Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Maybe I just always assumed you died if you ran out of fuel, so I worked extra hard to never let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Managed to get the Slug C. Didn't quite defeat the Flagship as B but had a very, very good run. A Swarm Missile and 2 Burst IIs is a very potent combo. I vote to nominate the Swarm Missile as one of the best budget Flagship killers as it's an incredibly cheap missile launcher that can easily overwhelm defenses. Slug C is a delightfully solid looking ship, starting with a chain laser, mind control and hack drones from the start.

Also, it feels like stage two of the flagship got subtly nerfed. With 4 shields, relatively low evade and no defense drones, I face-tanked stages 1 and 2 once I took out the missile launcher. I think there's a higher Beam Drone to Anti Ship Drone ratio in the swarm now.

Though, that buff to stage three is brutal.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The best event (besides engi ship sex of course.)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What's the best big mod to use right now? FTL Captain's Edition?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cheston posted:

This is when I discovered that you can counter-Mind Control. You only need 1 power in the system to do it.

:aaa:

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
So flak cannons are the new blast II. I found two flak cannon I's and started with an adv. flak cannon. That plus a weapon pre-igniter meant I disabled most ships before they could attack. I killed the flagship with only two shields. I also found a flak II which fires 7 shots instead of three on another run :aaa:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
A fully upgraded hacking system is a thing of beauty. Shields are a complete nonfactor once it starts draining. Plus, you can use it to block off important points in their ship, then watch them pick each other off with mind control. I don't think I'd have won the damage race with the third stage of the flagship with only two Combat Drones I without it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Dear mother of god the new Mothership isn't loving around in the slightest.

My very first run on iPad with the Kestrel was a terribly easy victory, without cloak or teleporter. Just four burst lasers.
Meanwhile, every other one of my attempts (Engi A, Zoltan A) have been total failures against the mothership. Not enough firepower.

RE: Hacking. What does it actually do against the drone system? Because I hacked (level 3) the mothership's and I was still getting boarding drones tearing my poo poo up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Antinumeric posted:

So flak cannons are the new blast II. I found two flak cannon I's and started with an adv. flak cannon. That plus a weapon pre-igniter meant I disabled most ships before they could attack. I killed the flagship with only two shields. I also found a flak II which fires 7 shots instead of three on another run :aaa:

They're not all 7 shots? That's a bit disappointing. That's the one I found plus a chain vulcan that would charge to firing a laser a second, giving a shield a snowball's chance in hell, I tore through EVERYTHING.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
So, not sure if anyone has noticed, but the federation cruiser C doesn't have an artillery beam.

It has an artillery flak cannon :getin:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Are you serious? Getting it now, flak rules.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Haven't fired up FTL in month but definitely looking forward to giving it a shot tonight!

Ogmius815 posted:

Wow hard mode is pretty hard.
Humbly requesting this is as the new thread title

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter

Mango Polo posted:

RE: Hacking. What does it actually do against the drone system? Because I hacked (level 3) the mothership's and I was still getting boarding drones tearing my poo poo up.

Did you also use the "disrupt" ability on the hacking system? The way it works, I think, is that just having the drone clamped to the ship (and powered) will lock down the room and prevent them from getting the manned-room bonus -- but to get the really special effects (freezing drones, draining shields, tanking evasion, etc) you need to activate the "disrupt" ability by pushing the button on the hacking system. The disruption effect lasts for a few seconds and then goes into cooldown until you can activate it again.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Dog Day #42 posted:

Did you also use the "disrupt" ability on the hacking system? The way it works, I think, is that just having the drone clamped to the ship (and powered) will lock down the room and prevent them from getting the manned-room bonus -- but to get the really special effects (freezing drones, draining shields, tanking evasion, etc) you need to activate the "disrupt" ability by pushing the button on the hacking system. The disruption effect lasts for a few seconds and then goes into cooldown until you can activate it again.

Really? gently caress. Yes, all I did was click the system button & target the drone room.
So I need to tap the system again to activate the effect? I... could have won so easily if not for the drones and breaches :negative:

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Man it is like SUPER tough to employ a boarding strategy with a Cloning Bay. One of my runs I did Lanius A on Hard and not being able to heal your guys to full after every ship makes it really really tough to use boarding. Its possible, I just have to have my own guys die a LOT. The fact that level 3 only heals 25/jump is kind of ridiculous too, I think, it might be better if it healed something like 50 or maybe even at level 3 healed you to full, beacuse its honestly ridiculous to try to use boarding.

