Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Militree posted:

Gonna have to agree with this guy. Togekiss rules. Please consult this official tier:

Awesome design tier:
Mamoswine
Porygon-Z
Togekiss
Yanmega

Pretty cool tier:
Electivire
Honchkrow
Mismagius
Gliscor
Froslass

Boring but not terrible tier:
Tangrowth
Ambipom
Weavile
Gallade
Roserade
Dusknoir

Awful tier:
Rhyperior
Probopass
Magmortar

Magmortar is also awesome because he's at least okay which is 1000x better than Magmar and his dumb butt face. Also Roserade is Plant Tuxedo Mask so he's top tier. Other than these issues, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno man, Electivire looks dumb as hell and everything in the Ambipom family is a horrific crime against nature.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dunno man, Electivire looks dumb as hell and everything in the Ambipom family is a horrific crime against nature.

The Ambipom family is just so dull and forgettable that they don't elicit enough response to be considered terrible.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Militree posted:

Gonna have to agree with this guy. Togekiss rules. Please consult this official tier:

Awesome design tier:
Mamoswine
Porygon-Z
Togekiss
Yanmega

Pretty cool tier:
Electivire
Honchkrow
Mismagius
Gliscor
Froslass

Tangrowth
Ambipom
Weavile
Gallade
Roserade
Dusknoir

Awful tier:
Rhyperior
Probopass
Magmortar
This guy gets it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Honchkrow is a top-tier evolution and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Honchkrow is a top-tier evolution and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Actually he's UU at best :)

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Magmortar is also awesome because he's at least okay which is 1000x better than Magmar and his dumb butt face. Also Roserade is Plant Tuxedo Mask so he's top tier. Other than these issues, I agree.
I like pretty much all the Gen 4 evolutions, the only thing I hate is some of the evolution methods. "Trade while holding a specific item" is an absolute pain in the rear end, especially since said held items are really rare and/or really expensive.

I do like the "level up while knowing a specific move", and it's why I'm a little disappointed that Goodra can't evolve with manual rain. Teaching Goodra Rain Dance as a way to get it to evolve would be sort of like an update (you could even say evolution:v:) of that.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

fade5 posted:

I like pretty much all the Gen 4 evolutions, the only thing I hate is some of the evolution methods. "Trade while holding a specific item" is an absolute pain in the rear end, especially since said held items are really rare and/or really expensive.

I do like the "level up while knowing a specific move", and it's why I'm a little disappointed that Goodra can't evolve with manual rain. Teaching Goodra Rain Dance as a way to get it to evolve would be sort of like an update (you could even say evolution:v:) of that.

Or allow moves like Rain Dance outside of battle so you can influence the weather on X amount of subsequent battles.

That would be awesome.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
For Mega-Pinsir, is there any downside to using Frustration over Return? I'd like to be able to screw over Ditto's that try to come in and revenge kill and I figure most of them will be running max happiness. Happiness doesn't affect wifi battles other than Return/Frustration damage, right? I know it seems super niche, but I figure why not?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's just a pain to use Frustration because everything increases happiness.

If once you have it set up you put it in the box and never move around with it then it's fine.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

2MB posted:

For Mega-Pinsir, is there any downside to using Frustration over Return? I'd like to be able to screw over Ditto's that try to come in and revenge kill and I figure most of them will be running max happiness. Happiness doesn't affect wifi battles other than Return/Frustration damage, right? I know it seems super niche, but I figure why not?

That's actually a pretty neat idea, which oddly enough wouldn't accurately translate over to simulator play. No matter what, Return and Frustration are always max power, even though in this situation it wouldn't be the same

Unless transform also copies happiness and such, which I don't know

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Dr Pepper posted:

It's just a pain to use Frustration because everything increases happiness.

If once you have it set up you put it in the box and never move around with it then it's fine.

Just feed it tons of bitter berries/herbs?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah but just walking around with it in the party increases a Pokemon's happiness.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

2MB posted:

Frustration is a lot harder to keep at maximum power since basically everything, up to and including "walking around with it in your party" raises happiness. It shouldn't interfere with anything else, just be sure to remember that every single time you take it out of the PC you'll probably have to give it at least one happiness reducing item before you box it again.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You know what'd be great?

