Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Mexal posted:

It also makes him super whiny, annoying and amps up the melodrama for little gain.

Yeah, I don't like the direction they've taken him this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Shakugan posted:

Yeah, I don't like the direction they've taken him this season.

I appreciate the idea (Showing how Ollie is pretty drat flawed), but I'm not sure how much of the result can be blamed on writing/directing and how much boils down to "meh, it's CW".

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm hoping Slade ends EVERY episode trolling Team Arrow...

"John Diggle...Oliver told me he's TOTALLY COOL w/ bringing back slavery."

*single tear rols down Diggle's cheek*

[running away] "To The STROKE-MOBILE!"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ded posted:

Arrow Season 2: Oliver is always wrong

I really like this aspect. Someone else mentioned something about this before, but basically, Ollie was a spoiled rich kid when he first landed on the island. He spent five years there and, sure, okay, he learned some hardcore archery, fighting, and general survival skills, and that all allowed him to take to the streets and beat up criminals. But it doesn't magically give him wisdom in any other areas.

Arrow is a great superhero show because it's showing how Ollie is actually getting there. First season he wasn't even really a hero, he kind of was not that far above a murderer with his heart in the right place. Now, he's a hero, but he's still working on that whole "super" part. So he's still screwing up a lot.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

XboxPants posted:

I really like this aspect. Someone else mentioned something about this before, but basically, Ollie was a spoiled rich kid when he first landed on the island. He spent five years there and, sure, okay, he learned some hardcore archery, fighting, and general survival skills, and that all allowed him to take to the streets and beat up criminals. But it doesn't magically give him wisdom in any other areas.

Arrow is a great superhero show because it's showing how Ollie is actually getting there. First season he wasn't even really a hero, he kind of was not that far above a murderer with his heart in the right place. Now, he's a hero, but he's still working on that whole "super" part. So he's still screwing up a lot.

This exactly. I'm totally onboard with where they're going, but tbh the execution is a bit off in parts.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So what's the bet that, after being taken down pretty easily by Ollie, Isabel takes the Mirakuru and they have a rematch?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BreakAtmo posted:

So what's the bet that, after being taken down pretty easily by Ollie, Isabel takes the Mirakuru and they have a rematch?

I'm down with this.
Also Glau as de facto Ravager would be cool (so would Laurel, but really, any Ravager is good Ravager).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BreakAtmo posted:

Or she fights Roy and Ollie fights Slade.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
If Ollie has already mastered all personal development, they would have a hard time giving him an actual character arc. Given how much stagnation, especially personal one, hurts comics, having him develop as a person can only lead to good thinks.

If this is actually the reason behind his behavior, and it's not just some standard soap opera drama that CW is still pretty prone to put into the show (see: the last episode).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

e X posted:

If Ollie has already mastered all personal development, they would have a hard time giving him an actual character arc. Given how much stagnation, especially personal one, hurts comics, having him develop as a person can only lead to good thinks.

If this is actually the reason behind his behavior, and it's not just some standard soap opera drama that CW is still pretty prone to put into the show (see: the last episode).

End of first season he learned he couldn't just be a killer. What's his next lesson?

"But to save my city, I can't be the hypocritical rear end in a top hat I once was. I must be... something else? Not sure what other option there is. Still working on it."

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Kind of disappointed that Ollie didn't call Waller to interrogate Slade given she was tracking him and wouldn't have had much problem vigorously interrogating him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At this point, to save his city Ollie just has to move.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

At this point, to save his city Ollie just has to move.

Ollie will move to Hub City. I am sure that will be less corrupt.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Or she fights Roy and Ollie fights Slade.

You know what would be hilariously out of left field? If it was the reverse. Like, sure, you want Ollie and Slade to have their designated final battle, but sometimes poo poo just doesn't work out that way.

I also would've loved if Season 1 had ended with Ollie having to save people in the quake, with Diggle being forced to kick Merlyn's rear end solo.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

I want Thea to somehow get a hold of it. gently caress relevance, that'd just be some fun poo poo to see. I was actually kinda hoping that something like that was going to happen when she got kidnapped.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Joe Gillian posted:

I want Thea to somehow get a hold of it. gently caress relevance, that'd just be some fun poo poo to see. I was actually kinda hoping that something like that was going to happen when she got kidnapped.

It'll go to everyone eventually.

“Mirakuru for some, miniature Queen '14 flags for others!"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

I'm down with this.
Also Glau as de facto Ravager would be cool (so would Laurel, but really, any Ravager is good Ravager).

I was hoping the fight would drag out a bit more, but it makes sense that she's a flunkie and Oliver and Slade are an even match. Either way, I had a :haw: moment at "Sins of the father are the sins of the son," line. That's the Isobel Rochev we were expecting at the start of the season.

