can't see anybody paying anything for that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So basically it's a slightly above average-priced downloadable game with an trap tax attached.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

seems like a bit much for that kind of game. I paid less than $15 for the show 13 on vita.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Awesome! posted:

seems like a bit much for that kind of game. I paid less than $15 for the show 13 on vita.

Yearly sports games are outliers in the world of video game prices. And this isn't precisely a sports game.

I may wait for reviews and see if any of the other minigames are outright bad before spending more on it but so far two dollars for the one has been fine with me. Sixteen is probably a bit more than most people would like, but amortized over a bunch of smaller purchases over time it's easier to swallow, which is undoubtedly what they're counting on. A lot less evil than most free to play schemes, at any rate.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
With the simplicity of the game, and the focus on microtransactions... it seems like it's marketed towards younger kids that will actually enjoy it, but can't be played unless an adult approved of every single microtransaction.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
PaletteSwappedNinja, do you post your eshop updates outside of this forum?

Yechezkel runs the PSN version of this thread and posts updates onto a blog so people can follow that or link it around.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

njsykora posted:

In the UK they retailed for £30, which is basically the base game price for portables until the 3DS and Vita jacked it up to £35-40.

No way, GBA games were £25 typically and between £20 and £25 from places like ASDA.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Babby Sathanas posted:

No way, GBA games were £25 typically and between £20 and £25 from places like ASDA.

I paid something like £29.99 for Sonic Battle used.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Babby Sathanas posted:

Pretty sure places like Gamestation used the £30 price point on a lot of stuff, I remember gawking at a used Pokemon Ruby sticking to precisely that years after its release.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Astro Nut posted:

Pretty sure places like Gamestation used the £30 price point on a lot of stuff, I remember gawking at a used Pokemon Ruby sticking to precisely that years after its release.

ASDA must have been the promised land for little me then.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Hitting the (?) on the Gamepad opens up a scanned manual, looks good although if you zoom in you can see some JPG compression. Opening the manual pauses the game, but you can hit a button to leave the game running on the TV while also having the manual open on the Gamepad. Manual appears to be completely uncut from the original, they even left in the pages for linking multiple GBAs together as well as the Notes section at the end.

Yeah I was cracking up when going through the manual and theres a big fat two page ad for the GameBoy Player for Gamecube. I wonder how that fits on the bottom of my WiiU?

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
If I can't see 3D should I bother with the fielding games in Rusty's Baseball?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

rusty's real deal loving owns. the games themselves are pretty simplistic but fun and haggling with a dog with marital issues owns. it's weird as gently caress but I legit hope they do more silly poo poo like this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think I'm gonna give Rusty's Real Deal Baseball a shot now with the praise it's getting, plus it has the best thing ever apparently.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think I'm gonna give Rusty's Real Deal Baseball a shot now with the praise it's getting, plus it has the best thing ever apparently.

I got home from work and started playing this and all of a sudden it's two hours later. :stare: I've spent a grand total of $5.40 on the three mini-games I have so far, I bought a catching game by haggling and the bat making game with coupons. I'd recommend getting the bat making one ASAP before getting too far into the hitting games, it's pretty cool to bring a bat you made to swing at the speed you want into them.

For the games like the bat game you buy with discount coupons, you start at 4 dollars and use three coupons to try to get the game down to the lowest it can go, $1.50. The first combination I had to get that far was a 30% off coupon, a dollar off coupon, and a 30 cent off coupon, in that order. ($4.00 --> %2.80 --> $1.80 --> $1.50). You can't take the coupon games any lower than $1.50, and apparently if you do it right without wasting coupon value you should be able to buy every game at that price.

I'm maybe halfway through Bat and Switch, just scratched the catching game I bought, and carved an A+ bat in the bat making game. At my level in Bat and Switch right now the guy throws invisible pitches which is giving me terrible flashbacks to that Winnie the Pooh flash game and that loving rear end in a top hat Tigger. It looks like there's enough variation in each mini-game (besides the bat maker) that you should be able to pump at least an hour and a half, likely more, out of each depending on your ability.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

deadwing posted:

At my level in Bat and Switch right now the guy throws invisible pitches which is giving me terrible flashbacks to that Winnie the Pooh flash game and that loving rear end in a top hat Tigger. It looks like there's enough variation in each mini-game (besides the bat maker) that you should be able to pump at least an hour and a half, likely more, out of each depending on your ability.

I thought the same thing. These mini-games are great, I've bought three since I downloaded the game on Thursday and I'll continue to buy them after I feel like I've gotten the full value out of the previous ones.

I really like the weird unlockable costumes in the game - so far I have a Business Suit, Farm Outfit and Western Outfit. It's great that they were able to make such a weird game and just keep that tone consistent through everything in it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
The Club Nintendo rewards have been delayed by a couple of days again. That itself is no big deal, but how hard is it to pick out a few games to offer and make brief entries on the website? Is Nintendo just a few guys working out of a garage? Because they can't even deliver on the simplest things.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The Club Nintendo rewards have been delayed by a couple of days again. That itself is no big deal, but how hard is it to pick out a few games to offer and make brief entries on the website? Is Nintendo just a few guys working out of a garage? Because they can't even deliver on the simplest things.

Still shows April 6th for me, 'till when's it delayed?

I was all set to get hyped over nothing on Monday :/

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Actually I bet they have to go through a lot to decide what the free games will be and then generate enough shop codes to last a month.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The algorithm they use to determine the maximum amount of heartbreak via the reward offerings is pretty complex--sometimes it can take a few extra days to slog through.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Elliotw2 posted:

Actually I bet they have to go through a lot to decide what the free games will be and then generate enough shop codes to last a month.

Well with the Wii U game its pretty clear its just going to be another one from the 30 cent promotion from last year.

Probably Donkey Kong this time since they've skipped Super Metroid and I think they did all the other ones.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Still shows April 6th for me, 'till when's it delayed?

I was all set to get hyped over nothing on Monday :/

A few days ago it said the current rewards would last until the 4th, meaning we would have got the new ones on the fifth.Now it's been changed to the sixth so we'll get new ones on the seventh.

Agrias120 posted:

The algorithm they use to determine the maximum amount of heartbreak via the reward offerings is pretty complex--sometimes it can take a few extra days to slog through.

Haha. Maybe not heartbreak but utter incredulity at Nintendo's overestimation of what they think their old games are worth, and what makes a rewards program even worth existing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Really? Thought it was always the 6th since it's usually on Mondays when they go up.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Haha. Maybe not heartbreak but utter incredulity at Nintendo's overestimation of what they think their old games are worth, and what makes a rewards program even worth existing.

How do you think they should value their older games if they're overestimating them now? I know Super Mario RPG was just a Club Nintendo reward, and I know how much it would cost me to play that game if I wanted to buy it somewhere besides the E-Shop, so I don't really see how $7.99 or like 300 coins is an overestimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Misandu posted:

How do you think they should value their older games if they're overestimating them now? I know Super Mario RPG was just a Club Nintendo reward, and I know how much it would cost me to play that game if I wanted to buy it somewhere besides the E-Shop, so I don't really see how $7.99 or like 300 coins is an overestimation.

My only real problem was them labeling VC games as WiiU VC games when they were actually just Wii VC games* (*playable on the WiiU in Wii mode). They've since fixed that, though, so it's all gravy.