Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bendis is really good at stomach punch moments in USM. Doesn't quite top "Were you Spider-Man's mommy?" but pretty drat close.

I've said it before, that funeral page actually made me say "gently caress you, Brian Bendis and Mark Bagley" out loud. With some, like, dust or grit in my eye. And throat.

And heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

I've said it before, that funeral page actually made me say "gently caress you, Brian Bendis and Mark Bagley" out loud. With some, like, dust or grit in my eye. And throat.

And heart.

Another page that got me was Aunt May in Peter's bed with the Spider-man outfit crying. That mini was crual.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Fair warning to everyone, the following pages are very touching, but they're not inspiring at all.

I liked this a lot, but I feel it works just as good, if not better and easier to read, as a short story.

I also think that USM 200 page is ridiculously great. Like the funeral stuff with Aunt May, Bendis is great at making comic book deaths more personal and less soap opera. Though it is maybe a little soap opera.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

I liked this a lot, but I feel it works just as good, if not better and easier to read, as a short story.

I also think that USM 200 page is ridiculously great. Like the funeral stuff with Aunt May, Bendis is great at making comic book deaths more personal and less soap opera. Though it is maybe a little soap opera.

It's a little soap opera, but in an appropriate way that seems honest and realistic. It's not melodrama.

If USM was a country, I'd be nominating Bendis for Dictator for Life.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man #200 is about all of Peter's friends (as well as Miles and Ganke, who never met him) getting together to celebrate his life, two years after his death. At one point, to break the silence, Mary Jane asks if anyone ever thinks about what Peter would have been like had he grown up. They all go over their own ideas, accompanied by two-page spreads.

Mary Jane thinks that he would have led the Ultimates and would have been a better leader and superhero than Captain America. Aunt May thinks he would have merged his love for science and heroics by leading a team of science-based superheroes. Gwen thinks he would have become a Daily Bugle reporter so he could expose corruption and bring guys like the Kingpin to justice. Miles likes to believe that he could have been partners, granted that Peter didn't hate him. Then it's Kitty's turn.

:smith:

I feel like a terrible person but I can only focus on Peter's face in the lower right and not on the things other people are talking about.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

It's a little soap opera, but in an appropriate way that seems honest and realistic. It's not melodrama.

I'm torn about Bendis.

When he works (USM) he's fantastic, nothing can stop him and he's completely untouchable amazing.
But, inversely, when he doesn't work (Avengers, maybe GotG, I haven't really read his run yet) he just...isn't very good in those cases.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah, Bendis is so schizophrenic with his talent. When he's on, he's REALLY on, top quality emoting and characterizing, but when he's off he's Jeph Loeb levels of saccharine.

I assume he's just like us, has bad and good days.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good/bad Bendis tends to break down along the solo/team axis -

Bendis writing solo characters: often excellent (USM)
Bendis writing team book: ugh look out (Avengers)

Although I've seen some kind things written about his recent X-Men work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FMguru posted:

Good/bad Bendis tends to break down along the solo/team axis -

Bendis writing solo characters: often excellent (USM)
Bendis writing team book: ugh look out (Avengers)

Although I've seen some kind things written about his recent X-Men work.

His avengers was not that bad when he had a story to tell. It was obvious that after Siege he did not give a gently caress anymore and we got that stupid stupid Dark Avnegers 2.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm pretty sure he will be writing USM until they completely cancel it, or he dies. I'm not sure which is going to happen first.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This isn't a comic page, so I hope this is okay! it's definitely a little touching and inspiring.
It's a short news item on Jeff Lemire touring the province that's inspiring his upcoming Canada based Justice League book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiqc7qBmNJs

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure he will be writing USM until they completely cancel it, or he dies. I'm not sure which is going to happen first.

I'm betting he won't, actually; I get the impression that his Giant Epic Run (tm) on Avengers basically took the blush off the rose for long-term engagements in a shared universe. He can have USM because it's his, that's become an intensely personal book... but Avengers was never really 'his,' he had to share those characters and that setting and that world. And the X-books have the same issue.

It is possible that I am a hopeless optimist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Deadpool's wedding in Deadpool #27.

Frank's happy :unsmith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Garth Ennis just flipped a table somewhere and he doesn't know why.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Garth Ennis just flipped a table somewhere and he doesn't know why.

Yes, I'm sure the guy who wrote the comic where Frank asks Elektra out to dinner is downright furious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Yes, I'm sure the guy who wrote the comic where Frank asks Elektra out to dinner is downright furious.

I'm not saying he's actually mad, but he did seem determined to write Frank as addicted to misery, especially during the MAX years. It's just a funny contrast.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gavok posted:

Are we sure that's Frank? I mean... a tie? I thought it looked more Hammerhead, personally.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Are we sure that's Frank? I mean... a tie? I thought it looked more Hammerhead, personally.

