Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Cannibal Banisher cults: The Good Guys

At least they aren't tearing apart the universe to conjure sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
In some of the preview material back in 2004 I could have sworn there was a Banisher group straight out of Boondock Saints (which I thought was a lot cooler in 2004 than I do today), I forget if they stuck around or not.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

pospysyl posted:

At least they aren't tearing apart the universe to conjure sandwiches.

Aren't they, though? Don't Banishers still, you know, cast magic?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

Cannibal Banisher cults: The Good Guys

c'mon guys, the Timori legacy are No True Banishers.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Exrandu posted:

If you've read the Banishers book and don't think they're the "good guys", I don't know what book you read.

One thing I like about Mage is that even though the villains are, of course, depicted as just the Worst People, it's not hard to see things from the villains' perspective. Magic is dangerous.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

One thing I like about Mage is that even though the villains are, of course, depicted as just the Worst People, it's not hard to see things from the villains' perspective. Magic is dangerous.

While I can sort of see things from the perspective of the Banishers, I've never really been able to get behind the Seers. They can talk a good game about keeping magic out of the hands of the unworthy, but at the end of the day they're not just controlling access to magic, but also spreading war, poverty, paranoia, hatred, and all that wonderful poo poo that would be purely Nephandic in Ascension.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Pussy Cartel posted:

While I can sort of see things from the perspective of the Banishers, I've never really been able to get behind the Seers. They can talk a good game about keeping magic out of the hands of the unworthy, but at the end of the day they're not just controlling access to magic, but also spreading war, poverty, paranoia, hatred, and all that wonderful poo poo that would be purely Nephandic in Ascension.

If you can't picture the Seers as sympathetic villains, you probably can't picture the powerful people irl who do terrible things for money and influence as sympathetic villains - oh. Carry on, then

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
My Life with the Mage Kill Kult: the Banisher Chronicle

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."
I enjoy describing Mage: The Awakening to people as, "The game where you play traitors to Earth who are sympathetic to invaders from another dimension. They attempt to bridge the terrible void between our world and another and turn our dimension into that one."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mages believe that they need to remove "the Lie" so that humanity can embrace reality. This is like removing your skin so that you can "really feel" what the world is like.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Exrandu posted:

I enjoy describing Mage: The Awakening to people as, "The game where you play traitors to Earth who are sympathetic to invaders from another dimension. They attempt to bridge the terrible void between our world and another and turn our dimension into that one."

But no you see earth is already being invaded by monsters from anoother dimension whenever we overindulge. The good invaders will let us hey, where are you going? Stop and listen!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

A Storytelling Game of Insane People Ranting on the Subway.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Cabbit posted:

A Storytelling Game of Insane People Ranting on the Subway.

A Game Where the Man is Literally Just Keeping Us Down Dude!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Zikan posted:

A Game Where the Man is Literally Just Keeping Us Down Dude!

A game where This Would All Be Fixed If I Was Running Things: the Silver Ladder story

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Silver Ladder does NOT want to be in charge, just to make sure that whoever's in charge takes care to run all their ideas by the Silver Ladder.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ferrinus posted:

The Silver Ladder does NOT want to be in charge, just to make sure that whoever's in charge takes care to run all their ideas by the Silver Ladder.

Jafar, the splatbook

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Now, in the wake of that regrettable incident, Ladder training manuals emphatically instruct trainees to just immediately become an all-powerful sorcerer and save the other two wishes for a rainy day.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Silver Ladder Law #34: I may be a Life Master, but I will not use this power to turn into a giant snake. It never helps.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Uhhhh, point of order. Turning into a giant snake did help. As a titanic cobra, Jafar handily (figuratively speaking) seized and immobilized Aladdin. In fact, it was Jafar's decision to stop being a giant snake that did him in.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Specifically, it was Jafar's acceptance of contingencies or limits on omnipotence that did him in. An ideologically pure Thearch would never accept the shackles that attend geniedom, not for any amount of phenomenal cosmic power.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

"To fight the Empire is to be infected by its derangement. This is a paradox; whoever defeats a segment of the Empire becomes the Empire; it proliferates like a virus, imposing its form on its enemies. Thereby it becomes its enemies."

