Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I wanted to say thanks for all the advice on Chaos Paladin's PCC ports. Finally what did the trick was slotting a flathead screwdriver on one side, with my thumbnail already under the other. Slipped right up. Would NOT move for anything before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Come on guys, credit where credit is due. Funpub sucks and the rest of the box set is lame but holy hell is that Scorponok figure a fantastic idea. I'm probably getting the set now as a result since the individual figure will probably sell for just as much loose. Imagine how awesome he and Warden are gonna look together!

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
A friend of mine likes writing smart words in a reviewy way about MTMTE. You can check him out here.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Someone really doesn't like James Roberts.

quote:

If you speak only to your friends who also like it you might describe the current out put as celebrated but you'd be applying the conversation in a office block to the beliefes of a city in comparison to the people who consider themselves Transformers fans and simply don't know or care about them or are even aware there is a comic at all (unless they have it waved under their nose by putting it in the toys packaging).

Personally I don't celebrate IDW in any way shape or form their style and interpretation of Transformers is alien to my conception of the brand and not to my taste at all and seeing so much of the 30th coated by it makes me melancholy rather than joyful of said anniversary - It's almost as if Waspinator only got a toy as he's in the comic rather than as a celebration of one of the more cherished characters of that part of the franchise and is that is even remotely true that makes me very forlorn indeed.

So call your guest a Guest but Special Guest - No he's not more or less special than some random Voice artist is, besides if you call him Special Guest does that make him higher than Peter Cullen and equal to Pat Lee then ?

No sorry I'm not feeling the special here, You have a Fanfic writer coming to your event yay - If the event was held in the local bar i'd be impressed - otherwise not so much.

A sad year for the Transformers if it was any other year but for the 'supposed' 30th celebration to be so unrelated to the last 30 years is like having someone in 2005 do a Star Wars Celebration event and say - your only allowed to dress up as or ask questions about or have guests from the Prequels.

I feel the Franchise has been hijacked by alien ideas - Just as much as the Truck not Monkey Brigade did in 1995/96 and in some ways even more so than some did with the Odd side stories like Kiss Players and Transformers Animated those at least didn't want to eliminate or write over the past to their own specification - they were just for fun really ; If the only Transformers were are allowed to be sold (excluding Movie and Prime) is ones based on videogames and comics - I feel Hasbro isn't in touch with it's past at all - heck even the toy people have begged for for 30 Years ARCEE is IDW Arcee. I can only imagine they don't realise they are missing the point rather a lot of the time at Hasbro.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

That is... genuinely difficult for me to parse. I'm not sure he understands how sentences work?

I'm not sure what he's getting at with the whole "alien ideas" thing, either. If anything, the franchise is more in touch with its origins now than it had been in a long time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I can't even be arsed with sarcasm at stuff like that. He is aware of Trukk not Monkey but doesn't realize it is mostly a derisive term at this point? Whatever. Here's a Vangelus review of AoE Grimlock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxIqIWxHj4 I'm not quite sold, but it is good enough to excite me a little for the line.

TransFOURmers toys!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like that Grimlock overall, except a detail or two. In fact all of the dinobots look like very fun toys. I was expecting absolutely nothing out of this toyline so I'm glad that several figures seem to be actually cool.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

Someone really doesn't like James Roberts.

"I feel the Franchise has been hijacked by alien ideas - Just as much as the Truck not Monkey Brigade did in 1995/96"

So wait, the blinkered GEEWUN purists were the ones loving up transformers with their "alien ideas"? So reinventing transformers (just as BW did) is a good thing...or not...or...?

It's pretty telling that this weirdo uses neocon/GOP/Glenn Beck bullshit as his lead-off defense of his position. "They don't outnumber us, WE outnumber THEM!"

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

So wait, the blinkered GEEWUN purists were the ones loving up transformers with their "alien ideas"? So reinventing transformers (just as BW did) is a good thing...or not...or...?

No, he's saying he feels the franchise has been hijacked by alien ideas now in the same way the GEEWUN purists felt when Beast Wars became the new norm in the '90s. The "alien ideas" are "Beast modes" and...um..."good storytelling and interesting characters"? Those are admittedly pretty alien ideas for the franchise overall, but I don't really get what he's complaining about, since he never quite gets around to stating it. The emphasis on Roberts as fanfic writer, when he is now a professional writer by any reasonable metric, indicates a level of geek jealousy at play, in my opinion.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not disagreeing with your point but I actually do find Roberts very fanfic-y. Or at least what I envision of fanfics.

