Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I hate showboating before a try is scored.Do whatever you want afterwards,but keep the ball in your hands and your feet on the ground if you haven't grounded the ball yet.

The Top 14 is seriously competitive this year,with only 8 points between 1st and 8th.Bordeaux and Toulouse are both in 6th with 58 points.Bordeaux have a game in hand,and if they get 6th ahead of Toulouse,it will be the first time since 1992 that Toulouse haven't made it to the quarter finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Swan Curry posted:

I hate showboating before a try is scored.Do whatever you want afterwards,but keep the ball in your hands and your feet on the ground if you haven't grounded the ball yet.

The best option is to showboat before, during and after you've scored the try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTx7wy4xuGg

Edit : I forgot how absolutely disgusted Nigel Owens is with the fact that he takes the kick :D

Tyma fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 30, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Tyma posted:

The best option is to showboat before, during and after you've scored the try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTx7wy4xuGg

Edit : I forgot how absolutely disgusted Nigel Owens is with the fact that he takes the kick :D

I love cynical grumpy Nigel, he's porbably the most entertaining thing about the Pro12 some weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rG-vYJc1jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwJoIiO1WCI&t=93s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoBNFOxlQM

e: The best understated pre-try celebration there'll ever be :colbert: :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_qG5NYbUc

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 31, 2014

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think if you're going to showboat it either has to be so over the top that it could be a standalone form of entertainment or nothing at all.

People showboating by doing something funny for 5 seconds after scoring don't have commitment to the cause.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
Round 7 observations:

Andy Ellis is amazing. He was so good on Saturday in a losing team - making huge tackles, always at the back of the ruck, organisation second to none. I don't think the crusaders are that bad, apart from their midfield penetration. They need to start Kieron Fonotia at 13 - he's a big, aggressive midfielder that steps, i just don't get why they don't.

Matt Symons has the biggest locking engine. Him scoring that last try after being sent off earlier was amazing. Talk about redemption. Also Matfield is way off the pace, he was ineffectual at several points in the game, he needs to stand in closer to avoid getting exposed on D.

Richard Buckman from the highlanders is the real deal. I can't believe they put him on a wider contract after a great year last year and now he's back on a full contract but seriously his workrate must be one of the highest for a wing as far as tackles/turnovers.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Crusaders need a proper attacking centre. I like Ryan Crotty, but his biggest strength is in defence and the Crusaders hosed up hard by not going after Nonu, especially considering his performance for the Blues on the weekend.

Matt Symons will be an All Black if he keeps playing like he does and sticks around to fulfil the residency requirements.

Buckman has always been a top quality wing for Hawke's Bay. I was actually quite disappointed with how he was treated at the Hurricanes a couple of years ago, so I'm glad for the guy now that he's at a franchise where he can deliver on a weekly basis. That really does sum up the Highlanders as well. A lot of the players are like Buckman in that they're getting a second chance at this level, or are players that were top quality performers in the ITM Cup. I can't think of a single player there that doesn't deserve to be in the squad.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I'd really prefer if Matt Symons played for England rather than New Zealand.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I am thinking of watching the Wasps during my next trip to London. Adams Park seems inconvenient to reach via public transport though. It's three miles from the next train station and I am lazy. Does anybody know if there is a bus shuttle available? Didn't find anything on the website.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

BabyFur Denny posted:

I am thinking of watching the Wasps during my next trip to London. Adams Park seems inconvenient to reach via public transport though. It's three miles from the next train station and I am lazy. Does anybody know if there is a bus shuttle available? Didn't find anything on the website.

http://www.wasps.co.uk/adamspark.ink

Says there Wasps do a shuttle bus from High Wycombe train station to Adams Park.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There's supposed to be 3 Japanese internationals playing in this game. It's obvious who 2 are but who's the 3rd?

Tragic Peculiar
May 22, 2008
So, the Highlanders already killed the Rebels' first choice 10. This is the first Super XV game I've watched this season, is this going to be a massacre now?

edit- OK, Rebels try, maybe game on!

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

There's supposed to be 3 Japanese internationals playing in this game. It's obvious who 2 are but who's the 3rd?

Sau Male and Horie Shota both started, Tanaka is on the bench?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Oh, hey, Tanaka is on.

