Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jBrereton posted:

Shame that's much less effective.

Yes it is. Archers beep boop locking onto a target and walking into melee to die is just dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

TheDemon posted:

You can't script the same for every fight. In fact good expansion means knowing the ins and outs of every indep type and using that knowledge to select the right targets in the right order, rescripting and even merging armies as appropriate.

Can you give some more examples of this? It's pretty bullshit that you're just expected to figure this out yourself, especially since no two provinces have the same army composition and there's no way of knowing how they're going to deploy their troops.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
disregard im idiot

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Can you give some more examples of this? It's pretty bullshit that you're just expected to figure this out yourself, especially since no two provinces have the same army composition and there's no way of knowing how they're going to deploy their troops.

Welcome to dominions, please have fun in our wonderful single player for a few hours before you're comfortable expanding properly.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

Eschatos posted:

2.5 bless Warriors of the Five Elements are ridiculously awesome.

What blesses did you use?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jabarto posted:

The thing you have to learn about Dominions is that there are always a lot of guesswork needed for any game. There are so many unknown or random variables that you have to be able to adapt and change your plans to suit the moment.

To be clear for all noobs, there is no canned, pre-planned strategy for you to follow that will ever be any good. There are general strategies like how to build your pretender, or what pattern you try to expand in, or what schools of magic are good to priotize, but always remember that everything is subject to change. Trying to plan out specific, in-depth strategies for either the general game or battle scripting is a futile endeavor. In the end you will have to analyze the situation and think on your feet if you want to win, and you have to be able accept that sometimes you will lose no matter how well you play because the deck was stacked against you.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Shachar posted:

What blesses did you use?

F9W9E4

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Chomp8645 posted:

In the end you will have to analyze the situation and think on your feet if you want to win

But that's my point; most strategy games allow you to do some sort of intelligence gathering, or issue battle commands to deal with emerging situations - you know, strategy things. In Dominions, there's no information (you get a rough idea of what the enemy composition is and that's it) and no ability to influence anything. You can't know how far apart your armies will be when they engage, you can't know which troops will clash first, and you can't react to anything once the battle starts. All you can do is blindly throw your army at theirs and pray.

I'm not asking for a canned strategy, I'm asking how you even begin to guess with so little information.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Jabarto posted:

Jabarto posted:

But that's my point; most strategy games allow you to do some sort of intelligence gathering, or issue battle commands to deal with emerging situations - you know, strategy things. In Dominions, there's no information (you get a rough idea of what the enemy composition is and that's it) and no ability to influence anything. You can't know how far apart your armies will be when they engage, you can't know which troops will clash first, and you can't react to anything once the battle starts. All you can do is blindly throw your army at theirs and pray.

I'm not asking for a canned strategy, I'm asking how you even begin to guess with so little information.

For independents specifically, this isn't true. Each independent province falls into a category which sets what type of units they have. Each of these categories has strenghts and weaknesses that can be exploited using scripting. Xbows + Heavy Cavalry is different than Archers + Heavy Infantry is different than Barbarians is different than Wolf Tribe is different than Bear Tribe. Even though you don't know the exact quantity of enemies (and frankly, you can learn this too, by scout attacking with retreat orders, something you can do from turn 1).

Furthermore, battle placements are not random either. The indeps always place their squads near the center of their side of the battle map, and the battle map is a fixed size. Experienced players can usually predict who will get in the first melee strike based on their own placements and the ap rate and ranged weapon status of each unit in question.

For indep types:
Question 1: Is there a dangerous melee unit? Examples: Wolf Tribe Warriors (dual daggers), Barbarians, Heavy Cavalry, Knights, Crystal Amazons, Lizards
Question 2: Does the enemy carry shields? Examples: Heavy Infantry, Jaguar Tribe, Heavy Cavalry
Question 3: Are the enemy ranged units a danger to anything of yours? Examples: Xbows, Longbows, Slings, Woodsmen
Question 4: Does this poptype contain mages? Examples: Lizard Shamans, Bloodhenge Druids (hidden by Woodsmen sometimes)

Then you determine a strategy for the likely enemy composition taking into account its weaknesses (barbs have no shields, neither do wolf tribe, crystal amazons will fly their best troops in, slings can be drawn out as they're short range, bloodhenge will need two attacks one with chaff to waste their slaves, lizard shamans will Curse so never use SCs or giants but they have no shields, high enc units are vulnerable to long battles and high damage weapons)

When fightning non-independents, this kind of predicting is much more difficult, but there are many more intelligence tools available to you as well. Scouts are the most crucial, and good scouting can spot the enemy army fighting battles. Without scouts, you can learn exact army composition by sacrificing a province and its PD to do so. By seeing how enemy mages behave off-script, you get a good idea of the spells available to them, which lets you guess the enemy research.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 4, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jabarto posted:

A lot of the "information" you get will have to come from inference and playing the player.

