Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

d0s posted:

Sadly the only thing I can do with it is play this terrible RPG because the only other disk I have that works is the one for MousePaint and I don't have the interface card anymore. I can't find any of the system DOS disks I used to have either so what I can do with this machine right now is very, very limited. I can BASIC and play this RPG.

I have a bunch of pirated Apple II disks from when I was a kid that could possibly be in working order if you want a care package of dubious Apple games? I'll never have the hardware to play them so they are just gathering dust in my shed right now.
But they haven't been booted for easily 25 years or more, so I can make no guarantees on them working at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
If he doesn't want them I sure as hell would be interested. I collect Apple II stuff to play (I have 4 Apple IIgs and 2 Apple IIc).

Also, there is a program called ADT (apple disk transfer) that will let you move Apple II programs saved on a PC onto an Apple II. It even comes with instructions on programming the initial transfer of the ADT software from a PC onto the Apple using the built in command line.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

d0s posted:

Sadly the only thing I can do with it is play this terrible RPG because the only other disk I have that works is the one for MousePaint and I don't have the interface card anymore.

Terrible RPG? Phantasie III? One of the first RPGs where you could break bones and amputate limbs (and heads) in battle? My triple-amputee minotaur warrior with one arm remaining would like to have words with you. :colbert:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So, I'm getting this itch to work on another X68k game. As much as I hate the term, anyone knows of any hidden gems that I could work on? I can't promise that it'll get DONE, but I will take a crack at it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

Terrible RPG? Phantasie III? One of the first RPGs where you could break bones and amputate limbs (and heads) in battle? My triple-amputee minotaur warrior with one arm remaining would like to have words with you. :colbert:

That's just my hate for CRPGs talking, I'm sure it's really boringexcellent :D

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
My 1702 came in today. Dirtier than the eBay picture made it seem, but looks like it's in otherwise decent shape. Will take some pictures later. The C64 and 1541 shipped today, so hopefully that stuff will show up next week.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RadicalR posted:

So, I'm getting this itch to work on another X68k game. As much as I hate the term, anyone knows of any hidden gems that I could work on? I can't promise that it'll get DONE, but I will take a crack at it.

Your inbox is full but RE the message you sent me, I'd love to see Lagoon get a translation the script should be easy because of the US SNES version!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Perhaps relevant to interests:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2169/

English fan translation of an old Korean DOS action game!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RadicalR posted:

Aquales or Arcus Odyssey would get my votes

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I got our new old Mac set up on our work table. It's a Quadra 700 we found on the side of the road, and it is perfect for playing all the old 68k Mac games that want to switch the system to 256 colors / 640x480 when you play them on an OS 9 machine.

I stuck in four 16MiB SIMMs to max it out at 68MiB of memory with the 4 soldered to the board, and the 8x SCSI Yamaha CD-RW was a lucky thrift store find. It gets on the network wirelessly via an AAUI/10BASE-T transceiver and can even access our NAS via Netatalk 3 and Appleshare Client 3.8.3.

The only two things that kind of suck about it are the keyboard and hard disk (400MB). Its keyboard is a lovely AppleDesign dome keyboard that I really want to replace with one of these. I'd like to swap the loud ancient SCSI HDD for a CF card but can't justify the $130 for a CF AztecMonster :gonk:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Only Shallow posted:

I got our new old Mac set up on our work table. It's a Quadra 700 we found on the side of the road, and it is perfect for playing all the old 68k Mac games that want to switch the system to 256 colors / 640x480 when you play them on an OS 9 machine.
Hey, I ran a MUD on a goddamn Quadra 700 running A/UX back in the late '80s/early '90s. Nothing like driving over to the datacentre to punch the big square key because the machine poo poo the bed and Apple didn't quite get the idea that you might want a machine to bounce itself without manual intervention from the console.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-X6800...=item2a3a5fb328

I want this sooo bad. But I can't :retrogame: this one.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RadicalR posted:

But I can't :retrogame: this one.

