Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Had Taker already debuted before his appearance at that Survivor Series? I thought him being the mystery partner was his first.

I think he'd taped some TV matches before Survivor Series, but they hadn't aired yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

I think he'd taped some TV matches before Survivor Series, but they hadn't aired yet.

That's what I thought - how could someone hope that Taker would be the mystery partner when that was his first exposure to the audience? Unless you were in attendance for those tapings.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Maybe I'm just somewhat young and stupid but can somebody explain to me how Linda got to keep all of Hulk's poo poo including his car and house after they divorced? Wasn't all of that because of Hulk or am I missing something that Linda does with her life?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Ty1990 posted:

Maybe I'm just somewhat young and stupid but can somebody explain to me how Linda got to keep all of Hulk's poo poo including his car and house after they divorced? Wasn't all of that because of Hulk or am I missing something that Linda does with her life?

Pretend you didn't ask this and run away

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ty1990 posted:

Alimony is a complicated thing and judges have a lot of power in deciding just who gets what/how much.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Its because Hulk Hogan is a tremendous piece of poo poo

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Multi-Level Marketing. It's Mary Kay party poo poo, you agree to buy a hugely expensive "starter pack" of some average or slightly above average product, then try to sell it to your friends (at exorbitant prices) to make your money back. poo poo takes over people's lives but they keep buying more and more packs because the MLM company operates like a self-help/motivational speech tour and convinces people it's their one shot to be rich. And also because the constant attempts to sell overpriced stuff to their friends drives off all the person's friends not associated with the product.

God, the latest craze of this kind of poo poo is these bullshit It Works weight loss wraps. Like a dozen of my friends won't shut up about them on Facebook.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

cuz hogan is super rich and can just buy another huge house and cars (he already has)

chinesemethdragon
Sep 6, 2009
Would Hogan tease a heel turn on the regular in WCW prior to nWo? I was watching World War 3 on the network from 95 and he's in all black and then switches his gear to the red and yellow.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, somewhere in the Dungeon of Doom feud he goes "NOW I'M UNLEASHING THE DARK SIDE OF HULKAMANIA BROTHER" or somesuch. And then he stopped.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, somewhere in the Dungeon of Doom feud he goes "NOW I'M UNLEASHING THE DARK SIDE OF HULKAMANIA BROTHER" or somesuch. And then he stopped.

It wasn't a heel turn or anything, though. He was still Hulk Hogan, but wearing black instead of red & yellow. It would be like if Cena said he would show Bray Wyatt his dark side and just, wrestled exactly how he always did, but this time he wore black jorts.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

He also shaved his mustache around that time, which looked super weird.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

It wasn't a heel turn or anything, though. He was still Hulk Hogan, but wearing black instead of red & yellow. It would be like if Cena said he would show Bray Wyatt his dark side and just, wrestled exactly how he always did, but this time he wore black jorts.

On the other hand, the hilarity of his promos went up by a few notches once he got into that Dungeon of Doom feud and became Darkside Hogan. In the span of a year we got "the rare white bengal tiger", "it's not hot!", Big Show as Andre's son (complete with monster truck sumo and falling off buildings), and "the internet's got the scoops".

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Diabolik900 posted:

His face is so flat and weird. That's the face of a man tailor-made to always have some kind of facial hair.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Disgusting Coward posted:

Also, who was the dude who would show up doing squash matches sometimes on early-to-mid 90s WWF? Really buff Asian dude with a coolie hat and writing all over him who would do massively stiff kicks and a ton of handstands and stuff. I remember being terrified of him as a child.

To add on to GWH's answer, he wrestles primarily in Japan as Jinsei Shinzaki, but also did a few matches under that name in ECW and Chikara. He's had a really good career. Ditch can hook you up with his best stuff, but this is a neat little rarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2swfqkMm44Q

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
It's weird to me how Shinzaki started off with amazing momentum coming into the WWF, considering he was feuding with Bret Hart early on. Then all of a sudden he loses to Barry Horowitz and forms a horrible face tag team with him, eventually just disappearing. I was glad to see him work a match at ECW and see he was still performing solidly in Japan via Youtube years later.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 4, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think his last WWF match ended with being branded by Bradshaw, so yeah.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Seriously. "Toronto, Canada." For loving years.

Didn't expect Karagias to be the answer, when the other guy is Moore, but I remember nothing but the dude's name.

e: wrong thread

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I think his last WWF match ended with being branded by Bradshaw, so yeah.

Yeah, and then the next week or a week later, they announced he'd been so ashamed to lose to Bradshaw and get branded that he asked for his release.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Blasmeister posted:

I heard that this might have been a condition the Caesar's Palace guys put on WWF - anyone know about this?

