Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ecbert is awesome.

Edit: Why do they show the "big reveal" of the next segment before every commercial break?

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I forgot this whole time period is centuries after the roman empire.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Ecbert going all enlightened there. Refreshing take on medieval king-ness.

Also an interesting interpretation; Pagan Rome ruled the world, then Christianity, then no more world ruling...so hey Athelstan,

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Erghh posted:

Also an interesting interpretation; Pagan Rome ruled the world, then Christianity, then no more world ruling...so hey Athelstan,

That was a popular if not entirely encouraged theory on why western Rome fell for a long time, so Ecbert wasn't exactly alone in this idea.

EDIT: What, does he think one of those books has a "How to rule the world" step-by-step guide in it?

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

He brought that loving skull with him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ragnar's gonna kill some bitches and take their ships.

DarklyDreaming posted:

EDIT: What, does he think one of those books has a "How to rule the world" step-by-step guide in it?
Caesar's secret guide to ruling the world. For Roman Eyes Only.

Edit:
Loki can't keep a secret.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It is impossible to be better than Floki

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

hahahahaha at Loki just straight admitting he can't keep a secret

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
"Can you keep a secret?"

:munch: No

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wonder how much blood does come out of a stabbed eye...

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

That Jarl has/had only 1 randomly firing neuron in his thick skull. It's the only explanation for his behavior

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
LOL

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

holy poo poo :stare:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

"He just wouldn't stop screaming, so I had to cut his head off, obviously!"

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

DarklyDreaming posted:

That was a popular if not entirely encouraged theory on why western Rome fell for a long time, so Ecbert

wasn't exactly alone in this idea.

This show is going to make me recover some old history courses. I don't think I even finished "How the Irish Saved Civilization."

PS; Well that was convenient.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So has Ragnar been reading on Vlad Tepis while Ecbert is reading up on Caesar?

Vikings: There sure are a lot of hallucinations in this show

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 4, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Borg might be figuring out that the prophet meant "Blood eagle"

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Isnt Bjorns girl in that barn too? With the servants..

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

No More Heroes posted:

Maybe she'll stay quiet so she'll be ok.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

She's in Bjorn's crib

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ok she got saved by his ding dong

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
At least Rollo is semi-civilized in his revenge killing.

Edit: Hope Horik is taking notes on not loving with Ragnar.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Not that I read too much into promos for shows, but when they say "most shocking" and it comes a few weeks after getting to watch a freaking crucifixion...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:black101: Blood eagle

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

After that History Channel better allow it to be brutally depicted next week

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Brennan posted:

After that History Channel better allow it to be brutally depicted next week

They'll do it as a sneak peak during a commercial break :cripes:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Sash! posted:

It is impossible to be better than Floki

Eh, that's easy. Just be Lagertha.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the friendzone in ancient times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blYcMWikCkw

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gyges posted:

So, is everyone ... just completely batshit?

Yes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Floki is the only normal sane person in the show

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

Floki is the only normal sane person in the show

That's saying something there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Floki is more frightening in a way because you don't know what is going to do next. Dude would be all "hey look a puppy :haw:" then turn around and headbutt a guy in the face. Or maybe he'd be "this boat ride is fun :)" and later cut off someone's arm then slap the guy in the face with his own hand and laugh about it.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
So I googled blood eagle:gonk: Do not gently caress with Ragnar.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Erghh posted:

Yup, Ecbert is pretty bright. The Romans ruled the world and had Pagan gods! We don't rule the world and worship Christ. Maybe we should worship Pagan gods? Don't laugh, people still thought like this well into the Renaissance. The Iconoclasm movement in Byzantium was spurred by the fact that Muslims refused to worship images, and they were conquering a lot of Byzantine territory, so maybe Byzantium should cut it out with the whole worshipping images thing.

I really like Ecbert even though I know it's intentional that he's channeling the audience's opinion of the Romans. (So great! Much civilization! Rome wow!) I actually cringed when Athelstan opened that scroll. That's probably 400 years old at the time of the show! Then again it might just be a letter to Mom or a grocery list. (Roman literacy rates are literally staggering; discoveries from Roman Britain peg the literacy rate at something around 40-50%, a number that would not be equaled again, anywhere on Earth, until the industrial age.)

Jarl Borg is so hosed. I don't really get where King Horik is coming from. (Filthy pagan Petty King that he is, I eat people like him for breakfast in Crusader Kings II.) He thought that Ragnar wouldn't forgive Jarl Borg, but he told him he should, so what's his angle? Does he want Ragnar to kill Jarl Borg for him, and if so why? Borg is Horik's traditional enemy, not Ragnar's. Weird.

I hope the MOST SHOCKING MOMENT ON TELEVISION bullshit was about the Blood Eagle thing.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I hope the MOST SHOCKING MOMENT ON TELEVISION bullshit was about the Blood Eagle thing.

The MOST SHOCKING MOMENT ON TELEVISION will be Ragnar playing with more than 1 baby goat. They know their audience.

I wonder if Athelstan will start to write down the viking myths now that he is now Ecbert's librarian. Although it would be funny if one of the scrolls he found was a teenage girl's diary or something.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Jarl Borg is so hosed. I don't really get where King Horik is coming from. (Filthy pagan Petty King that he is, I eat people like him for breakfast in Crusader Kings II.) He thought that Ragnar wouldn't forgive Jarl Borg, but he told him he should, so what's his angle? Does he want Ragnar to kill Jarl Borg for him, and if so why? Borg is Horik's traditional enemy, not Ragnar's. Weird.

I think he bought into Ragnar taking the big picture view. I also don't think Ragnar planned to do this, I think this was motivated by Floki figuring out and telling Rollo and Ragnar that Horik was banging Siggy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Horik's just a selfish, flighty dickhead and he stupidly treats his allies like they're his subjects. The whole reason things got ugly between Ragnar and Yarl Borg is because King Horik decided he couldn't stomach having Borg come along on the raid at the last minute and dumped the breakup speech off on Ragnar. Now he expects Ragnar to forgive Borg after Borg's done much worse to Ragnar than he ever did to Horik.

It's gonna be a Double Blood Eagle.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Arglebargle III posted:

savinhill posted:

Horik's just a selfish, flighty dickhead and he stupidly treats his allies like they're his subjects. The whole reason things got ugly between Ragnar and Yarl Borg is because King Horik decided he couldn't stomach having Borg come along on the raid at the last minute and dumped the breakup speech off on Ragnar. Now he expects Ragnar to forgive Borg after Borg's done much worse to Ragnar than he ever did to Horik.

Pretty sure Horik is just trying to keep people fighting so they don't fight him. That's the "game".

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

savinhill posted:

Well judging from the preview it looks like Borg tries to weasel Horik into helping him and most likely both will be exiting the show :v:

Siggy will need to find a new slam piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is there anything Viking legally keeping Lagertha from becoming the new Earl of drunk idiot's lands?

• Locked thread