Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tidus is 17, Lulu is 22. Kimahri is, bafflingly enough, 25.

Also Seymour is 28 while Yuna is 17. Yeah...
Lulu is very mature for a 22 year old; I mean, geez, is everyone's life expectancy in RPGs just hellish short?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, just powered through the end of X. I... don't remember it being so piss easy.

As long as you do half the Monster Hunter stuff (you don't even have to do as far as Sunken Cave or Mt. Gagazet) you'll get enough mats to put "MP One" on THREE different weapons. You only need to put it on two. The enemies in Sin are very easy and give tons of AP, so you should have no problem getting Lulu to Ultima. In fact, I got Rikku to Flare at the same time and taught them both to Yuna. Hopped Lulu over to get Doublecast, which Yuna already had. The last bosses died without really doing anything at all thanks to Auto-Haste on Yuna and Doublecast-Ultima spam.

Which is funny, I guess, because the Monster Hunting thing is so easy (up until the later areas of course) and it's the one sidequest you'd have to be completely inept to miss. I literally didn't even USE Quick Hit or any of that other stuff.

Also, Tidus is a dick. "Hey so I'm just gonna disappear forever, I didn't tell you this earlier because Reasons and don't be sad, okay laters!"

edit: And the fact that Spira turns into this party place with literal J-Pop singing makes perfect sense coming after a time when people get hosed up and die every 6 months

precision fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 3, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Lulu is very mature for a 22 year old; I mean, geez, is everyone's life expectancy in RPGs just hellish short?

Well in this RPG, yes. It is.

I just started playing FFX HD for the first time in a super long time and man, how does anybody hate Tidus? He's such a goof. He's like a big puppy. A big, stupid puppy.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
And of course he's not even a week being in Spira and he's dreaming about the two cute girls he's met fighting over him! And of his abusive father as well. :smith: In all seriousness, Tidus is actually one of my favorite JRPG heroes. I dunno, I'm just cool with him. :shobon:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm cool with Tidus because he's such a moronic goofy dork. X is totally not a serious game and Tidus exemplifies that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tidus is both likable and unlikable for the exact same reasons. He's a gloriously flawed and imperfect person. He's a sports jock with all he ego that comes with that. His design is dreadful but I like the small touch of him dying his hair. Does he do it to try and separate himself from his dad? Or for sheer vanity? So much of Tidus' character is caught between being a superficial dope and a guy with legitimate issues and that is realistic characterization IMO.

One part that always "spoke" to me if I might be cliched is when you're at Killika Temple. Narrator Tidus says:
Even ten years after he left...just thinking about my old man got me angry. But maybe that was just my way of keeping him... Nah.

It's little stuff like that which makes it easy to relate to him.

He's not my favorite JRPG protagonist but he's pretty well done for the most part.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

:allears: oh man, this thread.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Tidus is actually a decent character since he goes through changes throughout the story and has actual flaws and emotions. A lot of the most 'popular' FF heroes tend to be one dimensional 'stoic' types that I think are boring.

Yeah, Tidus is a goof and acts stupid a lot but considering his circumstances (pampered all-star jock, thrown into a strange and alien world) it's kinda believable.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

X is totally not a serious game and Tidus exemplifies that.

I was about to say Despite a giant doom whale destroying cities at random but then realized how dumb that sentence was.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

Tidus is actually a decent character since he goes through changes throughout the story and has actual flaws and emotions. A lot of the most 'popular' FF heroes tend to be one dimensional 'stoic' types that I think are boring.

Yeah, Tidus is a goof and acts stupid a lot but considering his circumstances (pampered all-star jock, thrown into a strange and alien world) it's kinda believable.

Tidus is probably the one FF protagonist you're most likely to know in real life.