PHILIP K. DICK, Valis

"Yeah, but we'd be a good empire!"

EVERY SILVER LADDER EVER, When confronted with the above

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
I just built the Cold Steel guy as a wizard, for a game of internet celebrity wizards. Trip reports may follow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I just built the Cold Steel guy as a wizard, for a game of internet celebrity wizards. Trip reports may follow.

Wait you mean the little fat, dad-looking guy who wears a suit while chopping pigs in half?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Error 404 posted:

Wait you mean the little fat, dad-looking guy who wears a suit while chopping pigs in half?

As a wizard.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A_Raving_Loon posted:

As a wizard.

Haha holy poo poo. I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Also please tell me you have someone playing a Mastigos version of the Oxyclean guy .

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Demon: The Fallen continued…

My favorite oWoD piece of fiction:

”Earthbound, p.41” posted:

“Everyone agrees that you are the world authority on Ugaritic cuneiform script, Dr. Soueid.”

Dr. Lilah el Soueid studied the tablet with knotted brows, her right hand moving aimlessly about in search of a pen or cigarette. “Good grief,” she muttered, “will you look at that thing.”

“We believe it represents Dagon, who was patron god of the city.”

“It’s certainly Dagon. Text looks like a pretty standard devotional. I’ll go through it, of course. But you have to wonder, don’t you? Half human, holding ears of corn, half fish.”

“My own theory is that it represents the food supply, over which Dagon had total control.”

“And the severed heads?”

“He also granted victory in war, Dr. Soueid.”

“He’s sure a cheery-looking fellow.”

“Of course, no interpretation we make today can really tell us what the ancient people believed.”

“Of course.” Dr. Soueid’s eyes lingered over the script. “Never fear, Mr. Feldham,” she said at last, “I’ll have the world’s most authoritative translation for you in the morning.”

Once Feldham was gone, she got up off the uncomfortable stool and wandered round until she found some coffee. Guy gave her the creeps. Then again, anyone with that kind of money who’d use it to sponsor a dig in the backwoods of Syria and fly in experts like her would have to be just a little creepy.

Like all really ancient things, the tablet seemed somehow incredibly real to her. It had lain deep in the earth for three millennia. We can’t even make buildings that hold together for more than a decade, she thought. The tablet lay against the white laminated surface, surrounded by all the accoutrements of modern archaeology. Truth be told, it was the face that disturbed her. Eyes, mouth and nose distorted into a grimace that seemed so… miserable, yet glad at the same time. Glad he could share his suffering. It was a superb piece of craftsmanship.

But the little chisel marks below the sculpture held the real story.

“Dagon, creator of life and bringer of death,” she read. “Spare us that we may serve thee.” Yeah, pretty standard for the whole region pre-Christianity. They believed human beings had been created as slaves for the gods. “We bow to you and cut our hands to you and bring unto you our parents and children, the old and the young, and — who’s there?”

She spun around, nearly tipping herself over, but the room was empty. She had been absolutely certain that Feldham was behind her, repeating her words in the faintest whisper. But the door was closed, the room empty. After an uneasy couple of moments, she turned back to the idol.

“You who salt the water, making it… undrinkable, you who salt the fields, making them barren—”

She was hearing something. Maybe a whisper of air through the ducting or the rasp of her clothes because it seemed close. If it had been Feldham, he’d have to be pressed against her, whispering as he leaned over her shoulder staring at the hideous idol, whispering.

Dagon, who—

A chill raced down her spine. She could hear the voice in her head. For the first time in three thousand years a mortal was hearing one of the lost tongues of Mesopotamia, and she somehow understood each and every word.

Lord of thy life and thy death. Bow to me and cut thy hands to me and bleed to me—

Without thinking, she reached a trembling hand for her coffee mug, but her fingers, directed by a will not her own, closed on the diamond saw instead.