Yeah you can, you just need the external floppy drive (which goes for like $500 :retrogames:)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I waffled on wanting it but it's clearly a gutted system and they didn't even have common decency to offer the other parts for the US

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

I waffled on wanting it but it's clearly a gutted system and they didn't even have common decency to offer the other parts for the US

Yeah thats an absurd price for such a stripped down system. I think they go for half of that on YJA in that state. Whoever buys that is touched in the head

EDIT: Would be worth it if it was a non-compact XVI as a Buy It Now price. As an auction starting price it would still be laughable

EDIT2: RadicalR don't you have an X68K already? I coulda sworn it was you who had one too.

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Perhaps relevant to interests:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2169/

English fan translation of an old Korean DOS action game!
Looks like a ripoff of Genocide 2, which also has a Korean DOS port (based off the FM Towns version and it has CD music :getin:)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

d0s posted:

Yeah thats an absurd price for such a stripped down system. I think they go for half of that on YJA in that state. Whoever buys that is touched in the head

EDIT: Would be worth it if it was a non-compact XVI as a Buy It Now price. As an auction starting price it would still be laughable

EDIT2: RadicalR don't you have an X68K already? I coulda sworn it was you who had one too.

I do, but alas, finding a way to write 5.25 floppies around here is nearly impossible.

I installed a 1MB RAM upgrade, but since I have to use SWITCH.X to tell the system that there's an upgrade... on a disk that I don't have and I can't write a copy of...

So I'm pretty cross that I can't play my retail copy of Die Bahnwelt.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

RadicalR posted:

I do, but alas, finding a way to write 5.25 floppies around here is nearly impossible.

I installed a 1MB RAM upgrade, but since I have to use SWITCH.X to tell the system that there's an upgrade... on a disk that I don't have and I can't write a copy of...

So I'm pretty cross that I can't play my retail copy of Die Bahnwelt.

Oh jesus yeah I hate the way they set that up. For those who don't know SWITCH is the x68k version of a BIOS settings program, only it doesn't reside in ROM, it's a program you run from disk. So your system must be configured to boot from whatever disk you have it on before you can configure it to boot from whatever you have it on.... it's about as idiotic as it sounds.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gromit posted:

I have a bunch of pirated Apple II disks from when I was a kid that could possibly be in working order if you want a care package of dubious Apple games? I'll never have the hardware to play them so they are just gathering dust in my shed right now.
But they haven't been booted for easily 25 years or more, so I can make no guarantees on them working at all.

Now I feel like a poo poo because what I thought were disk boxes filled with Apple games were actually C64 ones instead. Out of the 4 or 5 boxes I managed to find what might be 4 old Verbatim disks with Apple stuff on them - hardly worth posting to anyone.

Sorry d0s - you PMd me with your address details but I don't think it's worth bothering with for just 4 floppies. I used to play lots of different Apple games, but I guess I must have just got rid of them over time as I moved to the C64. :(

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
This is horribly awkward - but I have to ask. Does anyone here live in the USA and have the ability to write a 5.25 floppy?
I need a disk written and mailed to me. I'm willing to pay for shipping.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What platform?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Waltzing Along posted:

What platform?

X68000

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hey guys if any of you are in the UK I need a huge favor, there's an Amiga game on UK eBay I want to buy but the seller won't ship to the US. Was wondering if any of you could buy and receive it for me and ship it over, for a fee you think is fair of course. I would pay you upfront so no money has to come out of your pocket, see my wanted thread in SA Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622510

Got someone from AmiBay helping me!

EDIT: For free no less, god there are some awesome people there

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 5, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

d0s posted:

EDIT: For free no less, god there are some awesome people there

Amibay is very much a hobbyist's site, and a pretty "English" one in feel. It's very polite and welcoming. The emphasis is on just enjoying computers, I've never seen any animosity or drama there, which is very surprising when you consider how much money changes hands.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

Amibay is very much a hobbyist's site, and a pretty "English" one in feel. It's very polite and welcoming. The emphasis is on just enjoying computers, I've never seen any animosity or drama there, which is very surprising when you consider how much money changes hands.

All the drama I've seen is about people getting ripped off and then the mods internet detectiving the hell out of some people and getting them arrested/getting people their money back. There's so little of the usual stupidity common on public forums sometimes I think I'm reading SA.

