Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

EightBit posted:

How hard would it be to mod it to only spin in one direction? It's probably electronically controlled oscillation, so you could skip the circuits that move it back and forth by just powering the motor with a switch.

If you look closer it's just three normal wiper blades mounted on a non-moving disk in the center. To get circular movement you'd have to spin a part that doesn't move. Speaking of totally stock parts, any guesses what car those headlights were originally from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Those are from a W168 series Mercedes A-Class.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/gallery-semi-truck-crashes-from-high-winds/collection_d2e6fd82-adf6-11e3-a85e-0019bb2963f4.html#1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perrine_Bridge

http://newsradio1310.com/crash-closes-perrine-bridge/

http://youtu.be/g30JShBiV00

Yeah, gently caress yesterday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is that you?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Is that you?

God no.

Enough trucks went over around me though.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

So, around Boston is this little access road, Storrow Drive. It goes along the Charles river, has a mostly 10' - 11' clearance and everyone drives on it at 55+ because there are very few places for the police to set up speed traps (plus they seem to give no fucks) Once or twice a month this happens:

It's usually college kids in UHauls that do this, but sometimes regular truck drivers do too.

Yesterday, this happened!

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/big-rig-little-highway

Of course, to get this far in, you have to pass under these:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I almost turned my tour bus into a 45' long convertible while pulling into U of I from I-74 late one night. I had to pull into a parking lot to do a 15-point turn to get myself out of the situation, which made me look like an idiot and sunk my chance of ever driving for that team again (Div. 1 NCAA trips pay better than average), but it was better than the alternative.

There was a hell of a lot working against me, though. By the time I got into town, I'd been on the road for 6 or 7 hours and it was dark. (January, probably 6pm) I missed a tiny sign about the low clearance, which hung left of the road's center line. The bridge itself was around a 90-degree corner that I'd just turned onto, so there was really no visual warning until I was already turned onto the street with nowhere else to go. Plus, this low clearance was over a US highway.. I usually stuck to US and State highways whenever possible because they're generally built for bigger vehicles.

Facing south, I'd be taking a left at the intersection. If they wanted to make the low clearance obvious, they should have added it to the bottom of the green sign on the far left, not a tiny sign with an even tinier arrow over the oncoming lane.

Turn the corner and.. Surprise! You're hosed. I had to do what the little Mazda 3 is doing, there's literally nowhere else to go besides backwards. There are lots of idiots who run into bridges after passing plenty of warnings, but this one just sets you up to fail

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Took me a minute to remember but I've been there a couple times (in a car). If you had somehow made it past that one you would have been super hosed when you got to an even lower one with no place to turn around in.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Any Southern California drivers?

I'm moving to socal at the end of this summer (currently I'm a rambling seasonal worker driving buses in alaska) and I'm curious what my options are for driving work. I've been perusing craigslist but a lot of the jobs there are either Port work which want port experience or OTR 48-state work which I don't wanna do.

I've been driving buses for 3-4 years and I'm pretty good at it, though I wouldn't mind driving a truck. I paid for my own trucking school at a jr college and have class A with all endorsements (including hazmat) but I have zero paid experience driving a truck. One of the buses I drove had a manual tranny in it though and I drove it from San Fransisco to Alaska and back. Not much, I know.

What kinda jobs are available down there for someone wanting to make money while still being home? I've looked into transit bus driving and it seems like something I have the temperament for but I'm not sure I'll make enough money at it to be happy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello I am back.

This showed up recently on my facebook feed from this winter in January where it went from -30 to +12C

Suck my dick dispatch.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I wish I had seen this thread earlier, there's been a trucker-shaped hole in my rear end heart since the last thread got closed.

Anyway, this post on the first page:

...is a bit coincidental because of this incident a few days ago. Some of the other news footage showed the "heavy equipment" to be a forklift.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Hello I am back.

This showed up recently on my facebook feed from this winter in January where it went from -30 to +12C

Suck my dick dispatch.

This is why i spent 3 days raising my air tanks and battery boxes.

if he chained up both axles, he would have made it

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

nmfree posted:

I wish I had seen this thread earlier, there's been a trucker-shaped hole in my rear end heart since the last thread got closed.

Anyway, this post on the first page:

...is a bit coincidental because of this incident a few days ago. Some of the other news footage showed the "heavy equipment" to be a forklift.

Holy poo poo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dude in a tanker just did a hit n run on me. Tore the entire front clip off the truck while trying to pass 4 of us when an oncoming car appeared...

Pics and details after my piss test.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

jonathan posted:

Dude in a tanker just did a hit n run on me. Tore the entire front clip off the truck while trying to pass 4 of us when an oncoming car appeared...

poo poo man, Hope there isn't any structural damage to the front. Assuming clip just means hood clamshell.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 1, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

Must be gently caress tanker Tuesday or something. Someone rear ended one of our four axle tankers hard enough to rip the whole loving drop axle (with steering gear) off.

