Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is there anyway to see what weapon abilities do in FFX? I mean, I'm a smart guy, I can take a stab at what Strength +5% means, but if something more esoteric comes up is there anyway to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Is there anyway to see what weapon abilities do in FFX? I mean, I'm a smart guy, I can take a stab at what Strength +5% means, but if something more esoteric comes up is there anyway to see?

The Final Fantasy Wikia has a pretty good list of them. I don't know of any way to check in-game though.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Cake Attack posted:

Try the help option from the menu. I think they might be listed there.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's in the Help menu under References->Auto-Abilities.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think once Customization opens up you can get a description of them in its menu, assuming you have at least one of the item that customization needs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cool, thanks. A little awkward, but I guess it was 2003.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Another question. Is there a recommended route for Kihmari to go down, or is the recommended route "gently caress you Kihmari, no one likes you anyway, benched"? Because that seems much easier :effort:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Another question. Is there a recommended route for Kihmari to go down, or is the recommended route "gently caress you Kihmari, no one likes you anyway, benched"? Because that seems much easier :effort:

Send him down Rikku or Lulu's path.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
He wants steal no matter what (since you can steal a buttload of level 3 key spheres in his solo fight) but Rikku's is probably the most common, at least in the original sphere grid.

I sent him down Auron's on expert, branching him into Tidus' where the paths split and merged (and keeping Auron to his own). No regrets. Fucker hits like a truck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Syrant posted:

Jecht is great. You don't really get to hear Gregg Berger much in a major vocal role, although he does apparently voice Odie in all the Garfield shows. Jecht is my favorite character in the game, honestly. Especially once you understand he wasn't entirely to blame for Tidus' feelings about him. I mean, he was clearly an rear end in a top hat to Tidus in flashbacks but he did give a poo poo, clearly. A bit late in showing it, however.

Yeah, when you finally meet him it's one of the few times the series has done a normal old emotional moment without too much weirdness. He was kind of a crappy dad, but not a terrible person, and I think you'd have to hate Tidus a lot to not get a little mileage out of "You are my son, after all..." and "I hate you, dad" being more "I hate that you're going away". It's a great scene.

It kind of sucks that most people won't bother looking for the Jecht Spheres and therefore miss out on a lot of his characterization as far as his relationship with Brasca/Auron and how Spira changed him.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

He was kind of a crappy dad, but not a terrible person, and I think you'd have to hate Tidus a lot to not get a little mileage out of "You are my son, after all..." and "I hate you, dad" being more "I hate that you're going away". It's a great scene.
Well, the delivery contributed to that a lot, and the early PS2 models with their unrefined facial mo-cap tech didn't help it at all.

"I HATE YOU DAD :mad:"
"Yeah, I know :smug:"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

Well, the delivery contributed to that a lot, and the early PS2 models with their unrefined facial mo-cap tech didn't help it at all.

"I HATE YOU DAD :mad:"
"Yeah, I know :smug:"

Seems a shame not to use the :human being: emoticon when the chance comes up.

So Persona 4 is coming to PS3 on April 10. I haven't really paid any attention to the Persona series before. I take it this is a game I should play?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Seems a shame not to use the :human being: emoticon when the chance comes up.

So Persona 4 is coming to PS3 on April 10. I haven't really paid any attention to the Persona series before. I take it this is a game I should play?

It's a really good game but it's pretty heavy on the social/time elements.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Apparently the PS4 version of FFXIV is coming out in a couple of weeks (the fourteenth, to be precise, ha ha ha ha haaaa). Any ideas on how that's going to turn out? I can't imagine the netcode would be quite as solid, if nothing else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schwartzcough posted:

It depends on what you like in your JRPGs. It's super story heavy and there's high school dating and it takes 80 hours BARE MINIMUM to beat the game because it's so verbose and so much poo poo happens. The actual RPG systems are serviceable but absolutely nothing special. It's kind of like Pokemon with a vastly bigger focus on "breeding" to get new Pokemon, also the Pokemon are usually gods or demons from real world mythology and stories.

I dunno, it's really good, but a lot of people don't like it for reasons I can't argue against, so... :shrug:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Syrant posted:

You don't really get to hear Gregg Berger much in a major vocal role, although he does apparently voice Odie in all the Garfield shows.

