Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
TvTropes is like dissecting a frog, cutting out each individual organ, throwing away all the bones, and then trying to make a working frog by throwing random disconnected organs into a bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) › TvTropes random disconnected organs in a bucket

Just for fun I decided to see what the western animation conversation part of their forum is about. What animation is keeping them busy. In retrospect I should've saved myself the effort. :(

quote:

pinned Western Animation Recommendations 39 Fri, 28th Mar '14 12:53:30 PM
1: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic SPOILER TALK THREAD
2: My Little Pony, pre-FIM
3: Frozen (Disney film)
4: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Live Reactions & Discussion)
5: Uncle Grandpa
6: Series/ Ben 10 Omniverse
7: Equestria Girls: A MLP:FiM Spin Off
8: The Snow Queen (Not Disney)
9: Star Wars the Clone Wars, Star Wars: Rebels
10: Steven Universe

Why the hell are there 4 MLP topics including one dedicated to the old version. Why does this even need a live reaction thread? Is this really this exciting?

Red flags for Fan fiction reading

quote:

I am struggling to think of any respected literary work that is written in second person.

quote:

The best I can think of is Homestuck, and even that is fake second person. It's primarily written in third person, just using second person pronouns.
I want to point out what is wrong with the answer, but I can't decide where to start. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, if they can't be as encyclopediac as wikipedia, just make wikipedia into tvtropes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

karl fungus posted:

I haven't really bothered looking at TV Tropes much, but I'm curious as to where the creepy poo poo starts. The main pages seem to mostly just be boring lists of things. Where do these people congregate?

http://allthetropes.orain.org/wiki/Main_Page they moved to the offsite

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Popular Articles
*Main Page
*Breast Expansion
*Monster Girl Quest (aka Monmusu Quest: Lose and the Girls Rape You)
*Complete Monster
*Katekyo Hitman Reborn

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Oh, I see now. :stare:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

karl fungus posted:

Oh, I see now. :stare:

Don't look up the Fetish Fuel wiki.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Afraid of Audio posted:

Don't look up the Fetish Fuel wiki.

Always look up Fetish Fuel :getin: Just to give you an idea here's a (thankfully SFW) screencap from there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I knew they scattered like cockroaches when Google turned the light on, but the only thing I knew about was Fetish Fuel. The other site I had no idea about.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Tunicate posted:

Also things that become embedded in the fandom even though they have no canon support. Like Ginny being short for 'Virginia', in Harry Potter.

Wait, what? But it's short for Ginevra. This is actually stated in the books. I thought these people pored over every inch of these books, how did that happen? :psyduck:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

My best guess is that it wasn't stated until after "Virginia" had already taken a firm root in the mindset of the most vocal members of the fandom. By sheer coincidence, the most vocal members also happened to be the ones least likely to ever admit that they were objectively wrong on something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That was revealed really late in the series, so by that time everyone had decided her name was Virginia and it was in all the fanfiction so it was basically canon or at least fanon which is basically canon right, so when Rowling revealed it was Ginevra it was a major upset.

Gonna go wash my hands now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dabir posted:

That was revealed really late in the series, so by that time everyone had decided her name was Virginia and it was in all the fanfiction so it was basically canon or at least fanon which is basically canon right, so when Rowling revealed it was Ginevra it was a major upset.

Yeah it was this, the "Ginevra" name isn't revealed until the near the ending of the last book (it might even have been in the epilogue?). Also Virginia, while being an old fashioned and fairly weird name these days, is at least a lot more common than "Ginevra".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
But half the Weasley family is named after Arthurian characters, so Ginny should have been obvious!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DoctorWhat posted:

But half the Weasley family is named after Arthurian characters, so Ginny should have been obvious!

That character's name is spelled as Guinevere wayyyy more often then as Ginevra. Especially in the modern day.

And Ginny isn't a normal nickname for Guinevere - more typically that would be "Gwen".

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

DoctorWhat posted:

You are expecting tropers to be knowledgeable of anything that isn't anime, children's cartoons, or young adult fiction.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

You are expecting tropers to be knowledgeable of anything that isn't anime, children's cartoons, or young adult fiction.

