Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Get rid of it, it's an accident waiting to happen :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Put an egg in it. And then put your finger in it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Make the best volcano at your next science fair.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My very lovely wife picked up the wrong thing for me at the Asian supermarket. Instead of shaoxing wine, she got "dense vinegar", which turns out is white vinegar at a strength of 47% instead of the normal 5%. So, aside from watering it down and being very careful to not spill it in my eyeballs, is there some sort of specific use for this stuff?

Apparently it's a natural herbicide.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

dino. posted:

Apparently it's a natural herbicide.

Winning answer. I have some alfalfa that's being difficult to get rid of.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm buying new kitchen supplies for the apartment I'm moving into next month. I've done enough cooking to know what I like and what I shouldn't skimp on, and one thing I've always wanted to own is a really good chef's knife. Now you can get a Ginsu or Chicago Cutlery knife block set for $20-30, and I'm sure its all serviceable, but I'd like to own a single large knife for important or difficult jobs - something I can hang on the wall on a magnetic strip and be proud of.

I have no idea what brands are good, or where on the graph you start paying exponentially more money for a marginally better product. I guess at most I want to spend $150 on this single knife, and would appreciate some suggestions or resources to look at.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The Bramble posted:

I'm buying new kitchen supplies for the apartment I'm moving into next month. I've done enough cooking to know what I like and what I shouldn't skimp on, and one thing I've always wanted to own is a really good chef's knife. Now you can get a Ginsu or Chicago Cutlery knife block set for $20-30, and I'm sure its all serviceable, but I'd like to own a single large knife for important or difficult jobs - something I can hang on the wall on a magnetic strip and be proud of.

I have no idea what brands are good, or where on the graph you start paying exponentially more money for a marginally better product. I guess at most I want to spend $150 on this single knife, and would appreciate some suggestions or resources to look at.

There's a knife thread here with some good advice. I think the consensus is Tojiro DP. For what its worth I've had a 10 inch Wusthof for the last 12 years and I'm really happy with it, but I think your best bet is to try a few at the store and see what feels good. German steel like I'm using is pretty soft and needs to be honed before each use and sharpened every 6 months or so (more often if it gets heavier use). Good Japanese steel knives tend to be harder and need less frequent sharpening and also tend to be lighter.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My very lovely wife picked up the wrong thing for me at the Asian supermarket. Instead of shaoxing wine, she got "dense vinegar", which turns out is white vinegar at a strength of 47% instead of the normal 5%. So, aside from watering it down and being very careful to not spill it in my eyeballs, is there some sort of specific use for this stuff?

We use a fume hood for Acetic acid concentrations higher than 25%. So be careful bro.

Sumptious
Dec 19, 2013
Does anyone here have a recipe that they would recommend for a Potato and Leek soup? Perhaps, a family recipe would be best.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sumptious posted:

Does anyone here have a recipe that they would recommend for a Potato and Leek soup? Perhaps, a family recipe would be best.

(about) 1 TB olive oil
1 leek
2 yukon gold or red potatoes (or use whatever you have if you don't have either of those)
1 litre water
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Slice the leeks in half lengthwise, and then slice into half moons. Use the greens and everything. Soak them in cold water, and agitate well to remove the mud. Lift the leeks out of the bowl, and place into a strainer. You should see some dirt at the bottom of the water bowl. Pour out the dirty water, and rinse the bowl. Rinse the leeks in a fresh batch of water. By now, most of the mud should be gone, but you'll likely have a bit more. Rinse one more time, or as many times as it takes for there to be no more mud at the bottom.

Honestly, the leek cleaning is the longest part. Dice the potatoes into about 1 inch cubes. Add the leeks to a stock pot, and add the olive oil. By adding the leeks and fat at the same time, you avoid having to add much more oil than absolutely necessary. Cook the leeks over medium heat, until softened, but not browned. Crank up the heat to high, and lightly brown the leeks. Add the potatoes, and sautee with the leeks for about a minute, until all the potatoes are coated in the leeks and the fat. Generously sprinkle with salt. Add water enough to JUST cover the potatoes. You might not need the full litre, or you might need a bit more. Your potatoes may vary.

Bring the water up to a full, rushing boil. Let boil for 3 minutes. Drop the heat down to a simmer, and cook away for about 12 - 23 minutes or so, or until the potatoes are tender (depending on how evenly and small you diced your potatoes). Check the largest potato cube in the pot every ten minutes or so to see how it's doing, so that you don't end up with overcooked potatoes. Turn off the heat, and generously pepper it. Serve.

