Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

himajinga posted:

Yes, but it sounds identical, right? I can get the Deluxe for $100 which is what the regulars go for used around here. If it sounds identical then I'm gonna snag it.

Same sound, go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I've been trying to master knocking on heavens door via rocksmith but I really suck at the slidey bits.
I guess getting it down after a week of playing was a bit too optimistic. I can do all the other bits somewhat decently, but the slidey bits and the two or three notes after them keep screwing me up.
I also need to learn not to look at what fret I am.

Also, I'm having major trouble trying to play with the pick, if I play any other string except E I don't know where the gently caress I am.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You just need some focused practice - any time there's something you struggle with, just drill it for a while, preferably to a metronome.

With the slides, you can just do them over and over until your muscle memory starts to get the movement down, and it sounds better. This is the kind of thing you can do while you watch TV, like a mini workout.

When you're ready to tackle the song, get in riff repeater and keep slowing it down by 5% until you get a speed you can comfortably handle, that gives you enough time to prepare for the tricky notes. Turn off auto speedup and just play it over and over. Don't be afraid to look at your hands while you're building coordination, and once you have it down, speed up by 5% and work at that.

Same for picking really, there are games to help but really you need an exercise drill to develop the basic chops. One I like is where you pick a starting string, then you alternate picking that string and every other one, working your way outwards and back. So say you start on the low E (red), you'd go
E (red) A (yellow),
E (red) D (blue),
E (red) G (orange),
E (red) B (green),
E (red) e (purple), and then back

E (red) B (green),
E (red) G (orange)...

Then you'd start with the next string as your base (A, yellow) and go A E, A D, A G... you're basically sweeping out from your start string in one direction, then back, then sweeping out the other way and back. You end up hitting every possible jump from one string to another. Do this in front of the TV too! Your arm just needs to get used to the distances.

And you should be alternate picking as well, for serious. Downpick your 'base' string, and an upstroke for the one that follows. Down up down up down up at all times. You can start with an upstroke later if you like, so the pattern is reversed (get both situations down) but get in the alternate picking habit

e- oops bass thread, still you get the idea

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 4, 2014

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks man, I'll try that. Haven't been picking that much since just using fingers is so much easier.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah you need to drill it and build the muscle memory, especially if you have an easier way beckoning you. I don't tend to use a pick on bass, but when I do I'm picky about the kind I use, so it might be worth trying out a few styles to see if one works better for you. The way it interacts with the strings can make a big difference

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

organburner posted:

Thanks man, I'll try that. Haven't been picking that much since just using fingers is so much easier.

You know Rocksmith doesn't force you to use a pick on bass (or even play the exact fret, you can transpose to your hearts desire (because some of Rocksmith's fret positions are wrong (I'm looking at you 'Run to the Hills'))), if you want to pluck, pluck :)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm trying to think of some fast pick players and am drawing a blank...fast fingerstyle players for sure - Jeff Berlin, Hadrien Feraud, Juan Alderate, Adam Nitti, Billy Sheehan. There must be some metal or prog dudes that are technically adept and play with a pick.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm trying to think of some fast pick players and am drawing a blank...fast fingerstyle players for sure - Jeff Berlin, Hadrien Feraud, Juan Alderate, Adam Nitti, Billy Sheehan. There must be some metal or prog dudes that are technically adept and play with a pick.

Chris Squire of Yes is fairly fast.

Also you missed Steve Harris from your list of fast finger style players.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsLhT2qRv4I

I quite like Joe Lester's tone in Intronaut.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I play very fast with a pick, but came to bass after years on guitar, doing alternate picking and sweep picking exercises. I'm nowhere near as good playing with fingers.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Actuary X posted:

I play very fast with a pick, but came to bass after years on guitar, doing alternate picking and sweep picking exercises. I'm nowhere near as good playing with fingers.

I found that too at first but now using a pick is really harder than using only my fingers.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I bounced back and forth between fingers and pick for a while and for a while have been trying to stay fingers only but lately I've been using a pick more and more. I think I finally figured out my preferred picks (REALLY thick ones) and the best way to attack the strings with it. I recorded a couple songs this week and I used a pick for 100% of both songs even though I mostly play them with my fingers at rehearsal/live. I just got so much more punch and clarity with the pick. If I could get that with my fingers I totally would, but it is a lot of fun to thwack your strings with a sweet distorted tone (there's a reason I posted Nate Newton a couple posts up, haha).

I play metal and punk stuff, if I played something else this post would probably have a different story.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Matt Freeman from Rancid used a pick and that dude can rip

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah the pick seems to bring a much clearer, sharper tone which is why I want to learn to use it better. Still not that good at using my fingers either though, I figure they're better when you want a softer tone like playing jazz.
Blitzkrieg bop is also hell on my fingers when not using a pick.

For whatever reason I got a pack of identical picks when I bought my bass and they're all really thin. Why they gave me 5 identical bass picks I don't know. I used to have a thick one that one day had appeared in my apartment but I don't know where it went. Need to see if I could find it, see if it feels better than these thin ones (they feel slightly thinner than a credit card)

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Yes, you want a stiff pick. I use the purple Dunlop Tortex picks, which are 1.14 mm.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I use the orange ones. Not sure on the thickness.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I finger my bass.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Came to bass from guitar. It's still taking some time to build speed with the fingers, even though I started with classical fingerstyle guitar.