Good way for your next of kin to spend $150,000 dollars I guess.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Hello trucker thread. I have made a terrible mistake and acquired a CDL. I'm shipping out for OTR orientation Sunday, via greyhound. No, it isn't with Trans-Am, Swift or Werner. :toot:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ACEofsnett posted:

Hello trucker thread. I have made a terrible mistake and acquired a CDL. I'm shipping out for OTR orientation Sunday, via greyhound. No, it isn't with Trans-Am, Swift or Werner. :toot:

I noticed CR England wasn't listed. :q:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Or Schneider, or National Freight :circlefap:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

PainterofCrap posted:

Or Schneider, or National Freight :circlefap:

J.B. Hunt still an option?

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

West SAAB Story posted:

J.B. Hunt still an option?

PAM and USA are left unmentioned as well.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

InterceptorV8 posted:

I noticed CR England wasn't listed. :q:

Clearly it's western express, because I'm a felon with dozens of drunk driving convictions. (I'm not and it's none of these!) Actually now it's up in the air, I'm waiting for a much better company to get back to me. If they do I'm canceling my orientation with the existing company.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Surrendered my CDL yesterday. :rip: Haven't driven commercially in 3 years, and never got around to renewing my physical.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ijustam posted:

Surrendered my CDL yesterday. :rip: Haven't driven commercially in 3 years, and never got around to renewing my physical.

boo!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

0rganDonor posted:

PAM and USA are left unmentioned as well.
Nobody mentioned CRST, which gave me valuable seat time to get somewhere better.

ACEofsnett posted:

Clearly it's western express, because I'm a felon with dozens of drunk driving convictions. (I'm not and it's none of these!) Actually now it's up in the air, I'm waiting for a much better company to get back to me. If they do I'm canceling my orientation with the existing company.
Go with the company with a good training program, where you get at least 2 months of having an ornery lifetimer filling your ear.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 3, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

CannonFodder posted:

you get at least 2 months of having an ornery lifetimer filling your ear.

With, uh... ?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Paging nutcup :siren:

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Here, have some rear end-puckering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd2KwjLc0bY

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

poo poo. Volvo wasn't loving around when it was showcasing its truck tech.

Either that or the lady driver had the fortune of running into the best-maintained truck in all of Russia.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I particularly love the way the truck managed to stop in time (well earned bow from the truck driver) and then the little shitbox still just coasts right into it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That looked more like a "yo, what the gently caress is wrong with you, come the gently caress on, you nearly hosed up my life" than a bow.

Shampoo posted:

So, around Boston is this little access road, Storrow Drive. It goes along the Charles river, has a mostly 10' - 11' clearance and everyone drives on it at 55+ because there are very few places for the police to set up speed traps (plus they seem to give no fucks) Once or twice a month this happens:

It's usually college kids in UHauls that do this, but sometimes regular truck drivers do too.

Yesterday, this happened!

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/big-rig-little-highway

Of course, to get this far in, you have to pass under these:

I can always tell when it's college move-in or move-out season because every drat overhead warning sign on the pike for like 50 miles is blinking RENTAL TRUCK DRIVERS: DO NOT TAKE STORROW DRIVE (NO SERIOUSLY, WE MEAN IT)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'm surprised a Dale Jr. edition Volvo made it to Europe. They only made like 150 of 'em and you'd think they all stayed in the south... but I guess Russia is the Florida of Europe.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Everyday Lurker posted:

poo poo. Volvo wasn't loving around when it was showcasing its truck tech.

Either that or the lady driver had the fortune of running into the best-maintained truck in all of Russia.

Yeah that truck doesn't have the tech on it. That's just an old American rig that just got sent over there not long ago. You'd see the magic eye in the middle of the front bumper.

Russia is like the only people mass buying our old Volvos. They loving love them over there, if you look at the video, you see another 670 earlier in the shot.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Its all nice that Volvo makes the tech to prevent accidents, but what company is going to pay thousands for it per truck when its easier to fire the driver when they gently caress up.

I've seen about 3 trucks with the lane keeping support/active cruise control/blind spot monitoring/whatever its called that looks at the drivers eyes to make sure they aren't asleep combo.

Hell actual ESP has only become standard within the last few years because its law now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah that truck doesn't have the tech on it. That's just an old American rig that just got sent over there not long ago. You'd see the magic eye in the middle of the front bumper.

Russia is like the only people mass buying our old Volvos. They loving love them over there, if you look at the video, you see another 670 earlier in the shot.

That still seems like a really short stop though. Look at how it makes those fairings (?) vibrate. At the very least good ABS? I dunno though. You'd be the expert here. :P

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

That still seems like a really short stop though. Look at how it makes those fairings (?) vibrate. At the very least good ABS? I dunno though. You'd be the expert here. :P

Let's not forget that truck could be the driver's personal rig that he bought and had shipped to Russia. He might be the only Russian driver really on his loving toes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Apparently there's a Saudi driving trucks somewhere in the states. He's good.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201924907747713

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
The US trucks don't get the Volvo ABS that they demo in those videos

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/05/05/i-15-closed-in-hesperia-as-crews-battle-bridge-fire/

I swear to god, California could start water on fire somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

pfffft Cleveland did that poo poo years ago, multiple times :supaburn:

http://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/63

• Locked thread