In fact, he reminds me of Yosuke in P4. Something about being a slight show-off.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have decided to go the "Tape the controller" route for AP/EXP grinding in X-2 I am at Mushroom Rock. I got to level 20 by doing the same thing on Mi'ihen but I forgot Tonberrys are on Mushroom Rock so when I checked recently, they were fighting one, but they still kick it's rear end. I think I can go to work and not worry about the girls dying on me.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I really don't like characters like Tidus or Yosuke. They just make such a hassle out of everything, I don't like hanging out with people like that.

Plus the whole "overcompensating for my deep insecurities" trait which irks me.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Speaking of things we like about FFX but many don't, despite the dopey dialogue, I've always like the romance between Tidus and Yuna. Mainly because unlike soooo many JRPG couples (and a lot of other examples in media in general) they just seem like two people who liked and were attracted to each other from the get-go. No forced bickering or resentment or other bullshit. I find it kinda refreshing.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Excels posted:

I really don't like characters like Tidus or Yosuke. They just make such a hassle out of everything, I don't like hanging out with people like that.

Plus the whole "overcompensating for my deep insecurities" trait which irks me.

I'm not trying to single you out here or anything, but I hear this sort of thing a lot (not even necessarily about those two characters, but just in general), and I've always been sorta curious about something. You say that you don't like these characters, and that's cool and all, but do you feel like they are bad characters, or good/passable characters that you dislike for personal reasons?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Golden Battler posted:

I'm not trying to single you out here or anything, but I hear this sort of thing a lot (not even necessarily about those two characters, but just in general), and I've always been sorta curious about something. You say that you don't like these characters, and that's cool and all, but do you feel like they are bad characters, or good/passable characters that you dislike for personal reasons?

I think characters should be interesting to watch and listen to, so if a character is deliberately designed to be That Annoying Guy Everyone Knows, I probably don't like them by default.

I get that they're supposed to be flawed and everything but I don't really care about their problems

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Isn't the point of flawed characters to watch them overcome their flaws, though? I'd consider character development to be more interesting than static characters.

Though it all comes down to preferences in the end so eh. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really dislike characters who are not flawed but a lot of people respond really badly to characters who begin annoying and evolve out of it, to the point they won't reach the point they evolve or will remember them based on their first impression instead of their developmnet. It's something you gotta take into account when writing this stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Buffs are actually pretty useful in X. The buff abilities can be used to stack buffs up to 5 times and they last till the end of the battle. I can't remember if they last on characters who are KO'd + revived, you'll usually have to re-cast Haste at any rate.

Cheer at the start of the game is really good, it should boost your strength enough to get some Overkills on most enemies which will net you more sphere levels. Aim is a favourite of mine for the mid-game as it lets Auron/Kimahri swat fliers like a pro.

This is good to know, thanks. Is there a guide somewhere that explains the differences between the international version (I assume this is what I'm playing now) and the original? Mostly thinking about the sphere grid I guess but anything else will be helpful. I noticed the big change in the sphere grid right away because I don't remember having this much choice right away with Tidus. I'm tempted to get haste then do an immediate about face and go get all the break spells.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

I just started on FFX HD and Titus' face really bothers me, did anyone else feel that way? It's like a doll with really creepy eyes.

Also I think I remember being spoiled by buff spells actually being worth a drat in FF13, are any aside from haste worth it? I seem to remember not really using them last time I played X.

Tidus' new facial modeling or whatever makes him look like a perpetual bee-sting victim. It's the only complaint I have about the game I just can't shake.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's all kinds of character development. Like Imp said, often a flawed protagonist will be judged on first impressions and people won't accept that they changed and grew out of it. I guess that's part of why I hate Lightning so much in XIII.

Tidus is an example of a relatively realistically flawed protagonist. Compare to someone like Cecil or Cloud who also have development but are struggling with more....fantastical issues. I think that "larger than life" quality attracts more people than a more realistic approach like witH Tidus. (not that Cloud's issues didn't have a root in something we can all relate to - his insecurity and weakness and all that. it's just that these fed into being mind-controlled by alien cells and multiple personalities and yeah)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess it's just a matter of presentation. Cloud doesn't go into his issues until late in the game (mostly because he doesn't even know he has issues), while Tidus is just constantly beset with them because... well, issues like Tidus' don't just suddenly vanish when you wake up in a new world. Didn't help he kept running into things that reminded him of his dad.

