Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Having looked it up now, it seems you're right, it's a 6+4 setup all the way.

Still an obnoxious amount of spark plug wires to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don't know if everyone missed it, or no one cared, but not only do the fenders extend, but so do the side skirts. I'm kind of surprised the bumpers don't as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Is there any benefit to wires vs. rails?

nm - I read up on NAXJA. Looks like it would be silly to mess with it if you're not having problems.

There's only one good reason - if you switch from the failure prone 0331 cylinder head to an earlier 0630 or 7120 head, there aren't any milled/drilled/tapped mounting bosses on it for the coil rail, which is also what the coil rail grounds through. People either fabricate a hinky bracket to hold and ground the coil pack, or swap to a Viper 6 post, which also has the benefit of making it so you can put an ignition tester on the thing or pull one coil wire at a time to test things. There's absolutely no performance improvement though, the coils are exactly the same electrically, which is why it's such an easy swap - the Viper uses exactly the same JTEC+ ECU as the jeeps and dodges, so they designed the coils to be electrically equivalent as well.

The 0331 head is a great example of something that belongs in this thread...

0331s aint all they're cracked up to be...

(that crack happens on a lot of them. It lets water out of the cooling system into the oiling system, which washes the bearings out.)

Oh hello there, rod.

(rods don't like it when you wash their bearings out.)

Here is one a friend of mine blew up. 00+ XJ 4.0s also seem to drop piston skirts more than others. This one had a worrying knock so a friend of mine got a spare engine lined up... still decided to drive from MA to Rausch Creek for a weekend trip a few summers ago. The knock got worse and worse as he drove, till it was really bad. The vehicle still drove right before the engine was torn apart and this picture was taken :smug:

Moral of the story: stay away from 00+ Jeep 4.0s.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 3, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darchangel posted:

I don't know if everyone missed it, or no one cared, but not only do the fenders extend, but so do the side skirts. I'm kind of surprised the bumpers don't as well.

It's to help you step into the car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's a purpose built show car that will never see the road. Why not throw every single possible thing at it to promote your shop. Hell, back when I judged vw shows, there were people with chromed disc brake rotors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

veedubfreak posted:

It's a purpose built show car that will never see the road. Why not throw every single possible thing at it to promote your shop. Hell, back when I judged vw shows, there were people with chromed disc brake rotors.

Oh, I get "because show car". Just never seen extending fenders and side skirts, which I guess is why it has them. New and different is good, no matter how useless, on a show car.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Don't question me, this is the correct thread.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's going to make a lot of drag.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
But it'll hold all your media devices - consoles, cable boxes/DVRs, DVD/Bluray players, even your receiver/amp! And the flatscreen sits right up top, too!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

drukqs posted:

Where's the Mr Fusion?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seats six for Thanksgiving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kastein posted:

I know a few people who just take the shift lever with them when they park. Comes off the top of the transmission easy enough...

Hell, even just having 3 pedals is often a theft deterrent these days.

It's worked for me. The rear end-beat 95 Sonoma I drive doesn't have door locks and the ignition key's snapped off in the tumblers, and I keep leaving it on the street in my shady-rear end neighborhood. Nobody's even tried to steal it yet. I think they're afraid of the clutch. Or lockjaw.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Darchangel posted:

Oh, I get "because show car". Just never seen extending fenders and side skirts, which I guess is why it has them. New and different is good, no matter how useless, on a show car.

Back when I used to care about show cars, I remember some of the crazy poo poo that would turn up at Autorama. Lambo doors up front, gullwing doors in the rear. Hood opens sideways, trunk opens in reverse. Totally useless poo poo that was done purely for "wow" factor. Half the cars were pushed in because putting oil in the engine meant you might get oil on the shiny engine bay if something leaks. God forbid you have to start it and discolor the exhaust. This brings me back to poo poo like chrome plated brake rotors. May god have mercy on your soul if you have to hit the brake pedal and scratch em.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

veedubfreak posted:

May god have mercy on your soul if you have to hit the brake pedal and scratch em.

Seems like you could replace the brake pads with microfiber cloths in that case.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The camera on my phone just broke, but I managed to use my dashcam to capture what was possibly the worst modded car I've ever seen. It was entirely made of horrible bondo and bodykit type nonsense, fart cans, scoops etc. I wish I could have gotten better pictures, but holy poo poo it was insanity. I'm fairly certain it was an early 90's accord - but who knows for sure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sure looks like a 4 door Fiero to me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Back when I used to care about show cars, I remember some of the crazy poo poo that would turn up at Autorama. Lambo doors up front, gullwing doors in the rear. Hood opens sideways, trunk opens in reverse. Totally useless poo poo that was done purely for "wow" factor. Half the cars were pushed in because putting oil in the engine meant you might get oil on the shiny engine bay if something leaks. God forbid you have to start it and discolor the exhaust. This brings me back to poo poo like chrome plated brake rotors. May god have mercy on your soul if you have to hit the brake pedal and scratch em.