The thing is, most fanfics are not well written, so the silly love story angles and Rung's self-insert status are endearing instead of horrifying. But the man is clearly not afraid to touch on topics Western stories prefer to just push under the mat. I think this is a big part of why the fandom circling MTMTE is a bit of a different cut than what I'd imagine for the traditional western mass media release. And Hasbro seems to be responding well!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

No, he's saying he feels the franchise has been hijacked by alien ideas now in the same way the GEEWUN purists felt when Beast Wars became the new norm in the '90s. The "alien ideas" are "Beast modes" and...um..."good storytelling and interesting characters"? Those are admittedly pretty alien ideas for the franchise overall, but I don't really get what he's complaining about, since he never quite gets around to stating it. The emphasis on Roberts as fanfic writer, when he is now a professional writer by any reasonable metric, indicates a level of geek jealousy at play, in my opinion.

Yeah I was more making fun of his poo poo writing than anything else. His way of thinking is so alien to me that I can't even really deal with it.

I remember when I was in senior year of high school I was invited to a screening of the X-Men movie about a week before it premiered because the local theater had to check the print to make sure it was good before showing it to paying customers. This little event brought out every nerdberger in our relatively small town, and we all waited about 6 hours for the movie to start because the delivery guy was delayed. So it's about 3 a.m. on a school night and I'm stuck next to this fat stinky stereotype who wants to know if I'm into Transformers. At this point in my life I hadn't thought about TFs since the 1986 movie broke my little heart.

In retrospect, this guy was probably trying to tell me how great Beast Wars was when it was still on the air (!), but I assumed he was talking about the dumb pew pew robot show I watched as a kid. The point of all this text is that it's astounding to me that anyone could be a purist for TF fiction when it has absolutely sucked balls with the few exceptions when people try new twists on everything. Of COURSE I was extremely resistant to hear about this guy's transformers fiction, what is he, simple? And people actually want to return to the days when TF fiction didn't have anywhere to hang it's hat. My god.

(Also the film finally arrived and had to be assembled as it was distributed cut into quarters. The moron that assembled it put it in 1-3-2-4 order, so the movie was VERY confusing and by the time we got out I got to watch the sunrise)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Here's a Vangelus review of AoE Grimlock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxIqIWxHj4
I'm not quite sold, but it is good enough to excite me a little for the line.

TransFOURmers toys!

This looks pretty good, and his T-rex mode is less messy than I thought. I agree that the weapon has no good way of interacting with the main figure, though.

I hope we get to see some more early reviews soon, at least of the Wave 1 Generations figures.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's this canadian dude posting early pics of the deluxes over TFW2005 news section, they seem to be fun toys.

Haha also the fella who hates IDW just keeps postin'

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't even be arsed with sarcasm at stuff like that. He is aware of Trukk not Monkey but doesn't realize it is mostly a derisive term at this point? Whatever. Here's a Vangelus review of AoE Grimlock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxIqIWxHj4 I'm not quite sold, but it is good enough to excite me a little for the line.

TransFOURmers toys!

Looks like Super Shredder in bot form.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I love that he thinks that Waspinator only got a new toy is because he's in the comics, when its pretty obvious that its the other way around; especially when you consider Starscream, Jhiaxus & Dreadwings new duds and the shoehorning-in of Rattrap.

And if wanting to live in a world where Swerve gets a new toy is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Spiderdrake posted:

TransFOURmers toys!

That looks surprisingly fun and not shite at all. I might actually get one on clearance.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

DisposableHero posted:

Looks like Super Shredder in bot form.

Ok NOW I like this redesign.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I like the Grimlock design well enough but both toys look absolutely awful. The Deluxe Dinobots look pretty great overall but Voyager and Leader Grimlock are just repulsive adaptations of the design to me. Voyager's T-Rex mode is ugly as hell and the Leader's robot mode is spindly and fragile looking. I need something with the Leader T-Rex and the Voyager's robot modes.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But isn't the leader the one with the loooong torso in dino mode? Although I suspect it was somehow mistransformed, which wouldn't be strange actually.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blackheart posted:

There's this canadian dude posting early pics of the deluxes over TFW2005 news section, they seem to be fun toys.
Can you post these? I last about 18 seconds going through TFW2005

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Here's a couple

they were posted by user megatroptimus over this thread.

edit: he's already posted reviews, so just go over the reviews subforum.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 5, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Dude those dinos look rad as hell. I thought there would be nothing interesting on this toyline.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Those things look like cheap toys you'd get at a dollar store.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Those things look like cheap toys you'd get at a dollar store.