From zero to cosmic horror in less than a page.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Uhhhh, point of order. Turning into a giant snake did help. As a titanic cobra, Jafar handily (figuratively speaking) seized and immobilized Aladdin. In fact, it was Jafar's decision to stop being a giant snake that did him in.

Case closed.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

Specifically, it was Jafar's acceptance of contingencies or limits on omnipotence that did him in. An ideologically pure Thearch would never accept the shackles that attend geniedom, not for any amount of phenomenal cosmic power.

Itty bitty living space is a curse of the Fallen World, a cruel trick of the Exarchs.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I went over this with Liesmith a while ago, but the ascendant Silver Ladder does not look like the ascendant Ministries. If you somehow help the Pentacle to win the ascension war, you are not replacing one master with another. The universe might be blasted out of existence, but it won't just get new logos on its banners.

Doodmons posted:

Case closed.

Huh, afflictions, those things you overcome by wishing really hard. If only, if only, there was a form of magic- perhaps the best, greatest, truest form of magic - that worked that way...

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Error 404 posted:

Haha holy poo poo. I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Also please tell me you have someone playing a Mastigos version of the Oxyclean guy .

Sadly such was not to be.

The rest of the team is a BBQ Pit Boy, A Social Justice Warrior, An eSports Athelete, and an Angry Reviewer.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

I went over this with Liesmith a while ago, but the ascendant Silver Ladder does not look like the ascendant Ministries. If you somehow help the Pentacle to win the ascension war, you are not replacing one master with another. The universe might be blasted out of existence, but it won't just get new logos on its banners.

Huh, afflictions, those things you overcome by wishing really hard. If only, if only, there was a form of magic- perhaps the best, greatest, truest form of magic - that worked that way...

Alas, to overcome a level 2 Affliction requires that you spend 2 Willpower at once. In WoD you can only spend 1 Willpower a turn... ain't nothin' you can do about it.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

I just built the Cold Steel guy as a wizard, for a game of internet celebrity wizards.

The very first time I ran Unknown Armies, I mandated that any character starting with a gun had to be a registered Republican, and any character with a sword had to be him.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doodmons posted:

Alas, to overcome a level 2 Affliction requires that you spend 2 Willpower at once. In WoD you can only spend 1 Willpower a turn... ain't nothin' you can do about it.

You have to spend Willpower... or draw on divine, cosmic powers. Well, guess what.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Doodmons posted:

Case closed.

What is this from?

Another player in the Vampire game I'm in is playing a Gorgon. I just know she's going to turn into a giant snake, and I know it won't help.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Gilok posted:

What is this from?

Another player in the Vampire game I'm in is playing a Gorgon. I just know she's going to turn into a giant snake, and I know it won't help.

Have her get attacked by a giant rat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gilok posted:

What is this from?

It's from Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine, specifically the Glass-Maker's Dragon campaign.

("Turning into a giant snake never helps" is exceptionally poignant there because Chuubo's most impressive power, other than having a marvelous engine that grants his every wish, is the ability to turn into a giant snake. That guy has a lot of powers for such an ordinary boy.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

crime fighting hog posted:

Have her get attacked by a giant rat.
Or a giant mongoose.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Ok, so I'm usually phoneposting more than computer posting these days, and so doing poo poo with lots of links or bbcode or formatting is a massive pain in the rear end, which is why it's taken me literally months to remember to edit Ferrinus' mage rewrite into the homebrew section of the OP.

Which I have done just now. Cheers bro, that poo poo's tight.

also, this is a call for any other cool homebrew poo poo anyone's been working on that they'd like to see put in the OP.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

This is obviously an incredibly broad and subjective question, but: music appropriate for Mage. Suggestions? An idea for a plot came to me like a bolt from the blue, and I'm amassing as much material I can that might somehow prove tangentially useful or related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Cabbit posted:

This is obviously an incredibly broad and subjective question, but: music appropriate for Mage. Suggestions? An idea for a plot came to me like a bolt from the blue, and I'm amassing as much material I can that might somehow prove tangentially useful or related.

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

• Locked thread