Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After going through early 90s WCW PPVs, I saw lots of Johnny B Badd matches, which made me realize that I don't remember anything about Mero in WWF except that he had Sable with him. Did he have any good matches in the WWF?

EDIT: Also I read that Mero quit WCW after...SuperBrawl 96? For something to do with what they had him doing with DDP's wife. What was the deal there?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

His KOTR '96 match with Austin is very good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm trying to think, and I can't, but has Cena (or HHH, Austin, any of the other WWE "The Guy"s) done something as stupidly, ridiculously mean and self-serving as part of the show, and treated as a face as Hogan at Mania 9 scooping up Bret and Yoko's heat and title and keeping it for himself? I mean Cena has the whole "Hey, good job Rey, you won a title tournament to become new WWE champ now that Punk is gone. Fight me in your second match tonight so I can get it back", but that wasn't at the end of Mania, and also there was a least a rest break there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The entirety of the Edge/Kane WHC feud at the tail end of 2010. Edge kidnapped Paul Bearer for a month, smacked him around, rubbed pizza on his face, and psychologically tortured Kane by wheeling a series of Paul Bearer-shaped dummies down flights of arena stairs. Edge's reasoning was "You've done poo poo like this for years" but you know, he was a heel the whole time. Pretty much the only person who hated what Edge was doing was heel-turned Michael Cole.

Unrelated: Has anyone ever found it odd that they continue ringing the bell after a DQ? Like a person uninvolved in the match who ran out from the back to waffle some dude with a chair is going to say "Oh, this was a match? And now it's over? Sorry, my bad."

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 4, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

Unrelated: Has anyone ever found it odd that they continue ringing the bell after a DQ? Like a person uninvolved in the match who ran out from the back to waffle some dude with a chair is going to say "Oh, this was a match? And now it's over? Sorry, my bad."

I always thought it was like a judge pounding their gavel to restore order in a courtroom

Never works, but at least they try, damnit!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

sticklefifer posted:

Nah, depends on why the interference happened. If it was just to screw someone, they might go "match over? K, I'm out."

Not that anyone does nuanced poo poo like that anymore.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who was the wrestler who lit someone's luggage on fire as a "rib"?

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Piper said he was rooting for Big Show to win the battle royale because Andre knew Show and liked him. This is a drunken fabrication, correct?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It was probably Piper, being drunk, flashing back to when Big Show was called The Giant, and I think WCW called him Andre's son or something like that, or perhaps implied it? Big Show was in his early 20s when Andre died, so it's theoretically possible the two may have interacted at some point, but I doubt it.

According to Wikipedia, Big Show's favorite wrestler growing up was Arn Anderson, and apparently Big Show owes his wrestling career to meeting Danny Bonaduce who introduced him to Hogan, but who knows how true that is.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 4, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Piper said he was rooting for Big Show to win the battle royale because Andre knew Show and liked him. This is a drunken fabrication, correct?

Andre died before Big Show started training so it is doubtful they ever met.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shima Honnou posted:

It was probably Piper, being drunk, flashing back to when Big Show was called The Giant, and I think WCW called him Andre's son or something like that, or perhaps implied it? Big Show was in his early 20s when Andre died, so it's theoretically possible the two may have interacted at some point, but I doubt it.

When Big Show debuted they called him the son of Andre and he wrestled in the black single-strap singlet.

I also learned that Pat Patterson got his and Kurrgan's audition tapes mixed up which is how he ended up with WCW because Kurrgan was kind of not very good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shima Honnou posted:

According to Wikipedia, Big Show's favorite wrestler growing up was Arn Anderson, and apparently Big Show owes his wrestling career to meeting Danny Bonaduce who introduced him to Hogan, but who knows how true that is.

Big Show tells a great story about saving up his money to go see Arn wrestle only to discover the ticket prices had gone up, but still getting to spot Arn arriving at his hotel and being convinced that Arn was the biggest man in the world. When he met him in real life as a professional wrestler he had to excuse himself for a moment to go outside because he thought he was going to faint from fanboyism :3:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Shima Honnou posted:

When The Giant showed up on the beach he tossed Hogan a T-shirt (or the black singlet and Hogan clutches it and in shock goes, "I... I know what this is brother.... this... this is Andre's dude" or something to that effect.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COl-Jnwsglo&feature=player_detailpage#t=46
In this the announcer actually calls The Giant the son of Andre

I remember it clearly as me and my dad sat in the hospital with my brother who was in traction.

This is also the same time my hate for the Atlanta Braves started because their games would always preempt the end of WCW Saturday night.

