Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hank Pym is the worst man in the universe.

West Coast Avengers although I don't have the issue.
Google and my hazy memory collaborate to say it's West Coast Avengers Annual 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

It has a certain kawaii charm ~

Kinda stupid, but it's actually reasonably humorous.

Last time I watched it it was just Family Guy with Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheJoker138 posted:

Last time I watched it it was just Family Guy with Spider-Man.

I hope to Christ there were less rape jokes at least.

Edit: Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled so they could make Ultimate, and Spectacular was the best superhero cartoon since B:TAS, that's why people hate Ultimate.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 4, 2014

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Soonmot posted:

We need the page where Bobby's flanked by Liz and Johnny with the ice slide.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #200

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MikeJF posted:

What the hell is that flying saucer?

Awesome, that's what!

I haven't read USM since Ultimatum. I keep saying I'll pick it back up, but I haven't.

Is it worth it? I kinda miss it sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I miss having that every month. I hope those guys get some play in USM now that everybody's friends with Miles.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Hank Pym is the worst man in the universe.

West Coast Avengers although I don't have the issue.

He gets gruesomely murdered in the second part of that story, so at least justice is served. I'd post panels, but it's not really funny out of context.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Skwirl posted:

I hope to Christ there were less rape jokes at least.

Edit: Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled so they could make Ultimate, and Spectacular was the best superhero cartoon since B:TAS, that's why people hate Ultimate.

SSM wasn't specifically cancelled to make way for USM, the situation there is a whole lot more complex. You might be thinking of Avengers EMH, which was cancelled specifically to make way for Avengers Assemble.

Both AA and USM have animation that's so loving terrible I could probably post it here under the criteria of "unintentionally hilarious comic book related material" but that'd mean subjecting people to it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm still so angry at Avengers Assemble even existing that I have yet to watch a single episode of it. I don't understand WHY it exists when EMH was already very similar to the movie versions of the characters and also excellent.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

SSM wasn't specifically cancelled to make way for USM, the situation there is a whole lot more complex. You might be thinking of Avengers EMH, which was cancelled specifically to make way for Avengers Assemble.

I believe SSM was cancelled because Sony traded away the animations rights for Spider-Man back to Marvel in exchange for them getting to make more Spider-Man movies.

I'd rather just watch Teen Titans Go, where it's insane and ridiculous without needing to be constrained by plot or continuity.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
To give the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon credit, they did do a good Throg episode. The unserious tone of the show really fits the insanity of old Thor comics.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The cartoon has JK Simmons and Clark Gregg, your argument is invalid.

(It's a guilty pleasure.)

It's a superhero cartoon actually aimed at kids which is hard for some people. But Bobby thinking it's cool actually makes sense, since he is sort of childish.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
How little we think of children.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Soonmot posted:

We need the page where Bobby's flanked by Liz and Johnny with the ice slide.
Someone posted the end but the whole page is great.

UCSM#200

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
Panel 3 of this page made me chuckle:

From Batman - The Widening Gyre issue 4.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Nothing about Kevin Smith Batman comics is funny, this is axiomatic

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr. Maltose posted:

Children are, in fact, stupid. The average young child will chose the Star Wars Prequels over the Original Trilogy, there is no limit to their foolishness.

It really depends on what age bracket we're talking about, but the "kids are actually much smarter than we give them credit for" crowd tends to quickly try and argue that they're exactly like adults and it really irks me after a while. Considering that I thought Power Rangers was awesome when I was 8, children are clearly not very discerning.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

gently caress Your Website posted:

Nothing about Kevin Smith Batman comics is funny, this is axiomatic

"We’re not sure you are 'getting' the character because it’s common knowledge that Batman never says 'kinda'.”

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

EvilRic posted:

Is that Harley Quinn? :psyduck:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is that Harley Quinn? :psyduck:
Silver St. Cloud.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

They're not so bad. They don't say pretentious poo poo like this, for example.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

theflyingorc posted:

Children are, in fact, stupid. The average young child will chose the Star Wars Prequels over the Original Trilogy, there is no limit to their foolishness.

It really depends on what age bracket we're talking about, but the "kids are actually much smarter than we give them credit for" crowd tends to quickly try and argue that they're exactly like adults and it really irks me after a while. Considering that I thought Power Rangers was awesome when I was 8, children are clearly not very discerning.

Children don't really care. A plot or whatever doesn't matter as long as there are cool fights and spiderman shows up they are fine. USM is just lazy. It doesn't appeal to kids anymore than any other cartoon or show really.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ultimately (getit) it is possible to make shows that resonate with kids and aren't insufferable for adults. This has been proven time and time again. It's fair enough it hits the demographic they're aiming for as a metric of success (I don't know if that's true for USM or not), but it is possible to do both.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ultimately (getit) it is possible to make shows that resonate with kids and aren't insufferable for adults. This has been proven time and time again. It's fair enough it hits the demographic they're aiming for as a metric of success (I don't know if that's true for USM or not), but it is possible to do both.

Oh, that's certainly true. This, however, requires actual effort without significant financial benefits (the toys are gonna sell either way), so the men with the checks don't really help you make a quality product.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

EvilRic posted:

Tim Allen: Dark Knight

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Oh, that's certainly true. This, however, requires actual effort without significant financial benefits (the toys are gonna sell either way), so the men with the checks don't really help you make a quality product.

Don't forget the people making the programming are adults. It's more fun to make a show that isn't insufferable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Silhouette posted:

Tim Allen: Dark Knight

"What are you dense? Are you retarded? I'm the goddamn Tool Man!"

Robin wears flannel and we never see Alfred's face.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

You know what the Bat-Grapple needs?
MORE! POWER!

That's right. This bad boy can now lift 4,000 pounds 100 feet straight up in 3.2 seconds, it's so fast, Flash spins around wondering what the hell just happened *inarticulate grunting*

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Servoret posted:

"We’re not sure you are 'getting' the character because it’s common knowledge that Batman never says 'kinda'.”

On the other hand, I can totally believe that Batman is completely silent when having sex.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

theflyingorc posted:

Which is really short sighted, adventure time became a merchandising Galactus by appealing to adults and children and getting sales from a wider market. If a kid likes the show you sell one shirt if the parents and the kid like it you sell three.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gavok posted:

All of Batman's gadgets have the model name Waynetech 5200.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
Bubbles' tragic origin
Defenders v1 #25

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Elf With A Gun saga is so goddamn surreal.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

WickedHate posted:

The Elf With A Gun saga is so goddamn surreal.

The Defenders in general was so goddamn surreal.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Elf With A Gun sounds like the title for the next Flaming Lips album, released as a flash drive attached to a plasticine mini-elf. With a gun.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Marvel never goes balls out surreal like Steve Gerber did in the 70's :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve Gerber was one of a kind.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
This thread got me reading through the old defenders stuff and there really is nothing else like it, I wanted to say suicide squad, but that would be off. It manages to revel in its weirdness while still managing to be marvel as hell.

Content:

We forgot.
Goddess did 9-11

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hmm? Is this Defenders or Doctor Strange? Strange blew up the universe(And begged Eternity to put it back; he ended up creating a new one almost the same.) and I remember a similar sequence from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Infinity Crusade?

• Locked thread