Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

H1KE posted:

The spirit of the Gold Taurus lives on in it's later model brethren. Also just noticed 18's [?] up front, 15's on the rear.

'stralia.

The smaller rims on the back are to prove his drag racing cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Does the caravan provide downforce?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The caravan is so he can get drunk with his wife and sister (one person) without having to stop at a pub.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Slavvy posted:

'stralia.

Straya :colbert:

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Slavvy posted:

'stralia.

The smaller rims on the back are to prove his drag racing cred.

I just love seeing these rally driver P platers with stock chasers on the rear and awesome $1000 a wheel rims up front. It makes for extreme entertainment because the instant those wheels even see water, SuperBrah Strayacunt, the extreme backroads burnout champ goes flying sideways, then tries to correct it by giving it more throttle and ultimately ending up against the gutter. It's also nearly always a Commodore / Falcon that sounds like it's about to toss a rod too. I saw some dumbshit just last week replacing his front, now flat, 18 inch rim with his stock 15 inch spare on a VS wagon, making for two 15's on the rear, a 15 on the front and an 18 on the front. I almost wanted to stop just to watch it try and drive down the road.

And yes, the AU was an abomination of a car. I'll go so far as to say they were even above the Taurus and EA/EB in the shittiness stakes. Hell you could post a photo of a stock one and it'd still fit this thread. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't speak for the taurus, but they certainly weren't worse than an EA/EB. At least they had a primitive VVT system that didn't suck, and the fundamental bodyshell is decent by ford standards (and still in use!).

You can make them not-suck, is what I'm saying. And the very last ones that got rid of the loving RETARDED headlights weren't too bad looking.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Wait, is driving around with different sized front and rear wheels an actually 'straya thing? I thought in the case of that pic it was just an unusually involved way of setting trailer tongue height.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Wait, is driving around with different sized front and rear wheels an actually 'straya thing? I thought in the case of that pic it was just an unusually involved way of setting trailer tongue height.

Burnouts.

e: Cheap and cheerful 15"/16" tyres will run you as little as $80/tyre.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Slavvy posted:

You can make them not-suck, is what I'm saying. And the very last ones that got rid of the loving RETARDED headlights weren't too bad looking.

The standard Falcons always had those headlights, it was the grill that changed through I-II-III series. You're thinking of the XR6 and XR8 headlights I'm pretty sure.

They are one ugly car, but I think if I was going to swap a modern six into my XC it would be an AU engine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's a NZ thing, too. Not sure where it originated initially but I have no intention of claiming credit. The standard dumb-oval office-with-sideways-cap vehicle here is a nissan laurel/cefiro/skyline (4 doors)/toyota cressida with huge chromes or brightly coloured enkeis on the front, and tiny steel bottlecaps with supercats on the rear. So you can do mean skids bro, but still show you have your awesome financed rims.

Ansith posted:

The standard Falcons always had those headlights, it was the grill that changed through I-II-III series. You're thinking of the XR6 and XR8 headlights I'm pretty sure.

They are one ugly car, but I think if I was going to swap a modern six into my XC it would be an AU engine.

Yeah, I am thinking of the XR's. The very last ones went to a trapezoid design, didn't they? And the 'futura' model didn't look too poo poo either.

edit: gently caress it, I may as well use this post to show some NZ 'culture'

Hey look an R34...what...?

...oh.

Nah bro the body won't cut through those pipes it'll be sweet.

The world's first shock absorbing rollcage.

The cost of this fine machine? Fifteen grand.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 4, 2014

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Wonder how this one got past the censors.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

wallaka posted:

is this a red state? I wouldn't be surprised if they assumed it was some form of gay bashing and let it right through

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Slavvy posted:

The cost of this fine machine? Fifteen grand.

I'd go in for eight to ten grand knowing I had some fixing up to do, some corrections to make before putting serious miles on it...

Fifteen is some crack smokery.

And I'd never buy this one specifically, converting your front end to JDM is fine but imitating another, definitively superior car is loving lame.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 4, 2014

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wallaka posted:

Hey, I'd feel self-conscious about my sexual orientation too, if I found myself driving a Mustang.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

cormorant posted:

Hey, I'd feel self-conscious about my sexual orientation too, if I found myself driving a Mustang.
Wow rude, you are the terrible car stuff in this thread.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

drukqs posted:

is this a red state? I wouldn't be surprised if they assumed it was some form of gay bashing and let it right through

Alabama!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

cormorant posted:

At least it's a GT :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

veedubfreak posted:

At least it's a GT :)

I was going to say, at least it's not a red V6 automatic convertible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slavvy posted:

It's a NZ thing, too. Not sure where it originated initially but I have no intention of claiming credit. The standard dumb-oval office-with-sideways-cap vehicle here is a nissan laurel/cefiro/skyline (4 doors)/toyota cressida with huge chromes or brightly coloured enkeis on the front, and tiny steel bottlecaps with supercats on the rear. So you can do mean skids bro, but still show you have your awesome financed rims.