We're talking Harry potter fans in general dude. You know, mostly people who were like between 8 and 18 while the series was coming out, and who would pretty much never have seen the spelling/name "Ginevra" ever. It's not even like it was ever the common spelling for the arthurian legends.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dabir posted:

Gonna go wash my hands now.

Still not as funny as the freakout about "oh my god, this cameo character who has never been anything more than a name in a crowd scene is black?! But we all roleplayed him as a delicate alabaster-skinned princeling! JKR has ruined my life because I'm a racist because she's a racist somehow!!"

:goonsay::respek::goonsay:, fellow stupid-Harry-Potter-drama-remembering goon.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Antivehicular posted:

Still not as funny as the freakout about "oh my god, this cameo character who has never been anything more than a name in a crowd scene is black?! But we all roleplayed him as a delicate alabaster-skinned princeling! JKR has ruined my life because I'm a racist because she's a racist somehow!!"

Even worse was the whole Hunger Games debacle where a character was literally stated to be black in the book, and people still got mad when she was black in the movie.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Even worse was the whole Hunger Games debacle where a character was literally stated to be black in the book, and people still got mad when she was black in the movie.

I'M NOT RACIST I JUST DON'T GET WHY BLACK PEOPLE SUDDENLY HAVE TO BE IN EVERYTHING

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Not just lily white, but there was a whole contigent of fans super loving pissed Blaise turned out to be a boy. Because they pretty much just assumed Blaise was a feminine name.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Not just lily white, but there was a whole contigent of fans super loving pissed Blaise turned out to be a boy. Because they pretty much just assumed Blaise was a feminine name.

But that's a dude's name. :psyduck:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Blaze Zamboni the white girl

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

neongrey posted:

But that's a dude's name. :psyduck:

It basically wasn't anyone's name in the US before the Harry Potter books came out, and most of the fanbase was in the US. I know when I first saw it as like a 9 year old kid, I just assumed it was some sort of name made up for wizards.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
That's so weird, I went to elementary school with a kid named Blaise, and this was like when HP only existed as notes on napkins.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

My Granny mentioned to me that most of the Weasleys were meant to be named after Arthurian characters so I assumed Ginny's full name was Guinevere or some variation of it, but that also meant in my head I pronounced her name as Ginny like guinea pig :downs: I was passionately enraged by the pronunciation of her name in the films because my headcanon! :argh:

e: Re second person works, I can't think of many but a classmate recently recommended "Sorry" by Zoran Drvenkar, which apparently uses it significantly. It's about hired assassins or something and large stretches of it are written to "you", the people who hire their services. I've not read it but this one classmate says it's quite good! The whole idea of it (and use of second person in general) is to implicate you in the events of the narrative, etc, draws you in personally. It's something you definitely see more frequently in short fiction, though, rather than full length novels, as it's hard to sustain over the long term.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 4, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

neongrey posted:

That's so weird, I went to elementary school with a kid named Blaise, and this was like when HP only existed as notes on napkins.

It's kind of an old-ish name, I'm pretty sure it derives from names meaning "fair-haired."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sweeperbravo posted:

It's kind of an old-ish name, I'm pretty sure it derives from names meaning "fair-haired."
Yeah, although for some bizarre reason a lot of people started naming their kids Blaise again starting in the late 90s. But that didn't hit its peak until the same time as Blaise in HP was revealed to be both definitely a boy and also not white. (I'm not saying these were connected mind you, just pointing out why American kids wouldn't know what Blaise referred to, other then "foreign").

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My Granny mentioned to me that most of the Weasleys were meant to be named after Arthurian characters
Molly, Fred, George, Ron, Charlie? OK, Percy, but his seems to be the only other Arthurian name bar his dad. Unless Bill's name's short for Balin or something....

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Runcible Cat posted:

Molly, Fred, George, Ron, Charlie? OK, Percy, but his seems to be the only other Arthurian name bar his dad. Unless Bill's name's short for Balin or something....

