Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Bitching about Mario Kart is a bizarre, if popular, pastime. In my experience the better player wins the most matches out of 100, but won't necessarily win any given race.

It might be less aggravating if people took a little longer view of their performance. I'm not saying you should scratch tally marks into a notebook every time you finish a race of Don't Drink and Drive, but let the die rolls balance out and there's a large skill element to the game, no question.
Yeah if you're good enough you should generally win or at least finish towards the top pretty consistently, with a few outliers where you get completely boned. Course the latter is more likely to happen with a group of similarly good MK players, and I imagine there's a decent amount considering how long the series has been around and having sold a billion copies or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

japtor posted:

Yeah if you're good enough you should generally win or at least finish towards the top pretty consistently, with a few outliers where you get completely boned. Course the latter is more likely to happen with a group of similarly good MK players, and I imagine there's a decent amount considering how long the series has been around and having sold a billion copies or so.

One day competitive Mario Kart fans will rival competitive Smash fans. They will only want to play Luigi Circuit with bananas and green shells.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

thetoughestbean posted:

One of the tricks to deal with the blue shell(at least in DS and 7) is to keep an eye on the items. If someone has a blue shell, then it's time to slam on the brakes and let some other schmuck take the hit.

Once the shell was launched in Mario Kart 7 it would go for whoever was in first when it was launched even if they dropped to second, which was complete bullshit.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Sire Oblivion posted:

Once the shell was launched in Mario Kart 7 it would go for whoever was in first when it was launched even if they dropped to second, which was complete bullshit.

Nah, that's only if its like right on you as you try to brake to second.

If they launch it off and you brake to 2nd and its not caught up to you yet it'll go for the next sap.

I really hope they eliminate the Flying Red Shell thing MK7 did whenever somebody shot off a Red shell from across a Hang glider gap and it flies across the gap just to hit you, oftentimes WHILE you're hang gliding. I mean, that's not really a balance thing, that's just bullshit. There's no reason a Red Shell should be allowed to travel like that just to smack you because Yoshi or whomever shot it off before they did the Hang Gliding segment.

Hell, just have Hang gliding segments make you impervious to all shells, they already make it so you can't be hit by Lightning if you're in the air, or at least it doesn't make you stop and fall to your death.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Lightning not being able to hit you in the air sounds like a great thing since at least half of my hosed up MKWii 150cc cups have been because lightning would stop you in midair, and usually over a pit. It's also great that Mario Kart 8 isn't as flat looking as Wii was.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spacebump posted:

One day competitive Mario Kart fans will rival competitive Smash fans. They will only want to play Luigi Circuit with bananas and green shells.
Double Dash Baby Park with super items turned up and laps maxed out is the only way to play.

Aladdin
Feb 16, 2011
I was wondering, in between now and the new Mario Kart coming out, is the refurbished $200 deluxe console probably the best deal I could get? I'm on the edge of taking the plunge, but I was aiming to be as thrifty as possible, especially because I never intended to get a Wii U in the first place. The allure of fun local multiplayer is becoming too much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's probably your best bet. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Mario Kart 8 bundle announced soon but you'd still get a better deal getting one at $200 and the game separately.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So NOE have confirmed a Super Smash Bros. 4 themed direct for the 8th.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cool! That probably means a simultaneous broadcast for other regions, too.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Bummer that they are going with the new times for these things.

Midnight local was better for me than 8am local is.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
5PM is perfect for me. Really excited for this, hope we get some info on game modes/online play.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm hoping we get some more details on non smash related stuff due to release soon, because it's going to be weird if we go into E3 with the Smash games potentially being the only games we have a release date for.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The only problem I have with items like the blue shell is that you need to play the single player mode to unlock all the characters, karts, and tracks. Having to do the all cup tour from scratch because of some horrible luck during the final course isn't great.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

e: nevermind

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

That loving Sned posted:

The only problem I have with items like the blue shell is that you need to play the single player mode to unlock all the characters, karts, and tracks. Having to do the all cup tour from scratch because of some horrible luck during the final course isn't great.

I consider myself to be a pretty decent Mario Kart player and really the only time the blue shell stuff bothers me is when I'm trying for stars on my profile. I'm so close to 3 on Mario Kart 7 but it keeps coming down to bad luck on the last few cups I need to star.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

Dude, green shells can ricochet unpredictably and so make the whole thing random and no longer an ultimate test of skill.
Luigi Circuit
Yoshi only
No items

You probably liked tripping too...

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Trent posted:

Dude, green shells can ricochet unpredictably and so make the whole thing random and no longer an ultimate test of skill.

Mario Kart 8 Tournament
Degree in Chaos Theory REQUIRED

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
What in the world, blue shells are usually pretty easy to avoid you wimplings. Not knowing how to avoid the blue shell and wanting it out of the game completely sounds to me like an idea a beginner who isn't familiar with the game would come up with.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The Blue Shell seems easier to work with on the dual-screened games than it does on the big-screen games. For this reason, I have high hopes for handling them in 8.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Isn't the whole point of the blue shell to punish players who get half a lap ahead of everyone else? In a game about giving everyone at least a shot at winning that's never been crazy to me.