A lot of people don't like Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble but I will forever like it because Captain Blue's voice is 110% Jecht in that game and it's absolutely wonderful to hear him maniacally laugh every time he wins a round.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

precision posted:

It depends on what you like in your JRPGs. It's super story heavy and there's high school dating and it takes 80 hours BARE MINIMUM to beat the game because it's so verbose and so much poo poo happens. The actual RPG systems are serviceable but absolutely nothing special. It's kind of like Pokemon with a vastly bigger focus on "breeding" to get new Pokemon, also the Pokemon are usually gods or demons from real world mythology and stories.

I dunno, it's really good, but a lot of people don't like it for reasons I can't argue against, so... :shrug:

Hmm, that actually sounds kinda dreadful. Hours and hours of high school dating and drama, with some light gameplay thrown in? I don't think I have the time or mindset for that.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Light gameplay is a vast understatement, especially in the FF thread of all places. It's mechanics are better than literally every Final Fantasy game, barring job systems which are also pretty cool. The writing is really good, too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Hmm, that actually sounds kinda dreadful. Hours and hours of high school dating and drama, with some light gameplay thrown in? I don't think I have the time or mindset for that.

If it makes you feel better, the dating is distinctly optional! The drama also technically is optional too, but you're gimping yourself stat-wise if you do so. And the opening is a bit slow, but I found the rest of the game were pretty decent about words, if very traditional RPGish (do a dungeon, get some plot, repeat).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The gameplay is interesting and challenging, and the writing does an admirable job of making you give a gently caress, though the intro is slooooooowwwwwww.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The Vita remake is better in literally every respect, mind.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
With all these Atlus rereleases I hope they put Digital Devil Saga out too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Squallege posted:

With all these Atlus rereleases I hope they put Digital Devil Saga out too.

I'd like that but I'd like the party tweaks from 2 to apply to one because Cielo(?) or whoever it was that was weak to status effects in DDS1 is basically just a liability for no good reason. That and make it easier to get the alternate final dungeon party member.

Its that and Zodiac Spear that I think are hot bullshit moments in terms of needing a guide to get something cool.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

precision posted:

Yeah, when you finally meet him it's one of the few times the series has done a normal old emotional moment without too much weirdness. He was kind of a crappy dad, but not a terrible person, and I think you'd have to hate Tidus a lot to not get a little mileage out of "You are my son, after all..." and "I hate you, dad" being more "I hate that you're going away". It's a great scene.

It kind of sucks that most people won't bother looking for the Jecht Spheres and therefore miss out on a lot of his characterization as far as his relationship with Brasca/Auron and how Spira changed him.

Well, I think Auron's limit breaks are worth hunting for just on their own. Banishing Blade is very useful and it's pretty much always ready to go with him on Slayer or Warrior. I really would have loved a prequel to FFX, Jecht and Auron and Braska but I suppose things would be mostly the same in terms of the path of the pilgrimage and everything. It would be really cool to see how Jecht reacted when he saw they had blitzball. In fact, I wonder how many times he asked 'Do you know who I am?' to people who locked him up.

Jecht is also pretty much the only reason I would buy a PSP, honestly. At least I can watch the Dissidia stuff on youtube.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
This is coming from someone with a Persona 4 avatar, skip it. P3 is the better of the two games as far as theme and setting is concerned. Gameplay is about the same in both though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ShadeofDante posted:

This is coming from someone with a Persona 4 avatar, skip it. P3 is the better of the two games as far as theme and setting is concerned. Gameplay is about the same in both though.

This guy is wrong in both accounts. Being able to control all the non-MC Party members makes 4 blow 3 out of the water in terms of gameplay and the side story/character plots are generally much better in 4 than 3.

There is no Bebe or Gourmet King or Fuuka in P4 :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Theme and setting are subjective (and the two games shoot for very different things anyways), but yeah you can not in any way argue that P3 plays better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Alternatively, I never cared much for the writing in the SMT series and I found the gameplay to be kind of bland. Everyone always goes on and on about how it's SMART and TACTICAL but honestly it's straight-up Final Fantasy except it punishes you for using the wrong element and not knowing ahead of time what kinds of elements the enemies use. Exciting and innovative :geno:!

I mean the first one is straight-up subjective so don't let me dissuade you saying that and you should probably try at least one game in the series to see if you like that part. The battle system, though? Don't be fooled by the hype, the only exceptional thing about it is how mundane it is.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 4, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There is no Bebe or Gourmet King or Fuuka in P4 :colbert:
Don't forget helping/enabling Kenji aka Hot for Teacher.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Alternatively, I never cared much for the writing in the SMT series and I found the gameplay to be kind of bland. Everyone always goes on and on about how it's SMART and TACTICAL but honestly it's straight-up Final Fantasy except it punishes you for using the wrong element and not knowing ahead of time what kinds of elements the enemies use. Exciting and innovative :geno:!

