Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Is Horik, being a king, higher in "rank" than Ragnar? Can't he just order Ragnar to do something? Why is he not sitting in his hall somewhere with his men around him protecting him instead of going off to Kattegat and England basically by himself?

Or am I way off base and a king where Horik is from is equivalent to an Earl in other Viking lands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
As far as I understood he's kind of a higher level Earl (Jarl) with more land and people, but his kingdom neighbors Ragnar's lands, Ragnar isn't his subject.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Gyges posted:

Is there anything Viking legally keeping Lagertha from becoming the new Earl of drunk idiot's lands?

Read her Wikipedia entry.

I have to admit I'm looking forward to how they do the blood eagle. I've always thought that was the most visually beautiful torture-death ever devised.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Beautiful? :stare:

But yes I'm curious as to how much they can get away with, in terms of violence and gore. I doubt they will be showing much. Severed heads and eye stabbings are one thing, cracking open someone's ribcage and pulling their lungs out then rubbing salt in the wounds is a whole different level.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

marktheando posted:

Beautiful? :stare:

But yes I'm curious as to how much they can get away with, in terms of violence and gore. I doubt they will be showing much. Severed heads and eye stabbings are one thing, cracking open someone's ribcage and pulling their lungs out then rubbing salt in the wounds is a whole different level.

If you've ever seen any werewolf movie ever they could do the ribcage burst quite well, the whole blood thing and the lungs is another matter entirely

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

No More Heroes posted:

If you've ever seen any werewolf movie ever they could do the ribcage burst quite well, the whole blood thing and the lungs is another matter entirely

I don't doubt the effect is technically possible to do on screen, I was thinking more about tv network limits on grotesque violence.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

life is killing me posted:

Is Horik, being a king, higher in "rank" than Ragnar? Can't he just order Ragnar to do something? Why is he not sitting in his hall somewhere with his men around him protecting him instead of going off to Kattegat and England basically by himself?

Or am I way off base and a king where Horik is from is equivalent to an Earl in other Viking lands?

Probably shouldn't read too much into the titles used. Why is Ragnar an earl and Borg (what kind of name is Borg anyway?) a jarl?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Estraysian posted:

(what kind of name is Borg anyway?)

Sounds Swedish.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Tighclops posted:

Sounds Swedish.

Maybe it does, though I've never met anyone with the given name Borg.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Estraysian posted:

Maybe it does, though I've never met anyone with the given name Borg.

There was Bjorn Borg, the tennis player.

E: you said given name, I'm a dolt.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Phy posted:

There was Bjorn Borg, the tennis player.

Sure. And there are a whole lot of other Borgs today, but Vikings didn't have surnames.

E: It's not a big deal I suppose, it just sounds weird to me that there's a guy named Jarl Borg.

Estraysian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 4, 2014

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Estraysian posted:

Sure. And there are a whole lot of other Borgs today, but Vikings didn't have surnames.

E: It's not a big deal I suppose, it just sounds weird to me that there's a guy named Jarl Borg.

It also means castle in Swedish (related to Burg). Borg was also a soldier sobriquet in the Swedish army during the early modern period.

I kind of sympathize with Jarl Borg a little bit. He agreed to follow them to England and make peace, Horik and Ragnar then broke their promise and insulted him, and by doing so also broke their peace agreement. And maybe this is just me, but i still think he makes a better partner than Horik. Horik is playing a long con against Ragnar despite being treated alot closer to an equal partner than Borg ever was.

edit: "Sympathize" is perhaps the wrong word, more like "emphasize". He still invaded a village with basically old folk, women and children as the main defense.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 4, 2014

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I don't know if you like this recap style or not, but there are some funny ones in here:
http://www.themarysue.com/vikings-visual-recap-unforgiven/

Eagerly looking forward to the Blood Eagle next episode :black101:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

He can order all he wants, getting Ragnar to actually do it is the hard part. You might be overestimating the amount of authority Horik actually has over his Jarls. Which is why Horik needed Ragnar to murder Borg so Horik could finish taking Borg's land.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
Ragnar swore fealty on his arm ring to Horik, which is why he got involved in the land dispute with Jarl Borg in the first place. Of course, that all now depends on how much poo poo Ragnar is willing to take.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Falukorv posted:

edit: "Sympathize" is perhaps the wrong word, more like "emphasize".