Excellent additions:
- plenty of snipped chives
- a tiny tiny tiny scraping of nutmeg
- chopped spinach, kale, or broccoli, depending on what you have lying about
- the aforementioned veg, along with a splash of coconut milk
- 1 -3 cloves of finely minced garlic, added along with the leeks
- 1 small onion, and 3 scallions, to fortify the leeks

You'd be surprised at how much just potatoes, leeks, salt, and pepper tastes so amazing. It's such a simple, plain dish, but it's got so much good taste. And this is coming from a dude who's used to using obscene amounts of spices in everything. Sometimes the really simple things are what make life good.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Not a family recipe, but tried and tested many times and excellent. Dirt simple too. This one's a bit creamier: Soup!

dino.'s spot on about the simple things :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Bramble posted:

Buy what fits your hand. My bread knife is a Henkle, but my main chopping knife is a Cuisinart brand santuko that I got on sale for $21 bucks. It requires sharpening more frequently then better steel would, but it fits my big fat paw and I love it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I am thinking about making a good sized Beef Brisket in my electric smoker. This will be the first brisket I do and I am wondering if anyone has any recipes for using the leftover meat afterwards. I will use a bunch of it for a main meal and sandwiches but it will be a LOT for my family so there will be plenty of leftovers.

I also have to go to a gathering where I need to bring a dish and thought maybe I could use it in some sort of dish. I am not really looking for things like brisket sandwiches or main dish type things though. Some sort of side dish / hors d'oeuvres type thing.

Another question i would like an answer to if possible is will I see any advantage to vacuum sealing my brisket with the rub on it when I let in sit in the fridge for a day? We have a vacuum sealer that doesn't get used much but I don't want to ruin it or something.

aquaper
Apr 3, 2009
On a whim I bought some angostura bitters. I found a few recipes that incorporated them but nothing jumped out at me to make. I'm looking for either a grilled fish or chicken dish where the inclusion of the bitters would not overpower everything else. Thanks!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
They'll overpower in grilled dishes, because they're not being dispersed. They're excellent over ripe berries. Just a dash or two, and it brings out the flavour a treat. Also really good to throw into a long braised stew. In Trinidad, they make their curry with a few shakes of bitters. You can immediately tell when you've added it in, because the aroma is rather heady. Also, drink a pink gin.

EDIT: my bad

http://www.angosturabitters.com/FoodRecipes

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I wonder now if angostura would be good in a creme brulee?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Breaky posted:

I wonder now if angostura would be good in a creme brulee?

Yassssssss. Do it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bitters are always good. Though for a confession, I always use Peychard's instead of Angosturra.

Sumptious
Dec 19, 2013

dino. posted:

(about) 1 TB olive oil
1 leek
2 yukon gold or red potatoes (or use whatever you have if you don't have either of those)
1 litre water
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Slice the leeks in half lengthwise, and then slice into half moons. Use the greens and everything. Soak them in cold water, and agitate well to remove the mud. Lift the leeks out of the bowl, and place into a strainer. You should see some dirt at the bottom of the water bowl. Pour out the dirty water, and rinse the bowl. Rinse the leeks in a fresh batch of water. By now, most of the mud should be gone, but you'll likely have a bit more. Rinse one more time, or as many times as it takes for there to be no more mud at the bottom.

Honestly, the leek cleaning is the longest part. Dice the potatoes into about 1 inch cubes. Add the leeks to a stock pot, and add the olive oil. By adding the leeks and fat at the same time, you avoid having to add much more oil than absolutely necessary. Cook the leeks over medium heat, until softened, but not browned. Crank up the heat to high, and lightly brown the leeks. Add the potatoes, and sautee with the leeks for about a minute, until all the potatoes are coated in the leeks and the fat. Generously sprinkle with salt. Add water enough to JUST cover the potatoes. You might not need the full litre, or you might need a bit more. Your potatoes may vary.

Bring the water up to a full, rushing boil. Let boil for 3 minutes. Drop the heat down to a simmer, and cook away for about 12 - 23 minutes or so, or until the potatoes are tender (depending on how evenly and small you diced your potatoes). Check the largest potato cube in the pot every ten minutes or so to see how it's doing, so that you don't end up with overcooked potatoes. Turn off the heat, and generously pepper it. Serve.

