Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah you just lose clothing as you take damage, which makes no sense even in context since you're just possessing the bodies of random soldiers and IIRC everyone else sees you as said soldiers so there's pretty much no justification for the clothes ripping at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PE2 is a different game but it's a much better one, with a lot of nicely differentiated guns to use as opposed to the first game's millions of numerical variations on half a dozen basic models. It also has some of the best monster design I've seen in a game.

A lot of PE1's praise is a product of its time. It was a trial run of Final Fantasy 8's FMV engine and nothing else on the market had cinematics anywhere near as good. It was also something of a prototype for what would become Vagrant Story's combat system. Being set in modern times with a female protagonist that gets things done and wears sensible clothing were all pretty novel concepts, too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on that point. None of those are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2y4Nqku2o and don't do as much for me. Really though, Scars of Time could be every song on CC's soundtrack and I'd be ok with that.

EDIT: That said, I think the various battle themes in Xenogears are ahead of most of Chrono Cross so I'll give you that.

Morpheus posted:

I've noticed that none of those are the Gaur Plains theme from Xenoblade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweRl4LZlmo

or this ambient tune from Satori Marsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BvWPzAg8Ig

or this night-time tune from the massive Eryth Sea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MORt3P92HKs

But on an attempt not to lead this to video spamming, I finished Parasite Eve a couple nights ago. I have no idea why that game gets the praise it does. Some neat mechanics, yes, but some really dumb ones too and a script that's just ridiculous in the worst ways.

MY MITOCHONDRIA ARE BETTER THAN YOUR MITOCHONDRIA RAAAAR

Xenoblade's soundtrack was fabulous and it so matched the mood of whatever it was accompanying. God that game so was so amazing. Is it being re-released for the Wii-U in HD at some point? I seem to recall hearing that once upon a time.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 3, 2014

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I enjoyed Xenoblade quite a bit, but I thought the whole "BEST JRPG IN A DECADE!" hype was a bit much. It started to unravel towards the end for me, but it still ended up being a very good game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Levantine posted:

Xenoblade's soundtrack was fabulous and it so matched the mood of whatever it was accompanying. God that game so was so amazing. Is it being re-released for the Wii-U in HD at some point? I seem to recall hearing that once upon a time.

We can agree on this point. Haven't heard of an HD remake I wouldn't be surprised if they went that way to drive some sales. X however is the sequel and is denitely a thing. I remember exploring those plains and just being awestruck at how good the music was.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hubris.height posted:

We can agree on this point. Haven't heard of an HD remake I wouldn't be surprised if they went that way to drive some sales. X however is the sequel and is denitely a thing. I remember exploring those plains and just being awestruck at how good the music was.

I remember really liking that music, but my most striking memory of the game was running around Eryth Sea at night, that tranquil-as-gently caress music playing, looking up and seeing the shooting stars, and just being blown away at the scale of it all.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Levantine posted:

Didn't he almost die after doing the CC soundtrack or something? I read something to the effect that he is such a perfectionist and he worked so hard and so long on it he suffered exhaustion, but that could be hyperbole.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened with other games, but it was definitely Xenosaga that was the worst for Mitsuda. It's not hyperbole either, the dude almost worked himself to death composing that soundtrack. Some of it was literally work to the point of exhaustion and pass out stuff.

I'll always champion it as his swan song (but everything else posted in here is great too).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

To this day Pain is my favorite JRPG ballad. "Small Two of Pieces" is equally great but I played Xenosaga first so that helps edge it out.

Having the same singer return for Xenosaga was really cool.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

To this day Pain is my favorite JRPG ballad. "Small Two of Pieces" is equally great but I played Xenosaga first so that helps edge it out.

Having the same singer return for Xenosaga was really cool.
It makes sense, but the same singer also returned for Small Two of Pieces on the arrange album.

Speaking of arrange albums, I'm still waiting for the Chrono Cross one. It took 13 years for the Xenogears one to be released—the album was literally named Myth—so according to that schedule it should be out.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Morpheus posted:

I remember really liking that music, but my most striking memory of the game was running around Eryth Sea at night, that tranquil-as-gently caress music playing, looking up and seeing the shooting stars, and just being blown away at the scale of it all.