If you buy a Med Bay/Cloning Bay, does it replace whatever you have or do you have it in addition to your other system? With the 8 system limit I kind of wish you could delete or replace systems, like I got to the 8 system limit with the Lanius ship but didn't buy cloaking which ended up making me lose the fight to the Flagship.

Anyways, still a great update.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Med bay and cloning are mutually exclusive. Chain laser is ridiciously good and a single one can wreck the flagship with some boarding help.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

ChewyLSB posted:

Man it is like SUPER tough to employ a boarding strategy with a Cloning Bay. One of my runs I did Lanius A on Hard and not being able to heal your guys to full after every ship makes it really really tough to use boarding. Its possible, I just have to have my own guys die a LOT. The fact that level 3 only heals 25/jump is kind of ridiculous too, I think, it might be better if it healed something like 50 or maybe even at level 3 healed you to full, beacuse its honestly ridiculous to try to use boarding.

If you buy a Med Bay/Cloning Bay, does it replace whatever you have or do you have it in addition to your other system? With the 8 system limit I kind of wish you could delete or replace systems, like I got to the 8 system limit with the Lanius ship but didn't buy cloaking which ended up making me lose the fight to the Flagship.

Anyways, still a great update.

My strategy was to mind control their pilot just before my attacks hit their ship, this causes them to have 0 dodge (unless they have upgraded cockpit). Then after they have weakened the pilot just before they lose the mind control teleport them onto your ship where they suffocate (as you have no reason to keep your ship oxygenated). Use this to kill all enemies until you get the teleporter reconstructor, which fully heals your dudes when you teleport. You can still teleport mind controlled people, but they get healed too. Once you have this it becomes much easier.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Yeah so this was pretty much completely unfair for the enemy ships. not pictured is my pair of auto-reloaders and my zoltan shield bypass, thus trivializing the third part.

the only reason my ship looks so bad is I got lazy and stopped moving anyone around.

TacMan fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 20, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Hacking is really useful but the cooldown time is just far too much. The only time I've ever been able to use it more than once in a battle was against the flagship, and even that wasn't long enough for the second cooldown to expire.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What type of mantis ship sends its Engi to teleport while leaving the two killers on repair duty?!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What type of mantis ship sends its Engi to teleport while leaving the two killers on repair duty?!

You maniac, that engi slave was trying to escape!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is ftlwiki.com still the one people are using or has it been replaced? If it's the favorite, it seems kind of hard to believe that nobody's updated it at all since the new content was released.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Engi was probably gold in fighting, and the Manties were gold in shields and repair or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just did a run where the mothership started 2 jumps away from the base. Didn't really matter that I lacked the armament to take it down.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It takes 3 turns to take down the base now. Or maybe that is only on easy?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ah, didn't know that. I expected an immediate loss if it reached the base. I made it to the mothership since it doesn't jump every turn, but it still kicked my rear end anyways.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Flak Artillery, 2 Flak Guns, and a Chain Laser. Would have felt unfair if not due to me beating the first two phases so fast that they had enough crew to beam 6 guys onto my ship and destroy me. If i'd made it one more second I would have won, hard mode is hard.

Flak really should probably be nerfed, i'd say it's by far the best weapon in the game at the moment(haven't seen Flak II yet). 3 projectiles with a very fast reload speed and only taking 2 power is hard to beat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How much damage do you think a zoltan explosion does? I'm afraid of those little jerks now. Seems to be about 15hp afaik.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Somehow, while playing the Zoltan C, I managed to not notice the backup battery for half of the first sector. I thought I had to depower engines and shields just to get enough juice to use my only source of actual damage.

Aside from the fact that it starts with only 2 power in the reactor, the Zoltan C seems very similar to the Engie A. Both of them start with just an ion weapon and an attack drone, except the Zoltan C gets the new "charge ion" that can fire up to a 3-shot burst.