Sadly the deal I was trying to make fell through, the eBay seller delisted the item, he seemed very reluctant to sell in the first place, turning down all offers and giving really vague answers when asked about international shipping (and taking days to even answer the question in the first place). When the guy helping me tried to buy it the seller removed the item :(

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

So I've gotten almost every NTSC C64 game I wanted thanks to budget packs/loose floppy auctions. I'm missing one or two things but the amount of great gameplay here for what this stuff cost is awesome, C64 has such a good price:fun ratio and it's really refreshing in these ridiculous times

click for huge

Some of these have different names in PAL land:

Super Boulder Dash = Boulder Dash I+II in a compilation
Mind-Roll = Quedex
Delta Patrol = Delta
Tower Toppler = Nebulus
ALCON = Slap Fight :regd07:

d0s fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 5, 2014

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
It has been a while since I had anything remotely worth posting in here.

But this weekend I spent a little time on the Win 98 SE machine. CDRs that my DOS rig won't read it did. However couldn't get it to work with a USB Flash Drive. It knows it's there but not what the hell to do with it, not even a wee Lexar 1 gig one!

Why would I need to use a little flash drive? Well to transfer a patch over.

For what game you ask?

Late 90s FMV?

No sir or ma'am. Its FINAL LIBERATION! :metal:

Zoomed out view showing my dudes assaulting objectives. In a Rhino. (Photos from ipad Air.)

Only Commissars are manly/stupid enough to hold a parade ground with a single squad and a light transport.

Mordian Iron Guard moves up in their Chimeras which are like Rhinos only with a laser machine gun in the turret.

Oh darn. We lost the Commissar. Oh shucky darn. :commissar:

Except Commissar Motherfucking Corpse rear end Looking Holt is still alive to yell at me for not attacking entire armies with 3 artillery tanks (Basilisks), 4 squads of Tallarn Desert Raider Heavy Weapons team and Command section, and 3 Leman Russ Battle tanks. Like.. "I am not threatening you, merely warning you I will kill your rear end if you don't start killing more Orks Commander."

You gotta pay to replace damaged or destroyed units. I don't hold enough territory to do so quickly. Holt, like Bear, you are an rear end in a top hat.

It is generally still awesome as gently caress but I dunno if its just because it is unpatched, or Win 98 SE is, but it tends to bluescreen every now and then.

(I would install Dark Omen there but I have the case and manuals but have no idea where the hell the CD is and this upsets me.)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

RadicalR posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARP-X6800...=item2a3a5fb328

I want this sooo bad. But I can't :retrogame: this one.

0 bids :getin:

Aaaand it was relisted $550 BIN :saddowns:

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

It has been a while since I had anything remotely worth posting in here.

But this weekend I spent a little time on the Win 98 SE machine. CDRs that my DOS rig won't read it did. However couldn't get it to work with a USB Flash Drive. It knows it's there but not what the hell to do with it, not even a wee Lexar 1 gig one!

In case you've forgotten over the years, Windows 98se had USB support for keyboards, printers and speakers but didn't come with a USB mass storage driver. There are a couple ones you can use, there was one for Kingston flash drives that worked for other manufacturers, there's support in the Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack, and there seems to be another generic driver floating around on the Internet as well. The problem is that you're going to need to burn a CD or something to get the driver onto the computer.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Grapeshot posted:

In case you've forgotten over the years, Windows 98se had USB support for keyboards, printers and speakers but didn't come with a USB mass storage driver. There are a couple ones you can use, there was one for Kingston flash drives that worked for other manufacturers, there's support in the Windows 98 Unofficial Service Pack, and there seems to be another generic driver floating around on the Internet as well. The problem is that you're going to need to burn a CD or something to get the driver onto the computer.

I just bought a 30 pack of CD-Rs for 6 bucks (no spindle or cases with em but eh) from Big Lots last week. I am set on disks. (Hell a couple years back at Target I bought a 10 pack of 3.5s for like a dollar fifty!)

If it works out well I will report back. I wonder if I should putz around with a Voodoo wrapper too? I've got one on my Win 7 rig but why not put one there too if it will take?