As annoying as it is to play through, I actually really like the scene where Tidus learns the Jecht shot. It's really great how if you clear it, Tidus just goes "Eh, it's just a normal shot."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

BlitzBlast posted:

Isn't the point of flawed characters to watch them overcome their flaws, though? I'd consider character development to be more interesting than static characters.

Though it all comes down to preferences in the end so eh. v:shobon:v

There are many kinds of flaws- the trick is to find ones that don't immediately make the audience dislike the character. I really can't stand Squall, and Tidus to a lesser extent, for the same reason- among their starting flaws are their grating personalities. It's a superficial flaw, and one that makes the audience dislike the protagonist for the first 10+ hours of a game. That does create a bad first impression that really sticks with you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

There are many kinds of flaws- the trick is to find ones that don't immediately make the audience dislike the character. I really can't stand Squall, and Tidus to a lesser extent, for the same reason- among their starting flaws are their grating personalities. It's a superficial flaw, and one that makes the audience dislike the protagonist for the first 10+ hours of a game. That does create a bad first impression that really sticks with you.

I used to hate Squall, until I realized he was the only person who both wasn't an idiot and was somewhat sane in the entire game. Everyone else is an idiotic fuckwit with superpowers.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess it's just a matter of presentation. Cloud doesn't go into his issues until late in the game (mostly because he doesn't even know he has issues), while Tidus is just constantly beset with them because... well, issues like Tidus' don't just suddenly vanish when you wake up in a new world. Didn't help he kept running into things that reminded him of his dad.

As annoying as it is to play through, I actually really like the scene where Tidus learns the Jecht shot. It's really great how if you clear it, Tidus just goes "Eh, it's just a normal shot."

Learning the Jecht Shot is the best example of how I have grown. As a kid, I couldn't do it and I thought it was really hard. But when I got X a couple years ago and played it again, it was so absurdly easy.

On teh topic of character development, and related to the fact I'm gonna be starting the Tales franchise, isn't there a Tales character named...Luke I think it was? I read a lot of people praising his development. But then there wa another group that said after his development, he had no real personality or character.

The same thing sort of happens with Cloud. After he screws his head on straight...what does he really do? For characters like Cloud, the journey is ultimately far more interesting than the finish.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Squall is an especially bizarre case in that he abruptly resolves like 50% of all his problems simply by having Rinoa "die" halfway through the game. He suddenly starts spilling all his personal poo poo to her dead body, like all he needed the whole time was a comatose friend to just sit there and listen for a while.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After he deals with his issues, Cloud sets thing straight with the team and then moseys off to save the world for real.

...After sabotaging all of Shinra's attempt to save it first, of course. :v:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

After he deals with his issues, Cloud sets thing straight with the team and then moseys off to save the world for real.

...After sabotaging all of Shinra's attempt to save it first, of course. :v:

I really liked the way Cloud's development was handled. At first they show him like some standoffish, edgy mercenary who doesn't give a poo poo about anything, and then here and there the "cracks" start to show up, the inconsistencies... and then it just comes crashing down at the end of Disc 2 and if you were a kid playing this back in '97 it was like "Everything I knew was WRONG!"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Madmarker posted:

I used to hate Squall, until I realized he was the only person who both wasn't an idiot and was somewhat sane in the entire game. Everyone else is an idiotic fuckwit with superpowers.

Just because he's not an idiot doesn't mean he gets a free pass for being an rear end in a top hat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Excels posted:

Squall is an especially bizarre case in that he abruptly resolves like 50% of all his problems simply by having Rinoa "die" halfway through the game. He suddenly starts spilling all his personal poo poo to her dead body, like all he needed the whole time was a comatose friend to just sit there and listen for a while.