WWF put out a book around/after WM2000 were they stated that it was Caesar's who wanted Hogan to leave with the belt.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody can touch Jason Sensation.

Actually, too many people did, and that's why he quit.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Which episode of Raw has an audience member audibly yell "kill yourself" in the middle of a Beefcake promo?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

ZDar Fan posted:

Which episode of Raw has an audience member audibly yell "kill yourself" in the middle of a Beefcake promo?

The one where he came back in early 1993.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Actually, too many people did, and that's why he quit.
:drat:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

ZDar Fan posted:

Episode 4, I believe.

Somewhat related question. So, Hulk comes back to win the WWF Title at Wrestlemania 9, then his next title match is at King of the Ring, where he loses the belt back to Yokozuna. Then he leaves WWF for WCW. What is the point? I don't even know if he had a televised match between the two.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

ZDar Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lDXfdafwQ

About 4 minutes, 30 seconds in.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Thanks to you and Hockles! Almost as funny is when they inexplicably cut to an old man in the audience enthusiastically picking his nose.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

Similarly I've always laughed when a guy loses and attacks the winner post-match, and after a certain amount of time the attacker's music starts playing.

I like to imagine the idea is either that maybe the attacker will get confused, think that they won after all and leave..... or that the guy who operates the music wasn't paying attention and assumes that the guy beating up the other guy must have won the match and he's late to play his music.

That, and an unexpected surprise return seems to take over the Titantron and PA system the second said return crosses the threshold from Gorilla position. Like the set is sentient and detects when someone important is nearby.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Cena beating Rey for the title same night he won it is way worse. He took the title from a beloved face who's way smaller than he is. Bret was incapacitated and Hogan beat a heel who's huge and Japanese. Also, Hogan already wrestled at WM9 whereas Cena was fresh.

While not for the title nor at Wrestlemania, I'd also call it a self-serving dick move for Cena to book the ending of the Team Cena vs Nexus match to be him recovering from a concrete DDT and coming back to beat two Nexus members during a feud that was supposed to make them into a massive threat. This is further represented by Jericho and Edge both telling him it was a stupid idea for him to go over, and Cena immediately realizing after the match that it was indeed a stupid idea for him to go over. Even though they followed it up with Cena "joining" Nexus, it essentially killed them as a threat and Barrett was no longer taken seriously as a main event player.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Of all things, I really hate what that did to Justin Gabriel since they'd been booking him as a straight up killer prior to that, and ever since he's spent years on end barely being on TV.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

That, and an unexpected surprise return seems to take over the Titantron and PA system the second said return crosses the threshold from Gorilla position. Like the set is sentient and detects when someone important is nearby.

The old Jakks Pacific Titantron set taught me how this works: each wrestler has a special chip in their foot that activates their music when they cross through the Gorilla position.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sticklefifer posted:

How does that explain HBK's Montreal promo with the Bret Hart tease? :colbert:

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Is Wrestlemania IX the 'Mania with the most bullshit finishes? I'm watching it for the first time since it aired, and its crap reputation is well-earned.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

oatgan posted:

Its because Hulk Hogan is a tremendous piece of poo poo

Who knows what to believe but Hogan cheating on Linda was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I did just see part of KC's 1989 WWF timeline and good grief is Brutus Beefcake ever bitter.

Maybe that's because the Barber gimmick he hated so much was the most he'd ever been over.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Jason Sextro posted:

I did just see part of KC's 1989 WWF timeline and good grief is Brutus Beefcake ever bitter.

Maybe that's because the Barber gimmick he hated so much was the most he'd ever been over.

He's had enough gimmicks for half a dozen wrestlers. It's honestly quite a sight to behold.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Diabolik900 posted:

Can I get more John Cleese as Hulk Hogan please?

The resemblance is striking.

And Now, for something completely different, I'm getting my win back.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Jason Sextro posted:

"Before I was the barber, I was just Brutus Beefcake, hottest heel in the business, greatest thing since sliced bread, a household name....then they wanted me to be a barber."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

cucka posted:

Can I get more John Cleese as Hulk Hogan please?

The resemblance is striking.

And Now, for something completely different, I'm getting my win back.

He should have done a silly walk across the ring before dropping the leg instead of running.

A missed opportunity.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hockles posted:

How does that explain HBK's Montreal promo with the Bret Hart tease? :colbert:

The theory doesn't preclude people in the ring having friends in the truck.

Or like on a recent Raw in Chicago, where Paul Heyman stole CM Punk's shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I noticed in the gif thread that Ambrose used the jawbreaker lariat... has he been doing it for a while? I don't get to watch wwe tv very often and I didn't notice him doing it in PPVs.