Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why does gTS suck so bad this time. I remember it being an amazing way to fill out your dex in Black and Pearl, but this gen it seems everyone wants legendaries or pokemon in a specific level range.

That's because the good trades get snapped up pretty much instantly. Put up what you want to trade, ask for what you want, and if it's reasonable you'll get it within a day.

EDIT: And that period's only if you're asking for relatively esoteric stuff, i.e. a Pokemon you can't catch in the current generation. If it is catchable it'll be pretty much instant.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why does gTS suck so bad this time. I remember it being an amazing way to fill out your dex in Black and Pearl, but this gen it seems everyone wants legendaries or pokemon in a specific level range.

If you put in a pokemon, and request a reasonable pokemon in exchange, it'll get snatched up pretty quickly. Trying to look for the pokemon you want will pretty much always turn up annoying people wanting a mewtwo for their mudkip or whatnot.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I just want to make the late point that worrying about tiers is slightly an odd point since there's still Really Good things on lower tiers. Things like Azelf and Land Forme Shaymin are all the way down in RU, UU has threats such as Hydreigon and Haxorus. Sure their niches might be limited in OU, but they're not outright bad.

Things have changed from how Gen 3 played compared to now. There's lots of cool mons to use. (PS Togekiss looks dumb, all hail Magnezone as best Sinnoh evolution. Or Frossy. Magnet UFO and ice ghost rock)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I ain't seeing no one talk about Gliscor. That just ain't right. Besides, all of the evolutions are equally great, so no one's right! :v: (cheap option)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cleretic posted:

That's because the good trades get snapped up pretty much instantly. Put up what you want to trade, ask for what you want, and if it's reasonable you'll get it within a day.

EDIT: And that period's only if you're asking for relatively esoteric stuff, i.e. a Pokemon you can't catch in the current generation. If it is catchable it'll be pretty much instant.

I put up a charmander I bred asking for a squirtle of any gender/age and didn't get a bite for 3 days.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I put up a charmander I bred asking for a squirtle of any gender/age and didn't get a bite for 3 days.

Everybody picks Charmander. Bulbasaur seems to be the hardest to come by in my experience.

Generally if you want a version exclusive you just put up one from your game, if you want a trade evolution put up one of your own (Machoke for Machoke or whatever) and so on. There'll always be people asking for stupid poo poo because this is a kids game and kids are stupid. :v:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Went and played Battle Tournament 2014 today over at GAME, had a great time and busted in the Semis to the best player in the field after I made some mistakes (sure, dump both attacks into the only mon on the field with Protect up :downs: ), but not before an absolute butt-clencher where my Amoonguss almost took down Rotom-W and Azumarill 2v1, coming down to Rotom needing to do 41 damage with Thunderbolt and only just making it.

In related news, train a loving Amoonguss for Doubles. poo poo is ridiculous.

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Trait: Effect Spore*
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect

(* - Regenerator is obviously powerful but my team was not the kind that switched out very often)

This thing makes Rotom-Ws cry.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The cheat code for the GTS is to get something that's not catchable in X/Y. I filled out most of my dex breeding Meowth and Misdreavus and just putting them out there. People are nuts for Meowth for some reason. If you go looking for 'good deals' you'll come away frustrated 9/10 times.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Travis343 posted:

The cheat code for the GTS is to get something that's not catchable in X/Y. I filled out most of my dex breeding Meowth and Misdreavus and just putting them out there. People are nuts for Meowth for some reason. If you go looking for 'good deals' you'll come away frustrated 9/10 times.

People love 3+ IV Eevees as well. Every time I dump one on the GTS I get trades within 10 minutes.

E: That's how I got a bunch of legendaries and such back in Diamond/Pearl since me and a friend had an Eevee racket going.

Haquer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 5, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hopefully they expand it to 'I wish to trade X, Y, or Z inre trun for A, B, or C.'