Excellent additions:
- plenty of snipped chives
- a tiny tiny tiny scraping of nutmeg
- chopped spinach, kale, or broccoli, depending on what you have lying about
- the aforementioned veg, along with a splash of coconut milk
- 1 -3 cloves of finely minced garlic, added along with the leeks
- 1 small onion, and 3 scallions, to fortify the leeks

You'd be surprised at how much just potatoes, leeks, salt, and pepper tastes so amazing. It's such a simple, plain dish, but it's got so much good taste. And this is coming from a dude who's used to using obscene amounts of spices in everything. Sometimes the really simple things are what make life good.

I have to make this now haha! I'll let you know how well it goes when I get around to making the soup. Thanks so much for all the advice!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

i've been meaning to try this recipe out, looks pretty tasty:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Beef-Rendang

Do you think using a little extra ginger could work as a substitute for the galangal? I can't find the latter in any of the stores nearby and I think it's the only ingredient I'm missing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Do you think using a little extra ginger could work as a substitute for the galangal? I can't find the latter in any of the stores nearby and I think it's the only ingredient I'm missing.

That would be totally fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Zerilan posted:

I've seen people suggest it but I do remember seeing a Thai food blog insist that it's not a good substitute.

Any chance you have an hmart near you? I think I have seen it there.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

goodness posted:

We use a fume hood for Acetic acid concentrations higher than 25%. So be careful bro.

Where do you work that that's a rule? We use 100% on the benchside all the time.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I've seen people suggest it but I do remember seeing a Thai food blog insist that it's not a good substitute.

Any chance you have an hmart near you? I think I have seen it there.

I'm studying abroad in Sweden right now and not really sure what's around me. There's a small indian food store that might have powdered galangal, but I don't know anywhere nearby I could get it fresh.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Zerilan posted:

I'm studying abroad in Sweden right now and not really sure what's around me. There's a small indian food store that might have powdered galangal, but I don't know anywhere nearby I could get it fresh.

They're not the same but they're very similar, and it's common to substitute ginger.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks. Only other thing I'm not fully sure if I'll be able to find is the kaffir lime leaves.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Ok so I have a question about Indian food. My girlfriend and I tried making Chicken Tikka Masala lately in the slow cooker using this recipe:

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/chicken-tikka-masala-crockpot/

When I got home it smelled great, just like it would have if I had ordered it from the restaurant. However once I did the final step and plated it up, it tasted much more bland than the smell it was giving off. You could kind of taste the spices in it, but it just was not flavorful at all, in addition to the chicken being drier than I would have thought it would be.

I followed the recipe to the letter, the only exception being that the tomato puree I purchased was half the size of what the recipe called for. I don't think that in itself would make it come out on the bland side, but who knows, this is the first time we ever tried making Indian food, so I don't know poo poo about poo poo. Any suggestions?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
First and foremost, I would say that chicken breast plus crock pot is a terrible idea in general. It gets overcooked and dry and bleh. So that's why your chicken is dry. Use chicken thighs next time. Yes, they're slightly fattier; they also are suited for long low and slow cooking, and will come out delicious.

Secondly, I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with this recipe--it seems to have plenty of spices, with whole tablespoons of most of them--but I do wonder if it might have benefited simply from the addition of more salt? 2 tsp of salt on 3 lbs of meat is not very much at all. Alternatively, the lack of tomato puree might have thrown the acid in the recipe off? Adding additional acid and spice (maybe like a lime pickle or a chutney of some kind) might help add more flavor. Fresh herbs like a mint chutney or even just a sprinkling of cilantro might also help liven up flavors.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
In addition to (a bit) more salt and the right amount of tomatopuree, have a taste BEFORE you add the heavy cream and cornstarch....if that tastes what you expect your dish to taste like, then do not add that amount of heavy cream. You won't be tasting much of your spices if you do (maybe half the amount would be oke if your dish is really spicy?)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, as already stated, chicken breast cooked that long is going to be dry. Another big contributor to the lack of flavor is like a lot of crockpot recipes, you are missing a major component of flavor and that is the Maillard reaction. Chicken tikka is a boneless version of tandoor chicken, which composes of chicken marinated in yogurt and spices and then cooked in a tandoor oven or lacking one, on a grill or even broiled in a regular oven.