If Togekiss had a Mega Evolution :getin:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Main Paineframe posted:

Frustration is a lot harder to keep at maximum power since basically everything, up to and including "walking around with it in your party" raises happiness. It shouldn't interfere with anything else, just be sure to remember that every single time you take it out of the PC you'll probably have to give it at least one happiness reducing item before you box it again.

And this is why the Battle Box is a loving godsend.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Magres posted:

You know what'd be great?

If Togekiss had a Mega Evolution :getin:

Forget that ugly thing, give Dunsparce a mega-evolution.

E: hell, give megas to all those obscure one-shots that desperately need it, instead of to poo poo like Lucario and Blaziken that were already overused anyway.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Tardigrade posted:

E: hell, give megas to all those obscure one-shots that desperately need it, instead of to poo poo like Lucario and Blaziken that were already overused anyway.

The majority of players (kids) don't want dunsparce to Mega evolve. They want the bad as dog thing and kicking karate flame chicken.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Constable Lemon posted:

That's actually a pretty neat idea, which oddly enough wouldn't accurately translate over to simulator play. No matter what, Return and Frustration are always max power, even though in this situation it wouldn't be the same

Are you sure? I hear that using Frustration to mess with dito's is specifically a simulator thing, due to just being able to set your happiness to whatever and the default being max happiness.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Are you sure? I hear that using Frustration to mess with dito's is specifically a simulator thing, due to just being able to set your happiness to whatever and the default being max happiness.

Oh, you're right. I always assumed the simulator automatically powered Return/Frustration to max without you being able to set happiness separately. If you put Frustration on your moveset, it does automatically lower that happiness to 0 though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Magmortar would be cool if he didn't have the Mr. Popo blackface thing going on. Everybody flips their poo poo about Jynx still but I don't think I've ever seen anybody call Magmortar out on it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Magmortar has cannons for arms and I think that's pretty cool.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

I'd love to see what they'd come up with for Mega Castform.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Militree posted:

Awesome design tier:
Mamoswine
Porygon-Z
Togekiss
Yanmega

Pretty cool tier:
Electivire
Honchkrow
Mismagius
Gliscor
Froslass

Tangrowth
Ambipom
Weavile
Gallade
Roserade
Dusknoir

Awful tier:
Rhyperior
Probopass
Magmortar

Way to completely forget Magnezone :(

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Tardigrade posted:

This guy knows what's up. Hell yeah Dunsparce buddy.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Pokemon Cofagrigus, #563 in the Pokedex:

I didn't really mind you until you came up in match #19 on Super Single Battle in Battle Maison.

Kangaskhan was switched out because of low health and your Mummy/Will-O-Wisp ability, so Chansey came in to stall.

Now I hate you with every fiber of my being. You turned a simple five minute sweep into a 38 minute slog in which you somehow managed to use Rest 18 times despite it being a max PP of 16.

When you weren't spamming Rest every turn after I Toxic'd you, you would spam Will-O-Wisp, which despite being 85% accuracy you managed to land every single turn without fail.

You used Mean Look at the start of the match to ensure Chansey could not switch out the entire time. Your only damaging move was Night Shade, which did utterly nothing at all

I would Toxic, you would rest. I'd Seismic Toss, you would burn me. You used Night Shade, I laughed at your incompetence.

At long last, you Struggled yourself to death while my Chansey Soft-Boiled one last time in utter defiance of you.

I hate you Cofagrigus, like Ahab hated the while whale.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpDGq01u0C0

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

LEGO Genetics posted:

Pokemon Cofagrigus, #563 in the Pokedex:
I hate you Cofagrigus, like Ahab hated the while whale.

This reminds me why I love Cofagrigus. Speaking of, what's the consensus on Mummy? I feel like there are a lot of abilities I'd love to get rid of (that Kangaskhan's Parental Bond comes to mind), but I also worry that I can't control when it triggers (your own contact attacks, like Astonish, don't work), so it'd be of limited usefulness if the opponent plays around it well.