I remember a few years back here in the States, the Honda boyz had a similar thing going on where they had nice rimzzz and low-pros on the rear of their Civic, and 15" steelies up front, because obviously they were going drag racing, and had their stickies on. Except of course they were just steelies with whatever cheap tire was available rather than drag radials or slicks.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Ten grand for a Faggio with an upscale badge? No thank you.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-c600-sport-review-bmws-best-city-commuter-has-two-wheels-costs-10k/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The aprilia SRV 850 is a significantly larger and more powerful scooter and costs even more than that. Not sure what your point is, maxi scooters are A Thing and have been for a long time.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for the taurus, but they certainly weren't worse than an EA/EB. At least they had a primitive VVT system that didn't suck, and the fundamental bodyshell is decent by ford standards (and still in use!).
Eh? It's a bit aged by now, isn't it? What model/s?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Friar Zucchini posted:

Eh? It's a bit aged by now, isn't it? What model/s?

Every falcon since the AU has used the AU body shell. The more you know.

Go out in the street and check, if you don't believe me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

The aprilia SRV 850 is a significantly larger and more powerful scooter and costs even more than that. Not sure what your point is, maxi scooters are A Thing and have been for a long time.

Ten grand MSRP for that BMW puts it squarely between the Honda Silver Wing at about 9300 and the Suzuki Burgman at $11k.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

One of the guys in the local BMWMOA club has a C650GT along with his R1200GS and he loves the thing and rides it everywhere including longer interstate trips. Yeah it costs more than a little scooter but it's a lot more than a little scooter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The SRV is priced at around £8,000 according to google, which is a whole lot more. I'm meaning that it's an even bigger, even dumber, even more expensive scooter. I don't see what singles out that BMW as being particularly terrible.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Now if you want literally $10k for a Faggio (well, Piaggio) with an upscale badge, there's the Vespa 946:

$9,946

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Snowdens Secret posted:

Now if you want literally $10k for a Faggio (well, Piaggio) with an upscale badge, there's the Vespa 946:

$9,946

Lot of money but that is one sexy looking scooter. Its probably insane for most of us to think that's worth it, but I bet they sell like hot cakes around ivy league campuses. poo poo, Ive seen kids ride pedal bikes worth more than that around UW.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 5, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Every falcon since the AU has used the AU body shell. The more you know.

Go out in the street and check, if you don't believe me.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Taurus. ...lol go out in the street, that's a long swim.

I actually used to have a Taurus from that generation too. I liked it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

I don't even know what's going on here. They're clearly going for the Herbie thing with the number and the (barely visible from this angle) racing stripes down the hood, but the number is the wrong one, and the checkered roof is just :wtc:

Plus, you know, it wasn't Herbie The Love Cooper.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Captain Trips posted:

I don't even know what's going on here. They're clearly going for the Herbie thing with the number and the (barely visible from this angle) racing stripes down the hood, but the number is the wrong one, and the checkered roof is just :wtc:

From my so far short career of working on cars, Mini owners are the weirdest most anal retentive people ever.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Slavvy posted:

The SRV is priced at around £8,000 according to google, which is a whole lot more. I'm meaning that it's an even bigger, even dumber, even more expensive scooter. I don't see what singles out that BMW as being particularly terrible.

I just saw this one pop up on my Facebook feed from Car and Driver... I was not aware that ten grand for a churched-up moped was par for the course!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I probably wouldn't even notice that sitting at a stoplight or something, but the longer I look at it the more furious it's making me.

edit: nope, I can see it with the timg now, it's just making me angry in a different way. I am the sperg.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

drukqs posted:

I just saw this one pop up on my Facebook feed from Car and Driver... I was not aware that ten grand for a churched-up moped was par for the course!

It is. The aprilia SRV has a v-twin pumping out 76bhp and an assload of torque via a CVT, which makes it faster than most of the 'slow' bikes. Also has ABS, bike brakes, bike front suspension and so on. Maxi scooters are like bikes for people who want what bikes do, but don't want to learn how to change gear, ride properly, pay for the added maintenance, don't want the bike image etc etc. The lines are definitely getting blurred as there are now middleweight bikes with automatic transmissions, too, with a similar pricepoint. It's kind of the bike equivalent to how cars and SUVs are slowly melting into one.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

Burnouts.

e: Cheap and cheerful 15"/16" tyres will run you as little as $80/tyre.

Yeah, but the Tore-rear end is front wheel drive, so it really makes no sense at all.

Wait, I just figured it out. The large tires rub when he puts the caravan on the back of it because he's got too much tongue weight on it. That's my best guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a falcon.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

charliemonster42 posted:

Yeah, but the Tore-rear end is front wheel drive, so it really makes no sense at all.

That isn't a Taurus (or a FWD for that matter)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

I actually saw several variants of this in Korea, to where I wondered if it was an available package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It's a falcon.

:downsgun: This is what I get for a quick glance at the picture and wondering why nobody mentioned a Cavalier.