Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

That was Michael. Wasn't Kolya just gunned down after a western style pistol duel with Sheppard?

Yeah, they faced off and he went down like a massive loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
All this death talk reminds me that for all of Weir's blandness and her questionable replicator storyline, she went down like a badass. Spacing yourself and with your last breath tricking your companions into spacing themselves is as good of a redemption as they come.

Too bad they couldn't the real actress for that, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

All this death talk reminds me that for all of Weir's blandness and her questionable replicator storyline, she went down like a badass. Spacing yourself and with your last breath tricking your companions into spacing themselves is as good of a redemption as they come.

Which one? There are three Weir's and the best actor was 3.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Blonde Weir, Skeletor Weir, and Young Hot Weir.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

That was Michael. Wasn't Kolya just gunned down after a western style pistol duel with Sheppard?

Yes. It was in the second episode with the "Lucius" guy who always drugged/tricked people into liking him. Sheppard finally shot him in a place not-in-the-arm.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don't quite get the hate on Weir, I found her character to be awesome. /shrug

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Mu Zeta posted:

Blonde Weir, Skeletor Weir, and Young Hot Weir.

Tori Higgenson or however the gently caress you spell it, is p hot bro.

FRAN was hotter though, yes.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
Michael's death was actually pretty great until the very end; bad rear end ninja fight with Sheppard then Teyla just had to get the last "foot" in. though I don't really blame her. The whole thing looked awkward when she came quietly out of no where (on the LEDGE of like a 300 foot drop)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JetsGuy posted:

I don't quite get the hate on Weir, I found her character to be awesome. /shrug

They made her very wishy-washy and she basically always caved immediately to Shepard. Even though you could say the same of SG-1 and Hammond of Texas and O'Neill, it never felt like she was the one in control of anything. Which is weird because it's not as if the actress wasn't able to command some presence when the script actually called for it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

vandelay industries posted:

Michael's death was actually pretty great until the very end; bad rear end ninja fight with Sheppard then Teyla just had to get the last "foot" in. though I don't really blame her. The whole thing looked awkward when she came quietly out of no where (on the LEDGE of like a 300 foot drop)

I was so *not* invested in the TEYLA'S CHILD bullshit story line, i guess we were supposed to be all "gently caress yeah" for her getting revenge on him or some poo poo, but holy gently caress.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've watched Atlantis two or three times now, and I had no idea there was a third Weir. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GodFish posted:

I've watched Atlantis two or three times now, and I had no idea there was a third Weir. :v:

That's because she's a WINO.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

GodFish posted:

One weir in stargate sg1, one alive weir, one ghost in the machine weir

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GodFish posted:

Remember the blonde woman from the episode of SG-1 that set up Atlantis? The one that briefly took over the SGC? That was also Weir, they changed the actress for Atlantis.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Idran posted:

Remember the blonde woman from the episode of SG-1 that set up Atlantis? The one that briefly took over the SGC? That was also Weir, they changed the actress for Atlantis.

Looking back, I can't tell if I never noticed FRAN/Weir looked nothing like normal Weir, or if I forgot that she didn't. I probably didn't even notice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Idran posted:

It's a real shame because SG1 Weir was a drat sight more tolerable than the one we got. Yeah she was written as the equivalent of a nagging wife to be shown the right way by Heroman, but even taking that into account, the actress just wasn't particularly endearing.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
I have watched the whole run of SG1 a few times. I am doing Atlantis now which I only ever watched during its original TV run. I see a lot of people in here talking about villains. I have to say the more I think about it the biggest rear end in a top hat villains in all the Stargate shows are the Ancients. For super advanced beings they did nothing but gently caress everything up and then left. They were even so kind as to leave all their poo poo laying around to gently caress up things after they were gone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jessica Steen was by all reports, a huge raging bitch and that lead to the recasting.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I actually quite like(d) Weir. It's true the character could have been given a lot more to do but given that she was in the Hammond role I think she pulled it off really well. I totally get why Torri Higginson was frustrated over the lack of direction for her character though, Carter seems to have had the same problem since she turned up, she went from a soldier kicking rear end in the field to sitting in an office.

Honestly other than Teyla and the Replicators I'm really enjoying Atlantis so far. It's not as good as SG1 was in its prime but few shows are.

Primworm
Aug 19, 2008

Six pokeballs, more than enough to catch anything that moves.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I actually quite like(d) Weir. It's true the character could have been given a lot more to do but given that she was in the Hammond role I think she pulled it off really well. I totally get why Torri Higginson was frustrated over the lack of direction for her character though, Carter seems to have had the same problem since she turned up, she went from a soldier kicking rear end in the field to sitting in an office.