Also, this game is loving insane.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Tyma posted:

Oh, hey, Tanaka is on.

Also, this game is loving insane.

That turnover

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Hahaha, they just refuse to win.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Blues vs Brumbies - anyone watching?

Blues get their first line-out and are running it through the forwards - drat Brumbies just stole it.

Edit: and after all that the Brumbies score the first points with a try.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 4, 2014

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
The Blues game plan so far: Get the and ball kick it to Mogg.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The blues are really bad.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
This game would be great teaching tool for anyone who wants to know how to screw up every advantage you get and fail to play to your strengths. Good job Blues!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Look, the rest of Wales hates Cardiff enough as it is. If we had a successful rugby team it would only make matters worse politically speaking.

It's actually a very shrewd move to quell the discontent in the rest of the country by purposefully having a bad rugby team.

I mean it may sound farfetched, but how else would you explain how terrible we are?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Kitchner posted:

Look, the rest of Wales hates Cardiff enough as it is. If we had a successful rugby team it would only make matters worse politically speaking.

It's actually a very shrewd move to quell the discontent in the rest of the country by purposefully having a bad rugby team.

I mean it may sound farfetched, but how else would you explain how terrible we are?

You're referencing the wrong Blues, but your point probably still stands.
http://www.superxv.com/42074/1/brumbies-too-strong-for-inconsistent-blues

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Jamie Joseph is being linked with the vacant Cardiff director of rugby job. I don't follow Super Rugby so much, so thought I'd check the table to see if he's a good fit for the Blues:

Highlanders last year posted:

Pos 14th Played 16 Won 3 Drew 0 Lost 13

Seems like he'll fit in fine :(

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 4, 2014

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

butros posted:

You're referencing the wrong Blues, but your point probably still stands.
http://www.superxv.com/42074/1/brumbies-too-strong-for-inconsistent-blues

Opps! That's what I get for skim reading threads while on the bus.

Still, you're right, the point is still valid :colbert:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

The blues are really bad.

Could this be the thread title that finally unties the northern and southern hemisphere in universal solidarity for the next 3 months?

-

Apparantly The Blues (the bad ones) have sold their shirt sponsorship to BT Sport, have renamed their ground The BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park, aren't paying a single penny to have Sam Warburton play for them, and have hundreds of thousands of pounds in Leigh Halfpenny Money to spend.

Which world-class sportsman should they buy, and spend all of 2015 teaching to play Full-Back?

Tyma fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 4, 2014

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Tyma posted:

Which world-class sportsman should they buy, and spend all of 2015 teaching to play Full-Back?

Gavin Henson:round 2?

The Heineken Cup quarter-finals are shaping up to be pretty good,and although almost all the teams are missing some important players,they should be pretty good.

Clermont vs Leicester is the match I know least about.Leicester will be looking to break Clermont's 60 game winning streak in Stade Marcel-Michelin.Clermont are missing Sivivatu who is usually the most potent part of their back 3,and they're also missing Lee Byrne,meaning Napolioni Nalaga is their only first choice back 3 player available.The replacements,Nakaitaci and Buttin,are more than able.

Although Clermont are missing a number of backs,the pack is where Leicester could win this.Clermont's second row pairing of Hines and Cudmore are fading fast,and give away a fair few penalties.If they can get some points early on and keep Clermont out for the first half,Clermont could choke (As they inevitably will in the Heineken Cup).

Ulster vs Saracens is a rematch of last year's quarter final,where Ulster were easily disposed of.However,Ulster have home advantage this time,and they really don't like losing at Ravenhill.Ulster have a full team,with Pienaar and Best returning.

Ulster have 6 forwards on the bench,which sums up how they plan to beat Saracens.Ferris isn't fit enough to start yet,but between himself and Iain Henderson,Ulster have serious strength coming off the bench.Pienaar has missed the last two games through injury,and they'll need him on top form to win.

Where Saracens could win is through the lineout.Ulster's lineout is nothing to fear,and they're very poor at defending mauls.Time and time again,Ulster have conceded tries through mauls,and Saracens love to maul.Still,I think Ulster can do it,but it will be close.