So what you're really saying is, is that show cars and their owners are loving stupid? That's all I got out of that.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

You can waste money on a lot of stupid things. Show cars are one of those.

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ror posted:

Oh, there are monitors under the lambo fenders. That makes more sense, but it's still pretty fuzzy.

No. No it doesn't. Don't imply that anything about that rolling fiasco makes any sense, ever again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wallaka posted:

You can waste money on a lot of stupid things. Show cars are one of those.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Exactly. Show cars ain't fast. :colbert:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

drukqs posted:

Nice french fry cutter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

So what you're really saying is, is that show cars and their owners are loving stupid? That's all I got out of that.

Pretty much. We had a 66 Deluxe VW Van that we showed and won 2nd place for the year with. But we drove it to every single show. The car that beat us in points was a friend of ours with said chromed disc brakes on a pan off 71 Super Beetle. They had 25k+ spent on that car back in the 90s. My parents sold the 66 back in like 98 for 6600 bucks :( That bus would be worth upwards of 30k now if they had kept it.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
On one hand, it is a €3000/$4100 bodykit for a relatively common car. On the other, it looks like this.

The website has more pictures of it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tonton Macoute posted:

On one hand, it is a €3000/$4100 bodykit for a relatively common car. On the other, it looks like this.

The website has more pictures of it.

So it's a bodykit that costs more than probably 90% of E30s still on the road are worth.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

And looks significantly worse than almost every E30 on the road.

e: I guess that applies to basically every body kit ever made though.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I would like to see what it looks like when the kind of people who put on body kits put it together

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Bitchtard posted:

I would like to see what it looks like when the kind of people who put on body kits put it together

The kind of people who put on poo poo body kits don't have $5000+ laying around to order a bodykit from overseas for their clapped out E30. It's a non-issue.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I actually kind of like it, but I'm guessing it'll look terrible once you get it away from the perfection of a photo shoot set. In the light of day and a little dirt/dust and it'll look really tacky, especially with those tail lights. At night it should still look pretty interesting.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
I would drive the poo poo out of that.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Bajaha posted:

I actually kind of like it, but I'm guessing it'll look terrible once you get it away from the perfection of a photo shoot set. In the light of day and a little dirt/dust and it'll look really tacky, especially with those tail lights. At night it should still look pretty interesting.

It doesn't seem like a good thing to say that the kit looks really great, as long as it's very very dark out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Galler posted:

And looks significantly worse than almost every E30 on the road.

e: I guess that applies to basically every body kit ever made though.

Figured out what it reminds me of.

Only the greatest from will.i.am

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Toymachine posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of that.

Do you know what an actual E30 looks like because I feel like if you don't that's the only reason why you would say something like this

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

rscott posted:

Do you know what an actual E30 looks like because I feel like if you don't that's the only reason why you would say something like this

So what you're saying here is that if that were a completely unique car you wouldn't have a problem with his liking it? You just don't like that he likes it because it blemishes one of your precious E30s?

I'm one hell of an E30 fanboy (I've had three, and will have another if I can find a nice example), but if that's his thing, that's his thing.

I personally fuckin' hate it (E30M3 is the best looking car ever), but drat dude.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

He's saying that this car looks like a dead animal's butthole and the E30 is a gloriously sublime car for cool people and dude obviously hasn't seen the magic that is the E30. That said, even if that was a kit for a 1987 Cavalier it would still look like a dead animal's butthole.

I happen to agree.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

The spirit of the Gold Taurus lives on in it's later model brethren. Also just noticed 18's [?] up front, 15's on the rear.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I really like the extra effort put in to painting the caravan to match.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
That E30 is trying to be round and square at the same time and it's very appropriate for this thread. The wheel gap doesn't do much for me, either.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

H1KE posted:

The spirit of the Gold Taurus lives on in it's later model brethren. Also just noticed 18's [?] up front, 15's on the rear.

The AU Falcon was ugly enough without that crap slapped on it. $10 says he's got smaller wheels on the back because of cheaper rubber for burnouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It looks kind of like an E30 and a Range Rover Evoque had a baby. I dig it. Maybe dial it back a little bit.