Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gynovore posted:

I'm still kickin' rear end in PvP with my one-star dream team; Storm, Iron Man and Black Widow. Choose a jungle setting, Storm's red to get environment AP, Thorny Rose for 5AP all over, Lightning Storm and Recon gets even more AP, Iron Man finishes.

Since I'm not going to spend $$$ on this, how hard is it to get powers for ** and *** characters? Hero points are coming in a slow trickle, are there any options other than grinding tokens for covers?

Placing in the top ~100 usually. Preferably the top ten. And getting to 300 points gets you a two star token.
But yeah, it's pretty friggin' slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gynovore posted:

I'm still kickin' rear end in PvP with my one-star dream team; Storm, Iron Man and Black Widow. Choose a jungle setting, Storm's red to get environment AP, Thorny Rose for 5AP all over, Lightning Storm and Recon gets even more AP, Iron Man finishes.

Since I'm not going to spend $$$ on this, how hard is it to get powers for ** and *** characters? Hero points are coming in a slow trickle, are there any options other than grinding tokens for covers?

Save your tokens for shields and try to rank as high as you can in the events. Maxing out certain two star characters isn't that hard but getting the covers for a three star character is difficult as anything.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Came back and found myself kicked from around 30 to the 95th spot. Been squeezing out as many matches as possible in the last 30 minutes.
I finish one last fight and end up at #51, the guy ahead of me had 4 more points. And then it booted me out cause time ran out. Ugh.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Call Me Charlie posted:

Save your tokens for shields and try to rank as high as you can in the events. Maxing out certain two star characters isn't that hard but getting the covers for a three star character is difficult as anything.
Getting enough 2* covers for some of the good characters isn't that hard, and once you have a good team, you can usually place high enough in the events for the guaranteed 3* covers. I started about six weeks ago, and I've got a couple of 3* characters at 8 covers, and at least 1 cover of most of the 3* characters.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
:stare:

Just had a cascade that killed my old Thor off. From 7,320 health to zero. 4 goddamn criticals (after Daken laid down 7 strike tiles). Against a thug, Daken, and Bullseye.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I used Patch/Punisher/OBW.

Molotov was doing 2k to each enemy after using a Berserker Rage. Retribution and a blue/pink match would finish any that survived.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I've hit a really lovely slump in these last couple of events, starting with the one requiring Lazy Cap. I didn't get a Lazy Cap cover before the thing started, so I'm all but sitting the long event out. I finally got up to #52 in the Wolvie one, but I felt like I was just spinning my wheels for most of it. Now I'm waiting for a decent time to jump into the Cap tourney, but I'm already feeling like I'm just going to fumble around in it too.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I was using spidey/hood/patch. Generally eliminate one enemy character before permastunning the other team and letting Patch loose; when enemies never attack back those enemy strike tiles aren't a big deal.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Played against two star Wolvy/OBW/Bullseye.

I was surprised how well it synergized and wrecked my poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OBW is the Force that binds the MPQ galaxy together.

And if she gets a cascade, she will gently caress you up; lack of direct damage powers be damned.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Another source of covers is the shield training in prologue. The progression rewards include Spidey covers. I don't know how realistic that is though. The top people in the bracket have half the points required for the first Spidey cover.

OBW with 5 black is pretty amazing. With about 5 boosted Wolverine strike tiles I double matched blue and purple and hit for over 1k.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You need an incredibly good team and a large grinding session set aside just to get a Thor cover out of SHIELD Training.

The training reward list was put in before any PvE events existed and other than a straight copy & paste of some extra rewards on top of it ages ago it has not seen a single revision, and the general point spread has stayed basically the same because the rewards pale in comparison to PvE/PvP events that are constantly going on. It basically exists only for grinding ISO when there isn't a PvE event on and you don't want to gently caress up your PvP tournament team.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Got this today. It's a different one this time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I made a critical error in ignoring the IM40 with only one cover in yellow. Those countdown tiles came out super fast and that wolverine red hosed me up something fierce. :(

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Having a few LazyCap covers helps a lot in this pvp event. His stun isn't terrible if I don't need to heal. His red attack is very efficient if you get the return of the countdown.

Thanks alliance buddies!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Having any would be a plus. I can barely contribute for my team. :smith:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That's nice. I lost 200 points overnight.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

This Unstable ISO-8 PVE event kinda sucks. I'm at #10 with 36k points and #1 is sitting at 37k points. With 1d11h left it doesn't look like anybody will come close to the 160k progression reward. Now there's only 2 possible ways for this event to end:

1. Giant point inflation and rubberbanding at the final nodes lets everyone get the 160k progression rewards, which would render the first 5 days of gameplay largely meaningless (in terms of point gain).

