Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Seems to be gone in 35.0.1870.2 m, hopefully it's just temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

DemonMage posted:

Seems to be gone in 35.0.1870.2 m, hopefully it's just temporary.

I use that feature ALL the time, and I cannot remotely comprehend why it would be removed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use that feature ALL the time, and I cannot remotely comprehend why it would be removed.

Because minimalist designs are the hot new style in application development. If your application does more than the absolute minimum, it's worse than useless.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

dpbjinc posted:

Because minimalist designs are the hot new style in application development. If your application does more than the absolute minimum, it's worse than useless.

I am currently designing a browser that consists only of a minimal plugin framework. The user is required to use plugins if he wants to do extra stuff like access web pages, render html, view images, etc.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

withak posted:

I am currently designing a browser that consists only of a minimal plugin framework. The user is required to use plugins if he wants to do extra stuff like access web pages, render html, view images, etc.

No, that's wrong! The framework must itself be a plugin to be truly minimalist.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same. I can't recall the last thing outside of Chromecast that was an improvement in the Chrome browser from a previous version.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So, is this where I go to bitch about Chrome's chromecast extension?

I just got a chromecast, cool little device. However, the Chrome extension is constantly crashing, and I can never actually cast a tab from my computer to my chromecast. It sees it on the network, and click the button, and a few seconds later it just throws up a red X with a non-descript error. The youtube site works fine because it has built-in support, but I thought you were supposed to be able to cast regular tabs also.

I'm using this extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd

Anybody else having these problems? Any fixes? trying to :google: the problem failed me.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So, is this where I go to bitch about Chrome's chromecast extension?

I just got a chromecast, cool little device. However, the Chrome extension is constantly crashing, and I can never actually cast a tab from my computer to my chromecast. It sees it on the network, and click the button, and a few seconds later it just throws up a red X with a non-descript error. The youtube site works fine because it has built-in support, but I thought you were supposed to be able to cast regular tabs also.

I'm using this extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd

Anybody else having these problems? Any fixes? trying to :google: the problem failed me.

It's crashing for me too. It had been working fine but started crashing in the last week or so. I haven't found a fix either.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't have any trouble with it when I first bought it back in October but since about mid-January it has been completely useless and crashes all the time.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Cool, glad to know it's not just me.

Should have figured. God drat it, Google :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, does anyone else get random glitches in audio from video or music streaming sites? Like, if I'm watching a Youtube video or listening to Google Play Music, it'll not-infrequently, almost stutter with a "bzzzzt" sound.

Having recently upgraded my PC to an i5-4670k, I thought that'd go away. Nope.

So, today I did some experimenting and can't get it to stutter at all in Firefox.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I had some visual stuttering after a recent update and the cause was it had turned the native flash player back on. Go into chrome://plugins and check that you only have one flash player enabled?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ok this might sound like the dumbest question ever but it is really pissing me off:

Sometimes when I use chrome it automatically decides that I should be zoomed in or out of a page, and so it will do that for me.

I don't want it zoom in or out of a page.

This is a desktop, so it's not a trackpad issue.

It's not my keyboard having a sticky ctrl. I tried it without my keyboard attached, and it still decides to zoom in and out wildly.

I have no zoom related extensions.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Apparently Chrome shat itself for some reason and now I lost all my settings, extensions, and most importantly my tabs. Is there any way to restore things from the Last Session file except opening it in a text editor and manually pulling the links out of it?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Is there a Chrome extension like this one? https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/save-image-in-folder/?src=ss

It lets you set up folders to save images to and they show up on the menu when you right-click. I'm an artist and I save a lot of reference and this is a lifesaver for me. Anything similar for Chrome?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Dumb Chrome/Windows question:

On my work PC I have to keep IE as my default browser for our CRM, but I use Chrome for everything else. I have a shortcut to a google doc and I want to set it to open in Chrome by default instead of IE. Is there a way I can edit the target URL to specify Chrome?

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

Count Sacula posted:

Dumb Chrome/Windows question:

On my work PC I have to keep IE as my default browser for our CRM, but I use Chrome for everything else. I have a shortcut to a google doc and I want to set it to open in Chrome by default instead of IE. Is there a way I can edit the target URL to specify Chrome?

I'm don't think Windows can set a default program per-file, but you can make a .bat file that opens a website in Chrome.

Something like this should work:
code:
<path to chrome.exe> "<drive document URL>"
Chrome usually installs to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe but it might be different on your work PC.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's only different in the Enterprise version.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Infected Mushroom posted:

I'm don't think Windows can set a default program per-file, but you can make a .bat file that opens a website in Chrome.

Something like this should work:
code:
<path to chrome.exe> "<drive document URL>"
Chrome usually installs to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe but it might be different on your work PC.
You don't need a batch file for that; a regular shortcut to chrome can be customized the same way.

Chrome has that shortcut generation built right in, too --
Count Sacula, open the page you want in chrome, then click Settings (=) -> Tools -> 'Create application shortcuts...'. Then just check the box for desktop.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Thanks guys, I think I overthought this one. No reason not to just add it to my bookmark bar.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm in Germany and I can't for the life of me get Google results to be based on the USA internet. There are several solutions out there but Chrome seems to have changed things so that search results are delivered based on location. Can I make it not?