Most of my retro funny money right now is being spent on hobby games stuff not computer. Mainly because I have enough goddamned games and the few titles I want to play/have time and opportunity to play are on my ipad Air like Silversword which is basically Bard's Tale as it loving should have been in the first place.

These bits sound nice and free. (Except for whenever I give up looking for my Dark Omen disk and just buy another one.)

I really should just make a nice Win 98 program savior CD. Throw that service patch and as many Win 98 era game patches on it as will fit. Survival disks are a great and helpful thing to have really.

I just need to investigate why that one CDR was fine in the 98 rig but not the DOS. Maybe I burned it at too fast a speed or something?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

I just need to investigate why that one CDR was fine in the 98 rig but not the DOS. Maybe I burned it at too fast a speed or something?

Not all CD drives can read writable disks. Of course any drive made in the last 10 years or so is fine, but before then you might be out of luck.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Speaking of PC stuff I hit the thrift stores yesterday trying to find a machine to play older DOS/Win3.1/95/98 games. The best (oldest) I could do was a Micron system crammed in a Dell case for some reason, 400mhz PII. I threw away the awful case and put it in a desktop case that used to house an OpenBSD FTP server I ran. I also found some period correct speakers and a really nice analog joystick with the PC connector. Sadly the speakers did not come with the power supply, I'll find one eventually.

Right now it's just running MSDOS 6.22, I found this guide really helpful in configuring it. It runs everything I throw at it very well, I need to use a slowdown program sometimes for older stuff.

Right now there's no sound card, I have an ISA Soundblaster AWE64 Gold on the way. The sounds from the PC speaker are nostalgic though, I grew up using an IBM PS/2 Model 60 286 and never had a sound card for it.

Honestly this system is a bit overkill and I would eventually like to replace the motherboard and CPU with a 486 or older Pentium, but it's OK for now.

d0s fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 22, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Aw sheet

I was a bit skeptical on how this would perform with older games but everything works great! I'm not the biggest fan of the way soundblasters sound in general so I have an Ultrasound coming for games that natively support it. From what I understand running two ISA sound cards in DOS is a bit of a pain but totally doable, especially since I won't have to have any of the Ultrasound's SB emulation software taking up memory.

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 22, 2014

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yesterday, I found this site and fired up DOSBOX for God of Thunder, Chopper Command, and Jetpak. And it was everything I could have hoped for and more. This was cask-strength nostalgia flooding over me, so help me god.

All of that is probably because my 90s PC gaming experience was mostly defined by Apogee demos and whatever I could download from AOL that would run on my EGA (and, later, SVGA) monitor and 386DX CPU. So older CGA and EGA games, stuff like Bio Menace and the like. So pretty much all the "classic", A-tier stuff was bypassed by me, and my retrocomputer gaming experience was defined by the sometimes amateurish programming efforts of shareware programmers, the "Software Creations" logo, and (typically white text on blue box) ASCII exit messages exhorting registration.

But that aside, I was also hit by the 1990s PC MIDI music (you had to have been there to truly appreciate it), by the low-res 256 color graphics, and just the whole...experience, I guess? Having to browse the command line, doing a "dir.exe" since filenames were constrained by the 8.3 name/extension limit and were thus often cryptic, typing it in and watching the magic of the transition from the command line to the program happen. Especially the slow but steady screen fade that seemed to be the favored method of transition.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share. Does this happen to anyone else, or are you hardcore folks basically like "Everyday in 1994 for me!"?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yep I get crazy nostalgia watching videos of old games I used to play on my 486. I love 256 color game art--the colors, dithering, and aesthetic can be really amazing. Even old ANSI graphics can be mind blowing. If anyone remembers the ASCII and ANSI art scenes from old BBS and early internet days, this video is a must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILNs1GChGDk

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That video reminds me of ZZT, which loving owned. Pretty sure there's a goon on here who made a few ZZT games at one point.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

The more Psygnosis Amiga games I accumulate the more I appreciate their packaging of the time, Agony just arrived and the box is so impressive in person.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Yesterday, I found this site and fired up DOSBOX for God of Thunder, Chopper Command, and Jetpak. And it was everything I could have hoped for and more. This was cask-strength nostalgia flooding over me, so help me god.