If my math is right, a single charge ion can actually take down any level of shields in the game. An initial burst of three 1-damage ions will leave the shields ioned for 15 seconds, and each single shot after that will take 6 seconds to charge and add 5 seconds to the counter. You'll be able to keep a system ioned for 90 seconds before it finally wears off, and it will have taken out 4 levels of shields at about the halfway point.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How much damage do you think a zoltan explosion does? I'm afraid of those little jerks now. Seems to be about 15hp afaik.

It seemed like more than that when I was having a stupid zoltan-crew-vs-zoltan-boarders fight (thank god for clone bays), but I could be wrong. I know that three of them didn't manage to take out a full-health zoltan, so it's less than 23 damage.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

I just picked this up and is it just me or is this a pretty brutal game? Everything was going fine and then I ran into what appeared to be a sun, along with an enemy ship. My engines were on fire and it eventually got into the O2 room, so in my haste I dumped the air from both rooms. After the fire was gone I finished off the enemy ship, but my first crews last moments were choking to death trying to get oxygen back onto the ship.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Apple2o posted:

I just picked this up and is it just me or is this a pretty brutal game? Everything was going fine and then I ran into what appeared to be a sun, along with an enemy ship. My engines were on fire and it eventually got into the O2 room, so in my haste I dumped the air from both rooms. After the fire was gone I finished off the enemy ship, but my first crews last moments were choking to death trying to get oxygen back onto the ship.

Imagine an FTL version of :xcom: and yeah, that sounds about right! You'll get better at managing those situations with practice and experience and hideous, frequent deaths.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I really appreciate the flagship hacking my weapons first thing in the fight. Everytime it uncloaked, it activated the hacking device, leaving me perpetually unable to get a shot off. If I didn't have a fully upgraded artillery beam I'd probably have died that first round.

As it is I died on the third round, there was nowhere to heal around the flagship.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Apple2o posted:

I just picked this up and is it just me or is this a pretty brutal game? Everything was going fine and then I ran into what appeared to be a sun, along with an enemy ship.

It IS pretty brutal but the first thing to do on a nova sector is to vent everything except necessary rooms (pilot / o2 / maybe medbay and weapons) to space (note that you can doubleclick on the 'open all doors' while paused then close them back one at a time for this). Send extra guys into the rooms that still have air. Fires won't stay lit in a vacuum, so pre-venting limits your exposure. Depending on your layout this can be a huge pain and sometimes you have rooms behind necessary ones that you can't vent, but you just gotta deal with it. You don't want to vent the o2 room because if it gets knocked out while you're in combat and you've vented the rest of the ship that can lose you the game right there -- fixing a room without air isn't fun.

Also if you have no sensors remember that you can spot rooms on fire by the icons in the lower left even if you can't actually see the spaces in the room itself.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 4, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inadequately posted:

As it is I died on the third round, there was nowhere to heal around the flagship.

Even on easy when I can beat the game, FTL has a nasty habit of forcing me to jump to a repair node to get to the other side of the map, then putting the flagship on the other one.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Apple2o posted:

Technically, that's asphyxiating. choking is where you get to the last zone, kill the first 2 stages of the mothership with ease and then still lose to stage 3.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Apple2o posted:

To add onto everyone else getting stuck in a fight at the sun is one of the worst things you can run into in the game. Best tip I can give besides keep playing (and dying) is that spacebar is the pause button. Use the drat pause button. You can adjust power levels, target weapons, open/close doors, and even tell your little guys to run to another room while paused and it's a lifesaver.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
To be honest I find nebula fights where storms drain your power more horrifying. Fire isn't fun but I don't tend to have great experiences with having a lot of my power just docked.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Apple2o posted:

PAUSE!

You can pause the game at any time by hitting the space bar. I'm sorry if you already know this but I didn't at first and it turns the game from complete chaos to something manageable.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Mike the TV posted:

The Engi was probably gold in fighting, and the Manties were gold in shields and repair or something.

I'm pretty sure that the enemy crew will no longer teleport over at low health, even if it means sending over an Engi instead of a Mantis. Not sure if that's the case against ships with a Cloning Bay, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SkySteak posted:

To be honest I find nebula fights where storms drain your power more horrifying. Fire isn't fun but I don't tend to have great experiences with having a lot of my power just docked.

It affects the enemies now too, it used to not, afaik. But I've been finding that encountering enemies in nebula's they will often not have shields etc active.

• Locked thread