...Where are you getting that from? That entire scene is basically the culmination of his problems and where he starts to realize that his worldview is hosed up and has a bit of a mental breakdown over it. Saying that he resolves his issues just like that is just as wrong as saying Cloud is a big, sad, mope whingebox from the start of the game and never stops. (Not counting the sequels and poo poo, obviously)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

...Where are you getting that from? That entire scene is basically the culmination of his problems and where he starts to realize that his worldview is hosed up and has a bit of a mental breakdown over it. Saying that he resolves his issues just like that is just as wrong as saying Cloud is a big, sad, mope whingebox from the start of the game and never stops. (Not counting the sequels and poo poo, obviously)

No, that assessment of Squall is pretty correct. Up until that point all he does is bitch about Rinoa and bitch about being the leader and bitch about this and bitch about that. He exhibits no real compassion for her, and treats her like an annoyance and a burden. Then she goes comatose and SUDDENLY all he can talk about is Rinoa and how he wants to hear her voice and how much he cares and how he'll do anything to make her better. It's totally jarring.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

He exhibits no real compassion for her, and treats her like an annoyance and a burden.

They have to convince Squall just to go save her life. It's actually hilarious.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

NikkolasKing posted:

On teh topic of character development, and related to the fact I'm gonna be starting the Tales franchise, isn't there a Tales character named...Luke I think it was? I read a lot of people praising his development. But then there wa another group that said after his development, he had no real personality or character.

Tales of the Abyss, the one with Luke, it all about that. Most of the characters (except for the older one) grow and mature and change over time. I loved it personally, when Luke was intolerable in the beginning.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Skychrono posted:

Tales of the Abyss, the one with Luke, it all about that. Most of the characters (except for the older one) grow and mature and change over time. I loved it personally, when Luke was intolerable in the beginning.

Insufferable pricks becoming cool bros later on is a fairly common theme in the "Tales of" series. Every Tales game has at least one Heel Face Turn.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Pierson posted:

It's also real obvious they're basing their english dialogue from the Japanese lip-movements. Aside from Yuna saying 'yes' like someone punched her in the gut I'd swear the acting gets twice as good the second the speaking character and therefore their lips aren't on-screen.

It seems like not only were the voice actors directed to try to match the lip-movements, but they also were constrained to match the time length of the original Japanese dialogue. The localization team might not have been able to change the timing on any of the cutscenes - or didn't have enough time/budget for it. It's why you get Yuna with so many weird "Yes" lines over the course of the game that sound like they're partially cut-off. If you assume that, it makes other lines like "WithYunabymyside" make sense despite no lip-syncing - they had to match the cutscene timing. It may also be why they add in so many 'you know' phrases at the end of sentences - it's lazy, but it's an easy way to more closely match the original timing.

This is all conjecture, but from what I've read about other Squaresoft/Square-Enix games, they never made things easy for their localizers. :v:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

This is all conjecture, but from what I've read about other Squaresoft/Square-Enix games, they never made things easy for their localizers. :v:

Square never made things easy for anyone, not even themselves or their developers.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Schwartzcough posted:

Just because he's not an idiot doesn't mean he gets a free pass for being an rear end in a top hat.

Maybe not for not being an idiot, but maybe for being abandoned by his family and his memory wiped by the weapons they use might give him a get out of jail free card? I felt Squalls reactions to the world he was trapped in were some of the most appropriate for any game protagonist in memory.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

"gently caress all of you guys" is a pretty appropriate response to FF8's cast.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I like Squall better as Robert.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I felt like Squall was the smartest character before, but I think that goes to Selphie now. They really should have just blown up the president's train car with a rocket launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Momomo posted:

I felt like Squall was the smartest character before, but I think that goes to Selphie now. They really should have just blown up the president's train car with a rocket launcher.

But that would hurt the train! Selphie would have felt guilty about it for the rest of the game.