Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah but fine sucks. I want great.

We already have Joe Flacco, and his knee might not still be hosed come regular season even, let's not get too greedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Sour Diesel posted:

Torrey was one of the top receivers in the league for a good chunk of the season's first half. He was taking so much heat off of everyone else that Tandon Doss of all people looked halfway serviceable. If Marlon Brown wasn't a one year wonder, you have Torrey and Steve + Marlon. This is all on top of an offensive line that's already a huge upgrade from last year despite not even having a RT.

If the passing attack does not improve this year then I dunno what the gently caress.

So I guess I just haven't followed TFF offseason enough but are the offseason threads like the one place where Kawalimus posts get responded to with any sort of seriousness? Because that schtick doesn't get much play in any of the threads when the games are actually happening.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

While I agree with this 2014 is absolutely the year to gamble on a receiving talent and we've put our selves in a tough spot to do that. I'd rather the money spent on Smith went toward a solid FS so we didn't have to depend on a crazy young safety tandem, or some jag from St.Louis especially because we could then expand Marlon Brown's role while taking advantage of one of the best WR classes I can remember. It would be a risk but so is defending the back end with Matt Elam and some draft pick in a mediocre safety class. Besides, best case Steve Smith is a stop gap with a really high opportunity cost.

At least the offense is already better than last year's and no matter what watching Gradkowski get cut in August should be fun.

Thankfully we have a pair of good corners. The defense was pretty good last season, they just got tanked in the 4th quarter from being on the field for 90% of the game. Jimmy seems to be living up to his potential and if he plays like he did last year when he was shutting receivers the gently caress down, it'll be pretty awesome. If Webb plays as well as last year that's fine as well, but he might be better this year after he's had even more time to rehab his knee. Having two good corners and a pretty nasty front 7 will make things easier on the safeties. I'm a bit bummed they don't go after Clemons or Manning for the position and I agree with you that the Steve Smith money would have been better spent there.

Smith adds a bit more of a security blanket, since it's another reliable set of hands. Outside of Pitta I always hold my breath when a Baltimore receiver is attempting to catch a pass. I'm still getting used to trusting Torrey's hands even after a good season where he showed flashes of being an okay #1 receiver, heh. With Smith drawing some attention from defenses and being a reliable receiver, this opens up Torrey even more. He put up his best season while drawing all sorts of coverage. Now that there's a semi-guarantee of another receiving threat on the team, he'll be even more effective. If this draft is as stacked at receiver as everyone has been saying, it's not the worst thing in the world if Ozzie doesn't go after one in the 1st. Like Oberst said, as long as there is some kind of running attack it'll be an interesting offense to watch. Also remember we have an actual offensive coordinator (I keep forgetting we have one!).

Deer_fire posted:

So I guess I just haven't followed TFF offseason enough but are the offseason threads like the one place where Kawalimus posts get responded to with any sort of seriousness? Because that schtick doesn't get much play in any of the threads when the games are actually happening.

Kawalimus is a nice guy and his posts give me an excuse to make effort-Ravens-posts in the offseason.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 4, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Saints RFA Rafael Bush (FS) signs offer sheet with Falcons. Saints have until Apr 8th to match.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Deer_fire posted:

I don't usually post too much in the offseason I just comment every now and then when I see we've signed some players.

But I see people saying this is a receiver-rich draft and now I remember it being said in the past so I will hope we can get a guy then who can put up some major production. If we have that amazing pass catcher it will improve the rest of our corps.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

shiksa posted:

It's a good thing Shannahan isn't in DC anymore then.
Has there been any other multiple Super Bowl-winning coach who has been exposed for a complete fraud over the past several years?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Tom Coughlin because of spectacular failure or whatever

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chris Gaines posted:

Has there been any other multiple Super Bowl-winning coach who has been exposed for a complete fraud over the past several years?

PED Carol and the Seadderall Seahawks?

Controversy with players using PEDs at USC and shitloads of it in Seattle over his tenure there. Not sure that makes him a fraud, but it certainly doesn't look -good-. Not quite Belichick levels of cheating, but pretty close if he actually encourages PED use.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chilichimp posted:

PED Carol and the Seadderall Seahawks?

Zing! This guy is on a roll! Heyooooo!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I laughed but I have autism like whoa

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Not to be a pedant but he did say 'multiple' Super Bowl winning coach.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris Gaines posted:

Not in the past several years but I think Billick is one of the big ones. He boasted when he came to Baltimore how he knew QBs so well then won a SB with a great defense.

Who was his hand-picked QB who was going to carry our team?? Kyle Boller.

Oh it was supposed to be multiple. Oh well I'm still leaving it. If we had gotten by Indianapolis in the 2006 playoffs there's a really good chance he would have been a multiple, fraud or no.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 4, 2014

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I know Trent Dilfer is poo poo and all that but it was funny when Billick decided to ditch him after winning the Super Bowl for Elvis "Sexiest Man Alive" Grbac and they somehow got worse.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris Gaines posted:

I know Trent Dilfer is poo poo and all that but it was funny when Billick decided to ditch him after winning the Super Bowl for Elvis "Sexiest Man Alive" Grbac and they somehow got worse.

Actually I defend the hell out of the Grbac signing, Dilfer was AWFUL and Grbac was our best option. We could have drafted Brees but I don't think that was Billick's fault and tons of other teams passed on the guy too. And Heap was a good TE.

