Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The OVAs are alright if you consider them a standalone series, but as a Jojo adaption, they're not good.

That makes them bad by definition. They convey absolutely nothing about what makes Jojo's a great series as opposed to a generic musclebound dudes punching things show, with the exception of only one scene (and it would take a miracle to gently caress that scene up anyways.)

I strongly advise not watching them no matter how impatient you are; you'll enjoy part 3 more going in blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That makes them bad by definition. They convey absolutely nothing about what makes Jojo's a great series as opposed to a generic musclebound dudes punching things show, with the exception of only one scene (and it would take a miracle to gently caress that scene up anyways.)

I strongly advise not watching them no matter how impatient you are; you'll enjoy part 3 more going in blind.

Yeah you're right. The only thing they have above the new series is better animation, but there's no flash or style at all.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's airing right now. The animation quality is insane thus far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zorak posted:

It's airing right now. The animation quality is insane thus far.

Ahhhhhhhh, it's killing me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
There's no opening in episode 1 just like with the first part, as a heads up.

e: No ending theme either.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 4, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can you watch the simulcast without a crunchyroll sub?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Can you watch the simulcast without a crunchyroll sub?

It's not exactly a simulcast; there's an hour delay between the Japanese and US airing. It's fairly close though.

And no, you do need a subscription to watch the Crunchyroll subtitled stream. You can get a free 14 day trial by signing up though, and they give away additional trials away like candy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
So is the ED still Roundabout?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

So is the ED still Roundabout?

There was no opening or ending in episode 1. Who knows, probably not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dammit, I missed it? I thought this was on at 12:30PM :smith:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

John Cena posted:

Dammit, I missed it? I thought this was on at 12:30PM :smith:

It's live tv airing was 40 minutes ago, and it gets simulcast on CR in 20 minutes. There's still time!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hace posted:

It's live tv airing was 40 minutes ago, and it gets simulcast on CR in 20 minutes. There's still time!

Does it get subtitles?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Does it get subtitles?

On CR? Yes.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Four chapters in one episode, meaning if they (somehow) keep that pace it would take about 37 episodes to cover everything

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i'm so hype right now.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
5 minutes!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/shoko55mmts/status/452112489459642369

I'm not sure what's up with Jojo's but apparently Shōko Nakagawa (of Pokemon Sunday/Smash/Get TV fame) is a fan.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
The first 8 episodes of Season 1 appear to be going live at the same time as the first episode of Stardust, which is nice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Everyone in Japan is a fan and we all get to see it NOW.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Is the episode just streaming once, or will it be available to stream from then on with a crunchy subscription?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Episode 1 is live

Additionally, Part 1 is now live on Crunchyroll. They're using the Bluray raws and still have Roundabout in. The subtitles are the official ones from the Blurays. e: Part 2 is available next week.

Captain_Indigo posted:

Is the episode just streaming once, or will it be available to stream from then on with a crunchy subscription?

Crunchyroll works like Netflix does in that if you have the service, you can watch it whenever at whatever video resolution. It differs in that without an account, you can watch anything on a week delay at the lowest video quality.

This countdown was just the countdown until the first episode being available.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain_Indigo posted:

It's just being uploaded. Crunchy subscribers get exclusive access for a week, and after a week, the episode becomes free to stream.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This is loving great. The animation is loving great. The voices are great. Also STAT PAGES.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The manga floating into Jotaro's hands made me laugh way more than it should've, this is already fantastic. Everything about this adaptation is amazing and I am Shoko Nakagawa right now.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/shoko55mmts/status/452112489459642369

I'm not sure what's up with Jojo's but apparently Shōko Nakagawa (of Pokemon Sunday/Smash/Get TV fame) is a fan.

Shokotan is a huge jojo fan.

You can see her fangirling when she meets Araki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SPFbQq-jNg

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hace posted:

Also STAT PAGES.

That's my favorite goofy detail that's being included I think. The stat pages :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress, that was amazing, also drat at the bump in animation quality, Parts 1 and 2 (and Neptuina :v:) must have made them a shitload of money.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Really loved the first ep, i could have swore we saw Roundabout in the first episode, even if we didnt get an OP, last season. I was really hoping to at least hear one of the songs :<

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
This was really loving good especially considering i just finished part 3 of the manga a few weeks ago. I take it it'll be next week when we start getting opening/endings since they had a lot to cover this week?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that was the greatest.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Smornstein posted:

This was really loving good especially considering i just finished part 3 of the manga a few weeks ago. I take it it'll be next week when we start getting opening/endings since they had a lot to cover this week?

Official Twitter said to look forward to the OP next week. So yes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was loving fantastic.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Once again, every scene with Joseph is pure gold. :allears:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fun Fact for people who didnt read the manga: You can see hermit purple for a split second during the Part 2 OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkPqh0z-_Y

It flashes by at 12 seconds

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Seeing Joseph as a racist old dude was probably one of the funniest parts of part 2 for me, and I hope there will be more grandpa moments from him in the future

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Saagonsa posted:

Seeing Joseph as a racist old dude was probably one of the funniest parts of part 2 for me, and I hope there will be more grandpa moments from him in the future

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Holy poo poo, that animation quality. I can only begin to guess how much that cost compared to an average anime episode. They REALLY believe that this is going to sell a ton.

Some nice little details that the animators snuck in:
The issue of Shounen Jump that Jotaro is reading has Baoh on the cover and three of the occult books in his cell are written by "Isaac Houston", "James Houdini" and ... "W. Shatner" :v:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I loved the periodic reminders that the real world was going on while Jotaro, Joseph and Advol were having hot blooded exposition conversations from the cops to the scared waiter.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Did a little digging in the catalogue of Part 1 to see what kind of changes they made. So far the biggest one I noticed was Bruford being changed to Blueford. Acceptable. Most importantly, Speedwagon gets to keep his name, and that's really all that matters to me.
e: this may be old news to other people, but it's all new to me so I figured it was worth sharing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Steak Justice posted:

Did a little digging in the catalogue of Part 1 to see what kind of changes they made. So far the biggest one I noticed was Bruford being changed to Blueford. Acceptable. Most importantly, Speedwagon gets to keep his name, and that's really all that matters to me.
e: this may be old news to other people, but it's all new to me so I figured it was worth sharing.

Also by some miracle they use Ripple instead of hamon.

• Locked thread