Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 379

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Usopp is amazing. The art/pacing in general has been pretty bad for a while IMO. How many times pre-new world did you see a Straw Hat get jobbed off screen? Bleh.
To be honest:

I saw Franky and his opponent.
I saw his opponent swim around in the ground and piledrive Franky without Franky being able to do anything, then Machvise body slamming the poor bastard again.
Then I saw Franky all jobbed up.

I didn't need to see more than that. There is so much going on that dragging one fight out for even one chapter would just distract from the other, much more interesting stuff (the story).
As an aside, his job wasn't to win the fight anyway. Just to distract from Usopp's mission. Which he SUPER-did.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Other than Neo Minerva I think that was a really great chapter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Comic posted:

Other than Neo Minerva I think that was a really great chapter.

Yeah, you'd think you'd at least get a cool demon name instead of a lovely modifier for your old one.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Natsu! Gate closed!! ... :haw:

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Gyges posted:

Yeah, you'd think you'd at least get a cool demon name instead of a lovely modifier for your old one.

:v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I do like that for once the solution to "magic doesn't work" wasn't "magic harder".

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I started reading this again because I'm weak and yeah I've been pleasantly surprised, the last few chapters have been really good. Could have done without the Wendy death fakeout, but she just fought a big tentacle monster and the death fakeout was the most objectionable thing that happened so I think Mashima did really well here.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I enjoyed Natsu using the rock way more than I expected.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

Yeah. I love Natsu punching with fire but this was pretty nice. Lucy being useful for once was great too.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Oh my god. "Charle and fish." Happy is the cutest.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That chapter was a good reminder of why Lucy is one of my favorite characters. In a series full of meatheads who solve things by punching/icing/swording harder, she is actually the smart one and wins by figuring things out (or Lucy kicking), and despite not being particularly strong and knowing it, she is always right on the front lines. She's basically a mix of Usopp, Nami, and Robin.

Unfortunately it was also a reminder of what her primary purpose is most of the time.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Kuroyama posted:

That was a great spread.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Where's that one chick with the Ultra Fairy Magic and poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Thoren posted:

Where's that one chick with the Ultra Fairy Magic and poo poo.

Cana? Mavis? Those are the only two with Fairy magic and Mavis is a ghost that only Fairy tail's members can see while Cana is fighting in the battle after she saved fairy tail from Elfman.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cana? Mavis? Those are the only two with Fairy magic

Well Makarov can use Fairy Law but he's a dude so I guess you're still technically correct.

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Laxus and Purehito (well kinda) can use fairy law too

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I know but they are not chicks which is why I did not mention them.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I completely forgot that Hades was a beast who was killed only by Zeref.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
New Chapter

Oh no! A smug looking bad guy! Our heroes are in for it now! Hopefully he says something better than IMPOSSIBLE!!! when Natsu fire punches him into next week.

One thing I've always liked about FT is that it's fast paced. Pretty great they go from *character learns about secret to Demon's immortality* to *character blows up secret to immortality* in a few pages. FT is always moving, and that's really refreshing in a sometimes drawn out genre.

TNG fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 11, 2014

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Is that a third Gellal?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Heroes learn the secret of the enemy immortality and destroy it in a few pages, followed immediately by a Jojo joke. Fairy Tail :allears:

Mildly curious about the two bosses here. Bunny chick says that they revive in there due to their contract with the Demon King, but said Demon King is still subordinate to Master End, who I guess actually IS the book of Zeref. Not that any of this will matter because Natsu will just punch them all but hey.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Books burn pretty nicely, I think.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Two new chapters

I kind of want to see what the demon Mira's demonic arm came from, or at least for that arm to show up again. Also that cube became a demonic airship, can't say I expected that. Looks cool though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I look forward to Lucy finally getting to do something cool on her own. And by do something cool on her own I of course mean immediately find soeone else and then they do everything, because Lucy is never allowed to do something cool on her own :(. Best we can hope for is that the other person will at least be Juvia or Kana,the other two chronically neglected prominent characters.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chumbler posted:

I look forward to Lucy finally getting to do something cool on her own. And by do something cool on her own I of course mean immediately find soeone else and then they do everything, because Lucy is never allowed to do something cool on her own :(. Best we can hope for is that the other person will at least be Juvia or Kana,the other two chronically neglected prominent characters.