Oh god yeah, everything in the atmosphere of that game was so well done. :allears:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Chrono Trigger's got Schala's Theme, Corridors of Time, and Confronting Magus. I honestly don't think Mitsuda's ever topped those outside of Time's Scar.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

The Joe Man posted:

It's the closest we'll ever get to Ultima Underworld III (unfortunately). It's still good, but check out Ultima Underworld I & II if you enjoy Arx. UWII is probably my favorite RPG of all time.

I'll give it a shot after I finish this. Since I'm enjoying it more than I expected.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sakurazuka posted:

Why is Symphonia 2 considered so bad? I played an hour or so of it when I got Chronicles and it seemed okay, just didn't go any further because I wanted to finish the first one first.

It's a combination of a whole bunch of things, it's hard to pin it on anything specific. The two main characters are very easy to dislike (Emil for being whiny, Marta for being clingy), the plot is dumb, the returning ToS1 characters feel shoehorned in, half the dungeons are just redoing the seal dungeons from ToS1, the battle system feels sluggish and lacks impact compared to any other Tales battle system, and there's a whole bunch of bad gameplay related design decisions like locking ToS1 characters to whatever level they happened to join the party and putting defend and free run on the same button (which is really fun combined with the damage/hitstun penality for getting hit while freerunning).

If you play it, play it for Tenebrae and the skits. Everything else ranges from bad to meh.

I mean, I suppose it's not awful and it certainly got an undeserved bad reputation among JRPG fans for repeating a really dumb phrase a couple times in chapter 1 which people like to latch onto, but it's really just the overall game package being underwhelming. Quality wise it fits closer with those PSP Tales of the World spinoffs than an actual game in the main series, and you don't even get much of the fanservice here unless you really really love Symphonia -- and in that case you'll probably be annoyed that they changed six of the ToS1 party member voice actors!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 4, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
On the topic of tri-Ace, the VP game for DS is also a lot of fun, and I (though I think a lot of people disagree) really loved Radiata Stories.

In my experience their games are either a lot of fun or the loving worst.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

On the topic of tri-Ace, the VP game for DS is also a lot of fun, and I (though I think a lot of people disagree) really loved Radiata Stories.

I agree with all of this. Some of my favorite games ever are Tri-Ace games. Some of the games I hate more than anything are Tri-Ace games. They're really weird that way.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

fronz posted:

Radiata Stories might not have the most exciting battle system, but man does the world have ton of charm to it.

Also, Jack's power walk animation is the best walk animation in video games. :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Not sure if someone else has posted about this in another thread but apparently a new Wild ARMs game is in the works.

What timing. I just got WA3. Well I ordered it off ebay because it was the cheapest of all five. WA is another series I've been wanting to get my foot in the door with.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If it's a mobile social card game I will stab someone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

If it's a mobile social card game I will stab someone.

This. This so loving hard.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In the grim darkness of the far future of Japan there are only mobile card games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Technically, Metal Gear Ac!d was a card game spin-off of a Japanese franchise, and that game ruled.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I thought I had forgotten the pain of the BoF6 announcement too

:smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Technically, Metal Gear Ac!d was a card game spin-off of a Japanese franchise, and that game ruled.

Every time I read mobile/social card game my head says "It could be like Ac!d" and it never, ever is.

Fortune, you were a minor character in the one game you appeared in but I'll be damned if you weren't game breakingly powerful in card form.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
At this point it's probably best if my favorite RPG series ever (Suikoden) doesn't get a sixth game. The most I want is for re-releases/ports of 2-5 so that they're more affordable for more people. Suikoden VI can live on in my wacky time-travel RPG Maker pipe dream anyway.

Speaking of Suikoden, did anyone ever play the J-only PSP Suikoden? How was it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CVagts posted:

I never played it, but the people who did posted their reactions and they were along the lines of "Why do some of the Stars of Destiny not even have a portrait?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CVagts posted:

I heard it was worse than Tierkreis, which is no slouch in the "terrible" department.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

CVagts posted:

As a Suikoden game, it's really bad. As a generic JRPG, it's alright. Pretty much the same deal as Tierkreis. It also continues the weird multiverse thing that Tierkreis started, and the end goal is defeating a super monster (god maybe? I don't know) that wants to destroy the world.

The battle victory theme might sound familiar too, so anytime you complete a battle it's like the game is going "haha remember Suikoden? What a great series! Here's something to remind you how good it was."

