Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't think he'll ever rewrite that arc without the cousin love/the big villain's plot to rape Asuna though so it's probably best to give up that dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Namtab posted:

I don't think he'll ever rewrite that arc without the cousin love/the big villain's plot to rape Asuna though so it's probably best to give up that dream.

The Main Villian's plot was to mind wipe Asuna and marry into her family for the wealth that Asuna's family has. Also Testing technology which can literally wipe and rewrite someone's mind. Which is pretty useful for nefarious deeds(such as facilitating rape).

The counsin's love thing was dumb and is never brought up again, and was pretty much dropped after She finds out who Kirito is. I wouldn't be surprised that if he were to rewrite Fairy Dance he would omit it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dexo posted:

The counsin's love thing was dumb and is never brought up again, and was pretty much dropped after She finds out who Kirito is. I wouldn't be surprised that if he were to rewrite Fairy Dance he would omit it.
He could probably still write it as "Leafa develops a crush on Avatar-Kirito" but drop the "Suguha likes Real-Kirito in a woman/man way" angle and it wouldn't change the plot much while getting rid of the actual problem.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Paracelsus posted:

He could probably still write it as "Leafa develops a crush on Avatar-Kirito" but drop the "Suguha likes Real-Kirito in a woman/man way" angle and it wouldn't change the plot much while getting rid of the actual problem.

Theoretically that could work even better, since it still works as a catalyst for the FAMILIAL relationship development those two get in that season. They could still drop it altogether, though, and just have Avatar Kirito and her get close in a non-romantic way and get the same result.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

XboxPants posted:

Theoretically that could work even better, since it still works as a catalyst for the FAMILIAL relationship development those two get in that season. They could still drop it altogether, though, and just have Avatar Kirito and her get close in a non-romantic way and get the same result.
If they don't have the avatar-crush, then you don't get the same hurt feelings that led to the Leafa/Kirito fight. You'd have to change things in the in-Elfheim portions rather a lot, whereas with just dropping the real world crush he could probably just cut out the flashbacks and rewrite a few of Suguha and Kirito's scenes.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 2, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I can agree with that because

XboxPants posted:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Siblings, separated by years of being held hostage in a virtual world finally reconnect with one another through the medium of the virtual world and shared common interest.

Yeah, that'd work.

I'll just keep telling myself that was what really happened when GGO comes out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mordaedil posted:

Siblings, separated by years of being held hostage in a virtual world finally reconnect with one another through the medium of the virtual world and shared common interest.

Yeah, that'd work.

I'll just keep telling myself that was what really happened when GGO comes out.

Frankly I think that realizing how easy it would have been for the story to be so much better makes it seem even worse by comparison. That's the main reason I dislike it, and as mentioned there are a lot of reasons to dislike it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Clarste posted:

Frankly I think that realizing how easy it would have been for the story to be so much better makes it seem even worse by comparison. That's the main reason I dislike it, and as mentioned there are a lot of reasons to dislike it.

You are probably also not like 15-16 years old.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

You are probably also not like 15-16 years old.

I'm fairly certain most 15-16 year olds with a sibling would be kinda uncomfortable with the implications of the writing.

Was the writer a lonely child, because that seems to be the most common trend I've found with the people writing these sibling love relationship romances.

Doesn't help that none of them really act like real brothers would. I think actually Ichigo from Bleach is one of the few sibling characters I've seen written right in anime.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I'm fairly certain most 15-16 year olds with a sibling would be kinda uncomfortable with the implications of the writing.

Was the writer a lonely child, because that seems to be the most common trend I've found with the people writing these sibling love relationship romances.

Doesn't help that none of them really act like real brothers would. I think actually Ichigo from Bleach is one of the few sibling characters I've seen written right in anime.

I found it pretty hilarious that the writer of Log Horizon was asked about what his sister thinks about it and went "I don't think she cares at all". As others have said in the SAO thread (I think), most of Japanese families have only a single child. Some of them become Anime writers and try to write sibling relations without ever having experienced them or even just observed them. Couple that with the widespread inability of nerds to comprehend any relationship between men and women that isn't fundamentally sexual in nature, and you get incest plots.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Funnily enough, a very realistic depiction of sibling relationships is in No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!. The girl in that one has a younger brother who's popular and into soccer, and she's just this sort of maladjusted :tvtropes: freak. He is, quite suitably, disgusted by her antics.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Though it's not the focus of the series, the sibling relationship between the main older sister/younger brother duo in Keroro Gunso is shown in a pretty realistic and non-gross way. But I have no idea if Sgt. Frog, Funimation's gag dub, changed that.