So you want to prepare your chicken separately first with the yogurt and spices and then cooking with some sort of high heat method to brown it.

The sauce is made separately (and doesn't need 8 hours in a crockpot) and then the chicken is added to the sauce.

Here's one recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/chicken-tikka-masala-for-the-grill-recipe.html

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Yeah I figured the tomato puree might have thrown off the acidity, I hadn't thought about the salt though. I usually tend to use less salt than most people just because I don't like having too much sodium in my diet, but I will try it with more and see how it goes. Same for the heavy cream, I didn't think to taste the sauce before I added it in, it looked like a pretty good color before I added it in, I will test it first next time.

I realize that a slow cooker is not the traditional or even best way to make this particular dish, but we have been trying to use our crockpot more and more lately. Both of us work long hours so having something that is pretty much ready to go when you walk in the door is really nice, we only get a limited amount of time to spend with one another, so not having to worry about cooking and then cleaning everything up afterwards is always nice. (Although I would like to try making it in the more traditional way, cooking it in the crockpot definitely doesn't give it the same texture as grilling it does.)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Go where the Vietnamese go to shop, you might have more luck. Powdered galangal is a world of difference to fresh, though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

For tom kha gai, absolutely, since the galangal is the defining seasoning of that dish. For a rendang I doubt missing it would remove any deliciousness, of course it wouldn't be the same but it sure still would be good.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Scientastic posted:

Where do you work that that's a rule? We use 100% on the benchside all the time.

Labs for chemistry class. Maybe colleges are more strict than jobs.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Any good places to eat in Berlin? We're staying in the Mitte. We like food.

(Yes I will eat all the döner and currywurst, have no worries.)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Zerilan posted:

Where in Sweden are you? Here in Stockholm there are several Asian foodstores where you'd have no problem finding Galangal. I imagine the same goes for at least Gothenburg and Malmö as well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm fed up with my roomies taking bits of my food, I mean besides me knowing they are doing it cause I buy just enough to last 2 weeks and keep counts, now they aren't even trying to be sly about it. Opened a new loaf yesterday and made a single sandwich, tonight half my loving loaf is gone.

So I got this 4 tier shelf in my room, any precautions I should take in throwing bread, chips and cereal on the top tier? Like would I need to cover them from the sun, would it be better throwing it on the third tier instead? Would they be more attractive to ants and other like pests being out in the open like that?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sjurygg posted:

Any good places to eat in Berlin? We're staying in the Mitte. We like food.

(Yes I will eat all the döner and currywurst, have no worries.)

Ishin is a very good Japanese restaurant. They have some interesting changing menu items. They also have cheap and good lunch menus.
http://www.ishin.de/

If you want excellent Chinese food you should go to Good Friends. Order something from the Cantonese section of the menu.
http://www.goodfriends-berlin.de/

Edit: added the websites

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 4, 2014

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Leal posted:

I'm fed up with my roomies taking bits of my food, I mean besides me knowing they are doing it cause I buy just enough to last 2 weeks and keep counts, now they aren't even trying to be sly about it. Opened a new loaf yesterday and made a single sandwich, tonight half my loving loaf is gone.

So I got this 4 tier shelf in my room, any precautions I should take in throwing bread, chips and cereal on the top tier? Like would I need to cover them from the sun, would it be better throwing it on the third tier instead? Would they be more attractive to ants and other like pests being out in the open like that?

Yell at your roommates? Demand money? Reduce the amount of rent you kick in by the amount of food taken each week? People who don't really cook or grocery shop generally have no idea how annoying and lovely it is to do this stuff. We had to talk to one of our roommates about taking boxes of Mac and cheese, slices of bread, and slices of American cheese since his cooking abilities are basically boxed Mac and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches. If he's going to yoink stuff, he at least replaces it now or takes a turn buying the items we all share like milk, eggs, and condiments.

Cereal and chips are usually in opaque packaging so you can kinda keep them anywhere without issue. I probably wouldn't keep bread in direct sunlight, but I just keep my bread on a shelf in the kitchen, not in a cabinet or anything and it's fine. I use it pretty quick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DekeThornton posted:

Where in Sweden are you? Here in Stockholm there are several Asian foodstores where you'd have no problem finding Galangal. I imagine the same goes for at least Gothenburg and Malmö as well.

Linköping. There's one Asian foodstore I can think of that might have it, although it's on the other end of town and probably a 2hour round trip.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 4, 2014