I also didn't read past the fourth book so I was just going by what was said to me :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Runcible Cat posted:

There's a detailed explanation on the Harry Potter wiki, but while some of the links may seem a bit tenuous, it wouldn't surprise me if they're all spot on. I know I've put equally esoteric references into my own work, just for laughs.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

e: Re second person works, I can't think of many but a classmate recently recommended "Sorry" by Zoran Drvenkar, which apparently uses it significantly. It's about hired assassins or something and large stretches of it are written to "you", the people who hire their services. I've not read it but this one classmate says it's quite good! The whole idea of it (and use of second person in general) is to implicate you in the events of the narrative, etc, draws you in personally. It's something you definitely see more frequently in short fiction, though, rather than full length novels, as it's hard to sustain over the long term.
Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler and Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City are probably the two most famous literary works that use second-person. I shudder to think what tropers would make of them.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

If on a winter's night a traveller, by Italo Calvino, is the only novel-length second-person narrative I can think of. In its case, the "you" is you, the reader, trying to read Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveller. It's a very well respected book, and one that probably no troper has ever read.

e:f;b

The Sin of Onan fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 4, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ukonvasara posted:

Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler and Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City are probably the two most famous literary works that use second-person. I shudder to think what tropers would make of them.

Very little, actually. They both have short articles, and the page for the latter only really covers the film.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Darth Walrus posted:

Very little, actually. They both have short articles, and the page for the latter only really covers the film.

Looking at the second one of those, they seem to now be using an interrobang to indicate "TRIVIA entries", which "should be moved to the TRIVIA tab". How do they define trivia entries as distinct from, say, everything else?

Also I hope this doesn't go against their No Such Thing As Notability policy! :ohdear:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

The Sin of Onan posted:

If on a winter's night a traveller, by Italo Calvino, is the only novel-length second-person narrative I can think of. In its case, the "you" is you, the reader, trying to read Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveller. It's a very well respected book, and one that probably no troper has ever read.

e:f;b

A Prayer For The Dying by Stewart O'Nan is another second-person novel. Of course it has a lot of similarities to The Plague, so we can just assume that tropers will dismiss it as True Art Is Incomprehensible anyhow.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I really don't want to believe that people freaked out when Ginny's real name was revealed, but it sounds too realistic to not be true.

How come I never notice TvTropes being so horrible? I go there, I check my favorite works and say "Yeah, that is a thing that happens in that book/cartoon/whatever! Apparently it happens in other books/catoons/whatever! That's cool!". Or maybe I hit the random button a couple of times and see where it takes me.

Am I just that blind?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

paradoxGentleman posted:

I really don't want to believe that people freaked out when Ginny's real name was revealed, but it sounds too realistic to not be true.

How come I never notice TvTropes being so horrible? I go there, I check my favorite works and say "Yeah, that is a thing that happens in that book/cartoon/whatever! Apparently it happens in other books/catoons/whatever! That's cool!". Or maybe I hit the random button a couple of times and see where it takes me.

Am I just that blind?

Well, what are your favourite works?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I exaggerated a little.Sorry about that. I didn't check out literally every single thing I find interesting. No one has that much free time. But I do have a recent example.

A couple of days ago I've finished American Gods and decidet to check out its article at TvTropes. I tried to see if there was anything particularly disgusting like you guys say.

The worst I found was Wednesday being called a Casanova (which I guess is a slightly scummy trope in and by itself, but at least that article does explain that those characters aren't necessarily good) and the use of two tropes called I Have Boobs, You Must Obey and Deus Sex Machina when there really was no need to.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

paradoxGentleman posted:

I exaggerated a little.Sorry about that. I didn't check out literally every single thing I find interesting. No one has that much free time. But I do have a recent example.

A couple of days ago I've finished American Gods and decidet to check out its article at TvTropes. I tried to see if there was anything particularly disgusting like you guys say.

The worst I found was Wednesday being called a Casanova (which I guess is a slightly scummy trope in and by itself, but at least that article does explain that those characters aren't necessarily good) and the use of two tropes called I Have Boobs, You Must Obey and Deus Sex Machina when there really was no need to.

Honestly, they don't seem to be as bad with Neil Gaiman works outside of obviously wanting to gently caress Death.

• Locked thread