Mario Kart Wii blue shells were insane, but that was because the AI cheated like crazy on higher difficulties and your only choice was to work on your lap times or get lucky.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
I know it isn't directly related to the WiiU but seeing as this is the closest thing we have to a Nintendo thread:
This was today on the entrance to my university (medschool)

Edit: And of course whats is Link without Samus?

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

papasyhotcakes posted:

I know it isn't directly related to the WiiU but seeing as this is the closest thing we have to a Nintendo thread:
This was today on the entrance to my university (medschool)

...Quick tell Nintendo, see if they'll buy it.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
That looks neat, but why was it there?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
One of the Professors is a big fan of LOTR, Star Wars and Nintendo in general and apparently one of the perks of being a neurosurgeon is having a lot of money to do what you want. Said professor is also one of the people in charge of the PreGrad program, and sometimes he brings his collection of sculptures to the school for us to gawk at.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

papasyhotcakes posted:

One of the Professors is a big fan of LOTR, Star Wars and Nintendo in general and apparently one of the perks of being a neurosurgeon is having a lot of money to do what you want. Said professor is also one of the people in charge of the PreGrad program, and sometimes he brings his collection of sculptures to the school for us to gawk at.

That's awesome. That thing must've been crazy expensive though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Nah, that's only if its like right on you as you try to brake to second.

If they launch it off and you brake to 2nd and its not caught up to you yet it'll go for the next sap.

According to the wiki you need to drop out of first before it's launched.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Sire Oblivion posted:

According to the wiki you need to drop out of first before it's launched.

I think you get a little bit of leeway if its jut been fired, but if its started giving you the "shell approaching" warning its too late.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Some kind of Tropical Freeze patch came down last night, anyone know what that's about?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Artix posted:

Some kind of Tropical Freeze patch came down last night, anyone know what that's about?

There was a glitch on world 2-5 that sometimes made the map not fill out after you beat it, making progress impossible.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

whaley posted:

What in the world, blue shells are usually pretty easy to avoid you wimplings. Not knowing how to avoid the blue shell and wanting it out of the game completely sounds to me like an idea a beginner who isn't familiar with the game would come up with.
Yeah, if you want to see a multiplayer game that is really broken by a single item there's Tetris Axis on 3DS. There's an item that makes you switch the entire playfield with your opponent. It effectively ends the match any time it shows up, because you can just sabotage your own playfield and then send it to the opponent so the next piece kills them. And of course, in that game, items are an all-or-nothing deal, so you're stuck with vanilla Tetris if you don't want to deal with that one hideously unfair item.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

whaley posted:

How are they easy to avoid? When you are running first, you don't get mushrooms. Unless it is getting to you right as you have some sort of boost available, you can't avoid them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

papasyhotcakes posted:

Edit: And of course whats is Link without Samus?

Of course it's Other M Samus...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

whaley posted:

That strat really only makes sense if you're in a lobby where nintendo's shitawful matchmaking system somehow managed to organize a group of similarly skilled players, and you're not half a lap ahead of 2nd place. Regardless, "try not winning for a bit" as a strat is dumb, and trying to rationalize a dumb item they made worse every iteration (i have not played the 3ds mk so maybe they made it less dumb there???) is even dumber.

The best strat to avoiding blue shells in mkwii is to just hope you're on a track with a lot of midair poo poo or about to go through a cannon or some other device that makes you invincible for the duration.

Minidust posted:

Yeah, if you want to see a multiplayer game that is really broken by a single item there's Tetris Axis on 3DS. There's an item that makes you switch the entire playfield with your opponent. It effectively ends the match any time it shows up, because you can just sabotage your own playfield and then send it to the opponent so the next piece kills them. And of course, in that game, items are an all-or-nothing deal, so you're stuck with vanilla Tetris if you don't want to deal with that one hideously unfair item.

haven't mp tetris games w/ items always had a field flipping item

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently MK8 drops from 60fps to 30fps if more than 2 people play locally. That's according to NintendoLife.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Quest For Glory II posted:

Apparently MK8 drops from 60fps to 30fps if more than 2 people play locally. That's according to NintendoLife.

That's uhhhh kind of a big deal. What happens when 4 people play locally? Does it just poo poo itself?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's 30fps for 3 or 4 players.

Also Mario Kart TV is similar to demo recording in PC games, rather than capturing and uploading video.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 4, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Louisgod posted:

That's uhhhh kind of a big deal. What happens when 4 people play locally? Does it just poo poo itself?

From what I hear it drops some graphics features (Not as long a draw distance I think) and it goes from constant 60 fps to constant 30.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Louisgod posted:

Hopefully it doesn't go Mario Kart 64 mode and take away the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Hopefully it doesn't go Mario Kart 64 mode and take away the music.

Yes, that was the problem with mario kart 64 multiplayer. not the frame skip actually speeding the game up and making racing awful.

• Locked thread