SAO introducing the sibling romance thing made me quit the series after the first episode of the second arc. I went into Log Horizon afraid of rampant grossness and being disappointed yet again, but it's been very refreshing and fun to watch. The discussion comparing the power fantasies Kirito and Shiroe each represent is interesting. I'm 100% okay with the behind-the-scenes manipulator style Shiroe has going on, because it's more fun for me to watch than Kirito being a boring self-insert Gary Stu who doesn't seem to have any real personal growth. Watching some other characters grow in Log Horizon, like Minori, was great too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
More people should watch Busou Renkin. The MC and his sister are very simpatico, but there is no attraction involved.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

More people should watch Busou Renkin. The MC and his sister are very simpatico, but there is no attraction involved.

More people should read Buso Renkin because it has the best female in any shonen manga I've read. The Anime cut out her fights from the second half of the manga. But yeah still awesome.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It also has one of the few actually enjoyable and funny main character leads for a shonen piece that I've read in forever.

Doesn't hurt that it was written by the same guy who write Rurouni Kenshin. I actually picked up the manga solely on that premise.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Also, it's remarkably self-aware of shonen battle manga cliches and fun as well!

But this is getting wildly off-topic isn't it? :haw:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's going on there, are they just making a joke about running away or something? Slowest person gets eaten by the lion, or something?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

What's going on there, are they just making a joke about running away or something? Slowest person gets eaten by the lion, or something?

Using flashstepping to appear behind the opponent to get a back attack and instantly kill the opponent.

They are trying to one-up the other. Kinda loses context without seeing the rest of their interactions, but it is kinda out of character for that more serious-looking guy.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Speaking of character interactions being realistic, I really liked how pretty much every character in Log Horizon was a poorly socialized awkward nerd who'd be playing a MMO at launch. I got to watch each episode 2-3 times, so there's all these little hints about it for most of the characters.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Baron Snow posted:

Speaking of character interactions being realistic, I really liked how pretty much every character in Log Horizon was a poorly socialized awkward nerd who'd be playing a MMO at launch. I got to watch each episode 2-3 times, so there's all these little hints about it for most of the characters.

Heck, the entire trouble with Rise of the Goblin King was that they had to hide being socially awkward while negotiating with the nobles. If they know adventurers were so easy to manipulate Akiba is doomed.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Burned through this anime over the course of 3 days or so. Wow. I really enjoyed it. 10/10 would watch (and probably will) again. Can't wait for Season 2!

What anime is similar? I really enjoyed the political/economic/social aspect of it, as well as the action scenes. The MMO bits in it were interesting too but they didn't make the anime so good.

There's Accel World, which this thread says is pretty good. Maoyuu somethingsomething, which is by the same author and the thread seems to favor as well due to its similarities. There's Spice and Wolf, I suppose, which I never watched too much of but may get back into it sometime. Anything else?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Someone said that Accel World is good? Don't fall for their lies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Someone said that Accel World is good? Don't fall for their lies.

Okay, nevermind then. Do you have recommendations?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Artificer posted:

Okay, nevermind then. Do you have recommendations?

Maoyuu is pretty bad, the source material is pretty good but you can tell that it's an earlier work than Log Horizon, it's rougher around the edges and just not as good in general. The anime version is a pretty bad adaptation of that, so I can't really recommend it.

Spice and Wolf is really good. It puts more focus on the romance side of the story than Log Horizon but that's ok because it's a pretty drat good romance. There are still plenty of economics based shenanigans so it does have what you're looking for there.

I can't really think of anything else, sorry. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maoyuu is pretty bad, the source material is pretty good but you can tell that it's an earlier work than Log Horizon, it's rougher around the edges and just not as good in general. The anime version is a pretty bad adaptation of that, so I can't really recommend it.

Spice and Wolf is really good. It puts more focus on the romance side of the story than Log Horizon but that's ok because it's a pretty drat good romance. There are still plenty of economics based shenanigans so it does have what you're looking for there.

I can't really think of anything else, sorry. :(

So you might recommend the manga but not the anime for Maoyuu then? What makes the anime bad, in your opinion?

I'll pick up Spice and Wolf again sometime, then.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Spice and Wolf is pretty much the gold standard of the fantasy economics anime subgenre.
I don't consider Maoyuu to be really worse then Log Horizon, unless you really care about anime production values.
If you also like manga there is of course Vinland.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Artificer posted:

What makes the anime bad, in your opinion?

Lets see. Lacking in content, lacking in animation and the art style they went with is just super bland.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think what hurt Maoyuu the most is that it is a multi season series compressed into way too little space, and rushed to the point where you wonder if they used stock characters for some important side-characters just because they couldn't be made relevant enough.