This is an example of something that doesn't work, and gives me German results:
code:
 [url]http://www.google.com/search?[/url]{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&q=%s

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

I'm in Germany and I can't for the life of me get Google results to be based on the USA internet. There are several solutions out there but Chrome seems to have changed things so that search results are delivered based on location. Can I make it not?

This is an example of something that doesn't work, and gives me German results:
code:
 [url]http://www.google.com/search?[/url]{google:RLZ}{google:acceptedSuggestion}{google:originalQueryForSuggestion}sourceid=chrome&ie={inputEncoding}&q=%s

Goto google.de and then go down to the bottom and hit google.com. Clear cookies and try again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Can someone suggest a plugin that'll let me download youtube videos?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

YouTube Options. Due to download extensions not being allowed on the Chrome store, you'll have to use the dev channel version that'll let you install non-store extensions. It's pretty annoying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

DemonMage posted:

YouTube Options. Due to download extensions not being allowed on the Chrome store, you'll have to use the dev channel version that'll let you install non-store extensions. It's pretty annoying.

Works a charm, thanks. I was looking at safefrom.net and it was just rubbing me all kinds of wrong, especially when I found their facebook page was all in Russian.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
What's a good alternative to Youtube Options? They're doing this and I'm not gonna pay $2 a month for a Chrome extension.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Are you sure that wasn't just their April Fool's joke? I can't find anything about it on the main YouTube Options page. Though it looks like the latest update busts it, or it needs another one due to YouTube changes, I'm just getting Server Problem trying to download stuff now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

DemonMage posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just their April Fool's joke?

That started on April 2?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

YouTube Options hasn't worked for me since the last YouTube update anyway. Also, I wouldn't be downloading videos off of YouTube if they didn't force DASH down people's throats; half the time videos won't play, and the other half they only play 3/4 of the way through then die. gently caress both Spoi and Google. I'm just opening up Firefox for any YouTube links at this point, since at least some of those YouTube extensions don't suck, and I'm switching off of Chrome entirely once Firefox gets Electrolysis working.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Whizbang posted:

What's a good alternative to Youtube Options? They're doing this and I'm not gonna pay $2 a month for a Chrome extension.

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki

Youtube Center has mad amounts of options, looks very nice, integrates into the youtube interface, etc. I have not been wanting for anything in it. The best youtube extension there is.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Getting through all the options was a little annoying at first, but thanks for that. It does everything I needed from before and some things I wanted that weren't in YouTube Options.

Also dpbjinc, YouTube Center lets you disable DASH, since that seems to be lovely for you.

Also as this is a UserScript you're using via Tampermonkey (or the like), it doesn't require you to be on the dev channel, which is nice.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Youtube Center has mad amounts of options, looks very nice, integrates into the youtube interface, etc. I have not been wanting for anything in it. The best youtube extension there is.

beautiful, thank you. Ditching YTO was far easier than expected.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Amppelix posted:

I've been looking for a plugin like this that actually works for ages, thankyou!

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
How do I get Youtube Center installed? Chrome prevents me from installing it since it's not from the Chrome Web Store.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Purple D. Link posted:

How do I get Youtube Center installed? Chrome prevents me from installing it since it's not from the Chrome Web Store.
Download the crx then go to the Extensions page and drag the crx on to it. I think it'll get disabled the next time Chrome updates though so it might end up better to install Tampermonkey and use the userscript version instead.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

datajosh posted:

Download the crx then go to the Extensions page and drag the crx on to it. I think it'll get disabled the next time Chrome updates though so it might end up better to install Tampermonkey and use the userscript version instead.
Okay, I'll try using the crx for now and see what happens next update. Thanks. :)

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Today I started up Chrome on my Mac (10.9.2) and even though I've always had notifications disabled in chrome://flags, today it keeps giving me notifications every hour. It looks like Google Now type notifications (birthday today, current weather, how my sports teams did). If this is disabled in flags how can I stop it because I really hate notifications.

e: It somehow changed the settings for the notification area itself, so it's fixed. Either something weird happened or my cat slept on my laptop and hit keys.

booshi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 4, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

booshi posted:

Today I started up Chrome on my Mac (10.9.2) and even though I've always had notifications disabled in chrome://flags, today it keeps giving me notifications every hour. It looks like Google Now type notifications (birthday today, current weather, how my sports teams did). If this is disabled in flags how can I stop it because I really hate notifications.

e: It somehow changed the settings for the notification area itself, so it's fixed. Either something weird happened or my cat slept on my laptop and hit keys.

when chome updates it will often do whatever google wants to the flags page in order to subject you whatever experiment google wants to conduct on you.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Whizbang posted:

I use Magic actions since I can't expend the effort needed to install this youtube center thing.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

kri kri posted:

I use Magic actions since I can't expend the effort needed to install this youtube center thing.
The effort needed:
Install the Tampermonkey extension.
Click the big green 'Install' button at the top of the YTC userscripts page.

It took you longer to link to magic actions than it would have to install this.