Oh sweet a nice green and black car! That.....has a hood skirt behind it......and its doors hang off its sides because "trenchcoat"

Legends articulation at Deluxe prices. At least Masterpiece and Generations are sticking around.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
So, it seems like we'll be getting a repaint of Generations Whirl into Shockwave in this Transformers Cloud event/game/manga or whatever it is.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Quite a gap in apparent quality between Crosshairs and the Dinobots there. I wasn't sure that was the Generations version of Crosshairs for a second.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I like Crosshairs in sort of a silly way except is it just me or is his head like cartoonishly gigantic?

Waiting for a remold, on clearance, that I'll never see. Pine over the robots you'll never have, etc.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe the head looks big because it has this pilot/paratrooper helmet (I don't know anything about real paratroopers)

The Rage posted:

Oh sweet a nice green and black car! That.....has a hood skirt behind it......and its doors hang off its sides because "trenchcoat"

Legends articulation at Deluxe prices. At least Masterpiece and Generations are sticking around.

Well, the character design does have a trenchcoat, I think they kinda pulled it off here. The kibble would work better if the inside was painted black, and if the windshield wasn't clear transparent (it cuts the "buttflap" in two, ruining the trenchcoat look a bit).

It's only weak points to me are the dull colors and the giant forearm covers. It also seems to have all the articulation a deluxe should have so I'm not getting the legends comparison here.

I'll agree that the dlx dinobots all look pretty rad.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I like Crosshairs in sort of a silly way except is it just me or is his head like cartoonishly gigantic?

It seems be in proportion with his limbs, but I think his thin torso makes it look big in comparison.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 5, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The thing is, Crosshairs' head is perfectly normal-sized for a human - maybe a little small, even! - but Transformers usually have little pinheads so he seems weird.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

New Hasbro promotional material not only confirms Transformers 5 in 2017 (not a huge surprise), but that animated movies (probably direct-to-video) will be released in Q1 2015 and Q1 2016. They're represented by some curious new logos.

Ratbat and some variation on The Fallen/Megatronus?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Clearly it's the long-awaited return of Battle Unicorn.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Double post. That's what I get for posting in a store with horrible reception.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 5, 2014

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Got a Whirl today at TRU. I was kinda on the fence but after having him in hand I like him quite a bit more than just based on pictures. The leg/cockpit gap situation isn't great but I really like everything else about the figure.

I also grabbed MP G2 Sideswipe at Emerald City Comic-con last weekend. Figure just oozes personality. Pretty slick.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Here's an odd question. Is the Spike included with the MP-10 Prime to scale with what we've seen of the Daniel included with the MP Bumblebee?

Just curious, kind of miffed my YOTH Prime didn't come with a Roller or Spike. Roller is not a problem, I've found a knockoff in transparent blue that seems to match the repair bay, but Polly Pockets For Boys figures seem a little more problematic, I want to be sure of the sizes before I spend any more.

AOE Slag looks pretty good. The forearms are hollow, but the only hollow body parts I dislike are the ones like the Minicon Assault Team' chest hollow.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Tough to judge with Spike in the background a bit, but yes?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
To be fair, that Crosshairs figure wouldn't look so lovely if he had more paint apps for his details and wasn't just straight green and black.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
At Supanova yesterday, picked up a Japanese Destron, it's pretty cool to have a Megatron to go with my G1 Prime, but drat if it's not a goofy as hell model.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm really kinda disappointed that The Transformers Cloud Voyager Shockwave is just Voyager Whirl with a new head.

It's also the perfect shade of purple and the windows are this brilliant clear red and I hate it for being so perfectly colored. It's perfect decepticon colors, it's just Shockwave shouldn't be a helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenal_12
May 7, 2007

The dinos look great.

I was thinking that Crosshairs might look better in person until I saw that the entire top of the car from hood to trunk just hangs off his back.