Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

venutolo posted:

Because it is awesome?

That lasagna changed my world. I really need to go back and try it again, especially now that the Edgewood bridge is back open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

That lasagna changed my world. I really need to go back and try it again, especially now that the Edgewood bridge is back open.

My favorite thing I've had there was some strano pasta in a Gorgonzola cream sauce with some mortadella and broccoli rabe. I will try the lasagna next time (which may be tomorrow).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

We went to Alfredo's tonight on Cheshire Bridge rd. This was our first time, and oh boy, did it deliver! It's not foodie-food, but who cares, they have a giant greek Acropolis style fish aquarium, old dudes serving all the tables, and the highest butter fat content meal I've had this decade. Highly recommended for a change of pace!

ive been systematically curious about and scared of this place for over 8 years. have never been. fearing the worst.

ditto for a few other places along that strip - though I recently went to the colonnade, and ... well, I mean it wasn't great, but it felt right in so many weird ways. have been back a couple times since. hangover food mostly, I guess - though I'd be curious to see what the crowd is like at 9-10pm on a saturday.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mindphlux posted:

ditto for a few other places along that strip - though I recently went to the colonnade, and ... well, I mean it wasn't great, but it felt right in so many weird ways.

Blech. I was expecting better fried chicken based on their rep.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Gunshow tonight and had an awesome meal. By some great fortune, all the menu items I was most interested in trying came out first for me, so I only turned down one item (a samosa snack item). My favorite things tonight were the Kung Pao Brussels sprouts, "closed on Sunday" chicken sandwich (fantastic version of a Chick-fil-a sandwich), and the roasted foie gras with a pistachio-truffle baklava and some strawberries and rhubarb.

One thing I find interesting at Gunshow is that a number of the desserts I've had there are deconstructed versions of some traditional dessert, and they're not awful. Most of the time when I've had deconstructed desserts, they end up loving up something good, like when I had a comically awful deconstructed cheesecake at King + Duke a while ago. However the ones I've had at Gunshow have been really good. Tonight I had a deconstructed version of Key Lime pie (probably my favorite type of pie), and it was really good. The last time I was at Gunshow I had their deconstructed apple pie (not a type of pie I typically like very much), and it was phenomenal.

Anyway, the real reason I was to post about my Gunshow experience was that I'm pretty sure the couple next to me was on a first date and Gunshow was an awful choice for them. Apparently, he chose Gunshow because she describer herself as a "foodie". She was not someone who was an adventurous eater or decently versed in food.

She turned down the Brussels sprouts and it came up that she had never had one in her life. The next thing that came out was scallops, which she doesn't eat. Then came out soft-shelled crab, which I think was a totally foreign concept to her. She seemed uncertain what crab was ("like lobster?", to which the chef seemed stumped how to explain what crab was), and had a hard time believing that one could eat the shell. She turned down the fried oysters later (I'm guessing she's not into seafood). She also wouldn't eat the beef tartare due to it being raw.

I normally zone out and don't pay any attention to anyone near me when at a restaurant, but I was transfixed at how bad a choice of restaurant this was for a first date with someone who described herself as a "foodie".

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Breakfast All Day posted:

I like Yeah Burger's beef burger, but I'm in the same boat in that I'd almost always choose 5 Guys for that genre of burger because YB's value just isn't there. Their bison patty is awful, though, and it's really hard to gently caress up a bison burger. They have a decent cobb salad, which is something most every place manages to do terribly despite how easy it is. Still pricey.

I haven't been to Flip since its first year because of novelty over quality. Has it improved?

If you were to grab a bison burger somewhere in town, where would you go? I've been looking to give them a shot without having to wander into the tourist trap that is Ted's.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Seconding the bison burger question. I go through Atlanta every year and just found this thread. I see Brickstore in the OP but seriously it is the greatest. I can't just drive through Atlanta anymore. I always stop there and order whatever new drink I don't recognize.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

venutolo posted:

I normally zone out and don't pay any attention to anyone near me when at a restaurant, but I was transfixed at how bad a choice of restaurant this was for a first date with someone who described herself as a "foodie".