Munster vs Toulouse is the match where I'm most sure of one team winning.Munster are at home,and have captain Peter O'Mahony back,who is at 6 but plays more like a 7.Their backline is a bit mixed.On one side,they've got Laulala,Zebo and Earls,who are all able to score tries from nothing.On the other hand,Downey at 12 is a poor player,he's a strong defender but is only good for crashing the ball up when attacking.Keatley at 10 is the safer option than the very talented but inexperienced JJ Hanrahan,but if he starts getting slow ball and gets put under pressure,he can crack.

Toulouse are missing tighthead Census Johnston,which they will be disappointed with as Dave Kilcoyne,the Munster loosehead,is an average scrummager.Yannick Nyanga is only fit enough to bench.Beauxis starts at 10,and he's pretty poo poo.Toulouse are at risk of not making the knockout stages of the Top 14 and I have a feeling they'll write this match off to focus on qualifying in the Top 14.If they exploit Munster's weaknesses and get an upper hand in the scrum,they could have a chance but I can't see past a win for Munster.

Toulon vs Leinster.Oh boy.As much as it hurts me to say this,Leinster don't have a hope.They're missing Sean O'Brien and Luke Fitzgerald,two of the key players that have always made a huge impact in the Heineken Cup knockouts (vs Northampton 2011,vs Clermont 2012).O'Connor has decided to start Jimmy Gopperth,who's been patchy for most of the year and has barely played in 6 weeks,ahead of Ian Madigan,who,while nowhere near the level Sexton was for Leinster,is still a fine player.It depresses me to talk about this one,so yeah,Leinster are hosed.

I know this thread generally discusses SH club rugby more (with good reason),if my walls of text are getting annoying to have to scroll through,just let me know and I'll keep them shorter in future.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

This game would be great teaching tool for anyone who wants to know how to screw up every advantage you get and fail to play to your strengths. Good job Blues!

Very frustrating to watch. The Blues hosed up a lot, but the Brumbies also basically strangled them out of the game. A lot of the gently caress-ups appeared to be a case of the Blues trying too hard out of frustration due to the Brumbies defence, and the Brumbies pack definitely won in the breakdown.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

Very frustrating to watch. The Blues hosed up a lot, but the Brumbies also basically strangled them out of the game. A lot of the gently caress-ups appeared to be a case of the Blues trying too hard out of frustration due to the Brumbies defence, and the Brumbies pack definitely won in the breakdown.

The Brumbies played an excellent teritory game and had good defense. They didn't try too much on attack but when they did they tended to score.

The Blues didn't respond to the fact that Brumbies were better at kicking and collecting kicks than they were until sometime into the 2nd half. I don't know why they started with a game plan that played right into the Brumbies strengths but I was seriously pissed watching it play out and kept waiting for them to stop kicking the ball away or, at least, kick for the sidelines.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Joke about not being able to see the Bulls.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Reds getting proper hosed by this ref.

Edit : Raboesque reffing here.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 5, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Force vs Hurricanes final. Book it.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Yeah but I assume other teams will actually tackle the Force players.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You're right. A Lions vs Hurricanes final is also a possibility.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Beauden Barrett for prime minister

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Who the gently caress is this ref? I finally get the time to watch a Chiefs game and when the Chiefs are winning a scrum against the feed *whistle*

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
The Toulouse - Munster game has really got going off now!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
As someone new to Super Rugby, are the Chiefs expected to be 24 points down against the Cheetahs?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Jesus Christ, 5 minutes in and Jared Payne is red carded for taking Alex Goode out in the air, Goode not looking well and he's stretchered off.

All uphill from here for Ulster.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Bullshit decision from Garces,it was stupid from Payne but it's nothing more than a yellow.

e;And they've lost Rory Best.Christ.

tag youre fat fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 5, 2014

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Swan Curry posted:

Bullshit decision from Garces,it was stupid from Payne but it's nothing more than a yellow.

Yeah. I think Goode getting stretchered off got the card upgraded.

Still an unforgivably brain dead move from Payne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Paynes eyes were on the ball the whole time but it was very clumsy, hope Goode isn't too bad.

Can't see Pienaar lasting the whole game now either, shoulder looks bad.

• Locked thread