Slade owned bones this episode though. Except for that dorky rear end sword throw. :cmon:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Slade still needs to call Ollie or Thea late at night just to tell them that he banged their mom.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 4, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dracorion posted:

Episode was great, but I was kinda hoping Merlyn would show up and we'd have a badass villain showdown moment.

Sadly the opportunity seems to have come and gone, unless Slade comes up with another way to troll Ollie via Thea.

Don't worry, John Barrowman posted yesterday that he was waiting for a flight to Vancouver.

He's on his way back to Starling.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I think one of TVIV's worst rules is that casting spoilers aren't considered spoilers, even though they clearly spoil events in future episodes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shakugan posted:

I think one of TVIV's worst rules is that casting spoilers aren't considered spoilers, even though they clearly spoil events in future episodes.

So did you think that when Barrowman showed up in State vs Queen that that was going to be his last appearance in the show ever? Here's what a real spoiler looks like: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkTkU7TCcAApWrR.png

Also I liked Felicity breaking the standard comic book convention of telling the hero that he can't go off by himself by telling him to do that.

Also:

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 3, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

zoux posted:

So did you think that when Barrowman showed up in State vs Queen that that was going to be his last appearance in the show ever?

Also I liked Felicity breaking the standard comic book convention of telling the hero that he can't go off by himself by telling him to do that.

No, but "hey guys, here's information that almost surely indicates that Merlyn will be in one of the upcoming 2 or 3 episodes" is without a doubt a spoiler, and now with that certainty it'll no longer be a fun surprise.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Slade still needs to call Ollie or Theo late at night just to tell them that he banged their mom.

Given the rate of infidelity in the Queen family, this might be the truth. Which, granted, doesn't change much.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought that Moira was thinking that Merlyn was behind the kidnappings.

Hoping she'd tell Oliver just to add another level of complication/worry.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm hoping Slade ends EVERY episode trolling Team Arrow...

"John Diggle...Oliver told me he's TOTALLY COOL w/ bringing back slavery."

*single tear rols down Diggle's cheek*

[running away] "To The STROKE-MOBILE!"

"John Diggle! It's time you heard the truth...about Oliver Queen!"

"...what truth?"

"He sees you as more of a 'work friend.' Not a real friend. He hates hanging out with you outside work."

:911:

*ARROW CREDITS*

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Seriously? CW!!! :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sorry you had to find out the truth in gif form.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

zoux posted:

I'm sorry you had to find out the truth in gif form.

Slade Wilson can deliver me harsh truths anytime in whatever form he pleases. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shakugan posted:

No, but "hey guys, here's information that almost surely indicates that Merlyn will be in one of the upcoming 2 or 3 episodes" is without a doubt a spoiler, and now with that certainty it'll no longer be a fun surprise.

I'm sorry, I didn't think of the impact that would have on people who didn't know and were trying to stay surprised.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

zoux posted:

So did you think that when Barrowman showed up in State vs Queen that that was going to be his last appearance in the show ever? Here's what a real spoiler looks like: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkTkU7TCcAApWrR.png

What the heck is this?

edit: Oh, it's her. https://31.media.tumblr.com/d238ac9ed99525e3c6bbf0f84d0f7274/tumblr_n3gpp1ziZZ1r0a0smo2_250.jpg

Xealot posted:

"Hello Ms. Smoak. I'm here to tell you the truth...Oliver would totally hit it if he believed you'd be cool, but he doesn't think you'd be cool for a hot loving second. Deathstroke, out!"

This is hilarious, and I want to hear Manu read it in his Deathstrokiest voice.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 3, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm such a nerd I read all these fake death stroke truth bombs in his voice and I keep laughing.

Holy poo poo that work friend thing got a laugh

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Did it bother anyone else when Ollie told Roy to aim his bow next time, when in a previous episode Yao Fe told Ollie that the secret to archery was to not aim?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Ollie is a poo poo teacher, even when he's giving his apprentice a hard time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ollie is poo poo at everything it seems, and I grow a bit tired of it.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Torrannor posted:

Ollie is poo poo at everything it seems, and I grow a bit tired of it.

I dunno dude, he's pretty good at shooting arrows.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Error 404 posted:

I'm down with this.

So are we thinking that Glau takes an arrow in the eye?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope Ollie kills Glau just as Slade realizes he has moved on and found the new love of his life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

homo punching bag posted:

I hope Ollie kills Glau just as Slade realizes he has moved on and found the new love of his life.

Ugh you just made me realize that it's all going to come down to Slade making Ollie choose whether Sarah or Laurel dies...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

Ugh you just made me realize that it's all going to come down to Slade making Ollie choose whether Sarah or Laurel dies...

You mean between Felicity and Laurel. Sarah will already be dead :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

And then he's going to choose Sara, and Slade is going to kill her anyway.

• Locked thread