Jerusalem posted:

When he met him in real life as a professional wrestler he had to excuse himself for a moment to go outside because he thought he was going to faint from fanboyism :3:

This is why I love Paul Wight, he's such a huge wrestling fan and if stories are true is a genuinely sweet dude. He also supposedly holds the title as the greatest pro-wrestler impersonator that ever walked the earth. You can't pull that off unless you watched a shitload of wrestling.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 4, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Charlie Haas is better, and don't you forget it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just watching some old WCW, and Little Naitch is rocking some Rich Flair style helmet hair. Has Flair ever commented on Charles Robinson and his obvious adulation of Flair?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

Charlie Haas is better, and don't you forget it.
Nobody can touch Jason Sensation.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Just watching some old WCW, and Little Naitch is rocking some Rich Flair style helmet hair. Has Flair ever commented on Charles Robinson and his obvious adulation of Flair?
He was "Lil' Naitch in a stable with Flair in '99.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They did an entire angle together where he got the name Lil' Naitch stemming from that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There you go, shows what I know about WCW!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

sticklefifer posted:

The entirety of the Edge/Kane WHC feud at the tail end of 2010. Edge kidnapped Paul Bearer for a month, smacked him around, rubbed pizza on his face, and psychologically tortured Kane by wheeling a series of Paul Bearer-shaped dummies down flights of arena stairs. Edge's reasoning was "You've done poo poo like this for years" but you know, he was a heel the whole time. Pretty much the only person who hated what Edge was doing was heel-turned Michael Cole.

That wasn't Edge being a self-serving dick, though, that was an angle. They were playing up the idea that Edge didn't think he could take Kane out if he was at his best, so he was loving with him via mind games to get him off balance and so he could take advantage.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

That wasn't Edge being a self-serving dick, though, that was an angle. They were playing up the idea that Edge didn't think he could take Kane out if he was at his best, so he was loving with him via mind games to get him off balance and so he could take advantage.

Did Hogan specifically request to take the strap at WM9? I wouldn't doubt if he did, but that same token with Edge exists in the WM9 thing too, unless Hogan pulled strings to make that booking decision happen on his own.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Unrelated: Has anyone ever found it odd that they continue ringing the bell after a DQ?

Yes! I've always pictured the camera cutting to poor Mark Yeaton with a look of total shock on his face, screaming "WHY IS NO-ONE COMING?!", clanging away on his bell in bursts of about fifteen strikes a time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

magnum_valentino posted:

Yes! I've always pictured the camera cutting to poor Mark Yeaton with a look of total shock on his face, screaming "WHY IS NO-ONE COMING?!", clanging away on his bell in bursts of about fifteen strikes a time.

Similarly I've always laughed when a guy loses and attacks the winner post-match, and after a certain amount of time the attacker's music starts playing.

I like to imagine the idea is either that maybe the attacker will get confused, think that they won after all and leave..... or that the guy who operates the music wasn't paying attention and assumes that the guy beating up the other guy must have won the match and he's late to play his music.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Did Hogan specifically request to take the strap at WM9? I wouldn't doubt if he did, but that same token with Edge exists in the WM9 thing too, unless Hogan pulled strings to make that booking decision happen on his own.

Pretty sure Hogan wanted the title so his film (Mr Nanny IIRC) could get more publicity. That was definitely a hogan move

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Pretty sure Batista wanted the title so his film (Guardians of The Galaxy IIRC) could get more publicity.

So not a particularly new thing, then.

Jerusalem posted:

Similarly I've always laughed when a guy loses and attacks the winner post-match, and after a certain amount of time the attacker's music starts playing.

I like to imagine the idea is either that maybe the attacker will get confused, think that they won after all and leave..... or that the guy who operates the music wasn't paying attention and assumes that the guy beating up the other guy must have won the match and he's late to play his music.

When someone else's music hits after a match, that means the person/persons with that music are the real and/or new winners of the match.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

When someone else's music hits after a match, that means the person/persons with that music are the real and/or new winners of the match.

The sound monkeys are the biggest tweeners.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Shima Honnou posted:

I heard that this might have been a condition the Caesar's Palace guys put on WWF - anyone know about this?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MassRafTer posted:

They did an entire angle together where he got the name Lil' Naitch stemming from that.

Years ago, I was at a house show in Toronto, and Charles Robinson was in the ring. The crowd would absolutely not stop WOOing the entire time; so he busted out the strut :3:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

I heard that this might have been a condition the Caesar's Palace guys put on WWF - anyone know about this?

No, that was Mania 5 I think where Trump wanted Hogan to win.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Cena beating Rey for the title same night he won it is way worse. He took the title from a beloved face who's way smaller than he is. Bret was incapacitated and Hogan beat a heel who's huge and Japanese. Also, Hogan already wrestled at WM9 whereas Cena was fresh.

Orton said on one of the Network shows that RKOing Punk was his Wrestlemania Moment.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Shima Honnou posted:

It was some kind of confusing deal where Hogan wouldn't put over Bret Hart, so they decided to put the title on Hogan, bounce it back to Yokozuna, and then to Bret. Meltzer talked about it recently, I wish I could remember the specifics.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I know it's ancient wrestling history, but why is the Montreal Screwjob a Thing?