Kind of a shame.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Artificer posted:

So you might recommend the manga but not the anime for Maoyuu then?
Yes, it's much better and considerably farther along.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Some last Q and A from Touno Mamare, courtesy of 4Chan:

Touno Mamare posted:

Mamare, thank you for everything that you've written. I love all of it. :D
Thank you! thank you!

quote:

grate nyanderful
grate nyanderful!

quote:

Do you know when the soundtrack from the anime will be released, if at all?
There's some planning in progress at the moment.
Mamare also wants the Yasuharu Takanashi's (composer) soundtrack, so I will be rooting for it.

quote:

Congratulations on the second season Mamare-sensei
Two second season is the result of the support of all of you.

quote:

Tell me more about Giraffe-tan, Sensei. I must know all.
She is a creation of the animation staff. She is a cute Giraffe-tan, isn't she?

quote:

We're getting an Akatsuki nendoroid right?
Mamare also wants it, but that item has not come out yet.

quote:

Do you wear glasses? And if so, how do you adjust them?
Yes, I wear glasses.
I adjust it using Henrietta's style.

quote:

Do you have a release planned for the TRPG?
First Replay is on March 31st.
Rulebook is around April 21st.
Centered on Yamoto (japanese) server.

quote:

Can you negotiate with intelligent demihumans like The Goblin King?
Eventually it may be possible in the distant future.
But it's not an important theme right now.

quote:

I want to ask, who is your favorite character pairing?
The ones I like at the moment are Isuzu and Rundelhous.

quote:

Thanks for writing Log Horizon, I loved it, (and the anime too, but it's toned down a bit because NHK, but I don't care...)
Every choice/decision made has its good and bad sides.
I feel that for NHK as well as the Anime Staff, every effort is made for obtaining the most results from these decisions.

quote:

When did NHK decide to green lit it and how much did crunchyroll/international audiences influence the decision?
For the public broadcasting NHK, the domestic viewers in Japan is obviously the most important
But I think everyone's support also has a great influence.

quote:

Do you have any idea on when the results of the new server classes you asked people to make will come out?
About server classes, follow-up possibly as soon as tonight.

quote:

I would like to ask, what will S2 cover? Will it be 25 episodes? Will it include contents from West Wind Brigade and HoneyMoon Logs manga?
Many things have not been decided yet.
But I'm thinking of ways to please everyone just like in S1.

quote:

Will you be more involved in this next season? Do you know how long it will be?
I am concerned of course. I'm writing every day.
[Raid] battle, tactics, growth!

quote:

I wish to marry Nureha.
As long as she could get out of the dark past experience
I think she will become [your] wife is pretty great.
And a :3: thing when asked about his sister.

quote:

Hug your imouto tell her you love her report back what happened.
Touno's sister does not hug Touno. Touno does not hug her either.
Occasionally she kicks me, and rarely she will make meals for me.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Seems like a pretty standard sister-brother relationship.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Artificer posted:

Seems like a pretty standard sister-brother relationship.

Which, for anime, is better than could be expected.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mordaedil posted:

I think what hurt Maoyuu the most is that it is a multi season series compressed into way too little space, and rushed to the point where you wonder if they used stock characters for some important side-characters just because they couldn't be made relevant enough.

Kind of a shame.

This. It was just waaaay too rushed and skipped a lot of important stuff. At times it almost feels like watching someone tell you about something they watched or read instead of a show in and of itself.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Artificer posted:

I'll pick up Spice and Wolf again sometime, then.

If you like Sexy Wolf Girls or Economic Shenanigans, you'll love S&W. I don't know what either of those things have in common, except Anime.

For the "trapped in an online world" part, Accel World is garbage harem bullshit and goons have bad taste. Sword Art Online is ok if you can look past the main character being a Gary Stu. Or just watch .Hack//Sign. Pacing is garbage but what does it matter when you have the power of skip forward.

I don't know any other good things to watch remotely related to Log Horizon or Spice and Wolf besides those.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

If I watch SAO, judging from everything I heard it is basically watch Season 1 and then pretend Season 2 never existed. :v:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

The second half of Season 2 is ok. Season 2 slowly worsens on a per-episode basis until it approaches actual anime porn for an episode complete with tentacles vs. the heroine. Then it slowly tries to recover and does a decent job, all things considered.

I couldn't believe that episode. Just pure :gonk: growing larger by the minute. You wouldn't miss much skipping season 2 entirely, honestly.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

The second half of Season 2 is ok. Season 2 slowly worsens on a per-episode basis until it approaches actual anime porn for an episode complete with tentacles vs. the heroine. Then it slowly tries to recover and does a decent job, all things considered.

I couldn't believe that episode. Just pure :gonk: growing larger by the minute. You wouldn't miss much skipping SAO entirely, honestly.

Fixed that for you. Unless you really want to subject yourself to a show that basically goes "Who wants to suck Kirito-san's dick" it's really not worth watching.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sword Art Online is insanely bad, and I would not recommend it to anyone who wants something like Log Horizon because outside of the setting they're not really alike at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

I thought Accel World was worse. I don't know why, because I recognize they have the exact same plot and protagonist.

• Locked thread