Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Red Thunder downloads just went up for pre-orders, expect it to go live for general consumption within a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

MohawkSatan posted:

The quick battles are honestly pretty good and 90% of what I play.

Me too, although I recently started one with DarkSwordmaster in which I gave the attacker a +25% point bonus, set myself up as the defender... and then got spawned across the map from the objectives.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

Red Thunder downloads just went up for pre-orders, expect it to go live for general consumption within a few hours.

I'm :f5:ing so hard.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I've been trying to do large battle quick maps but they have pretty much all been a disaster. I think the system works ok for the small stuff but the bigger stuff I think it must be a combo of ai limitations and the designers just not setting up their maps right.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

uPen posted:

I'm going to have to spend all day at work thinking about the russians riding tanks into battle sitting on my HD. :(

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Combat Mission: Touch is currently on sale for $0.99. I don't know whether it's any good, but $1 is impulse territory for me.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

Combat Mission: Touch is currently on sale for $0.99. I don't know whether it's any good, but $1 is impulse territory for me.

It's pretty fun - only played single-player (because I'm antisocial :v:) but even on my aged and underpowered Nook Color it ran fine.

There's one or two (maybe more, now) DLC battles for it, as well.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Red Thunder is out!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Red Thunder is out!

It's happening etc etc

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baloogan posted:

I'm going to have to spend all day at work thinking about the russians riding tanks into battle sitting on my HD. :(

Can't hear you, too busy shooting flamethrowers at dudes riding on tanks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

uPen posted:

Can't hear you, too busy shooting flamethrowers at dudes riding on tanks.

Installer is 90% complete.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Soviet rocket artillery is 14 points, this cannot be right.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

Soviet rocket artillery is 14 points, this cannot be right.

It's offmap artillery right? How many barrages does it have?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
It is their rocket artillery, it is 14 for the 82mm and more for the others, a full 65 points for the 300mm variety with over 100 rockets in all of them. I'm thinking they just for got the zero at the end and it should be 140 and 650 respectively.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's the Red Army. If your force isn't entirely comprised of Katuyshas and conscript infantry, you're doing it wrong. :ussr:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Just did a quick play through of the smallest scenario. This is my first CM game since Shock Force and while it's clearly the same game engine, the difference is incredible. Buildings are more than squares with doors and windows. Terrain is much more detailed and variable. Troop movement is much more fluid. I love this already.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Just did a quick play through of the smallest scenario. This is my first CM game since Shock Force and while it's clearly the same game engine, the difference is incredible. Buildings are more than squares with doors and windows. Terrain is much more detailed and variable. Troop movement is much more fluid. I love this already.

gently caress you guys are making it really hard not to leave work early.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

And harder for me to keep my wallet full until payday.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well lucky we're in a genre without early buyer pricing incentives, so it'll be the same price in two weeks. So if it's between food or grog, choose grog food.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Welp that's that bought. I'd spend the same on a single night out, I suppose.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

jBrereton posted:

And now you'll stop going out at night. Win win.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
We playing scourge of war again this weekend?

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Fan of the combat mission games since CMBO and on/off fan after CMBB. In Red Thunder they managed to make their ~super special~ cmx engine even worse. Turning trees on in a small QB map brings my R9 290x to its knees and the loading times are terrible considering I'm using an ssd. I'm not a hard man to please but this is atrocious.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

4 minutes into my first QB, a Veteran SU-76M I ordered to fire on an enemy MG team smacks an HE shell into a tree about ten feet in front of them, taking out half an FO team across the road that was partway through a laboriously long call-in for an offmap 76mm battery.

Nice one, guys. Nice one. Heroes of the Soviet Union.

@Engine complaints, yeah this is a weird one. It's also strangely wafer-thin. Like if you looked on the side of the maps from the side in CMx1, I think it made some kind of 'board', whereas with CMRT, not sure about the rest, it's like skybox through and through with a map kind of floating in space.

Looks nice from certain angles, mind, but only from certain angles.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2014

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

dtkozl posted:

We playing scourge of war again this weekend?

I'd be down.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
If anyone is interested there is a fairly active SoW community that runs a MP focused mod with randomized maps and persistent troops.
They can be found at http://www.sowmp.com/gcm I used to play there pretty frequently and there were games every evening.

Is anyone else having issues downloading Red Thunder? I keep getting about half a GB into the download and then a network error forcing me to restart the download.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 6, 2014

konna
Aug 1, 2005

Obstacle2 posted:

Is anyone else having issues downloading Red Thunder? I keep getting about half a GB into the download and then a network error forcing me to restart the download.

It's such a cluster gently caress. Key bindings, downloads, <20 fps on a high end computer with balanced settings, random crashes, poor loading times etc. I feel ripped off and I can't recommend this game to anyone.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

konna posted:

It's such a cluster gently caress. Key bindings, downloads, <20 fps on a high end computer with balanced settings, random crashes, poor loading times etc. I feel ripped off and I can't recommend this game to anyone.