Pretty certain that's Frank and Elektra, especially since they're Wade's coworkers. Frank's probably glad to know that Deadpool won't be creeping on his girl anymore.

Besides, even Hulk was wearing a suit and tie.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, Hulk's probably spent more panels in a suit than Frank Castle has. Dude was a well dressed Made Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I really love this. It's about time Frank got to smile about something.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I really love this. It's about time Frank got to smile about something.

He also has a pet coyote now!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr. Maltose posted:

To be fair, Hulk's probably spent more panels in a suit than Frank Castle has. Dude was a well dressed Made Man.

Grey Hulk came correct.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

He also has a pet coyote now!

That coyote is going to die so hard.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ImpAtom posted:

Last time someone had a coyote it turned out to be a skrull.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ImpAtom posted:

Shut up shut up shut up. Amadeus Cho is going to swoop in and save it, and they're going to fly off to have magical science-adventures in the ruins of Asgard.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gavok posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man #200 is about all of Peter's friends (as well as Miles and Ganke, who never met him) getting together to celebrate his life, two years after his death. At one point, to break the silence, Mary Jane asks if anyone ever thinks about what Peter would have been like had he grown up. They all go over their own ideas, accompanied by two-page spreads.

Mary Jane thinks that he would have led the Ultimates and would have been a better leader and superhero than Captain America. Aunt May thinks he would have merged his love for science and heroics by leading a team of science-based superheroes. Gwen thinks he would have become a Daily Bugle reporter so he could expose corruption and bring guys like the Kingpin to justice. Miles likes to believe that he could have been partners, granted that Peter didn't hate him. Then it's Kitty's turn.

:smith:

Huh, I guess Peter is this universe's Gwen Stacy. The true love that died and keeps being brought up in conversation.

Wonder if that's ever going to turn up in the TV series or if that's going to continue being boring "whacky" one-parters with very few lasting bits of plot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

evilmiera posted:

Huh, I guess Peter is this universe's Gwen Stacy. The true love that died and keeps being brought up in conversation.

Wonder if that's ever going to turn up in the TV series or if that's going to continue being boring "whacky" one-parters with very few lasting bits of plot.

Ultimate Spider-Man the cartoon has nothing to do with Ultimate Spider-Man the comic book apart from the name and the fact it's about Spider-Man. The plotlines are completely divergent from go.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Here's all of Deadpool's wedding. It's nice to see the guy win one.

The "... and it did" actually gave me the warm 'n fuzzies

Deadpool #27

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
10 years ago, if you told me that Deadpool was going to be married, by Nightcrawler, and surrounded by friends and loved ones, I wouldn't have believed any of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wade being liked and respected by Steve Rogers is such an awesome bit of character development and I never expected anything like it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Logan's there too, and that's REALLY surprising, given their history. Fuckin' A, Wade.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just noticed Uatu in the first panel. One last wedding before his funeral.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Wade being liked and respected by Steve Rogers is such an awesome bit of character development and I never expected anything like it.

Does Captain America remember the time that Wade saved the earth (by kicking Captain America in the balls?)

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
I wasn't a big fan of the title initially and dropped out for most of the Dead Presidents thing but I'm so glad I picked Deadpool back up. It's really been one of my favorites as of late and I like where they're taking the character a lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Logan's there too, and that's REALLY surprising, given their history. Fuckin' A, Wade.

It all changed when wolverine discovered that wade was refusing Warren's checks and his relationship with Evan

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Not to mention North Korea happening.

I do dig Wade being maskless the whole time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is that a ghost Ben Franklin?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking as someone who stopped reading Deadpool when he was still a super-whacky fourth wall-breaking comedy jackass (I think the last thing I read even involving him was Agent X) where do I start this whole "Deadpool becomes a cool guy and cool things happen to him" storyline? Because it sounds kickin' rad.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Deadpool's wedding was great. I really hope his wife sticks around as a character, she helps fill a similar role to his pining for death, but is alot more "grounded" so to speak, someone he can actually interact and communicate with. And with Marvel ramping up Thanos for the movies, it's probably best to move DP on.

All in all Deadpool's been a pleasant surprise and this issue was a very warm and fuzzy read :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pierson posted:

Speaking as someone who stopped reading Deadpool when he was still a super-whacky fourth wall-breaking comedy jackass (I think the last thing I read even involving him was Agent X) where do I start this whole "Deadpool becomes a cool guy and cool things happen to him" storyline? Because it sounds kickin' rad.

If you like the look of this, try the current series from #1.
He was also a member in Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force which was amazing.