Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Anyone who thinks accelerationism is a good idea should keep an eye on North Carolina.

Ugh, I am so tired of my state being in the news for being a regressive hellhole. There is so much to love about my home, but our Gerrymandered to hell and back again Districts and Art Pope really make me question my decision to stay here.

edit-I mean seriously look at this poo poo:

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Zombie Samurai posted:

Anyone who thinks accelerationism is a good idea should keep an eye on North Carolina.

HELP US PLEASE

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Accelerationism practiced by the left is such a recurring theme, despite the fact that you can point to a decade of evidence in recent history that things getting bad just makes Americans super-receptive to whatever regressive shitbug comes along pushing a "more money for me, gently caress you" agenda.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I mean how is Wisconsin doing?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

To me it feels like we are having acceleration-ism thrust upon us by a combination of the way our congress works and conservative lawsuits working their way up to the Supreme Court.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Lest anyone forget how awful Third Way Democrats can be, here's a story about Rahm Emmanuel diverting pension money to private interests and using the budget shortfalls to try to crush the public sector.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Swan Oat posted:

Lest anyone forget how awful Third Way Democrats can be, here's a story about Rahm Emmanuel diverting pension money to private interests and using the budget shortfalls to try to crush the public sector.

Add this into why we are getting acceleration whether we want it or not. When the democrats (admittedly the worst ones but still) are doing extreme economically conservative shenanigans what chance do we have?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Swan Oat posted:

poo poo like this is why he is down 8 points against Toni Preckwinkle

http://www.illinoisobserver.net/2014/03/31/poll-toni-preckwinkle-leads-rahm-emanuel-8-points-2015-mayors-race/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#story/os-jeb-bush-talks-2016-on-fox-news-20140404/

Jeb gonna talk running in 2016 with Fox on Sunday

I'm gonna talk this country's prospects with a bottle of bourbon on Sunday

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Radish posted:

To me it feels like we are having acceleration-ism thrust upon us by a combination of the way our congress works and conservative lawsuits working their way up to the Supreme Court.

Yeah, at this point I've given up on accelerationism as an ethos because not only is it unrealistic and counter-intuitive, it's redundant. The country's not climbing out of this hole and the sides just keep getting steeper.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

LorneReams posted:

I mean how is Wisconsin doing?

Not as good as Minnesota. :smug:

1.2 Billion dollar surplus. http://www.twincities.com/ci_25491028/minnesota-house-taps-state-surplus-another-322-million

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Corrupt Politician posted:

I've been thinking about the possible consequences of this year's elections, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a net good in the long run for the GOP to take the senate in 2014 by a slim margin. If the Dems manage to narrowly hold their majority, the next two years will basically go the same as the last two, with both parties falling in public opinion. Worst of all, as the party not in power, Republicans can continue to criticize without having to actually govern or vote on workable solutions.

On the other hand, a GOP house and senate would be an even bigger shitshow, with the possibility of more shutdowns, debt ceiling fights, maybe an impeachment hearing, perhaps an extremely visible supreme court nomination fight. The focus for 2016 would shift from the stalemated "do-nothing congress" to how terribly the Republicans have overreached with their thin majority, and how incapable they are of actually governing and working with the president. And in 2016 the Dems will almost certainly take back the senate.

If your goal is to keep Republicans out of power, then obviously you don't want them winning ever. Beyond that, a win for the GOP signals to donors that their money is well-spent which makes more people eager to get involved, while making Democratic donors leery of 2016. The reverse is true as well; Democrats retaining the Senate boosts confidence and makes 2016 an easier sell.

Madmarker posted:

Ugh, I am so tired of my state being in the news for being a regressive hellhole. There is so much to love about my home, but our Gerrymandered to hell and back again Districts and Art Pope really make me question my decision to stay here.

NC was gerrymandered to poo poo back when Dems controlled the General Assembly and thought they'd never lose control over it. It's not so much the problem as the fact the state Democratic party might as well not exist since they're still tearing themselves apart over some real minor pissing contest bullshit. Also after this year only a couple GOP congressmen from the state will have any seniority, the rest are all in their first or second terms, plus two more (6th and 7th districts) will be freshmen next year. So it's not as if they can do that much damage anyway beyond adding pork to bills.

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

Ashcans posted:

The idea only really works if republicans win a majority, but enough of those people are complete fringe nutjobs that won't even cooperate with their own party.