Maybe there's more tonal possibilities with the fingers, but there's a certain type of attack that you can only get with the pick.

In summary, do whatever the gently caress you want.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Picks are good for palm muting and playing on the bridge, but when you start bringing up sweep picking and other guitar techniques, I'm reminded that upstrokes are nowhere near as powerful as downstrokes in bass, and you're going to lose your notes. That's why every hardcore band I see has a bassist who's hand is a flurry of downstroking plecs, bordering on admirable and ridiculous. Great show of speed and stamina, but you're eventually going to look like Danny Bonaduce.

I still keep a 1.26mm and a 3.0mm around in case my hands get tired.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I really like Dunlop 1.0mm Max Grip Nylons on Bass and 6 String. It doesn't mean I don't experiment with a hundred others. I just keep coming back to them.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
I don't really use a pick much anymore, but Herco nylon .75mm were my default. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/herco-flex-75 I'm not sure why, but they feel great to me, and are pretty durable

Maybe someone should page Agreed to this thread to lay down some pick knowledge on us.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Ericadia posted:

I don't really use a pick much anymore, but Herco nylon .75mm were my default. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/herco-flex-75 I'm not sure why, but they feel great to me, and are pretty durable

Maybe someone should page Agreed to this thread to lay down some pick knowledge on us.

Agreed still has yet to deliver on a pick megathread, and I have so many questions to ask about V-Picks.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
On the rare occasion I do use a pick, it's a crazy oversized pick - almost as big as a 50 cent piece. I don't remember the brand or thickness and it's currently buried in a box, but I got it from a Ted Nugent show. That man is quite something...

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Jazz III's are the only good pick for bass and nothing will convince me otherwise. :colbert:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Biggest V-Pick + good clean free ringing action

Makes you feel like a god wielding a sonic weapon

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kilometers Davis posted:

Biggest V-Pick + good clean free ringing action

Makes you feel like a god wielding a sonic weapon

The true hammer of the gods is a P-bass through an SVT with an 8x10 or similar. Method of sounding it is irrelevant.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Out of the dozen or so V-Picks that I've tried, I like the Psycho best for bass, with the Snake Pointed coming in second. V-picks are a lot tougher than standard picks, but they do wear down eventually, so the three-pointed designs seem to me to be the best value.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Scarf posted:

The true hammer of the gods is a P-bass through an SVT with an 8x10 or similar. Method of sounding it is irrelevant.

I really need to get a P-Bass someday. It would tear poo poo up through my TH500.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Quit my band today after a heated argument with my singer last night. One can only take so much abuse before the music isn't fun anymore, you know? But anyway, it's been a long time since I've been on a search for a band to play with. How do you all go about it? Any red flags to look out for? Most of my connections already have bassists, so I'll be looking for new people (which makes me nervous).

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Convince the rest of the band to ditch the singer instead? :v:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Digital Jesus posted:

Convince the rest of the band to ditch the singer instead? :v:

Hahaha, she and the guitarist are founding members/best friends. It wasn't a very rosy band relationship anyway, and it feels legit good to be out (even though I've already heard some poo poo talking through the grape vine :( )

I just genuinely enjoy playing in a band, and want to get right back to it asap

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

So my resident luthier has informed me that the Fender 1999 Mexican Jazz I'm using currently no longer has any turns in its truss rod, so I guess if/when the neck warps in any way, that's curtains? It's provoked me to consider buying another bass, but having three basses is overkill. My other course of action would be to get a Fender after-market neck to replace it, maybe just solid maple this time. I could also stand to replace the Mexican pickups, which have rusted a bit, with some Bartolinis that are properly wound.

What I'm wondering is if it's worth it to renovate an old Mexican Fender or to just ditch it when it's done and move on?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you like everything about the guitar when it's working then I would go for the neck. If it's just a guitar for the moment go have a blast and find something that really appeals to you right now.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you like everything about the guitar when it's working then I would go for the neck. If it's just a guitar for the moment go have a blast and find something that really appeals to you right now.

Basically what he said. Sell the body/guitar on eBay and buy something you really dig.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Trick Guitar Center into giving you $150 for it.

Ericadia posted:

Quit my band today after a heated argument with my singer last night. One can only take so much abuse before the music isn't fun anymore, you know? But anyway, it's been a long time since I've been on a search for a band to play with. How do you all go about it? Any red flags to look out for? Most of my connections already have bassists, so I'll be looking for new people (which makes me nervous).

See if there are any local musician groups in your area on Facebook, ask friends if they know of any musicians who are also looking, other bands you've played with/know about. Stuff like that. There's always Craigslist, but that is usually much more Miss than Hit. Even though my current band assembled through CL and is actually working out really well, we're the exception.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ericadia posted:

Looking for a band sucks. Start one yourself. That way you can set the tone, what you play and people start to come to you. Note, get at least one other dude in on this first that way the whole band thing is less of an idea and more of a substantial thing. Remember any of the dudes you played the same show with? Ask if any one is looking for something new. Go to shows and talk to dudes because there's going to be dudes who are musicians who are in between bands.