Emphasize is also the wrong word. I think you mean empathize. :eng101:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Horik is probably going to try to spring Borg before the Blood Eagle ceremony and wind up killed. Leaving Ragnar with Horik's and Borgs lands. I do wonder if Bjorn is going to be forced to go back to his mother and be Jarl.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Floki only gets a line or two each episode it seems but he always completely nails it. His glee about not being able to keep a secret was great.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hoping that king horik and jarl borg both die, lagertha brings her people to ragnar, ragnar takes everybody to colonize england

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Floki only gets a line or two each episode it seems but he always completely nails it. His glee about not being able to keep a secret was great.

I thought it was hilarious when Rollo asked him where Bjorn was, just the way he said "I don't know, Rollo." His body language and pitch and tone made me laugh out loud, and obviously that line wasn't meant to be funny.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Falukorv posted:

It also means castle in Swedish (related to Burg). Borg was also a soldier sobriquet in the Swedish army during the early modern period.

I kind of sympathize with Jarl Borg a little bit. He agreed to follow them to England and make peace, Horik and Ragnar then broke their promise and insulted him, and by doing so also broke their peace agreement. And maybe this is just me, but i still think he makes a better partner than Horik. Horik is playing a long con against Ragnar despite being treated alot closer to an equal partner than Borg ever was.

edit: "Sympathize" is perhaps the wrong word, more like "emphasize". He still invaded a village with basically old folk, women and children as the main defense.

I like Jarl Borg a lot better than Horik. The dead wife skull and crazy eyes make him interesting. Much more so than old lechers.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

No More Heroes posted:

I like Jarl Borg a lot better than Horik. The dead wife skull and crazy eyes make him interesting. Much more so than old lechers.

Jarl Borg actually shows loyalty and recognized, even though he had no idea he was going to be betrayed again, that he shouldn't have done what he did. I actually believed him when he told Ragnar that Ragnar had no reason to doubt his loyalty. In all honesty, Borg was defending his own honor, he wouldn't have been Earl much longer had he let Horik and Ragnar do that without repercussion. He was justified in doing what he did IMHO, just not to Ragnar. Horik deserved all Borg's wrath instead of Ragnar, and to echo another poster here, Horik made Ragnar tell Borg the bad news so Horik didn't have to do it. The only thing Borg did wrong was direct his ire at Ragnar.

As to the answers to my earlier question, it does seem to me that Ragnar, Borg and Horik simply are equivalent leaders of different nations or states (for lack of a better term) who happened to all fall under the cultural blanket and the term "Viking." Makes a little more sense to me in those terms rather than thinking of them all being part of the same kingdom or earldom or nation or whatever.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 5, 2014

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

marktheando posted:

I don't doubt the effect is technically possible to do on screen, I was thinking more about tv network limits on grotesque violence.

I take it you haven't seen Hannibal.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

solovyov posted:

Hannibal takes things to a whole new level of holy shitballs.

Tower. Of. Limbs.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Well History is a cable channel so really they could show whatever the gently caress they want.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

solovyov posted:

I have, and I have no explanation for how Hannibal gets away with it. There hasn't been any gore in Vikings so far that even approaches the kind of thing you get in Hannibal every episode. I would be surprised if the blood eagle is as graphic as the angel-maker from Hannibal, for example.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

As to the answers to my earlier question, it does seem to me that Ragnar, Borg and Horik simply are equivalent leaders of different nations or states (for lack of a better term) who happened to all fall under the cultural blanket and the term "Viking." Makes a little more sense to me in those terms rather than thinking of them all being part of the same kingdom or earldom or nation or whatever.

I think the relationship started out with Ragnar being subservient to Horik with Ragnar having sworn fealty or whatever it was to Horik last season. If what I've read in some Viking books is accurate, they will often stop following a leader if the leader is lovely. So for Horik to not follow Ragnar home and offer help when Ragnar was going to try and reclaim his land from Borg and just be like "Whatever, I'm staying here, good luck with that" would pretty much be him relinquishing his claim on Ragnar's loyalty, especially since it's pretty much Horik's fault that poo poo went down the way it did. I doubt Horik sees it that way, but Ragnar probably does.

But, yeah, I think originally they were all pretty much equals who ruled different areas and Ragnar swore fealty to Horik so he'd have someone powerful to raid with.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

savinhill posted:

I think the relationship started out with Ragnar being subservient to Horik with Ragnar having sworn fealty or whatever it was to Horik last season. If what I've read in some Viking books is accurate, they will often stop following a leader if the leader is lovely. So for Horik to not follow Ragnar home and offer help when Ragnar was going to try and reclaim his land from Borg and just be like "Whatever, I'm staying here, good luck with that" would pretty much be him relinquishing his claim on Ragnar's loyalty, especially since it's pretty much Horik's fault that poo poo went down the way it did. I doubt Horik sees it that way, but Ragnar probably does.

But, yeah, I think originally they were all pretty much equals who ruled different areas and Ragnar swore fealty to Horik so he'd have someone powerful to raid with.

Breaking fealty has almost always been done the second that the vassal felt they could pull it off or was insulted. Horik is actually the shithead. Horik is playing Ragnar and Borg off against each other and weakening them while he commits nothing. Of the three rulers, Jarl Borg is probably the most honest of them. He has rights to lands, fights over it and cuts the war short for disfavorable terms. Then immediately gets repudiated on the raid by Horik via Ragnar. If he didn't attack someone he'd probably have been overthrown in a manner similar to how Ragnar took over.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Horik is such a fuckhead, I can't wait for him to get what he deserves.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Horik is a cunning poo poo. However way you slice it, you gotta give him props for ultimately causing Borg's by getting Ragnar and Borg to fight one another.

I'd rather see Ragnar and Borg join up to kick the poo poo out of Horik but Borg hosed that up when he raided Ragnar instead of Horik.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Horik is a cunning poo poo. However way you slice it, you gotta give him props for ultimately causing Borg's by getting Ragnar and Borg to fight one another.

I'd rather see Ragnar and Borg join up to kick the poo poo out of Horik but Borg hosed that up when he raided Ragnar instead of Horik.

He pretty much outwits Siggy too and takes advantage of her desperation to attempt a comeback.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

etalian posted:

He pretty much outwits Siggy too and takes advantage of her desperation to attempt a comeback.

I'm half expecting Ragnar to have known all along what Siggy was doing and not be the least bit pissed about it. Rollo seems to still possess enough self loathing to not be to pissed at her.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yup laughed like crazy after the the short Floki scene, Can you keep a secret?

No (Floki then wanders offscreen)

Stupor Mundi
Jan 10, 2008
Filil Hobenstaufenin osculamini asinum meum.
This show is amazing. It brings back so much nostalgia for my college history courses, heh. The acting in general is strong, but the actor that plays Ragnar is terrific. I caught myself with a huge, dumb grin when he was reunited with the grown-up Bjorn. I also love just how concerned Ragnar is with Aethelstan's well-being. It's touching.

Definitely agree with all the Ecbert love. Can't wait to see how this plot-line develops, although I fear for Aethelstan's longevity with such a hostile court.

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

I actually find Ragnar's actor to be one of the weakest. Maybe it's just me but he's always smiling/smirking and he is basically Jax Teller The Viking.

That's probably just me personal prejudice though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Best actor was the dude from the 13th warrior. I still miss him. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

Vladimir Kulich pretty much has the tough viking actor market cornered.

I think only Torstein is left from the original raiding crew.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Estraysian posted:

Jarl Haraldsson was kind of a weird name, too...why would they call him by a patronymic?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

doctor 7 posted:

Him and Leif were both badass and they both died in really lame ways. I mean, voluntary sacrifice was pretty badass I guess, but 13th Warrior getting shanked in his own piss was weak...

Edit for obligatory Amon Amarth track :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqiKZY2rMB4

:black101: BLOOD EAGLE! :black101:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Stupor Mundi posted:

Definitely agree with all the Ecbert love.
I am one of the few giant fans of Linus Roache. If you want to see him star, watch Before the Rains. If you want to see him be great and also have a fun moviewatching experience, check out Find Me Guilty.

• Locked thread