Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

triplexpac posted:

I think it's cause the roster is all in New Orleans doing promo stuff for Mania, so it wouldn't really be worth it to run another show in some other arena with all the top guys gone.

Yeah, Fan Axxess and other public appearances is going to happen all this weekend. It makes more sense business-wise to just run a recap (and promotional) SmackDown and spend all the money they would have spent on a SmackDown taping for WrestleMania-related stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
How is Jeff Jarrett so well connected? For a guy who was a glorified midcarder, he seems to be really good at finding rich people to finance his visions.

First he convinces Dixie Carter to help him start up TNA, and now it seems he's found another money mark.

I used to think Bischoff was the king of this activity but Jeff may have topped him if his new promotion happens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

How is Jeff Jarrett so well connected? For a guy who was a glorified midcarder, he seems to be really good at finding rich people to finance his visions.

First he convinces Dixie Carter to help him start up TNA, and now it seems he's found another money mark.

I used to think Bischoff was the king of this activity but Jeff may have topped him if his new promotion happens.

Dixie Carter was more of a coincidence, the company happened to hire her PR firm in the few weeks before they realized they were losing millions. I think he met Toby Keith in his WCW days, he's a well known guy in the same area so it isn't surprising they'd be friends.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Since I'm going to be watching Wrestlemania for the first time in the 13 years I've been interested in wrestling, I figured this would be a good thing to ask. What was the first PPV you saw? My first and only PPV was Invasion, which is also the first wrestling thing I saw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Funktastic posted:

Since I'm going to be watching Wrestlemania for the first time in the 13 years I've been interested in wrestling, I figured this would be a good thing to ask. What was the first PPV you saw? My first and only PPV was Invasion, which is also the first wrestling thing I saw.

Starrcade 97, the greatest PPV in the history of our sport.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Funktastic posted:

Wrestlemania III. Hogan and Andre is still the best match from that show.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Funktastic posted:

Survivor Series 91. Hulk Hogan lost the title and I cried.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Funktastic posted:

I could never convince my mom to order PPVs in the late 90s and just got back into wrestlemans so the first PPV I saw was this year's Royal Rumble. Batista won the Rumble and I cried. :geno:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Summerslam 1990. Pay per views weren't really something that happened when I was little unless it was through scramblevision, but I watched that one with some relatives who ordered it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Funktastic posted:

As it was actually happening? Survivor Series '91. I was a huge Taker mark already and was super hyped to see him beat Hogan. I was loving crushed when they announced they were doing another PPV only a few days later that I wouldn't be able to see.

That ended up being the only PPV I was able to see live in the 20th century :smith:.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Funktastic posted:

First PPV live was King of the Ring 1993. But my grandpa taped VHS copies of SummerSlam 89, 90, and 92 and Survivor Series 89 that he rented from Blockbuster, so I watched those when I went over to his house before that.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Funktastic posted:

Armageddon 2000, taped off of the tv when channel 4 started showing them at 1am in the UK. Rikishi off the cell blew my mind.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

budreck posted:

He's the son of Jerry Jarrett, who operated a whole slew of promotions during the territorial days.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish at some point somebody asked Hogan a leading question about UFC so he could put his foot in his mouth...I mean, I know he said the thing about being PRIDE champ before it existed, but that came off as more senility than anything.

I wish somebody would bring up his "I body slammed Andre and then the next night he died" comment from when he appeared on MTV cribs. Just to see if he would deny ever saying it or his reasoning behind it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

ColeM posted:

I wish somebody would bring up his "I body slammed Andre and then the next night he died" comment from when he appeared on MTV cribs. Just to see if he would deny ever saying it or his reasoning behind it.

I had to look it up, to see if that got blown out of proportion like his "I slammed Andre in front of 9 million Hulkamaniacs in the Superdome"

Nope. Verbatim: "These are the most famous wrestling boots in the world. I wrestled Andre the Giant in these boots, and then a few days later he passed on."

...wow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

First PPV that I (very vaguely) recall seeing was Wrestlemania III, and pretty much all I remember from it is Hogan bodyslamming Andre. Something like that sticks in a kid's head and keeps an orange goblin getting paid 27 years later.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Funktastic posted:

My first PPV was the 2000 Royal Rumble. Mae Young showed her boobs.