2. Node values don't change, everyone finishes with ~50k points, nobody gets anything, yawn.

The only thing to look forward to in this event is Human Torch. Other than that, this event is pretty flaccid.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This haves vs. have nots bullshit is getting pretty old. There are two trivial missions on the event map that I could get like 1400-2200+ points for but you have to have loving lazy Cap to even do them. Meanwhile I'm struggling through missions that are 5 times as hard for 10 times fewer points.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Syrinxx posted:

This haves vs. have nots bullshit is getting pretty old. There are two trivial missions on the event map that I could get like 1400-2200+ points for but you have to have loving lazy Cap to even do them. Meanwhile I'm struggling through missions that are 5 times as hard for 10 times fewer points.

For the low price of :38bux:, you too could have a Lazy Cap*.

*May not guarantee a Lazy Cap

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I wish they would show the drop tables for the other ones as well.

Syrinxx posted:

Not that it isn't bs, but if you did halfway decently in the Wolverine tournament that ended recently, lazyCap was the reward for anyone in the top 75(I think). I just waited until I got the reward to really start on the PVE event.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

Largepotato posted:

While possible, the odds of getting at least 1 cap cover from the 10 pack is 99.999999642% .

On the other hand, getting 2 or more lazy cap covers is only 43% probability.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Largepotato posted:

I guess that makes me lucky cause I just got a lazy Cap from that token you get for reaching 300 points in his tourney.
Too bad I have no space for him!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Syrinxx posted:

Yeah this. I was really liking the game for the past month: granted, it's just Bejewelled with a coat of paint, but it's a nice shiny coat of paint in my favorite color (Marvel). But, it's looking like the high levels will require either :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: or major grinding.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

Yeah this. I was really liking the game for the past month: granted, it's just Bejewelled with a coat of paint, but it's a nice shiny coat of paint in my favorite color (Marvel). But, it's looking like the high levels will require either :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: :20bux: :10bux: or major grinding.

It's a trap anyways. If you spend a thousand bucks to max 2-3 characters then the only thing that you'll get is to have the pleasure to be matched against the other whales, which will have more character maxed and a thus a bigger chance at getting a few of them boosted.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

slightlyslow posted:

While possible, the odds of getting at least 1 cap cover from the 10 pack is 99.999999642% .

On the other hand, getting 2 or more lazy cap covers is only 43% probability.

Not sure what whacky maths you used to work that out.

I get only a 78.6% chance of a Lazy Cap from a 10 pack.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Largepotato posted:

Yeah, you have better odds than that in Puzzle & Dragons skill-up roulette (20%) and we have had people going for 36 spins without luck. 10 pulls with a 15% chance are crap odds (for the ridiculous amount you pay).

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.

Largepotato posted:

Welp, I suck at calculating binomial probabilities, you're right. Those are really bad odds.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This event's going to come down to "Who's on at 12:00 p.m. that can play."

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

CaptainScraps posted:

This event's going to come down to "Who's on at 12:00 p.m. that can play."

Basically. I've been at rank 2 in the event and come back a few hours later to be well under 200. There's a huge amount of people crammed into a very very small point spread. I thought it ended today and was annoyed to see it going until tomorrow because I honestly just want it to be done.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I went from top 25 to under 350, because I was focused on the PVP event! 5th place and shielded, and now I have to work. Hopefully I can stay in the top 10.

I love losing to bullshit cascades. Love it. I benefit occasionally too, but when the AIs OBW gets enough AP on turn 2 to lock me out of the match, it gets pretty annoying. Happened to me twice in a row basically. I just decided to shield since I was out of health packs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I haven't played this game in quite a long time, have they gotten around to funbalancing Spider-Man or are they just focused on churning out new heroes at a really high pace? I think I quit right after Ares or Psylocke came out.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Recently I've gotten very tired of this game's "rich gets richer" approach and the week-long tournaments, so I'm dropping out of Pizza Dog in order to make room for someone who puts more effort into this.

I've had my fun and haven't paid a buck, so I guess I can't complain.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

rabidsquid posted:

I haven't played this game in quite a long time, have they gotten around to funbalancing Spider-Man or are they just focused on churning out new heroes at a really high pace? I think I quit right after Ares or Psylocke came out.

Spider-man is still a "you win" card on offense. Magneto is still the same too.

They also funbalanced Thor and then introduced LazyThor, which is the same Thor, but more powerful.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 6, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Fat Samurai posted:

Recently I've gotten very tired of this game's "rich gets richer" approach and the week-long tournaments, so I'm dropping out of Pizza Dog in order to make room for someone who puts more effort into this.

Any chance I could have this spot?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats your in game name so I can approve your spot?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Fat Samurai posted:

Week long tournaments aside, you only have to try hard once to join the rich, you know.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Whats your in game name so I can approve your spot?

BobSocko

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh, have you applied to join yet? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Just did, I didn't want to do so without asking first. :)