This is the outcome I was picturing, where the GOP majority is slim enough that there's always a Ted Cruz or two to muck up the establishment's plans and force them to reach out to the Democrats for votes, which is what happened in the shutdown and debt ceiling fights. However, as you pointed out, that's not the only possible scenario, and it would indeed get scary if the GOP manages to unify and Obama decides to Grand Bargain us all to hell.

I fully admit I was wrong and accelerationism is a bad plan.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Zombie Samurai posted:

I don't think it is a good idea, I just think that a lot of people have given up and don't know what else to do. You look at the billions and billions of dollars flooding into politics, the Supreme Court's hilariously out-of-touch with reality decisions, the rich taking more and more of what little everyone has left with no signs of stopping and it feels like you're a person stacking grains of sand to stop a tsunami. So why not just step aside and let the tsunami just wash everything away?

Of course, the problem with that is the tsunami is basically going to kill everyone you're trying to save since they're the most vulnerable. You're also hoping the assholes get washed away with it and nothing worse will replace it. And you have to hope you don't drown in the process. Even then, there might not be anything to rebuild. It is an ultimately self-defeating prospect and basically learned helplessness. I sympathize with the feeling though, since I really don't know what to do. I live in the liberal North and can't really afford to do much but vote.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper Dan posted:

I don't think it is a good idea, I just think that a lot of people have given up and don't know what else to do. You look at the billions and billions of dollars flooding into politics, the Supreme Court's hilariously out-of-touch with reality decisions, the rich taking more and more of what little everyone has left with no signs of stopping and it feels like you're a person stacking grains of sand to stop a tsunami. So why not just step aside and let the tsunami just wash everything away?

Of course, the problem with that is the tsunami is basically going to kill everyone you're trying to save since they're the most vulnerable. You're also hoping the assholes get washed away with it and nothing worse will replace it. And you have to hope you don't drown in the process. Even then, there might not be anything to rebuild. It is an ultimately self-defeating prospect and basically learned helplessness. I sympathize with the feeling though, since I really don't know what to do. I live in the liberal North and can't really afford to do much but vote.
Well the best conclusion I can get is that a lot of these people don't give a hot piss in a tin pot for any of the people who their precious acceleration was supposed to harm. That or they've gotten hooked on electoral despair the way some of the RWNM people have gotten hooked on rage at the LIBS

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mo_Steel posted:

Seriously, his stuff looks at least as good as some court artist work:

I'll always have a soft spot for the Blago trial though.

:allears:

Courtroom art looks better because it's not creepy.

Dude painted a picture of himself looking at himself in a mirror in a shower. The portrait is painted from behind as though the viewer is a prison rapist and he's the bitch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Double post, my apologies.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The only good thing I can think of is that because we WILL keep the presidency for the foreseeable future, the Supreme Court will EVENTUALLY shift back. Eventually.

Until then... pain.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Iunnrais posted:

The only good thing I can think of is that because we WILL keep the presidency for the foreseeable future, the Supreme Court will EVENTUALLY shift back. Eventually.

Until then... pain.
I really wish one of the Conservatives on the bench would just die already.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Madmarker posted:

What the hell is that gray area? Do politicians from that area have to engage in weekly civil war reenactments and regularly dress for confederate cosplay; you can only get elected here if your wardrobe is exclusively butternut and riding boots, bonus points for those on the Southern Poverty Law Center's watch list?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

Well get out there and start looking for Scalia's phylactery, already.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\\/\
drat YOU

JT Jag posted:

You will just have to find their phylactery and destroy it. We all know evil liches are immortal in their undeath otherwise.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Unfortunately his phylactery is the original copy of the US constitution.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Honestly I think Thomas and Alito are both bigger problems than Scalia. Scalia catches a lot of heat for being a giant dick, but at least he thinks out his arguments. Meanwhile Thomas' jurisprudence hasn't evolved since the gilded age and Alito is one of the biggest partisan shills the court has ever seen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

UberJew posted:

Then we must roll, and smoke, a giant blunt using that Constitution.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Too slow on the draw, Madmarker, too slow on the draw :clint:

UberJew posted:

Darn, I was hoping it'd be something like Cheney's, which Tuxedo Catfish once described thusly

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Cheney the Deathless made a pact with the devil to gain eternal life. What remains of his soul is hidden inside in a dollar bill, which is inside of a wallet made from human skin, in the pocket of a millionaire, who lives in a house in a gated community, on the Isle of Buyan.