Also there was a pretty neat Street Fight.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Didn't get PPVs as a kid so Royal Rumble 2007. Hell of a show.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
No Mercy 1999 for me, kinda upset at the time about Rock's interference allowing Triple H to retain because drat did I hate Trips.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Funktastic posted:

My first pay per view was Wrestlemania 12. The next one after that was Starcade 96. I didn't get a lot of ppvs as a kid. My Aunt stole them from time to time though and taped them onto VHS tapes. I did watch scramblevision a lot as well. In fact, the first time I saw Wrestlemania 17. That's a real interesting ways to remember the Austin heel turn.

Shard fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 4, 2014

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
1st PPV (via Scramble-vision): Summerslam 90
1st PPV (via VHS): Royal Rumble 91
1st PPV (ordered "Live"): Summerslam 92

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Funktastic posted:

WCW Road wild 1998 was the first time I ever saw wrestling, Halloween Havoc 1998 was the first PPV I ever bought.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 4, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Survivor Series 2010.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Survivor Series 1987!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Wrestlemania X. I didn't know what a ladder match was going in, and holy poo poo.

I was also a Hitman stan so I was really happy when he beat Yokozuna.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Wrestlemania V. I was really excited about THE MEGA-POWERS EXPLODING, and I had been clipping pictures from WWF magazine and the TV Guide to tape on my bedroom door, so my dad got the PPV for my 10th birthday.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Funktastic posted:

The first PPV I ever watched was Wrestlemania X-7. I honestly thought that's what all PPVs would be like, for ever.

The second PPV I watched was King of the Ring from 2001, which was also cool as gently caress.

It was sort of all downhill from there.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I believe it was No Way Out 2000 which was great. Gramps had an interest in directv piracy so all PPVs that summer were available to me live. I remember his little hacked access card being rendered useless halfway through Summer Slam.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
1)Who was the most talented member of 3 count?

Tank Abbott doesn't count.

2)Who was the least talented member of 3 count?

3)How does Lillian Garcia still suck at her job so much after doing it for over a decade?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

3)How does Lillian Garcia still suck at her job so much after doing it for over a decade?

Uh...duhjhh...TAnk abbot??!

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Helms.

quote:

Karagias, he was pretty awful.

quote:

This one baffles me because you have Fink right there and yet you go with Lillian, who botches something on almost every show. gently caress Kevin Dunn.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Best: Shane Helms

Worst: Evan Karagias.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Funktastic posted:

What was the first PPV you saw?

My big brother is awesome and drove me with his friends an hour away to watch Wrestlemania III in an arena on closed circuit television.

I'd been to lots of house shows before, but my first live PPV was Judgment Day 1998. We had lousy nosebleed seats, but when Vince came out to fire Austin at the end, he was in a box right next to our seats! What a pleasant surprise, we were able to throw beer at Vince, and I got my "Legalize it, cause Stone Cold said so. Austin 4:20" sign on the TV. It was a poorly made sign with too many words, so it was unreadable to anyone watching, but it was there, by God!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I've never bought a PPV.

My first live view will be Wrestlemania XXX.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The first PPV I watched live was Great American Bash '98, and the first show I went to live was Spring Stampede '99.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

LividLiquid posted:

The first PPV I watched live was Great American Bash '98, and the first show I went to live was Spring Stampede '99.

The first PPV I saw in-person was Great American Bash 2004 :smithicide:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DeathChicken posted:

Summerslam 1990. Pay per views weren't really something that happened when I was little unless it was through scramblevision, but I watched that one with some relatives who ordered it.

I first got into wrestling through watching WWE in 1993 and renting old VHS tapes since I couldn't afford PPV. I must have rented Summerslam 1990 a dozen times - what a fun show.

First PPV I bought and watched live was Wrestlemania X.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Earliest PPV I saw on VHS or whatever was Survivor Seris 91, I think, but I rented that years later. First one I saw as it was happening was extreme Rules 2010. Had a good streak starting with that, went to most PPVs for the next year at a Buffalo Wild Wings. Fun, even if most of every card sucked.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

An Actual Bear posted:

This one baffles me because you have Fink right there and yet you go with Lillian, who botches something on almost every show. gently caress Kevin Dunn.

Seriously. "Toronto, Canada." For loving years.

Didn't expect Karagias to be the answer, when the other guy is Moore, but I remember nothing but the dude's name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Shannon Moore was a perfectly acceptable Cruiserweight during the WCW & Velocity days, he just had no personality so they justifiably never had him talk. It was actually kind of funny because he'd basically respond to people in shrugs and nods. Then he came up with that terrible/hilarious Prince of Punk gimmick and if anyone ever took him seriously before that, nobody ever did again. Especially after CM Punk bitch-slapped him and called him a poseur.