For example in Kiddie Pool I'm playing as Jomon, a nation well known for it's bitching but expensive Samurai. I was fighting Mictlan, a nation for their crazy bless Jaguars who are extremely tough and have blood vengeance, which if you don't know returns some damage to the person who hits them. Our first battle went ok but I lost a hell of a lot of dudes for the amount I killed. So what I did was inspect Jaguars (hint, use the mod inspector tool!), and this is what I saw.

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html?page=unit&unitq=jaguar%20warrior&showids=1

Keep in mind that in addition to the listed stats the Jaguars will extra HP, regeneration, and damage return from their bless effect. Do you see the weakness? The only major hole in a jaguar's defenses is their protection. They don't have very much armor and they don't carry shields, which means arrows will particularly effective against them. So instead of fielding Samurai I started attackinghim with a poo poo load of cheap indie archers screen by Ashigaru (who have good armor and long weapons that help repel attacks. The Ashigaru would hold the line as long as possible while the archers won the battle through mass attrition. I was probably losing 5-6 archers for each Jaguar but scales Jomon can take that kind of attrition, bless Mictlan cannot not, especially because sacred units like Jaguars can only be recruited in limited numbers. To counter, Mictlan started putting a bunch of warriors with shields in front of his jaguars as a screen, and since my archers were set to "Fire closest" I quickly lost the next battle since most of my arrows flew uselessly into waiting shields. Then I started scripting my archers to just "Fire" with no specific target. As a unintended consequence not only were they no longer most most of their shots against shielded warriors, but they started picking off some mages as well.

This dance will often go back and forth between two players. With counter upon counter being used. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about when I say to "think on your feet". Unfortunately for the first battle against a given opponent you will usually have to wing it and just come up with the best plan you can and then cross your fingers. But even before first contact use the mod inspector to see the general strengths and weaknesses of your enemy. It's a great tool that everyone should use.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 4, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Uh.

Attack with a scout with retreat orders. You will get a ~100% accurate report of what's going on when it comes to indies, at least.

You do know how far apart your armies are at that point. You do know what's going to clash first in a bunch of cases (for example, Barbarian leaders tend to charge at the front of their formations and die really quickly, routing them; armies composed of Light and Heavy infantry are going to have the Lights hit first unless they have javelins; Amazon cavalry always hits first).

Your ability to influence things comes at the planning stage. It's not about praying, it's about knowing how the game works at all, and understanding that everyone is operating under the same constraints.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Jabarto posted:

You actually have plenty of ways to do intelligence gathering, including spending your early scout's first few moves attacking enemy independents (script him to retreat immediately) which will give you a full battle report with exact enemy troop numbers and positions. The key point here is that you don't get this intelligence for free - it has an opportunity cost and most advanced players will usually try to play as efficiently as possible. I can say from personal experience that super efficient skin-of-your-teeth expansion works great until you run into a random indy mage with a skull talisman or some other form of :dominions:

Part of the joy of dominions though is that, when you're actually playing against humans, you are both playing a limited information game with lots of counterplay. Even if you do scout your opponent, nothing can stop your opponent from feeding you false information, rearranging their formations or teleporting in units.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 4, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
4.05 is going to come out soon, but not with the big Caelum update, that's being saved for later.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Excellent they're going to fix\upgrade those nation-specific event chains, that'll be neat.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Illwinter posted:

The biggest new feature is the story event mode that enables random events that requires more interaction than usual and/or has really powerful effects. It's still a beta feature, so don't enable it in serious multiplayer games.

So, I guess this means there will be a rash of new Goon games with this feature turned on before anyone even gets to try it out in SP. I support this and can't wait to see what new hilarity is in store for us.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Larz posted:

So, I guess this means there will be a rash of new Goon games with this feature turned on before anyone even gets to try it out in SP. I support this and can't wait to see what new hilarity is in store for us.
Better keep it out of our MLG streamed games, though (note: I would love to see this happen. BIG PLAYS in the Pretender creation screen and so on. Pocket F9 Yomi Strats, you name it).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 4, 2014

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Has there been an updated hosting guide for Dom4? The one in PGS is outdated. I'm looking to host a game for a non-goon forum, so I don't think I can just use the goon service, right?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Better keep it out of our MLG streamed games, though (note: I would love to see this happen. BIG PLAYS in the Pretender creation screen and so on. Pocket F9 Yomi Strats, you name it).

Quick im making my videos now and i need to know optimum wubs per minutes (WPM) for sick communion battles and then merc recruitment screens.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

WaterIsPoison posted:

Has there been an updated hosting guide for Dom4? The one in PGS is outdated. I'm looking to host a game for a non-goon forum, so I don't think I can just use the goon service, right?

Curious about this too, since I hate having to bug someone else to host whenever I want to play with just a few friends.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LordLeckie posted:

Quick im making my videos now and i need to know optimum wubs per minutes (WPM) for sick communion battles and then merc recruitment screens.
Basically just slap some Flux Pavilion on anytime anything from Thaumaturgy gets cast. Günther Blukraft's Sonnenkinder popping up on Turn One deserves a spinning graphic of the merc screen and a couple of explosions like Tim Westwood used to drop every ten seconds.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

WaterIsPoison posted:

It isn't really hard to put a server up. The GGS is just an interface so people can easily reserve their nation and see the connection info all in one place.