Sounds like a great first date as long as the guy doesn't ignore the gigantic flashing signal lights around that red flag.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

mindphlux posted:

ive been systematically curious about and scared of this place for over 8 years. have never been. fearing the worst.

Exactly right!!! I just had a craving for something odd and Alferdo's delivered ten-fold-my-expectations of weirdness. The food was actually insanely flavorful, albeit not foodie-food.

The old guy wearing safety glasses the entire time added to the mystique of this glorious establishment (circa 1974). It's like a set out of a Godfather film, for reals. It's one of those quirky restaurants all the old people in Atlanta eat at, which is to say the food is better than I expected. Lots of crazy experimental young folk in there too, trying to figure out the place. it's an experience.

It's the anti-Ford Fry restaurant... 'nuff said

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

Exactly right!!! I just had a craving for something odd and Alferdo's delivered ten-fold-my-expectations of weirdness. The food was actually insanely flavorful, albeit not foodie-food.

The old guy wearing safety glasses the entire time added to the mystique of this glorious establishment (circa 1974). It's like a set out of a Godfather film, for reals. It's one of those quirky restaurants all the old people in Atlanta eat at, which is to say the food is better than I expected. Lots of crazy experimental young folk in there too, trying to figure out the place. it's an experience.

It's the anti-Ford Fry restaurant... 'nuff said

nice, I'll give it the old college try. I think that's why I sort of liked the colonnade.

The Marauder posted:

If you were to grab a bison burger somewhere in town, where would you go? I've been looking to give them a shot without having to wander into the tourist trap that is Ted's.

...... why do you even want to seek out a bison burger? If you're really set on it (just get a normal burger!) maybe pick up a patty from wholefoods.

venutolo posted:

hilarious, and cringeworthy. glad we're all continuing to have decent times there though. Katie wanted reservations for a group to go there for her birthday, so I think we'll be going next weekend. lookin forward to it.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 6, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It may be heretical to some/most, but the Bison burger at The Vortex is pretty spiffy---and I'm somebody that generally eats a lot of home cooking lamb, buffalo, etc.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sadly all the bison burgers I've ever had have been really dry, uniformly underseasoned, and relatively flavorless. if there's actually a good one out there, I guess count me in as curious!

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
They have one at Cypress St Pint and Plate, but I have never had it. That is surprising since I go in there a few days a week after/during work.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I owe one of my groomsmen his gift from over a year ago, and I'm finally gonna have the opportunity to buy him a fancy dinner this Saturday. I'd like to max out at 70 dollars per person, what's the good poo poo these days? Last time I asked this question the answer was Bacchanalia, Restaurant Eugene, and some other thing I can't remember. So far we've already eaten at Woodfire Grill and 4th & Swift. I actually preferred the latter myself, even if it was half as expensive. The only caveat is he doesn't drink and can't eat pork.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The General Muir has their own baker now:

quote:

Effective immediately, Rob Alexander—the mastermind behind Holeman & Finch’s bread program and most recently Alon’s Bakery & Market—has joined forces with chef Todd Ginsberg and the General Muir team. He will now be baking all of the restaurant's breads in-house, including challah (egg bread), rye, ciabatta, and cranberry-walnut.

MiddleFinger
Jul 12, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I owe one of my groomsmen his gift from over a year ago, and I'm finally gonna have the opportunity to buy him a fancy dinner this Saturday. I'd like to max out at 70 dollars per person, what's the good poo poo these days? Last time I asked this question the answer was Bacchanalia, Restaurant Eugene, and some other thing I can't remember. So far we've already eaten at Woodfire Grill and 4th & Swift. I actually preferred the latter myself, even if it was half as expensive. The only caveat is he doesn't drink and can't eat pork.

You'd be hard-pressed to make it out of Bacch or Eugene for $70/person.

That being said, you still have a few pretty stellar options in your price range:

Cakes & Ale (would be my personal choice, but it can be pricy)
Abattoir (Hector Santiago is an awesome person and one of Atlanta's great chefs)
Sotto Sotto
Tavola
Antico
Umi (might be pushing it, $-wise.)
Miller Union

There are plenty more, but the above would be on my shortlist, with Cakes & Ale and Abattoir being the top two.

