Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing I can't figure out is, how does the Chiropractor know when to refer to an M.D.? I know they have some medical training but if I said that I send all my clients to a veterinarian who knows the limits of veterinary medicine and refers them to an M.D. when necessary, I'd be called a nut.

On the other hand, if a doctor refers someone to a Chiropractor, that's 100% ok in my book.

No, they don't. None. None at all. It is a totally unregulated field and I, person on computer, have as much medical training. I also have the significant advantage of being totally ok with not being an actual Dr and not believing in utter bullshit.

I was referred to a chiro for an unstable disc and made a formal complaint after an adjustment to my upper spine left me on the floor for a day. I'm pretty lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The thing I can't figure out is, how does the Chiropractor know when to refer to an M.D.? I know they have some medical training but if I said that I send all my clients to a veterinarian who knows the limits of veterinary medicine and refers them to an M.D. when necessary, I'd be called a nut.

Go find the websites of a few local chiropractors and see if you can find a page where they detail their training. I bet nine times out of ten you'll find a chart listing all the hours of schooling a proper doctor goes through alongside a list of huckster chiropractic bullshit classes that proves they've actually got more training than the MD down the road.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

Go find the websites of a few local chiropractors and see if you can find a page where they detail their training. I bet nine times out of ten you'll find a chart listing all the hours of schooling a proper doctor goes through alongside a list of huckster chiropractic bullshit classes that proves they've actually got more training than the MD down the road.

I'd take a fresh med school grad over someone with med school and 3 years of witch doctoring and crystal therapy experience.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ozmunkeh posted:

That's kind of what I'm getting at, they probably think that they have some degree of medical expertise and they definitely claim that they do. Although if you press them, usually they'll start getting very careful with the phrasing.

I'm starting to feel bad for comparing a veterinarian to a chiropractor. If I was in a survival scenario and I had to choose between a veterinarian and a chiropractor, I'd take the vet without a second thought.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

On the other hand, if a doctor refers someone to a Chiropractor, that's 100% ok in my book.

Generally this is if the MRI reveals something like a herniated disc or torn tendon or something like that won't be fixed by just "pressing really hard on the joint" or whatever the hell it is chiropractors do.

The fact is, I send my clients where I send them because that's what I'm told to do. It pads the bill and makes the settlements larger. I'm just glad that when we send a client to one it's a chiropractor that knows that they're not a real doctor so they have an M.D. on staff too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The only people who care about flags are the type to assault and steal them from people. Evidence above.

The pictures thread has taught me this is not true.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

smilingfish posted:

Generally this is if the MRI reveals something like a herniated disc or torn tendon or something like that won't be fixed by just "pressing really hard on the joint" or whatever the hell it is chiropractors do.

The fact is, I send my clients where I send them because that's what I'm told to do. It pads the bill and makes the settlements larger. I'm just glad that when we send a client to one it's a chiropractor that knows that they're not a real doctor so they have an M.D. on staff too.

Yeah, I'm definitely not questioning your legal expertise. It doesn't have to make sense medically if it makes sense in a legal/cultural context. It might be different if juries were 100% medical doctors.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So another fun round of "idiots on facebook" happened today.

A friend of mine doesn't qualify for ACA subsidies because he makes too little, and is in one of the states (PA) that opted not to expand Medicaid (which would have covered him).

He started going off on other people with assistance and fraud/welfare queens, the standard playbook, and I'm trying to emphasize how we're all victims being played against each other etc etc.

His conservative leaning friends show up and one of them spouts out about how food stamps should be subject to drug testing and the like, and once you fail a test you should be barred from ever receiving benefits again.

After unsuccessfully trying to argue the absurdity of drug testing, I make an appeal to compassion, noting that we shouldn't be punishing children, who make up a ton of food stamp recipients, for their parents' alleged mistakes.

His response:

quote:

Sometimes in war there are casualties

I really just can't even wrap my head around how one arrives at that mindset.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

aBagorn posted:

A bitter, miserable existence with a complete lack of self-awareness. It's a common thread with these people who claim to be the masters of "self-sufficiency" that they blame all of their problems on other people. Ironically they accuse those people of not taking control of their own lives.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
All War is Class War.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

aBagorn posted:

I've known food stamp recipients who were racist as heck. Regular religious people who would otherwise strike you as decent. Like verbatim "If there were less Mexicans using them, there'd be more for me" rhetoric, just totally unaware that their kid doesn't automatically deserve more because it's theirs.

All you can say is "I don't value solving a disadvantaged child's hunger problem less than a better-off kid. It's pretty messed-up that you do."

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

aBagorn posted:

A friend of mine doesn't qualify for ACA subsidies because he makes too little, and is in one of the states (PA) that opted not to expand Medicaid (which would have covered him).

He started going off on other people with assistance and fraud/welfare queens, the standard playbook, and I'm trying to emphasize how we're all victims being played against each other etc etc.