I have what was a high end computer 18 months ago. I downloaded it immediately, have had a high frame rate with high settings, the scenarios load quickly, and the game has never crashed once on me.

Just a counterpoint, because I have enjoyed the game so far.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

I have what was a high end computer 18 months ago. I downloaded it immediately, have had a high frame rate with high settings, the scenarios load quickly, and the game has never crashed once on me.

Just a counterpoint, because I have enjoyed the game so far.

What graphics card? For me during game play the gpu utilization is at 30% and cpu at 20%. This is with balanced settings, 1440p resolution, latest drivers etc... So I don't know what the gently caress. The game is not using the hardware to its max capability.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah I have an older pc with a duo 2.8 and a 8900gt and so long as I turn off shadows all three games generally run fine. I put them all on an ssd and some of the really large maps take a minute or two to load but it isn't too bad. That said, I have run into some issues in cmfi, there is one particular map that just runs so slow, I can't tell if its just because of the combination of size and trees or what but it is basically unplayable. It will run, but the turns take so long to generate I have time to read between each battle minute. The game ran even worse when it came out but now patched up generally everything else is fine. It is strange because I never really have an issue with cmbn. RT seems ok so far but it is a touch slower than cmbn, I think it has to do with their shaders.

edit: What video card do you have, they have issues with some radeon cards.

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 6, 2014

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That doesn't sound like a typical performance. Are you playing in the real time or turn based mode? It shouldn't really matter, but I mostly play in turn based mode and haven't experienced poor performance apart from murderous load times with big maps.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

konna posted:

What graphics card? For me during game play the gpu utilization is at 30% and cpu at 20%. This is with balanced settings, 1440p resolution, latest drivers etc... So I don't know what the gently caress. The game is not using the hardware to its max capability.

NVIDIA GTX 680.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

I play only in turn based mode and all of the maps I've tried have been small. GPU is the ati radeon r9 290x reference card. I ran fraps a few times and if the camera was kept stationary the fps was around 50. Which by the way is still crap considering what kind of graphics we are dealing with here. Once you start moving the camera it drops to around 30 and all the way down to 18 when following light squad on squad action in the woods. Although even with more intense action it might stay around 30, sometimes it just decides to poo poo the bed.

Edit: And I guess I'm more sensitive to this crap because this is a full priced title.

konna fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 6, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm running a 2nd gen i5 and a 650ti and I'm able to run it at a steady framerate. Cranking it up to max settings did cause the framerate to take a dive though, especially in forested areas. That's with a $150 graphics card and a similarly priced processor, if you're still running a core duo and 8000 series cards then yes you're probably going to run into issues with games coming out in 2014.

konna
Aug 1, 2005

uPen posted:

I'm running a 2nd gen i5 and a 650ti and I'm able to run it at a steady framerate. Cranking it up to max settings did cause the framerate to take a dive though, especially in forested areas. That's with a $150 graphics card and a similarly priced processor, if you're still running a core duo and 8000 series cards then yes you're probably going to run into issues with games coming out in 2014.

I don't want to be labeled as an argumentative rear end in a top hat but characterizing Red Thunder's engine as a "year 2014 engine" is wrong. To my understanding it's still essentially a CMBN engine (2011) with a few tuneups. And even if the engine would have completely been made just this year you have to compare the visuals with the required rig specs. It is completely reasonable to demand a smooth experience from a full priced game with visuals like that using a computer that is a year or two old.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
NVIDIA GTX 460 with an i3-2100 and about 4 gigs of RAM here and no noticeable problems. Seems to be just you. :shrug:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Of course it is, the 600 series came out over 2 years ago and in my experience is running it fine on anything but maxed settings. A lot of people I talk to though are still using 8000 series cards though since the last console generation was so long so you didn't need to upgrade anything and those cards are something like 8 years old.

e: If you're having a lot of framerate issues consistently I would highly recommend popping open your PC and cleaning out the dust, dust buildup can cause nasty overheating which will cause framerate issues on an otherwise perfectly fine machine.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

In my mind, grog games will forever require nothing more powerful than Windows 98 (because bearded middle-aged hamgrogs never update their poo poo).

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: gently caress. Accidentally edited THIS post instead of making a new.

Anyway, i5 2500K 3.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 560 and CMSF/BN and beyond run fairly well. Not normal game standards of 60+ FPS, but the lowest it gets is single-digits when I'm looking at ALL of a large map at once, 20 if it's chugging normally, and 30-40 on average.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Things that are actually stupid about RT: you can't give a movement order after ordering a squad to dismount from a bunker. Hope your squad just sitting in the open for a minute won't be a problem.

EDIT: I'd also love a way to tell the range on weapons.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 6, 2014