If the house is taxed, the millionaire will flee. If the millionaire is arrested for tax evasion, the dollar will be hidden in an offshore account. If the account is seized, the money will be laundered. Anyone else possessing the dollar will cause Cheney to suddenly weaken, and he can only be destroyed by donating the dollar to feed the homeless.

JT Jag posted:

Honestly I think Thomas and Alito are both bigger problems than Scalia. Scalia catches a lot of heat for being a giant dick, but at least he thinks out his arguments. Meanwhile Thomas' jurisprudence hasn't evolved since the gilded age and Alito is one of the biggest partisan shills the court has ever seen.

Yeah, but neither of them is old enough for the lich joke to really work.

Nessus posted:

Then we must roll, and smoke, a giant blunt using that Constitution.

Obama tried that already, in a heroic bid to rid us of Scalia. Didn't work, unfortunately.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Courtroom art looks better because it's not creepy.

Dude painted a picture of himself looking at himself in a mirror in a shower. The portrait is painted from behind as though the viewer is a prison rapist and he's the bitch.

Wait, isn't the reflection in the mirror supposed to be of me, the shower-voyeur? The mirror is pointed directly at the viewer, it can't be Bush's reflection.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Who made that? It's great.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

Volunteer. Building the organization is way more useful than about anything else you can do.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know what a "phylactery" is, is it like a horcrux?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Did that gallery include those paintings where Bush obsesses over personal hygiene? That's honestly my favorite part of his hobby. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't know what a "phylactery" is, is it like a horcrux?
Aye, same idea

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

Unfortunately while Scalia is merely a lich Thomas is a mask of Nyarlathotep, who in his boundless malice cackles with glee as each touch of forsaken ink to tortured parchment brings about immeasurable suffering with the slightest of effort and malign will. He sleeps through oral arguments only to contain his hideous laughter, that shatters all illusions of ordered reason and brings about a malaise, a despair so deep and dark that none who have heard it have ever lived long enough to speak of the experience to another.

Alito's just as rear end in a top hat, though.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

JT Jag posted:

You're giving Scalia too much credit. This is the justice who wrote in his dissent in Brown v. Plata:

quote:

There comes before us, now and then, a case whose proper outcome is so clearly indicated by tradition and common sense, that its decision ought to shape the law, rather than vice versa. One would think that, before allowing the decree of a federal district court to release 46,000 convicted felons, this Court would bend every effort to read the law in such a way as to avoid that outrageous result.

This is Scalia openly admonishing the court for following the law rather than settling on "gently caress what the law says, I know better".

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Man I hope that holds, Rahm is such a huge piece of poo poo I seriously can't think of a worse democrat.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Iunnrais posted:

Until then... pain.

Now I'm imaging a scenario in which Hillary Clinton wins in 2016 and 2020, but all the conservative justices manage to cling to life until January 2025 when President Marco Rubio can replace them all at once. (Scalia will turn 89 in 2025, I wouldn't put this past him)

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 4, 2014

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Personally I'm throwing a party on the days Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas die. Although to be fair, they'll both probably die on the same day like in all of those stories about couples that have been married a really long time.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

UberJew posted:

Unfortunately while Scalia is merely a lich Thomas is a mask of Nyarlathotep, who in his boundless malice cackles with glee as each touch of forsaken ink to tortured parchment brings about immeasurable suffering with the slightest of effort and malign will. He sleeps through oral arguments only to contain his hideous laughter, that shatters all illusions of ordered reason and brings about a malaise, a despair so deep and dark that none who have heard it have ever lived long enough to speak of the experience to another.

Dare not wake the dreamer:

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
Ted Cruz posts "Quick Poll" on Facebook about whether or not Americans are better off now with the ACA. It doesn't go exactly the way he planned.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorTedCruz/posts/517779935000978

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

peter banana posted:

Ted Cruz posts "Quick Poll" on Facebook about whether or not Americans are better off now with the ACA. It doesn't go exactly the way he planned.

That is beautiful.

I run my own business and the ACA seriously saved my rear end. I was quoted around $550 a month for 12 months with ZERO coverage, and then after a year I could get coverage once my costs once again went up, and I would pay ridiculous co-pays. Also my out of pocket was basically everything. I didn't even know what I was getting and Anthem wouldn't even tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

peter banana posted:

I want to bookmark this and read it every day.

• Locked thread