I really love the Suikoden series, but it's best to just pretend that the series ended with the fifth main game. :(

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

BloodWulfe posted:

As a Suikoden game, it's really bad. As a generic JRPG, it's alright. Pretty much the same deal as Tierkreis. It also continues the weird multiverse thing that Tierkreis started, and the end goal is defeating a super monster (god maybe? I don't know) that wants to destroy the world.

The battle victory theme might sound familiar too, so anytime you complete a battle it's like the game is going "haha remember Suikoden? What a great series! Here's something to remind you how good it was."

I really love the Suikoden series, but it's best to just pretend that the series ended with the fifth main game. :(

What exactly killed that series so dead? I don't remember five being particularly poorly received; I thought it was the best in the franchise, aside from those godawful load times.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It never really recovered from IV, and V was released with no marketing at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agnostalgia posted:

What exactly killed that series so dead? I don't remember five being particularly poorly received; I thought it was the best in the franchise, aside from those godawful load times.

The franchise, like most now-dead JRPG franchises, was not growing its audience or maintaining the audience it had.

It wasn't attracting new players and the developers have stated that they got feedback that people found the franchise hard to get into due to the interconnected setting and characters. (That is why the DS and PSP games went to the weird multiverse generic-JRPG thing.) Add into that Suikoden IV killing a lot of franchise goodwill and it basically never recovered.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 5, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

It wasn't attracting new players and the developers have stated that they got feedback that people found the franchise hard to get into due to the interconnected setting and characters.

That's really a shame because that was one of the main selling points for me, especially since the JRPG genre staple is for sequels to be their own thing and often not even set in the same world.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Anyone else looking forward to Bound by Flame? From the gameplay footage I'm getting a Dragon's Dogma vibe from it. Any idea what the main development console for it is?

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Agnostalgia posted:

The focus on a really tight narrative, persistent character development, and general world building were some of my favorite parts of the series, and traits you really don't see in other JRPGs. This ended up alienating new players as ImpAtom pointed out.

I could only find the Famitsu sales numbers, but for reference: Suikoden III sold 377k, Suikoden IV sold 303k, and Suikoden V sold 194k. Seeing a sharp drop like that over the years, especially as the console install base was growing, probably wasn't a great sign.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Didn't the writer for the first three Suikoden games up and quit midway through III, too? I remember vague complaints about them not knowing what to do with the story in addition to not wanting to add onto it for the reasons ImpAtom mentioned.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, he did. That's kind of the least of S3's problems, though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, he did. That's kind of the least of S3's problems, though.

No complaints there. I'm glad somebody bothered to put the plot in a manga because otherwise I'd have never been able to penetrate that game's slow jank to get the story.

I slogged through all of IV just because I was so happy that the battle system had returned to something resembling the old games (which is weird because of how slow the ocean parts play out).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

I slogged through all of IV just because I was so happy that the battle system had returned to something resembling the old games (which is weird because of how slow the ocean parts play out).

Suikoden IV tried so hard to be a 'real' Suikoden game after Suikoden III that it forgot to be a good game. It has all these callbacks and references and is basically them screaming "it isn't Suikoden III again, guys" and then they just made it a bad game. :smith:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I actually liked Suikoden 3 though, jankyness and all. Four on the other hand...oh god, that sure is a game. Five was decent enough though.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

goldjas posted:

I actually liked Suikoden 3 though, jankyness and all. Four on the other hand...oh god, that sure is a game. Five was decent enough though.

This is exactly how I feel. I really enjoyed Suikoden III, including the goofy Trinity Sight System. I just could not get into the fourth game though. The party size, characters, sailing, story, progression, and worst of all the 150 year time jump, everything just felt like they tried but totally missed the mark. They also made Schtolteheim Reinbach III a star of destiny which was shameful.

It also got a [disappointing] spin-off game that I wish they would've done with Suikoden II, instead of that GBA card game spin-off it got.

Suikoden IV did have the coolest looking true rune though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Related to this thread but: I just finished Half-Minute Hero 2 and it's a really weird game. The first game is like a parody of JRPGs but the second one is just an RPG. Like flat-out just an RPG. It still has the 30-second timer gimmicks but there are periods without it including an entire huge bonus dungeon which is entirely untimed, and the story is a lot more straight-JRPG than the first one. It's still got comedy but if it wasn't for the 30 second gimmick it could be a Tales plot or whatever and I wouldn't notice.