Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

I never did believe Belgium would amount to much this world cup.
I think that once we get out of our group, we're supposed to go up against either Portugal or Germany so welp

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

R. Mute posted:

I think that once we get out of our group, we're supposed to go up against either Portugal or Germany so welp

Belgium will never reach their full potential now! dang it! *kicks dirt and looks at ground*

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Our public broadcast literally has a show that follows the national team around - we're really excited at having a decent team for once.

Best clip so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VLVPtsCfcY

Lukaku really getting into his shows.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
From a professionals pov Van Persie has the right idea by calling a sickie in the months leading up to any big internationals

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Really hoping for a Belgium v Netherlands quarterfinal or whatever.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I can see the Dutch failing to even get out of their group.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013

R. Mute posted:

We will fail to get out of our group, our defence is terrible and with Strootman dead our midfield isn't that great either. I can't see us winning against either Spain or Chile.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

C'mon now.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

R. Mute posted:

Chile will give even Spain problems, so yeah, one of those three is going to be bitterly disappointed. Poor, poor Australia though lol.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

C'mon now.

Probably a sign that I should get something to eat.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tuiri posted:

We will fail to get out of our group, our defence is terrible and with Strootman dead our midfield isn't that great either. I can't see us winning against either Spain or Chile.
How's the infighting been? Last I heard, there was a tiff about who got to be the big man in the team.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013

R. Mute posted:

How's the infighting been? Last I heard, there was a tiff about who got to be the big man in the team.

Pretty good actually. Van Gaal has them all looking the same way and Van Persie has really stepped up as captain. Van Persie, Robben and Strootman are the only ones certain of their place, so the rest doesn't really complain in fear of losing their spot. It probably helps that Huntelaar had injury problems all year and Sneijder has lost favor by playing in Turkey.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tuiri posted:

Pretty good actually. Van Gaal has them all looking the same way and Van Persie has really stepped up as captain. Van Persie, Robben and Strootman are the only ones certain of their place, so the rest doesn't really complain in fear of losing their spot. It probably helps that Huntelaar had injury problems all year and Sneijder has lost favor by playing in Turkey.

Strootman wont make it to the WC I think, so Sneijder could get right in there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That really sucks for Benteke, did he injure himself in training?

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Strootman wont make it to the WC I think, so Sneijder could get right in there.

Maybe, the most likely midfield in my opinion is De Jong, Guzman and either Fer, van der Vaart or Sneijder. But with van Gaal you never know, so he could just play three talents from the Eredivisie as his midfield.

Tuiri fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 3, 2014

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Benteke has torn his achilles tendon and will miss the rest of the season and the world cup :(

Good thing we've got Magic Michy Batshuayi ready to rumble

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Chile will give even Spain problems, so yeah, one of those three is going to be bitterly disappointed. Poor, poor Australia though lol.

As soon as I saw the draw I did a lol and then killed myself.

Brighterday
Jun 25, 2005

Ravel posted:

And now that Fellainis been exposed as dross, their team isn't looking nearly the dark horse people bleated on about eight months ago

Fellaini's a great player he just can't run. Choke the space on the outside and let the opposition attack through a narrow gap in the middle and the ball won't pass him. Also Belgium still have Courtois, Kompany, Vertonghen, Hazard, Mirallas, Dembele, Lukaku and many more solid players.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brighterday posted:

Fellaini's a great player he just can't run. Choke the space on the outside and let the opposition attack through a narrow gap in the middle and the ball won't pass him. Also Belgium still have Courtois, Kompany, Vertonghen, Hazard, Mirallas, Dembele, Lukaku and many more solid players.

Mertens is great too.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'd honestly prefer it if Wilmots didn't play Fellaini.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

R. Mute posted:

I think you mean Germany or the United States.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Concerned Citizen posted:

I think you mean Germany or the United States.

Two teams that would destroy Belgium imo

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Jozy could definitely destroy the belgian waffle industry.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Gigi Galli posted:

Mertens is great too.

I'll take this to the Serie A thread if this goes too much off topic, but how's Nainggolan doing in Rome?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Good news for Man Utd supporters, Tom Cleverly is going to be offered a new contract

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I hope Moyes stays manager of Manchester United forever.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Well hang on now, he didn't say what kind of contract it was. Maybe their actual garbageman quit/retired/died.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

Good news for Man Utd supporters, Tom Cleverly is going to be offered a new contract

They'll have to find him first

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Mourinho plans to sell Torres, Ba, Lukaku and Eto'o in the summer and hopes to reduce their massive wage list and replace them with Costa, Mandzukic and one more. Apparently FFP is a real thing after all?

quote:

Owner Roman Abramovich will not to stand in the way of Mourinho trying to sell or loan out £50 million record purchase Fernando Torres. Romelu Lukaku is already seeking a new club, Demba Ba will be sold and Samuel Eto’o is expected to leave.

Mourinho can bank around £32 million, the size of Costa’s buy-out clause at Atlético Madrid, by selling Lukaku and Ba. Eto’o’s departure would save £7  million in wages and Chelsea want the £9 million annual salary of Torres off the wage bill.

Chelsea are already making strides towards addressing their huge wages outlay. It emerged on Thursday night that the club’s wage bill has been overtaken by Manchester United’s for the first time in more than a decade and they are also below Manchester City’s.

Chelsea’s wage bill in 2012-13 was £176 million compared to £182 million for Manchester United in the same season, while Manchester City’s was £233 million. Wages at Stamford Bridge club actually fell overall in 2011-12, and the rise last season was around three per cent compared to an 11.6 per cent increase at United.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...the-season.html

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
They can't sell Eto'o he's on a one year and there's no £7m saved on wages since they don't seem to intend giving him a new one. lol at paying Torres 9m a year. Theyll have spent £80m on him in total then if they can find someone stupid enough to take him.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Jonny Howson is the fastest player in the premier league (and probably globally as well)

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/spor...games_1_1492943

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ravel posted:

They can't sell Eto'o he's on a one year and there's no £7m saved on wages since they don't seem to intend giving him a new one. lol at paying Torres 9m a year. Theyll have spent £80m on him in total then if they can find someone stupid enough to take him.

They're going to subsidize his wages wherever he goes because he's refusing to leave unless he keeps his £175k a week wages.

In other Premier League news Sunderland have been fined for playing Ji Dong-Won in 5 matches he wasn't eligible for

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jose posted:

They're going to subsidize his wages wherever he goes because he's refusing to leave unless he keeps his £175k a week wages.

In other Premier League news Sunderland have been fined for playing Ji Dong-Won in 5 matches he wasn't eligible for

He helped them earn 1 point in 5 matches and then a fascist called him a coward RIP the donger

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

They should get a points deduction for this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

It would be better if West Ham got relegated due to them not getting a points deduction.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Like I said above, the maximum point deduction they could get is 1, seeing as how that was the total number of points they gained in the matches he played.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nah, they should lose like ten on principle. What kind of standard are we setting for other teams if we don't properly punish a team for this just because they're poo poo and getting relegated anyway?

Also, gently caress Sunderland.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

euroboy posted:

Mourinho plans to sell Torres, Ba, Lukaku and Eto'o in the summer and hopes to reduce their massive wage list and replace them with Costa, Mandzukic and one more. Apparently FFP is a real thing after all?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...the-season.html

This just sounds like they're replacing their strikers. Paying Mandzukic, Costs, a third striker, and Torres isnt really going to lower the wage bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

This just sounds like they're replacing their strikers. Paying Mandzukic, Costs, a third striker, and Torres isnt really going to lower the wage bill.

They'll only be paying a portion of Torres's wages since the other club will presumably still have him on a contract, and Eto'o is apparently being paid a lot because he was free. Plus Torres's contract will expire after two years and their wage bill will actually substantially decrease, but during that time they'll have a competent striker playing for them instead.

It's true, it probably won't reduce their wage bill much in the short term, but in the long run it might. Although I imagine Costa and Mandzukic will command large wages. Then again, FFP is pretty useless anyway and Chelsea will have increased clean revenue coming in next season from the new TV deal.

• Locked thread