Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
"People would feel less threatened by the gays if they stopped throwing all those gay pride parades. Really it's perpetuating the problem" -- a clever, switched-on person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
People who pretend they're complete angels who have no prejudices are the worst, piss off you beep boop noob. Humans have emotions and reactions to trauma which aren't always ideologically correct to weenie liberals, oh no!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Fruity Gordo posted:

People who pretend they're complete angels who have no prejudices are the worst, piss off you beep boop noob. Humans have emotions and reactions to trauma which aren't always ideologically correct to weenie liberals, oh no!

*puts his teacup back on the saucer, leans backward* Well I never

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

"People would feel less threatened by the gays if they stopped throwing all those gay pride parades. Really it's perpetuating the problem" -- a clever, switched-on person
Janet Albrechtsen said on qanda once that she and a lot of Australians needed time to struggle with the idea of marriage equality. Thanks for struggling with my sexuality, straighties. :3:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
What the gently caress is going on in here

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
We're educating the huddled asses.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I guess it boils down to whether someone who is not being oppressed feels comfortable in telling the people that are being oppressed whether or not their reactions are justified. It seems that you do.

Because I understand the concept that hatred only breeds more hatred? Sure, let's go with your way though.

I mean, you have no idea of my background, race or culture. You have no idea if I've been oppressed before for any quality of my person. As someone who was bullied for a physical disability throughout my childhood and teenage life, does that mean any reaction I have would be justified? Of course not. Do I resent what happened? Totally, yes. Do I resent the people, who acted out of ignorance and peer pressure? Yes, to a degree. Does that justify any hatred or action I would take out on an able bodied "healthy" person for their actions? Never.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

Because I understand the concept that hatred only breeds more hatred? Sure, let's go with your way though.

I mean, you have no idea of my background, race or culture. You have no idea if I've been oppressed before for any quality of my person. As someone who was bullied for a physical disability throughout my childhood and teenage life, does that mean any reaction I have would be justified? Of course not. Do I resent what happened? Totally, yes. Do I resent the people, who acted out of ignorance and peer pressure? Yes, to a degree. Does that justify any hatred or action I would take out on an able bodied "healthy" person for their actions? Never.

Do you think people and systems can be racist without saying friend of the family?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
No one needs to know your background to decide that you're posting dumb liberal claptrap, they just need to read your posts.

You are focusing on the perceived impropriety of reactions to trauma rather than the systems and power structures that cause that trauma. It is ridiculous and a tool of oppression and capital hth.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 3, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Because I understand the concept that hatred only breeds more hatred?
That's a maxim, not an evidentiary-based belief. Those Germans sure do still hate us allies for doing them in in world war two, huh?

CrazyTolradi posted:

Look at this motherfucker playing the disability card. Oi, maybe you need to get over your persecution complex, mate.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Obviously people do hate other people and it would be stupid of me to think otherwise. I am a woman; I do not think that all men are evil or that all men are inherently sexist (that would be counter-productive of me), but that does not mean that I do not believe that institutional sexism is a thing. I am white. I don't think it's okay for anyone to be racist against anyone, but this does not mean I do not believe I have been afforded priveleges because I'm white, nor am I blind to institutional racism and racial oppression. I try to be aware of my prejudices and resist those where I can.

There is a maxim in the law of equity that says "One who seeks equity must do equity". I seek equality/equity on behalf of my gender. I believe I must also treat other people with equality/equity regardless of their background. If you believe differently, that is your prerogative, but I respectfully disagree.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mithranderp posted:

Obviously people do hate other people and it would be stupid of me to think otherwise. I am a woman; I do not think that all men are evil or that all men are inherently sexist (that would be counter-productive of me), but that does not mean that I do not believe that institutional sexism is a thing. I am white. I don't think it's okay for anyone to be racist against anyone, but this does not mean I do not believe I have been afforded priveleges because I'm white, nor am I blind to institutional racism and racial oppression. I try to be aware of my prejudices and resist those where I can.

There is a maxim in the law of equity that says "One who seeks equity must do equity". I seek equality/equity on behalf of my gender. I believe I must also treat other people with equality/equity regardless of their background. If you believe differently, that is your prerogative, but I respectfully disagree.

Ok nope.

gently caress off IWC.