I just read Bret Hart's autobiography, and honestly the dude's own words make it seem inconsequential at worst and genius at best. Dude's refusing to drop the title and putting Vince in a difficult position after the whole "woman's title in the trash on WCW" thing, so Vince comes up with something at short notice that leaves Bret Hart's character looking strong and gets the title safely back on a WWF dude. And then Vince rolls with it and manages to create the whole evil scheming Mr. McMahon persona as well and make everyone a ton of money. End result, nobody's hurt, everyone gets paid. Yay!

It's especially weird when Hart's whole autobiography is full of "I am a consummate professional unlike some assholes and will always do what's asked of me/so there I was, explaining to Vince why I should most definitely not lose or go heel ever" that really makes him sound like a totally weird mark for himself. And then you read the autobiographies of some other wrestlers and THEY all act like it's some kind of gross betrayal. So what's the deal with that, wrasslegoons?

Also, who was the dude who would show up doing squash matches sometimes on early-to-mid 90s WWF? Really buff Asian dude with a coolie hat and writing all over him who would do massively stiff kicks and a ton of handstands and stuff. I remember being terrified of him as a child.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Disgusting Coward posted:

I know it's ancient wrestling history, but why is the Montreal Screwjob a Thing?

This should be in the OP if it isn't already

• Vince McMahon signed and agreed to a contract that paid Bret Hart big money, and stipulated that he could dictate the terms on how he leaves the company

• Vince decided he no longer wanted to pay Bret Hart and told him to go to WCW

• Bret did not want to lose the title to Shawn Michaels in his home country, as a big part of his appeal is his "cult hero" status in Canada. He agreed to lose the title on many different occasions, to Shawn or other opponents

• Vince decided to say gently caress it, lets just do what I want and disregard the entire agreement I made with Bret.

Titles were a bigger deal back then, it's a totally different era. It wasn't quite the useless prop it is today.

Edit: The OP Does link to an older discussion about this, under the Bret Hart section

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

Also, who was the dude who would show up doing squash matches sometimes on early-to-mid 90s WWF? Really buff Asian dude with a coolie hat and writing all over him who would do massively stiff kicks and a ton of handstands and stuff. I remember being terrified of him as a child.

That was Hakushi, and yes he was scary and awesome.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Edit: gently caress, beaten.

WWF never gave an Asian a gimmick that wasn't at least a little racist, but ironically he sort of is a pilgrim; supposedly he does a lot of charity work.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 4, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DC, if you can find the documentary 'Survival of the Hitman' (it's on youtube), check that out. There's some interesting perspectives covered there and you can also have the bonus of seeing what a shitlord Bruce Hart is.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Interestingly, Hakushi's theme was originally created to be the "opposite of the Undertaker"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KcXiqI16vo

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm trying to think, and I can't, but has Cena (or HHH, Austin, any of the other WWE "The Guy"s) done something as stupidly, ridiculously mean and self-serving as part of the show, and treated as a face as Hogan at Mania 9 scooping up Bret and Yoko's heat and title and keeping it for himself? I mean Cena has the whole "Hey, good job Rey, you won a title tournament to become new WWE champ now that Punk is gone. Fight me in your second match tonight so I can get it back", but that wasn't at the end of Mania, and also there was a least a rest break there.

No, but Hogan himself has, on several occasions. Royal Rumbles where he's accidentally and/or on purpose eliminated his friends Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior and Tugboat. With the crowning moment being him dragging Sid over the top rope with some help from Flair after Hulk "why am I a face again?" Hogan had already been eliminated. By the way, with both Macho and warrior, Ventura's commentary when he pulls that crap is a thing of beauty.

To go back to first PPVs, mine was Survivor Series 1990. My original recollection has gaps in it, for example, I didn't remember Santana making it to the main event, but a few things did stand out. Leading up to the PPV, I kept thinking for the Million Dollar Team's mystery partner "please be Taker, please be Taker" and got my wish. Oh, and as a kid, I was just about as thrilled with the Gooker reveal as an adult would have been.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Had Taker already debuted before his appearance at that Survivor Series? I thought him being the mystery partner was his first.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

DC, if you can find the documentary 'Survival of the Hitman' (it's on youtube), check that out. There's some interesting perspectives covered there and you can also have the bonus of seeing what a shitlord Bruce Hart is.

I've never seen that one, but there was another documentary made at the time the Scrwejob occured called Wresling With Shadows that can be streamed legally from the Canadian Film Board.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/hitman_hart_wrestling_with_shadows/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thauros posted:

I've never seen that one, but there was another documentary made at the time the Scrwejob occured called Wresling With Shadows that can be streamed legally from the Canadian Film Board.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/hitman_hart_wrestling_with_shadows/

Check out Survival too. I believe it ends on Bret's return to WWE so the scope is a little bit bigger than the ones that are just Montreal-centric. It's a bit more of a complete story arc, IMO.