If you already have a static IP, you should be able to just click Setup a Dominions Server ingame and select an open port, then give the players your IP and the port. I can't upload maps for some reason so if that happens for you, either use a stock map or upload one to a free hosting. Configure your game settings (turn off 'Clients may start the game', turn on renaming, give yourself a master password, rest is up to you) and wait for everyone to upload their pretenders, start the game, and keep your computer up for as long as you want people able to put their turns in.

If you want to play in the game yourself, open a new window of Dom4 and connect to yourself.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
For the people looking to host a Dom4 server on Linux, here's a script that Tenjou uses:

Pastebin

If you're decent with Linux and have a VPS or something, it's pretty easy to host.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How do Steam updates work with multiplayer games, since Steam just automatically updates the game?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Usually everyone rushes to connect after they patch which means, as tenjou has to manually patch from desura, all the games crash because of version mismatches, and tenjou has to run around trying to fix everything

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
There's a Dominions 4?
It's on Steam?
It's not absurdly expensive?!

Well, there goes twenty quid.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Saith posted:

There's a Dominions 4?
It's on Steam?
It's not absurdly expensive?!

Well, there goes twenty quid.

The game have been in several 50% and 75% off sales. You could have bought it even cheaper ;).

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Turin Turambar posted:

The game have been in several 50% and 75% off sales. You could have bought it even cheaper ;).
I'm just happy it's under £70 or however much I blew on the third one. :negative:

e: The game's pretty rad though. Seems more user friendly, though I'm not exactly sure how.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

How do Steam updates work with multiplayer games, since Steam just automatically updates the game?

It seems that game will work even if you copy the folder outside of Steam.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Though realistically what happens is someone gets autopatched and uploads a turn to whatever server they're on, crashing it til it gets updated.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Awesome Midgame 0.01 Not gonna be released version

So I have decided to do a mod kinda like awesome endgame but much more focused on the middle game, and some things i've wanted

The primary focus will be expanding summoning spells, most would be more useful if they just gave bonus dudes for high levels, I intend to fix that, but first

I made holy boosting items plentiful, construction 6 and one for each path (other than holy you can't forge holy), some changes will be done on them to tweak (helmet and armor will be real armor and hat) but they will all be there. (also path level 4 the 1 is for testing)

Fire

Air

Water

Earth

Astral

Nature

Death

Blood

Comments Welcome

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It might make more sense to switch the serpent crown and the Power of Greyskull, since Nature deals with poison and Death deals with undead more often.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

It might make more sense to switch the serpent crown and the Power of Greyskull, since Nature deals with poison and Death deals with undead more often.

Errr I hosed up putting the paths right, The sword is supposed to be Death.

Wigglyben
Aug 23, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Unfortunately I too just discovered this game after getting Conquest of Elysium 3 on sale and am debating paying full price for it when I know that it was just on sale for $8.75 a couple days ago. The cheap part of me wants to wait just on principle, while the nice part of me wants to support an indie developer that seems to be doing something that I like. I'm torn.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Wigglyben posted:

Unfortunately I too just discovered this game after getting Conquest of Elysium 3 on sale and am debating paying full price for it when I know that it was just on sale for $8.75 a couple days ago. The cheap part of me wants to wait just on principle, while the nice part of me wants to support an indie developer that seems to be doing something that I like. I'm torn.

I've bought it at full price for 4 people and my self, no regrets.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

I've bought it at full price for 4 people and my self, no regrets.

ive bought four copies and it was worth it probably.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wigglyben posted:

Do whatever you want. I happened to buy the game for $30 like two days before it went on sale. On the one hand saving some money would have been nice, but on the other I can honestly say that this game was $30 well spent.

Wigglyben
Aug 23, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Do whatever you want. I happened to buy the game for $30 like two days before it went on sale. On the one hand saving some money would have been nice, but on the other I can honestly say that this game was $30 well spent.

Yeah I'll probably get it next pay period. I've been reading/watching LPs and I want to get destroyed in some MP games.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Awesome Midgame 0.01 Not gonna be released version

So I have decided to do a mod kinda like awesome endgame but much more focused on the middle game, and some things i've wanted

The primary focus will be expanding summoning spells, most would be more useful if they just gave bonus dudes for high levels, I intend to fix that, but first

I made holy boosting items plentiful, construction 6 and one for each path (other than holy you can't forge holy), some changes will be done on them to tweak (helmet and armor will be real armor and hat) but they will all be there. (also path level 4 the 1 is for testing)

*snip*

Comments Welcome

Im guessing those are just placeholder prices but autocast fanaticism and divine blessing seem stupidly good.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

LordLeckie posted:

Im guessing those are just placeholder prices but autocast fanaticism and divine blessing seem stupidly good.

the post you quoted says they will cost 20 gems each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The water one is shoes. There are quite a lot of aquatic priests without feet. I don't know if that's intentional or not.

• Locked thread