MiddleFinger fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 15, 2014

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Here is a really fascinating piece on an Antico clone that opened up in LA recently. It's fascinating the effect that little pizza shop is having. Every time I drive past, it seems some new shop has opened in the area.
http://www.laweekly.com/2014-04-10/eatdrink/desano-review-neapolitan-pizza-in-east-hollywood-by-way-of-atlanta/

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Now that I live ITP and not with my in-laws, would anyone be interested in doing a pot-luck dinner once a month? It wouldn't have to be a goon-only thing. We can't really afford to eat out so much but we can afford to make a dish and share with everyone.

Is this something you would be interested in? A once a month outdoor summer series... maybe with a food theme and location rotation?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

York_M_Chan posted:

Now that I live ITP and not with my in-laws, would anyone be interested in doing a pot-luck dinner once a month? It wouldn't have to be a goon-only thing. We can't really afford to eat out so much but we can afford to make a dish and share with everyone.

Is this something you would be interested in? A once a month outdoor summer series... maybe with a food theme and location rotation?

I lurk this thread and don't ever really post but if there's interest I could be down for this.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

I lurk this thread and don't ever really post but if there's interest I could be down for this.

I'm down. Let's make this happen.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone try Bhojanic in Buckhead yet? I heard they have Chicken 65. We're going to try it tonite.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've had an awful last few weeks at work grinding to get a project done, so this weekend I wanted to go out and indulge myself (more so than usual) to celebrate finishing. I wanted to go to Gunshow tonight, but I showed up at 6:10 (10 minutes after they open) and their walk-in seating was already full. :argh:

I ended up going to Bocca Lupo and to celebrate their one year anniversary, their tasting menu was comprised of their most popular dishes. It was really good. Despite loving the food, I can't really decide if I like the the place overall. I just can't seem to feel comfortable there. It is a very weird feeling for me since good food typically trumps all.

Anyway, the octopus there is ridiculously good and I want to eat an absurd amount of it. I think I've actually enjoyed their appetizers more than the their pasta, so next time I might just order one of every appetizer and see how that goes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I've had an awful last few weeks at work grinding to get a project done, so this weekend I wanted to go out and indulge myself (more so than usual) to celebrate finishing. I wanted to go to Gunshow tonight, but I showed up at 6:10 (10 minutes after they open) and their walk-in seating was already full. :argh:

I ended up going to Bocca Lupo and to celebrate their one year anniversary, their tasting menu was comprised of their most popular dishes. It was really good. Despite loving the food, I can't really decide if I like the the place overall. I just can't seem to feel comfortable there. It is a very weird feeling for me since good food typically trumps all.

Anyway, the octopus there is ridiculously good and I want to eat an absurd amount of it. I think I've actually enjoyed their appetizers more than the their pasta, so next time I might just order one of every appetizer and see how that goes.

I agree with you about bocca lupo. something feels off to me, and I can't for the LIFE of me figure out what it is. having known so many ventures that have came and gone in that space, I almost feel like it's the address that is haunted.

We went to gunshow last night for Katie's birthday. 8 person party, so they did a set menu for us. service was very miss - like some of our people ordered drinks that didn't come until 5 courses into our set course menu. Also those five courses came within the first 20 minutes of us sitting down. Almost inexcusable, but it seemed like half of our party didn't notice, and I'm sort of confrontation adverse, so I didn't make a big deal about it.

food was ok, but only ok, and kevin was even in the house. saw the hostess be really rude to more than a couple walkins who didn't make the cut. I don't know, the whole experience made me kind of :(

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

mindphlux posted:

food was ok, but only ok, and kevin was even in the house. saw the hostess be really rude to more than a couple walkins who didn't make the cut. I don't know, the whole experience made me kind of :(

That kinda sucks, as I'm sure you guys were really looking forward to a wonderful culinary experience there.