Honestly other than Teyla and the Replicators I'm really enjoying Atlantis so far. It's not as good as SG1 was in its prime but few shows are.

The best part of Atlantis is the character growth between the cast if you ask me. You can tell they are having fun with it and it makes the ride that much better.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
It was so weird and off-putting to see Carter in Atlantis as the leader. We're all use to her brilliance as well as being the only one to be able to solve many, many problems all on top of being an all-around bad rear end. In Atlantis, she did jack poo poo since Rodney took already filled her previous role. She was just ... there. At least with Weir we weren't expecting her to blow up a star to destroy a Wraith ship or whatever. Loved Woolsy; he had one of the best growths as a character, going back to the middle of the SG-1 run.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Primworm posted:

The best part of Atlantis is the character growth between the cast if you ask me. You can tell they are having fun with it and it makes the ride that much better.

Yeah absolutely. There's real chemistry there and it makes the stupid poo poo a lot easier to live with

vandelay industries posted:

It was so weird and off-putting to see Carter in Atlantis as the leader. We're all use to her brilliance as well as being the only one to be able to solve many, many problems all on top of being an all-around bad rear end. In Atlantis, she did jack poo poo since Rodney took already filled her previous role. She was just ... there. At least with Weir we weren't expecting her to blow up a star to destroy a Wraith ship or whatever. Loved Woolsy; he had one of the best growths as a character, going back to the middle of the SG-1 run.

I just watched an episode without her in it and I had completely forgotten she existed until she turned up in the next one. It's such a waste of a decent actress/character

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 4, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's such a waste of a decent actress/character

I see that you didn't see Sanctuary.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

IRQ posted:

I see that you didn't see Sanctuary.

I don't even know what that is

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I don't even know what that is

You're lucky for that.

Basically a terrible Sci-Fi show that was made no better by the fact that Amanda Tapping was in it.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I kinda liked the male lead in it, up until the drugged dance in the streets of faux-India.

Also Nikola was the same biologist guy from Stargate Atlantis.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I didn't mind the show too much. The male lead seemed obviously written for Michael Shanks.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

So, by season 3, Farscape is complete and utter poo poo. The villains are dull, the action is bad, and pretty much every character outside of the original cast is loving terrible.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Sammus posted:

So, by season 3, Farscape is complete and utter poo poo. The villains are dull, the action is bad, and pretty much every character outside of the original cast is loving terrible.

By the end of the season, you'll be apologizing for that kind of statement. Season 3, after the Crichton duplication, is absolutely the best the show ever gets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sammus posted:

Counterpoint: You have an MLP avatar.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Counterpoint: You have an MLP avatar.

Someone thought it would be funny to give that to me for scamming pubbies out of hundreds of millions of ISK in the EVE based FPS Dust514. But thanks for noticing.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Im on the Tao of Rodney now. I forgot how much I ended up loving McKay as the series progressed.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Sammus posted:

Someone thought it would be funny to give that to me for scamming pubbies out of hundreds of millions of ISK in the EVE based FPS Dust514.

This looks like you just had a stroke in the middle of writing this sentence.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sammus posted:

Finish the season, it's actually pretty great by Farscape standards and does some really interesting stuff by any-TV-show standards. After that it gets so bad I couldn't keep going.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cycowolf posted:

Im on the Tao of Rodney now. I forgot how much I ended up loving McKay as the series progressed.

If you make it through that episode with dry eyes you're a terrible monster.

Hewlett posted:

This looks like you just had a stroke in the middle of writing this sentence.

It's probably something Brony-related.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Rhyno posted:

If you make it through that episode with dry eyes you're a terrible monster.

I believe you are thinking of The Shrine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

richardfun posted:

I believe you are thinking of The Shrine.

Whoops, you are correct.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sammus posted:

It gets better again, but never that good. The internet will tell you otherwise, however. It was always middling at best to me, and was an incoherent mess in the last 2-3 seasons.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

IRQ posted:

It gets better again, but never that good. The internet will tell you otherwise, however. It was always middling at best to me, and was an incoherent mess in the last 2-3 seasons.

It was only four seasons so you are saying it's an incoherent mess during the time it finds it's legs. Also season three is amazing when the crew splits and season 4 has the episodes on earth and the amazing finale. Season 3 also had that amazing time travel episode.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

loving exploding tumors. I didn't realize it was this episode when I started watching. Figured one more before bed, wish I hadn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Rhyno posted:

Whoops, you are correct.

Nonetheless, Tao of Rodney is pretty damned touching.