Are there any situations where it's particularly good?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'd like a quick opinion about this Gyarados for triples - it's the one from the 1000W triples Maison streak:

Gyarados @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 164 HP / 196 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SDef / 68 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Return

I'm already doing Jolly instead of Adamant and am thinking of bumping up the speed further in lieu of some of the HP. Also considering running it as a MegaGyarados.. any suggested mods to the spread if I went in that direction?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

My favorite pokemon just got better :syoon:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Amperor posted:

This reminds me why I love Cofagrigus. Speaking of, what's the consensus on Mummy? I feel like there are a lot of abilities I'd love to get rid of (that Kangaskhan's Parental Bond comes to mind), but I also worry that I can't control when it triggers (your own contact attacks, like Astonish, don't work), so it'd be of limited usefulness if the opponent plays around it well.

Are there any situations where it's particularly good?

It works well on a team with archeops or slaking!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Diet Poison posted:

I'd like a quick opinion about this Gyarados for triples - it's the one from the 1000W triples Maison streak:

Gyarados @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 164 HP / 196 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SDef / 68 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Return

I'm already doing Jolly instead of Adamant and am thinking of bumping up the speed further in lieu of some of the HP. Also considering running it as a MegaGyarados.. any suggested mods to the spread if I went in that direction?
I went with 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed Adamant, which has worked pretty well, but I'm thinking of trying 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Speed with Bounce over Return. I tried Mega Gyarados, but I usually ended up using Gyarados as a switch-in to Garchomp or Tyranitar's Earthquakes, and Mega-Gyarados loses its immunity to Earthquake, which didn't synergize very well.

That said, I still use a mega for my triples team, I use DD Mega-Tyranitar over Scarf-Tar. I like it a lot better, the extra bulk, attack, and increased speed while still being able to switch moves is really nice. Setting up a DD is extra, half the time I just have Mega-Tyranitar start attacking with Rock Slide/Crunch.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 5, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I don't care how it actually moves in the anime or anything. This is how I'm always gonna picture it.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Quantum Toast posted:

I'd love to see what they'd come up with for Mega Castform.

I'd love for a Mega Castform's ability to be "Weather Alert". It would use Heat Wave/Hurricane/Blizzard when Mega'd and/or whenever weather changes (along with him changing form).

Also, have a set of weather-inducing moves that does damage (like 60, just so it's not too crazy), but only give weather for 3 turns. Call em Cloud Burst, Cold Front, Drought (Whatever. There's Feint and Feint Attack now), Kick-Up.

I have a big interest in Castform and want to see him work.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ahahaha god I almost died laughing so hard

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yestermoment posted:

I'd love for a Mega Castform's ability to be "Weather Alert". It would use Heat Wave/Hurricane/Blizzard when Mega'd and/or whenever weather changes (along with him changing form).

Also, have a set of weather-inducing moves that does damage (like 60, just so it's not too crazy), but only give weather for 3 turns. Call em Cloud Burst, Cold Front, Drought (Whatever. There's Feint and Feint Attack now), Kick-Up.

I have a big interest in Castform and want to see him work.

Instead of making a mega castform they could just buff each individual form. Make each one different, with different stats. Rain Castform with high special defense, Sun has high special attack, hail has high speed, or something along those lines. Basically, make him useless outside of weather (he already is) but make him a Pokemon with pretty good stats in weather.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Constable Lemon posted:

Instead of making a mega castform they could just buff each individual form. Make each one different, with different stats. Rain Castform with high special defense, Sun has high special attack, hail has high speed, or something along those lines. Basically, make him useless outside of weather (he already is) but make him a Pokemon with pretty good stats in weather.

Also, give him a sand form. Sand is probalby the most used and useful weather effect,so I don't know why the Pokemon entirely built around weather doesn't support it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Also, give him a sand form. Sand is probalby the most used and useful weather effect,so I don't know why the Pokemon entirely built around weather doesn't support it.

On top of that Give him a Gravity and Trick Room form.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cleretic posted:

What's weird is that even in Gen3 Weather Ball becomes Rock while it's sandstorming but Castform doesn't. Sorry little guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why does gTS suck so bad this time. I remember it being an amazing way to fill out your dex in Black and Pearl, but this gen it seems everyone wants legendaries or pokemon in a specific level range.

• Locked thread