Grbac got put into a really lovely situation. We let Priest Holmes go and then Jamal Lewis tore his ACL in training camp so we had no running game that year. We were supposed to be a running team and instead we were forced to be a passing team with a TERRIBLE pass-blocking offensive line after Jon Ogden. I'm pretty sure Grbac played a bunch of games concussed as he was getting killed out there.

Another reason we got worse was the front four of the defense was old in 2000 but kind of fell off a little in 2001 understandably with guys like Burnett and Siragusa on their last legs and McCrary's knees continuing to fall apart. And you're always going to regress to the mean.

2001 wasn't really that bad of a year all things considered, we went 10-6 and won a road playoff game. If we had had a running game more of the games would have looked like that playoff win. We wouldn't have made the playoffs with Dilfer, I guarantee you that. Our other option in free agency was Brad Johnson and would he have fared any better than Grbac?? Doubtful.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 4, 2014

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wasn't very knowledgeable about football back then so this is all good to know.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Chris Gaines posted:

I wasn't very knowledgeable about football back then so this is all good to know.

Just be warned a lot of people will disagree with me but I stick to this story pretty strongly compared to usual.

Another reason we didn't draft Brees was that we thought at the time Chris Redman(who we'd drafted in the 3rd round in 2000) would be our young QB of the future but mediocrity and back problems wrecked that eventually. We just might have drafted Brees instead of Heap otherwise.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Bird dude is right, the Ravens would have won the Super Bowl if Jamal didn't gently caress himself up in training camp.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Parlett316 posted:

Bird dude is right, the Ravens would have won the Super Bowl if Jamal didn't gently caress himself up in training camp.

I think there is a really good chance we would have made the Superbowl but I do not think we would have beaten the Rams. I just imagine if Jamal Lewis had had his 2000-yard season that year instead of 2003. What a matchup that would have been in the Superbowl!! Also might have saved you all having to deal with the Patriots :D

Another thing that hurt us bad(and I just mentioned in another recent post) was the Searcy signing. We signed Leon Searcy at RT who had been hurt the previous season and he ended up not playing a down. That REALLY hosed up the offensive line to go along with the running game and like I said put Grbac in a terrible situation. That was not a guy you want to have to be eluding pass rushers on his own.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Things like "what if the Ravens drafted Brees over Heap" gives me an idea for a thread...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chris Gaines posted:

Things like "what if the Ravens drafted Brees over Heap" gives me an idea for a thread...

Been done.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=6894586&src=desktop

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Not to be a pedant but he did say 'multiple' Super Bowl winning coach.

Meh, what's another 8 months?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As expected, Chris Johnson's finally getting cut today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

I can't think of too many teams that would willingly give a large contract extension to a guy with 2 years left on his rookie deal. No one from the 2011 1st round has been signed yet.

They are going to have to do something with their 30M in cap room...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chris Gaines posted:

Joe Gibbs

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Nice troll

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@AdamSchefter: WR Mike Williams becomes seventh Williams on Bills' roster joining S Aaron, G Chris, S Duke, DE Kyle, DE Mario, LB Nathan. And now WR Mike.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Parlett316 posted:

Priest Holmes could have carried the run game that year if he hadn't been moved on couldn't he? Dude was pretty good in KC.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Corzaa posted:

Priest Holmes could have carried the run game that year if he hadn't been moved on couldn't he? Dude was pretty good in KC.

I don't blame them for moving on from Priest. Jamal was legit and with him carrying the workload with an solid QB and still solid defense they would have still been a force. Once Jamal went down they had to go full on passing attack and they were doooomed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Corzaa posted:

Priest ran behind one of the best OLs in NFL history and had a pretty goddamn good fullback too.

He's pretty overrated

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Priest ran behind one of the best OLs in NFL history and had a pretty goddamn good fullback too.

He's pretty overrated

preistholmesnintendo.gif

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@JasonLaCanfora: Titans have made their release of RB Chris Johnson official

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

He got some real bad Redskins squads in the 00's to be competitive. The game had definitely passed him by to a degree, but Gibbs is the best coach the Redskins have had in the Snyder era besides maybe Marty.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Tampa got a 6th round pick for Mike Williams, and Philadelphia got nothing for DeSean Jackson.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Ravens also signed RB Justin Forsett from Jacksonville. No clue about this guy.

vv That's fine. Baltimore had to sign 2 RBs midseason last year when both of the RBs on the roster were hurt. I don't mind the depth.

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 4, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sour Diesel posted:

The Ravens also signed RB Justin Forsett from Jacksonville. No clue about this guy.

He floated around as a third string on the Hawks a couple years ago. He was pretty useless then, so I can't imagine that he improved with age.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just a Chris Johnson footnote from Schefter:

Four teams that discussed a potential trade for RB Chris Johnson, but ultimately declined to do so, were the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Falcons.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kalli posted:

Just a Chris Johnson footnote from Schefter:

Four teams that discussed a potential trade for RB Chris Johnson, but ultimately declined to do so, were the Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Falcons.

So Jets, Bills, or Falcons at this point.

Our signing of Moreno pretty much guarantees we are out of it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Why does it feel like the AFC East does 10 times more than any other division? And this isn't even about the eastern bias or anything since I get basically all my news here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rap posted:

Why does it feel like the AFC East does 10 times more than any other division? And this isn't even about the eastern bias or anything since I get basically all my news here

Because we have three incompetent teams who have been scrambling to compete with the Patriots for almost 15 years now.

• Locked thread