We ended up at Tomo in north Buckhead last night. It was shockingly really drat good sushi! The place was a little "buckheady", but that only applied to the clientele, as the food was super duper. For a nice sushi establishment, the prices were on par, if not cheaper, than other run of the mill stripmall sushi joints. Some items were way overpriced, but the rolls and basic sushi dishes with rice made to perfection, were a bargain. We will go back, but probably to sit at the bar for a more informal meal. They're also doing a whole tuna chef-demo next week or something kinda cool.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If some people are still interested, I have an idea for a meetup. We could go to Gato on Sunday night for Jarrett Stieber's Eat Me Speak Me pop-up dinner. I think it would be good for a small group. If we could throw together a group of four to six, I think that'd be ideal.

Jarrett does a pop-up lunch Wednesdays through Fridays at The General Muir and I've had his stuff a handful of times and really been impressed (plus he's a nice guy). I went to his dinner at Gato tonight and enjoyed myself. I think he's rather talented and doing some really good stuff despite lacking a home base.

Eat Me Speak Me
Q&A: Jarrett Stieber Starts 2014 With New Pop-Ups
Barley + Rye: Pop-up chef Jarrett Stieber connects with Atlanta’s best drink makers

e: He's also got brief writeup in the most recent Atlanta Magazine.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 21, 2014

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010
Does anyone know of any good barbecue places around Sandy Springs/Buckhead/Dunwoody area? I visit Slope's pretty regularly but I have this feeling there's a hidden gem that I haven't yet discovered.

Damage8185 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 22, 2014

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Damage8185 posted:

Does anyone know of any good barbecue places around Sandy Springs/Buckhead/Dunwoody area? I visit Slope's pretty regularly but I have this feeling there's a hidden gem that I haven't yet discovered.

Not in those places, but adjacent: Heirloom Market.

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010

venutolo posted:

Thanks. I'll have to try it out this week.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

venutolo posted:

Seconding Heirloom Market, especially if they have the tofu side on the menu because that thing is PERFECTION.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Go ahead and crucify me but Jim N' Nicks has made me realize that most GA BBQ is crap. I don't get it, it's a chain!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Go ahead and crucify me but Jim N' Nicks has made me realize that most GA BBQ is crap. I don't get it, it's a chain!

what

who

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Greater Good BBQ on Roswell Road is pretty good!

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Damage8185 posted:

Both BBQ 1 and Righteous Que are good and reasonably close to Sandy Springs (they are in East Cobb, just across the river).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

FordCQC posted:

Both BBQ 1 and Righteous Que are good and reasonably close to Sandy Springs (they are in East Cobb, just across the river).

Yeah, any of the BBQ places that have their genesis from Sam & Dave's BBQ are all good and pretty similar. That list is Sam's BBQ1, Dave Poe's BBQ, Community Q, and Grand Champion BBQ.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't been to many BBQ places in the area yet but I thoroughly enjoyed Fat Matt's. Bone Lick was nice too but I felt like it was a little pricey.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

http://www.jimnnicks.com/

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

I haven't been to many BBQ places in the area yet but I thoroughly enjoyed Fat Matt's. Bone Lick was nice too but I felt like it was a little pricey.

Fat Matt's has the only vinegar based sauce I've ever liked. The only downside is price and portions.

Damage8185
Mar 29, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Jim n' Nicks is popular in Atlanta simply because the area has become so commercialized that mom and pop places are hard to come by. They cater at my work every few months, but I've never deliberately gone to one of their locations.

Ob's is located in Mcdonough, and has some decent BBQ. I almost went to the beer, bourbon and BBQ festival they had in Atlantic Station a few months ago. Work decided to have other plans, but I'm making it my mission to attend at least one of these in the next year.

Damage8185 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 22, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Damage8185 posted:

Jim n' Nicks is popular in Atlanta simply because

I don't know anyone irl who has even heard of these guys, and I asked around. I must be out of the loop. :( where did you and croatoan come across them? maybe I need to add to my sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

I don't know anyone irl who has even heard of these guys, and I asked around. I must be out of the loop. :( where did you and croatoan come across them? maybe I need to add to my sources.

For me I just happened to work about 5 minutes from their Smyrna location. I'm actually a bit sick of it because when I have to take a client to lunch we always take them there since everyone friggin loves it.