Not this poo poo again.

gently caress. Off.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

If IWC wants to be a woman then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that and I applaud her bravery. I just don't want her posting here. Because she is IWC.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I'm imagining him getting in a dress and talking in a squeaky voice like he's on the Footy Show.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Fruity Gordo posted:

His dad is a man of colour iirc. Note the white step-dad.

man of colour is a racist term fruity you bigot it implies that whites dont have colour when they do, they're white, white is a colour

and anyway what is to be gained from lumping africans tgether with sri lankans and syrians

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not really sure what's going on in here but I like macadamia nut cookies.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
what happens if i hate white canadians, am i racist

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

hambeet posted:

what happens if i hate white canadians, am i racist

I too need to know the answer to this question.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
White people have historically attempted to enslave other people who are not white and are therefore bad.

Sources: being white, English heritage, Dutch heritage.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Murodese posted:

What the gently caress is going on in here

Yeah. Sometime I goto bed and miss out on the best stuff.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

doctawrong posted:

Yeah. Sometime I goto bed and miss out on the best stuff.

Same here, I regret going to bed before the crazy hit

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I had to miss out on a stand up comedy show last night in order to do an assignment, but luckily BB's barrel of laughs is here to cheer me up. Thanks, man. :unsmith:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
In an attempt to broaden my cultural horizons as an American I have begun to read auspol

Implants
Feb 14, 2007
UQ LNP club holding a refugee themed pub crawl.

http://imgur.com/xGlKgKt

I just. I can't even.

Implants fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 3, 2014

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Swan Oat posted:

In an attempt to broaden my cultural horizons as an American I have begun to read auspol

I'm sorry.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

CrazyTolradi posted:

I would posit that you weren't bullied enough to understand the resentment a systemically oppressed group of people would possess against their oppressors. It's all well and good to loftily say that hatred not a good thing for either side of the oppression, but until both sides are actually equal - as in treated equally and having equal opportunity - there's going to be justifiable resentment from the group that's been hosed over.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Like my mother would yell at my brother and I when we were fighting, "I don't care who started it, you can both bloody stop it now, thank you.". Not exactly very eloquent, but it does get the point across.

A more appropriate analogy would be if your mother spent your entire life giving everything to your brother and him and your mother doing everything they can to keep you down, then when you're old enough to leave home with no money, education or support, saying "ok we'll stop making GBS threads on you now, no hard feelings". Would you not be justifiably resentful?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

Everything just goes downhill from here.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Implants posted:

I just. I can't even.

These are things I've seen people say ironically or to take the piss.

These guys are serious.

Get hosed Australia.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Swan Oat posted:

It's funny because learning about Australian culture to broaden your horizons is basically like adding a negative number

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Fruity Gordo posted:

I'm prejudiced against dumb people.

So prejudiced.

(I'm a self hating dumb person)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Implants posted:

I just. I can't even.

Someone on a UQ Facebook group is now trying to justify this by saying:

quote:

"We can celebrate the fact nobody is dying at sea anymore thanks to the new policies that we were all told was impossible to do. Cant we celebrate the fact lives are being saved?"

Instead they're dying in detention.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mithranderp posted:

Instead they're dying in detention.
To be fair, some are probably dying in refugee camps before they make it here too.

Swan Oat posted:

Hahahahahahaha

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I'm glad I went to bed when BB was planning to take down Harvey Norman by recruiting people to continue not buying things from them.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Swan Oat posted:

POTM

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Look at that step between 51-65 and 65+. Generational impact, anyone?

Are there any good contemporary books/blogs/ramblings about the liberal voting base, and why they get so much of the vote? I have genuine trouble understanding why and how, and I feel this is a critical thing to understand in our Lucky Country.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is that a landline only survey?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
A lot of people from around eighteen to mid twenties have memories of Howard as a child and since you're a dumb kid you think everything is right and good and if you stay dumb you think things like "the Liberals are a good party".

Old people are racist.

Sources: friends, family.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Sanguine posted:

Look at that step between 51-65 and 65+. Generational impact, anyone?

Are there any good contemporary books/blogs/ramblings about the liberal voting base, and why they get so much of the vote? I have genuine trouble understanding why and how, and I feel this is a critical thing to understand in our Lucky Country.

That's okay, with the doctors' strike coming, all those old right wing shits will be dropping like flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

It takes a special type of toxic ideology to go from having a parliamentary majority of ~9:1 to polling around even stevens 2 years and 2 weeks later.

• Locked thread