Kana already had her moment this arc, though.

And Lucy can never do something cool on her own, because her power is specifically summoning other people to do things for her. Interpreting "on her own" in the broader sense you probably meant, she can summon Cancer to cut everyone loose, I suppose.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Kana already had her moment this arc, though.

And Lucy can never do something cool on her own, because her power is specifically summoning other people to do things for her. Interpreting "on her own" in the broader sense you probably meant, she can summon Cancer to cut everyone loose, I suppose.

Given Lucy's power set, she's more likely to save the day through gratuitous fan service.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For some reason I just see this chapter as this arc is slowly turning into a parody of Bleach. Or always was. You got your other faction dudes, you had the dude possessing a bunch of dudes and this dude is totally the Fairy Tail Aizen. I'm not even sure he was talking, or was Silver talking for him while he was just exuding the maximum potential amount of smug in most of those scenes?

The art on the cube transformed was really awesome. Less so on the bleeding zoomed in tits shot.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I had to go back and check to figure out who the person on the bottom middle panel of page 22 was. Turns out I completely missed the detail that Kyouka's helmet was breaking apart. :downs:

I wonder if Silver and Keith [Skeleton Guy]'s total lack of concern about what happens to Grey means Silver isn't Future Grey. That would be nice.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Chapter 383:

Lucy actually seems to be doing pretty well by herself! How many Chapters do you give her until she finds a way to get everyone out of Alegria so they can finish her fights for her? :v:

I wish she were fighting Minerva. Forget a rematch with Erza, Lucy needs to whip her in the faaaace

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it too much to hope that summoning three spirits means Lucy will transcend her limits as a proper shounen hero does and join Usopp in godhood?

(Deep down I know it is. She's probably just going to transcend her clothes and she somehow be rescued by Natsu for no apparent reason :(.)

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
So why was the chapter called "Surfer Lucy?"

And how long until Silver has his face turn?

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Because she spent the whole time surfing on a plank of wood as did everyone else. They're on rushing water in the guts of the cube demon thing.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Tiramisu posted:

Because she spent the whole time surfing on a plank of wood as did everyone else. They're on rushing water in the guts of the cube demon thing.

And now I've learned a lesson about reading manga chapters on my phone and not rereading them on computer if I have a question about something, as I can now make out those details. Thank you!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Why does this manga of all manga actually keep trying to do the thing where they try to imply a main character is going to die from fighting too hard? You know Lucy isn't going to die from summoning too much poo poo at once; a marquee character -actually- dying would be too much like plot development.

Just let her be legitimately badass for once and shock the regular readers since she didn't job out on a major fight.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
If they don't at least pretend there's risk, nothing will be badass.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Comic posted:

If they don't at least pretend there's risk, nothing will be badass.

Onepunch Man begs to differ.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

chumbler posted:

Onepunch Man begs to differ.

That's because ONE is a genius and wrote a thing about the struggle of an omnipotent man coming to terms with his place in a lovely world :colbert:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Onepunch Man is the exception that proves every single rule shonen writers use wrong.

But I do agree, it just feels dumb. This thing she is doing! She can't do it! Oh no she is doing it! Oh, she is doing it. I see. Gate of the Snoregasm, I choose you.

It isn't even visually represented that well. She already looks chewed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New chapter and Lucy permanently loses Aquarius in order to summon the Spirit King to save the day. Also Jackel blew up Lamy's head. It was quite a impressive chapter.

• Locked thread