Would probably make it a bit easier to get a deal.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The number one thing they could do would be to add an option for "I have a Meowth, what do people seeking Meowths have on offer right now?" If you could look at what people are offering for what you've got that would cut a huge amount of time out of things.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I don't think I've actually owned or used a Meowth or Persian in any Pokemon game I've ever played.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For all my bitching about GTS, someone just traded a level 1 Goldeen I whipped up for a Numel.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Cleretic posted:

Also, give him a sand form. Sand is probably the most used and useful weather effect,so I don't know why the Pokemon entirely built around weather doesn't support it.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

On top of that Give him a Gravity and Trick Room form.

nippon nifties posted:

What's weird is that even in Gen3 Weather Ball becomes Rock while it's sandstorming but Castform doesn't. Sorry little guy
Hell, Castform can even use a 100 Power "Shadow-Type" Weather Ball under Shadow Sky (Shadow Move, damages all non-shadow Pokemon a la Sandstorm/Hail), making him the only non-shadow Pokemon that can use a Shadow-type attack.

Basically, with a few tweaks Castform would be a really cool and unique Pokemon for weather teams. He's not unsalvageable like Luvdisc, Unown, or some of the other gimmicks, but right now Castform's just not powerful enough.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

fade5 posted:

Hell, Castform can even use a 100 Power "Shadow-Type" Weather Ball under Shadow Sky (Shadow Move, damages all non-shadow Pokemon a la Sandstorm/Hail), making him the only non-shadow Pokemon that can use a Shadow-type attack.

Basically, with a few tweaks Castform would be a really cool and unique Pokemon for weather teams. He's not unsalvageable like Luvdisc, Unown, or some of the other gimmicks, but right now Castform's just not powerful enough.

I remember that boss fight with the guy with the Shadow Castform in XD was like the hardest part of that game.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Lemme sing y'all a little country song called It's Always Goddamn Raining On Route loving 19 (And I Want to Train Attack)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Diet Poison posted:

Lemme sing y'all a little country song called It's Always Goddamn Raining On Route loving 19 (And I Want to Train Attack)
I love that song

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Diet Poison posted:

It's my second favorite right next to I Want to Evolve Sliggoo, But There Is A Drought.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Diet Poison posted:

This is the song of my people

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My GTS cheat is my 4IV or 5IV HA bulbs with egg moves. Filled a huge hole in my pokedex by just depositing those guys and gals for them. Longest it took to trade was 2 hours, shortest 5 mins. Average within half an hour. I still have 3 bank boxes with potential trades but I wanted to start breeding a Scythers...

Why is breeding so addictive an yet soul crushing :negative:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Spiffster posted:

My GTS cheat is my 4IV or 5IV HA bulbs with egg moves. Filled a huge hole in my pokedex by just depositing those guys and gals for them. Longest it took to trade was 2 hours, shortest 5 mins. Average within half an hour. I still have 3 bank boxes with potential trades but I wanted to start breeding a Scythers...

I've got the same thing going on with the Bulletproof Chespins I bred trying to get a good one. I've only got two left to get, and like six Chespins.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So how does Poke Ball inheritance work: is it a guarantee, is it only from a certain parent, does it have to be the same species?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
When breeding? Children are always in the type of ball the mother was in. Since the mother determines the species, yeah I guess. When its a male and a ditto, its the ditto's ball IIRC.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Ditto cannot pass down its Ball.

A child always inherits the ball of the female parent, or if there is no female parent, it gets a regular Poke Ball.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Why don't they just have a shop (like the Pokeball emporium or whatever) where you pay a fee to transfer the mon from a Ball to another so you cn get the look you like?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Why don't they just have a shop (like the Pokeball emporium or whatever) where you pay a fee to transfer the mon from a Ball to another so you cn get the look you like?
You also can't change the nickname of a Pokemon you get in a trade, because obviously the original trainer put a lot of thought into Xg00ni3st69X's nickname.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Nihilarian posted:

You also can't change the nickname of a Pokemon you get in a trade, because obviously the original trainer put a lot of thought into Xg00ni3st69X's nickname.