His conservative leaning friends show up and one of them spouts out about how food stamps should be subject to drug testing and the like, and once you fail a test you should be barred from ever receiving benefits again.

After unsuccessfully trying to argue the absurdity of drug testing, I make an appeal to compassion, noting that we shouldn't be punishing children, who make up a ton of food stamp recipients, for their parents' alleged mistakes.

His response:

You got lucky, they admitted they're a monster early. The last time I mentioned how children are a ton of the recipients of food stamps and why should they be punished, the small government anti-welfare individual told me that the government should take those children from their parents if they can't feed them without food stamps when they are unemployed and can't find work. :psyduck:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

smilingfish posted:

The fact is, I send my clients where I send them because that's what I'm told to do. It pads the bill and makes the settlements larger.

I think this is pretty exploitative, man.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Mo_Steel posted:

You got lucky, they admitted they're a monster early. The last time I mentioned how children are a ton of the recipients of food stamps and why should they be punished, the small government anti-welfare individual told me that the government should take those children from their parents if they can't feed them without food stamps when they are unemployed and can't find work. :psyduck:

Nothing motivates you to work better than the crippling depression that would come from losing your entire family.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Emron posted:

I think this is pretty exploitative, man.

Yes. Sometimes it is. Not a lot of jobs for lawyers fresh out of law school these days.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 4, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

aBagorn posted:

His response:

"Just to be clear, you're saying that you are okay that children go hungry because they had the misfortune to be born to impoverished addicts? That's okay with you?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Swan Oat posted:

"Just to be clear, you're saying that you are okay that children go hungry because they had the misfortune to be born to impoverished addicts? That's okay with you?"

The current Tea Party would say yes to this pridefully. You might be able to get some of the old grandma types who bought in since they watch Fox News all day that the logical conclusion of their political beliefs is monstrous but we saw an audience full of them cheer for a person to be left to die for the sin of not having health insurance so shame of being inhuman isn't something they really feel anymore.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Swan Oat posted:

"We want small government! A really small, hands off government that will come into the home at the slightest provocation and steal your family away from you! Freedom! Don't tread on me!"

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm wondering what's supposed to happen to said children. It seems far more cost effective to provide a meager amount of aid to feed the kids rather than take the kids away and then have to clothe them and shelter them in addition to that pesky food thing. Adoption wouldn't work because you'd probably have hundreds of thousands of kids on your hands to find homes for, and what kind of sick monster would adopt a kid that had been kidnapped?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

tek79 posted:

I'm wondering what's supposed to happen to said children. It seems far more cost effective to provide a meager amount of aid to feed the kids rather than take the kids away and then have to clothe them and shelter them in addition to that pesky food thing. Adoption wouldn't work because you'd probably have hundreds of thousands of kids on your hands to find homes for, and what kind of sick monster would adopt a kid that had been kidnapped?

"Now listen here Jimmy, we got you away from your destitute parents and we're gonna give you a shot to make something of yourself and not follow in their lazy footsteps. Room and board isn't cheap though. We'll start a tab for you, and you can work your way to prosperity; that shale oil isn't going to frack itself." :unsmigghh:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

tek79 posted:

I'm wondering what's supposed to happen to said children.

Presumably, full souls and empty stomachs.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That Paul Ryan clip is amazing.

Obamacare discourages people from working!!! Americans want empty stomachs and full souls!!! Kid realizes that poverty is crippling to family, and that's why liberalism is bad!!! Equal outcomes bad!!! Equal opportunity* good!!!

*void where prohibited (among all members of the 99%)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

I like how he stops after almost every sentence, expecting giant applause breaks for all his amazing insights or hilarious zingers. And when he doesn't get them he starts clearing his throat, then finally gives up and keeps talking.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, it's like a worse incarnation of Mother Theresa skimping on pain meds. Most patients can tolerate extra pain as a part of being healed, but malnourished kids are literally underdeveloped humans. I'd say it's a weird mix of Catholic pain-guilt and a romanticized pre-FDR era:

Paul Ryan's mind posted:

"My granddad grew up without much government help, and look how successful he was! Kids aren't using dynamite to get rid of stumps anymore, and they rarely hunt their own food! Suffering builds character. The American dream is Objectivism."

Thankfully, real Catholics tend to support safety nets. And while they may be into pain, it's only in the bedroom.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

My mom used to pack my lunch in a brown paper bag. Much of the time it was two flour tortillas with a melted slice of Kraft American cheese between them and a Thermos of chocolate milk that was half sour by lunch time. Not every meal in a paper bag is made with all that much "care". At least the free school lunch would come with a fruit cup.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
ed

Dumb

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 5, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to be pretty supportive of private charities and church based charities when I was young and stupid but now that I know how much of a scum bag mother Teressa really was I'm pretty convinced that the government should be primary means of helping the poor.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Fred Clark (as usual) had a righteous post on the subject of private charity.

quote:

[P]rivate charities are impressive, essential and effective. They should be celebrated and supported.