Don't forget that enemy elemental weaknesses change between games so while someone might be weak to wind in one that exact literal same sprite might suffer no ill effects or be outright immune in another. Don't even get me started on monster recruiting which is hot-pressed garbage which somehow still made it into a game released in the year 2013.

Plus the franchise lacks blue magic which is the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

There are a lot of SMT games with a lot of combat systems and in most cases they're a lot more flexible than that. They have a heavy emphasis on exploiting weaknesses and creating strengths but that is basically RPGs of all shapes and sizes in a nutshell.

Basically the SMT games, almost entirely, share more in common with something like Pokemon than they do Final Fantasy, admittedly without the competitive aspect. It's all about creating and crafting a proper monster/persona/party member to deal with the problem at hand. As a result it tends to trend towards everything having a use and a large variety of viable character builds. The Persona games do so less because your party members have more tightly-defined builds but generally allow flexibility in character selection to make up for that.

Beyond that each one has their own selection of gimmicks and ideas which define how they play. Persona 3/Persona 4 are defined by having static party members and a dungeon-crawler inspired system where you have to balance SP/HP consumption with the fact that leaving the dungeon costs you a day of time. Each successive revision of the P3/P4 games have neutered the latter aspect more and more though and put an increased emphasis on allowing for flexibility over difficulty. (Although the revisions also add extra-hard modes which help balance that out somewhat.) The basic core combat system is really good but the "real world" elements and time management are what define the recent Persona games compared to the far more dungeon-crawly core SMT franchise.

Schwartzcough posted:

If you dislike the idea of time management aspects, Persona really isn't for you. The core SMT games have a much greater emphasis on gameplay-over-plot and are more likely to be something you'd enjoy. Persona is good at what it does but if the idea of doing social interaction over punching monsters isn't what you're looking for, you're not going to be happy with it. The gameplay isn't light. There's a lot of it. However it's divided into chunks. You'll be doing a lot of dungeon crawling and then a lot of not-dungeon-crawling. (The exact ratio depends on how quickly you finish a dungeon.) The two are interlinked. Doing social stuff powers up your main character (and eventually your party members) but it's still a lot of dialogue selection.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 4, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Persona 4 is extremely good. Anyone who posts in the Final Fantasy Megathread should probably play Persona 4 and then more SMT games.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Syrant posted:

As far as FFVIII I always liked Irvine and it wasn't until recently I realized he doesn't choke when lining up his shot of Edea, he just recognizes her since he's not GF mind-hosed. Laguna and Ward also loving rule.

Wait, really? I don't remember that at all from that scene. How can you tell, or is it only from the later context?

Re: Persona discussion, I've played both P3:P and P4G on my Vita. I stuck with P3 longer because I found the characters more interesting. Something about P4's town was more depressing or something. Both have similar, but not the same mechanics. I also actually preferred P3's field system where you didn't need to actually walk your avatar around to talk to people, you just clicked on their little dot. I've heard more people say P4G is the better game but you wouldn't go wrong trying either if you're any kind of a JRPG fan and have a Vita (or PS2/PSP) to play them on.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks for all the Persona feedback. I think I'll hold off on it for the moment; lord knows I have enough games to play on my pile.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Wait, really? I don't remember that at all from that scene. How can you tell, or is it only from the later context?

It's one of the things that fans have filled in because VIII's plot is retarded. While that rationale WOULD make sense, he specifically says:
Irvine: "I...I can't...I'm sorry, I can't do it. I always choke like this... I
try to act all cool, joke around, but I just can't handle the
pressure..."

Squall: "Forget it. Just shoot."

Irvine: "My bullet... The sorceress... I'll go down in history. I'd change the
history of Galbadia... Of the world! It's all too much..."

So either he just came up with a self-depreciating lie on the spot to cover the fact that he decided he couldn't shoot Edea (which I feel he is neither quick-witted enough to do that, nor is he the sort of personality to make himself look like an incompetent wuss on purpose; but also: why lie?; Also also: he ends up taking the shot anyway, so clearly he wasn't that concerned about shooting her), or Galbadia Garden's best sharp-shooter sent on this highly important assassination mission has repeatedly choked under pressure. Based on the stupidness of the plot, I'm guessing it's the latter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved the gently caress out of Persona 3 and 4 but I would never try and tell anyone the battle system/RPG mechanics are more tactical or in-depth than FF games. Every battle, with very few exceptions, boils down to "exploit enemy weakness, protect against enemy elemental attack type". That's seriously it. Every random encounter (at least for 75-90% of the games) goes like this:

1. Pick a Persona with an attack one of the enemies is weak against.
2. Use it. This lets you go again.
3. Repeat.
4. Win.

Boss battles are often more interesting and quite hard, but the core mechanics and gameplay? When I said it was "light" I didn't mean there wasn't much of it, I meant it's really simplistic. And in way, that works in its favor, because dungeon crawls (and they are crawls, because the dungeons are just randomly generated hallways with pretty wallpaper) can become a thing you just sort of zone out during.

Now, the other games in the series, especially like Strange Journey, often have a lot more going on. Seriously Strange Journey is good stuff.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

Speaking of things we like about FFX but many don't, despite the dopey dialogue, I've always like the romance between Tidus and Yuna. Mainly because unlike soooo many JRPG couples (and a lot of other examples in media in general) they just seem like two people who liked and were attracted to each other from the get-go. No forced bickering or resentment or other bullshit. I find it kinda refreshing.

The fact that Tidus is so dopey and Yuna's so drat shy at the beginning of the game that a slight change in breeze scares the pants off of her, along with stuff like the laughing scene really helps sell that at its heart FFX is a love story, and that's one of the things I really enjoy about it. The story's hilarious and Seymour's still doofy as hell, but I've really enjoyed rewatching Yuna and Tidus' plot develop since there really isn't that many RPGs where people are generally just awkward around each other instead of screaming for 20 hours then making out for the last act of the game. Then again, any love story's a success as long as it doesn't go the route of Phantasy Star III, where it was so compartmentalized that it was really more of a gameplay mechanic than an actually involving subplot. "Do you want your son to have brown hair or green hair? The green son can cast healing magic and the brunette son hits like a tank!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Schwartzcough posted:

Thanks for all the Persona feedback. I think I'll hold off on it for the moment; lord knows I have enough games to play on my pile.

It's one of the things that fans have filled in because VIII's plot is retarded. While that rationale WOULD make sense, he specifically says:
Irvine: "I...I can't...I'm sorry, I can't do it. I always choke like this... I
try to act all cool, joke around, but I just can't handle the
pressure..."

Squall: "Forget it. Just shoot."

Irvine: "My bullet... The sorceress... I'll go down in history. I'd change the
history of Galbadia... Of the world! It's all too much..."

So either he just came up with a self-depreciating lie on the spot to cover the fact that he decided he couldn't shoot Edea (which I feel he is neither quick-witted enough to do that, nor is he the sort of personality to make himself look like an incompetent wuss on purpose; but also: why lie?; Also also: he ends up taking the shot anyway, so clearly he wasn't that concerned about shooting her), or Galbadia Garden's best sharp-shooter sent on this highly important assassination mission has repeatedly choked under pressure. Based on the stupidness of the plot, I'm guessing it's the latter.

Since the plan was designed in such a way that a magic woman who can make bullet-deflecting shields will know exact where to put her bullet shields because she gets blocked in on three sides, it's not exactly a blemish on the operation's otherwise-spotless record. Still, Irvine's character inconsistencies are most likely just the result of the writers not caring very much, since the designers' approach was really just to only give characters besides Squall and Rinoa things that related to Squall and Rinoa. Really I think trying to derive character building from anything that isn't characters sitting down and stating how they feel for the benefit of the player is probably kind of useless because the writers generally didn't give a gently caress. It's like trying to come to a conclusion about character motivations on Voyager, they change to however the writers need them to be and everyone is just kind of interchangeable (just like in gameplay terms).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TARDISman posted:

Then again, any love story's a success as long as it doesn't go the route of Phantasy Star III, where it was so compartmentalized that it was really more of a gameplay mechanic than an actually involving subplot. "Do you want your son to have brown hair or green hair? The green son can cast healing magic and the brunette son hits like a tank!"

Or Dragon Quest V's way of doing things: http://www.hejibits.com/comics/wedding-warrior/

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dragon Quest V is better since you can use party chat to actually get some personality behind your characters, compared to Phantasy Star which mostly is "Hey, sup I'm Wren, I'm a cyborg, let's go wreck poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, Wren did the same thing in Phantasy Star 4 and it was great.