I'm kind of fond of the Shelmet I got named Mr. Tickles.

The female one that is now a Accelgor.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Just so you folks are aware, Swagger is now in Ubers. So long, Swagkey.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

LightningKimba posted:

Smogon has almost achieved peak self-parody.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LightningKimba posted:

"Not having control over every goddamn second of the fight and maybe having some luck be involved is making me rage out so ba - I mean is UNCOMPETITIVE."

Whatever, there's still in-game shenanigans to terrorize with my maximum douche team!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How does passing down hidden abilities work? I have a female torchic w/ Speed Boost, but her offspring always have blaze.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How does passing down hidden abilities work? I have a female torchic w/ Speed Boost, but her offspring always have blaze.

It's like a 60% choice, I think, so you're getting unlucky.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

LegionAreI posted:

Whatever, there's still in-game shenanigans to terrorize with my maximum douche team!

Well, I can't think of any reason a community wouldn't want to deal with it when you categorize it that way.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Not that I ever used Swagger in Singles (this ban better not apply to Doubles!) since it's got too high a chance of totally backfiring, but this sure sets a disquieting precedent for Smogon. Can't wait for the inevitable bans on Serene Grace, Shed Skin, Thunder Wave, Dynamicpunch, Focus Energy, and any other "luck-dependent" move or ability that can screw the opponent hard enough when the coin flips turn out right. Their rulemaking process has always been a little flawed, but at least they used to take the position that stuff should only be banned when it dominates the metagame and/or is completely ridiculous, not just because people hated going against it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Good.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Emalde posted:

Smogon has almost achieved peak self-parody.

Main Paineframe posted:

Not that I ever used Moody in Singles (this ban better not apply to Doubles!) since it's got too high a chance of totally backfiring, but this sure sets a disquieting precedent for Smogon. Can't wait for the inevitable bans on Swagger, Serene Grace, Shed Skin, Thunder Wave, Dynamicpunch, Focus Energy, and any other "luck-dependent" move or ability that can screw the opponent hard enough when the coin flips turn out right. Their rulemaking process has always been a little flawed, but at least they used to take the position that stuff should only be banned when it dominates the metagame and/or is completely ridiculous, not just because people hated going against it.

Just for some perspective. Some things are worth banning in spite of any slippery-slope arguments you could posit.

There is also a distinction between Moody & Swagger and all those other luck-based things. Thanks to the existence of Protect and Substitute for the former and Prankster for the latter, there is effectively nothing your opponent can do to stop your strategy from succeeding. It might not work with just one abuser—in fact, the odds are against you there—but you can simply load up six Swagplay Pranksters to turn the game into a lottery where your opponent can't do anything.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 6, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Evasion is stupid though because there's very little you can do about it. The effects of swagger can be entirely canceled by switching, and there are ways to punish the enemy for using it with certain abilities/items. Gonna regret using swagger if all it does is give that Garchomp a +2 attack boost after it eats a lum berry.

There's nothing you can do about moody other than killing the pokemon with it or using haze. There's tons of ways to deal with swagger, they just don't want to shake up their team comp to do it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I don't agree with the idea that giving opponents free turns counts as a viable method of beating Swagger. Especially since unless you're running an Own Tempo Pokémon (all of which are bad) there's no way to actually bring in a counter. You can't make a switch that will force the opponent to switch in reply.

If you accidentally give Garchomp +2, you bring in your next Prankster, Swagger again, and watch him kill himself.

There are sets that can break SwagPlay teams, like Lum+SubSD Garchomp, but every such set that I can't think of becomes useless against teams that also pack a bulky phazer.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 6, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Quick question: if Gold and Silver simply aren't saving (game is playable, goes through the motions of saving, restart has no continue button) it means the battery is dead, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The real issue is that Game Freak doesn't at all care about balancing the game for Singles, leaving Smogon (that primarily works with 6v6 Singles) to try to hammer out something that works.

Of course I don't play doubles or triples so it's entirely possible that it's just as terrible in there as well.

• Locked thread