This is just personal experience though and could totally be different with your situation. Where I am at bands can pick up and dissolve like crazy because the city is super lovely and hates music.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Ericadia posted:

I had something similar happen about 6 weeks ago with my band. Singer/guitarist was being a huge flake and didn't like being asked to clarify if he's going to be coming or going. It blew up a couple weeks before our last show.

I've already had a couple people ask me if I'm looking around for anything. I have no idea what I want to get involved with after playing the same sort of garage rock for the past three years. That's the part that bugs me the most.

As far as red flags go, just going on the basis of the singer/guitarist that blew things up, I would tell you to avoid people who are:

-serious about being a musician and unable to play their instrument
-unable to name the notes on the E string of their guitar without referring to fret number
-describe the genre of their music as teetering on the edge of falling apart, in a wholly new genre
-considers recording unable to capture the vibe of the music because because of ephemeral intangible moments

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Scarf posted:

See if there are any local musician groups in your area on Facebook, ask friends if they know of any musicians who are also looking, other bands you've played with/know about. Stuff like that. There's always Craigslist, but that is usually much more Miss than Hit. Even though my current band assembled through CL and is actually working out really well, we're the exception.

Looking around, I already found 5 musician groups for my city, good tip!

Stravinsky posted:

Looking for a band sucks. Start one yourself. That way you can set the tone, what you play and people start to come to you. Note, get at least one other dude in on this first that way the whole band thing is less of an idea and more of a substantial thing. Remember any of the dudes you played the same show with? Ask if any one is looking for something new. Go to shows and talk to dudes because there's going to be dudes who are musicians who are in between bands.

This is just personal experience though and could totally be different with your situation. Where I am at bands can pick up and dissolve like crazy because the city is super lovely and hates music.

I have considered this, since I do enjoy writing music. This was actually a point of tension in my last band, I preferred to write out an entire song myself, because I had a vision of what I wanted the song to be, and they wanted to write songs collaboratively. I stopped writing songs for that band because they'd just needlessly change parts of my song just so they could say they contributed something. I'm okay with change for improvement, but change for the sake of change? No way.

The only problem I see with starting my own band is I don't think I have enough personal friends to be able to draw a real crowd, you know? My old singer was little miss popular and the majority of our regular crowd were her friends.

Doomy posted:

-serious about being a musician and unable to play their instrument
-unable to name the notes on the E string of their guitar without referring to fret number
-describe the genre of their music as teetering on the edge of falling apart, in a wholly new genre
-considers recording unable to capture the vibe of the music because because of ephemeral intangible moments

:lol: My old singer fits at least two of those.

My other thought was preparing some solo performance pieces and hitting up an open mic night, show off my skills etc. Because, now that I think about it, I've never seen a bassist perform at an open mic, usually just singer-songwriters (ugh) and guitar shredders. Maybe some Rush or something.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Ericadia posted:

The only problem I see with starting my own band is I don't think I have enough personal friends to be able to draw a real crowd, you know? My old singer was little miss popular and the majority of our regular crowd were her friends.

If the problem is being able to sell enough tickets to not get screwed by a venue then there are other options. Depending on where you are there are local band showcases, diy spaces, parties, community centers, parks, the street, and events set up by other bands/people. Start talking to people in bands or are at events. People you do not already know. You don't have to be friends with them or anything (totally do though), but they will know whats going on if stuff is happening and will reach out to you to let you know. Or set stuff up yourself.

If the problem is you do not want to play to three people and the sound guy, gently caress you and crawl out of your rear end. Play your loving heart out to those dudes, jump off stage have a beer and hang out because they will be real with you and crowd size (or lack there of) means poo poo its about music. People will come eventually if you make good music anyway.

Ericadia posted:

I have considered this, since I do enjoy writing music. This was actually a point of tension in my last band, I preferred to write out an entire song myself, because I had a vision of what I wanted the song to be, and they wanted to write songs collaboratively. I stopped writing songs for that band because they'd just needlessly change parts of my song just so they could say they contributed something. I'm okay with change for improvement, but change for the sake of change? No way.

If I have not sounded like an rear end in a top hat yet, this is probably where I am going to. After about a week, take a good long hard look at that whole band situation and really ask yourself if it was you or the other dudes who were assholes. Like just what you posted seems like they had a dynamic going (everyone works on a song) and you were changing it. It could turn out you were an rear end in a top hat, or they were, or possibly everyone involved because no one understands each other completely or whatever. Its useful because there are times where I hosed poo poo up because your in the moment and making music can be a very personal thing so your judgement is clouded and so you have an idea of what to avoid next time. For example: I hate playing other people's music and I will not learn my parts if I am made to do so. So I avoid bands that do covers or joining bands where I am literally just treated as a replacement for the last dude where the want me to play the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
played infront of three people before. only as bad as you make it.