And they should be listened to. They’ve earned that right.

So whenever someone has the gall or the ignorance or the cruelty to suggest that public efforts and the government safety net should be eliminated and replaced with private charity, that person should be forced to go and talk to the people actually working for actual private charities. They should be forced to go an look into the face of the local food bank’s director to see the look of despair there as they contemplate the impossibility of serving the people they serve if there wasn’t also SNAP (“food stamps”) and WIC and SSI and TANF. They should be forced to endure the sermon from the Habitat director — the mix of scripture and story as they describe how much more difficult their good work would be in a world without HUD and Section-8 and all the rest.

And in extreme cases, they should even be invited to go and talk to that amazing woman at the after-school tutoring program. If they’re brave enough, or stupid enough, they can try to explain to her their ideas about cutting funding for public education. But I’d suggest having medical personnel standing by, because the withering side-eye she’ll give them might just be lethal.

If you like private charity, then you shouldn’t be trying to destroy it. And let’s be clear: Eliminating or drastically cutting government safety net programs would create a tsunami of need that could overwhelm and destroy local private charities.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2013/10/09/no-private-charity-cant-handle-it-alone/

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I keep hurting myself. I should stay away but I can't. I really think I need to talk to someone about this.

This week in LL101!

What the gently caress does this even mean?

And thats why we're allowed to make sure that not one dollar of our taxes goes to subsidies for oil companies. Oh loving wait.

"If Hobby Lobby isn't allowed to ignore laws it doesn't want to follow, then FREEDOM OF THE PRESS IS GONE FOREVER!!"

And thats why Republicans of course would always oppose the death penalty.

Via misogynistic kneejerk stupidity mistaking contraceptives, the only effective way to reduce abortion ever, with abortion, of course!

Yes, because the system was totally set up to benefeit black people over white people. No form of white privilidge exists whatsoever.

Goddammit I hate white people.

Really pushing the "contraceptives=Abortions" bullshit, huh?

And as we all know, Christian Schools directly give us tangible benefeits and work that we profit from, so we of course need to pay them.

This is the worst dictionary ever.

I don't know how to do the expanding ironicat, so pretend I did it.

Private property? Whats that?

"Why can't you just leave us alone to exploit you and force our morality on you?"

Its amazing how their definition manages to include less actual information than the actual terms.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 5, 2014

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

The current Tea Party would say yes to this pridefully. You might be able to get some of the old grandma types who bought in since they watch Fox News all day that the logical conclusion of their political beliefs is monstrous but we saw an audience full of them cheer for a person to be left to die for the sin of not having health insurance so shame of being inhuman isn't something they really feel anymore.

The video for anyone who forgot that incident
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PepQF7G-It0

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Private property? Whats that?

Uh...There's protestors every day at Planned Parenthood 20 minutes away from where I live.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FuzzySkinner posted:

Uh...There's protestors every day at Planned Parenthood 20 minutes away from where I live.

"At". Not "in".

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Alexzandvar posted:

I used to be pretty supportive of private charities and church based charities when I was young and stupid but now that I know how much of a scum bag mother Teressa really was I'm pretty convinced that the government should be primary means of helping the poor.
My favorite objection to "private charity over public" is that it's rather fundamentally pro-choice. Everybody must contribute to public charity, because the right of Americans to not be left to die in the streets is more important than their right to keep all their money. Nobody has to contribute to private charity, because everybody should have the right to make their own choice on whether/how to help others. This leads to the big problem with making things optional, what happens when people take the wrong option? What do you do when everybody chooses, as is their right, to not give to the needy?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

According to a quick Google search that quote originally comes from Samuel Johnson, not David Hume. So apparently LiberalLogic cares deeply about the truth, but not enough to spend five minutes verifying its own claims.

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, because the system was totally set up to benefeit black people over white people. No form of white privilidge exists whatsoever.

Goddammit I hate white people.
Hating white people? I guess that makes you the real racist. :smug:

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah, but why aren't they allowed to be in the doctor's office yelling at him personally with a bullhorn at all hours of the work day? Talk about oppression :smug:.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

aBagorn posted:

Perceived threat to identity.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm probably too late for chiropractor chat but I legit knew a chiropractor named Doctor Bender and I told him how awesome his name was and he was clearly not amused.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Theo Retical is me.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
"but this is coming from a vegan hippy anti medication chick, so I prolly have the wrong idea, but it's ok because it's a choice of what believe"

Does she not understand evolution takes many generations? That people live and reproduce on schedules orders of magnitude greater than viruses? She's just as bad as Republicans with that "I get to decide my own reality" mindset. Probably into The Secret as well, it's the same mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
What in the hell is a genetically altered chemical :psyduck: