Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's not her fault he has an Ice Dagger.

Something Debra bad pun Baron Von Ruthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I haven't gone through and read the rest yet but oh my god Dave's reaction to Souled Out was priceless

quote:

Miss NWO finally ended with the sight of Bischoff french kissing an overweight mid-50s women to no cheers, even fewer laughs and a lot of gagging around the country. By this time the show was about as much fun to watch as three hours of somebody masturbating. In fact, I'm not sure that isn't what we were watching.

Hall & Nash then showed up and Hall pulled down Giant's pants showing everyone his enlarged butt and they spray painted NWO 4 life on his back. Well, it makes next year's awards easy enough.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Who wants to buy official WCW themes?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/wwe-the-music-of-wcw/id853467370

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Just listening to the previews is pretty much all I needed haha. Awesome :allears:

Edit: And isn't that first "Natural Born Thrillers" song actually Lance Storm? The second one isn't the NBT theme I'm familiar with either

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

rap is crap is worth the purchase alone.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Oh my god I don't remember this Tank Abbott theme at all

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
Whoa so we can get all those great songs for only $44.99, what a deal!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

No self high 5 :(

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Awesome, just what I wanted, the ability to listen to American Males on the go.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Justin Godscock posted:

Awesome, just what I wanted, the ability to listen to American Males on the go.

I have a deranged lunatic of a friend who will randomly text me "AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES" over and over.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

haljordan posted:

I have a deranged lunatic of a friend who will randomly text me "AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES" over and over.

You're friends with Scotty Riggs?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Writer Cath posted:

You're friends with Buff Bagwell?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

For the right price, you can be :getin:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Oh my god I don't remember this Tank Abbott theme at all

aint nothin' but a tankk thangggggg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
American Males was such a terrible theme.

The song starts out so quietly that you think The Giant or someone with no theme is coming out, you realize it is Scotty Riggs getting into the ring and finally you hear "AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MA" as the song cuts off. It's an awful tease.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fortunately, Buff Bagwell's theme makes up for all of that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I will not spend $1.29 on American Males. I will not spend $1.29 on American Males. I will not...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

It's so unintentionally(?) hilarious. When the voices start up, always, I think "they can't just be doing this. This can't be the song."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Who the gently caress is Sam Greco? I've watched a lot of wrestling, and that one escapes me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who the gently caress is Sam Greco? I've watched a lot of wrestling, and that one escapes me.

How the gently caress do you not know who Sam Greco is?

He wrestled just as much as Lanny Poffo did for WCW.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

The song starts out so quietly that you think The Giant or someone with no theme is coming out, you realize it is Scotty Riggs getting into the ring and finally you hear "AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MA" as the song cuts off. It's an awful tease.

I always liked how Warrior's theme was a pretty competent rip-off of his WWE theme, but it had a 45-second slow, plodding intro.

So when Warrior actually made his entrance to run to the ring, do you think they cut off the intro? Nope. Warrior ran to the ring with the lamest part of the song still playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uP4yY4ZlaY

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I'm in absolute shock that there are people who even dislike the American Males theme. You aren't people, you're monsters.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

EugeneJ posted:

I always liked how Warrior's theme was a pretty competent rip-off of his WWE theme, but it had a 45-second slow, plodding intro.

So when Warrior actually made his entrance to run to the ring, do you think they cut off the intro? Nope. Warrior ran to the ring with the lamest part of the song still playing:

Dat fukken' coat :wth:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

I'm in absolute shock that there are people who even dislike the American Males theme. You aren't people, you're monsters.

Many classic songs make terrible themes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Like final countdown.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

EugeneJ posted:

I would bet money that a coked up Warrior was supposed to wait another 30 seconds but just ran out there like an idiot anyway.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Forgot Warrior tore one of his biceps at the previous month's pay-per view so he had to wear his jacket through out the match. It was pretty awful of a match anyways though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What the gently caress is Bischoff's theme? :stare:

bartok
May 10, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

What the gently caress is Bischoff's theme? :stare:

Bischoff had a WCW theme?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Weirdly, I remember him having some music from the US remake of El Mariachi (or was it Desperado? One of the two, anyway) as a theme, I guess it was cheaper to use that one eventually.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Bischoff had 2 themes, a lovely nWo one that I think got used a handful of times and then that one song from Desperado. I actually had a bootleg CD that was an NWO Japan soundtrack that featured that awful Bischoff theme, including a hilarious ripoff of Voodoo Child for Hulk Hogan.

I was just thinking about the WWF acquisition of WCW and holy gently caress did they gently caress that up. Like they actually turned the main event of a Raw into Monday Nitro and did Booker T vs Buff Bagwell? And to add insult to injury I think they had Tony Schiavone on commentary too.

Then they forgot that ever happened and did the invasion which I guess is like a reverse nWo situation, but then immediately blew it by bringing ECW into the fold that same night and then putting Steve Austin as the combined stable leader.

WCW: sinking wrestling even after its death

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

bartok posted:

Bischoff had a WCW theme?

Yeah, it was from the Desperado soundtrack I think.

It was sadly not Eric Bischoff - Karate Man

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

1st AD posted:

Bischoff had 2 themes, a lovely nWo one that I think got used a handful of times and then that one song from Desperado. I actually had a bootleg CD that was an NWO Japan soundtrack that featured that awful Bischoff theme, including a hilarious ripoff of Voodoo Child for Hulk Hogan.

I was just thinking about the WWF acquisition of WCW and holy gently caress did they gently caress that up. Like they actually turned the main event of a Raw into Monday Nitro and did Booker T vs Buff Bagwell? And to add insult to injury I think they had Tony Schiavone on commentary too.

Then they forgot that ever happened and did the invasion which I guess is like a reverse nWo situation, but then immediately blew it by bringing ECW into the fold that same night and then putting Steve Austin as the combined stable leader.

WCW: sinking wrestling even after its death

Tony was never on Raw. They brought in Scott Hudson to do play by play. I don't remember who the color guys was.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bubba Grace posted:

Tony was never on Raw. They brought in Scott Hudson to do play by play. I don't remember who the color guys was.

Arn

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bubba Grace posted:

How'd he call Foley's title win, eh guy?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bubba Grace posted:

Ah I misremembered then, but poo poo that is a dire loving main event to be putting on with dudes who aren't even over. I think they must've had the idea of doing a soft WCW reboot on Raw, but without a Sting or Goldberg I have no idea how that possibly would've worked.

I remembered catching Raw years later and Booker T was in the nWo somehow and got buried by them. poo poo, everything that touched WCW was so hosed.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
They wanted to test the crowd reaction the WCW product and the best top guys they could get were Booker T and Bagwell. Bagwell's name got a huge pop when Vince was doing a promo a week or two prior so he thought he must be a big star. A better idea would have been Booker vs. Lance Storm, or ideally no WCW match at all since they were going to be used as an invading force anyway and should have been a united team.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's what dark matches are for.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

They wanted to test the crowd reaction the WCW product and the best top guys they could get were Booker T and Bagwell. Bagwell's name got a huge pop when Vince was doing a promo a week or two prior so he thought he must be a big star. A better idea would have been Booker vs. Lance Storm, or ideally no WCW match at all since they were going to be used as an invading force anyway and should have been a united team.

I may be getting my stories confused, but I think the original plan was to have WCW on Mondays and WWF on Thursdays, completely splitting the brands and rosters. So they weren't going to do the "Invasion" storyline at all at first, which is why they did that soft run of "Nitro" as the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bigass Moth posted:

They weren't set to be an invading force at that point. Vince wanted to push a WCW TV show but the name was so poisoned that he couldn't find TV for it.