All of that is probably because my 90s PC gaming experience was mostly defined by Apogee demos and whatever I could download from AOL that would run on my EGA (and, later, SVGA) monitor and 386DX CPU. So older CGA and EGA games, stuff like Bio Menace and the like. So pretty much all the "classic", A-tier stuff was bypassed by me, and my retrocomputer gaming experience was defined by the sometimes amateurish programming efforts of shareware programmers, the "Software Creations" logo, and (typically white text on blue box) ASCII exit messages exhorting registration.

This was pretty much my first experience with computer games as well. I was much more into the 16-bit consoles at the time but had an IBM 286 from my dad's old office that I would mostly use for BBS/online stuff but would sometimes play games on. You mentioning Chopper Command blew me away because I used to play it so much but didn't think anyone else did.

Instead of AOL I had Prodigy for my first paid service but the same shareware stuff was available there, plus there was this weird phenomenon of shareware being sold on diskettes at the dollar store so I experienced a lot of those titles that way. Chopper Command was a weird thing because a friend of mine had a really top of the line Mac for the time (around 1994) and they could read and write DOS disks, he would let me use his "proper" internet service to download all kinds of stuff from the web to play on my poo poo 286 at home, and one of those things I found was Chopper Command.

After upgrading to a Compaq Pentium 100 with Win95 I pretty much stuck exclusively to Windows games so I missed out on the entire era of "good" DOS games aside from stuff like Doom and Wolf3D. Using the DOS system I just built is making me realize that I missed a lot of awesome stuff, but honestly if I was living in the early 90's knowing what I do now and had to choose a single computer for games only I would choose an Amiga, just because it has more of the kinda 2D arcadey/consoley games I really love. Things like Tyrian show the PC would have wiped the floor with the Amiga in that regard but that kind of game was really already out of style in the West by the time the DOS PC became the dominant computer game platform.

This is where you guys recommend some really good 2D late DOS action games (more than 16 colors please) :)

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

Instead of AOL I had Prodigy for my first paid service but the same shareware stuff was available there, plus there was this weird phenomenon of shareware being sold on diskettes at the dollar store so I experienced a lot of those titles that way.

Ha, yeah, same thing here. The electronics section of my local Fred Meyer department store had a basket with shareware floppies for 25 cents a pop. So I got shareware copies of Bio Menace, Commander Keen, and other good stuff at times. My local dollar store also had some $1 boxed games, but they were decidedly third-tier titles; I recall Virtuoso and Defcon 5 (both shooter titles that were also ported to the 3DO) being prominently featured.

The public library was kind of a big part of my retrocomputer gaming experience. First was playing Oregon Trail and Crosscountry USA (halfassedly, admittedly) on their Apple II GS. Later on, they upgraded to better PCs with some educational games and a Mac with Kidpix, Cosmic Osmo, and some other stuff no one really gave a rat's rear end about. So I got to have my first taste of Simcity 2000 and Cosmic Osmo at the library.

Something else that came to mind is being blown away by the kid at the public library who repurposed the dedicated CD-ROM encyclopedia PC to play Raptor: Call Of The Shadows on it. He obviously did a very unclean restart (i.e. hard power cycle), and either booted from his own DOS floppy or interrupted the normal DOS bootup to get to the command line. Me and my brother thought he was a wizard, being technologically non-proficient at the time, but it was really small potatoes stuff in retrospect.

And finally, in those early days of Internet access, the library had a pretty nice connection compared to the dial-up available at home. So me and my brother would download various demos and such to bring back. Except, of course, a demo could be larger than 1.44 MB and thus unable to fit on a floppy disk. No worries; my brother somehow learned or figured out how to exploit file handling in Netscape Navigator to launch the Windows File Manager, and from there it was just a matter of launching COMMAND.COM or the MS-DOS Prompt and running a RAR program to break large files into chunks.

Memories...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Dumb story: When the original Quake came out I was stuck with a 486SX so I downloaded a program that emulated a math coprocessor.

It allowed the game to run, but only at about one frame every 2 minutes.