Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, I just finished Yokohama Shopping Trip, and it was wonderful. I heartily recommend it to everyone, it was a really thoughtful series. The latter quarter of it was melancholy but not in a bad way. Alpha really represented perfectly the quandary with an immortal being with the mental capacity of a human: they outlive everyone they care about, and it can eat away at them as much as rust might eat away at the hull of a ship, especially in her case where she is incredibly lonely at times(least, until the epilogue, hooray!). I really appreciated the way it handled death, or didn't, even. Ojisan passing away in between chapters with the only indication being his overgrown gas station, and sensei saying "remember us" without actually saying it was really powerful. The amount of things left unsaid even in the end was poignant, because the author trusted the reader to put some thought into the meaning of each chapter, and to understand at the core, to alpha, time is meaningless, so of course the human characters would age every chapter or three.

What an incredible series. I am really flabbergasted by just how smartly the author made judgment calls on when things were better left unsaid. A truly beautiful read, and while I'd love to read a hundred more chapters I can absolutely appreciate them ending it there. It was a privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

The original Saint Seiya embodies all the tropes of shounen anime, including a dumb main character with incredibly thick plot armor, sometimes atrocious pacing and dumb writing, but it has it's charm. There's a recent prequel called Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas that's surprisingly good.

Lost Canvas is really good, but the anime is unfinished and they straight out said they wont continue it. It's still worth watching but you will probably want to pick up the manga afterwards.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Recommend me some nice detective/thriller/plot-oriented anime or manga that aren't by Naoki Urasawa. I love Urasawa and I've read most of what he's done already! I'd love to see or read more stuff like that. What I like about him is that he generally avoids the typical annoying stuff, like endless navel-gazing, supernatural/mystical explanations, and introducing twists and things out of nowhere for the sake of melodrama. I have very very little patience for the surreal when it's not absurdist comedy.

I like plots that are contained and where things advance based on premises and clues that were previously shown or foreshadowed, so that you can put things together. Weirdly, I see more of this sort of thing in Hollywood films than in anime/manga (aside from Naoki Urasawa), so to get a better "diagnosis", I'll just rattle off stuff that had the kinds of things I am looking for.

Movies and stuff I liked:

• Silence of the Lambs
  • Heist movies in general
  • The Da Vinci Code
  • Catch Me if You Can
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
  • Death Note

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Boku dake ga Inai Machi maybe? It's not finished yet though so you'd have to wait in suspense on a monthly basis.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

DrSunshine posted:

Recommend me some nice detective/thriller/plot-oriented anime or manga that aren't by Naoki Urasawa.

[/list]

QED is about an MIT graduate (15 yrs old of course) who decides to go to japanese high school and solves mysteries in his spare time by being roped in by his "girlfriend". You could probably guess the criminal from the clues that are given but its not too overt.

And its episodic so each chapter usually solves 1 case at at time or it might be spread over 2 chapters at most.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 5, 2014

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Demicol posted:

Lost Canvas is really good, but the anime is unfinished and they straight out said they wont continue it. It's still worth watching but you will probably want to pick up the manga afterwards.

Didn't know that about the anime, a pity, because I think Lost Canvas is superior to the original series, but nostalgia weights heavily inside the minds of a lot of people.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Should have probably worded that differently, now that I think off it. The anime is finished since they've said they wont continue it, but the story (in the anime) isn't and covers about 90 chapters out of 200+. Still, I agree its better than the original and if you like shounen battle animes you should check it out.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 5, 2014

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I like plots that are contained and where things advance based on premises and clues that were previously shown or foreshadowed, so that you can put things together.

Watch Detective Conan. Watch all the Detective Conan. Aoyama Gosho subscribes to the classic mystery ideal of "show everything, make it fair for the readers". In manga format, this usually means a case is broken into three chapters: one for setup and exposition, one for investigation, and one for the final reveal. The anime adaptation usually splits the first two parts before the commercial break and the last part after.

I won't claim that every case is golden because there have been some clunkers over the years, but by and large the mysteries are both smart and fair. On several of them, I've had the experience of realizing the solution on my own just as the protagonists begin to explain it, which is about the best experience to be had with a mystery story.

Beyond the episodic mysteries, there is a supporting cast of dozens of well-developed, engaging characters who have their own stories and sub-plots running through the Conan universe. There's a reason it continues to be one of the highest-rated TV anime even after nearly two decades. There is something for everyone: kids like it because they get kids running around having adventures, adults like it because of the clever mystery gimmicks, girls like it for the romantic hijinks.

The major downside is that the "main" plotline won't get resolved until Gosho is ready to end the series, and maybe he gets hit by a bus or something before then. Despite that, it's not like things are standing still. There have been several significant developments to the main story over the years.

I would not hesitate to recommend Detective Conan to anyone, but to a mystery/suspense fan, it is an absolute must.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm watching the first episode of detective conan and so far it's pretty fun. I like the physicality of characters, too; it really reminds me of Lupin the Third.

Also, holy poo poo, they really set up the crime in this episode. Hahaha. But I gotta say there's some real scooby doo logic happening here.

edit2: haha, he and a friend of his have someone murdered right in front of them and while she's in tears, he casually tells her to stop crying and that 'this kind of thing happens all the time and it's no big deal, so she better get used to it.'

Haha, :drat: ice cold, child detective Conan. I think this will be closer in tone to a dark Inspector Gadget than Death Note.

fuckin' weird Fun episode, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 5, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Allarion posted:

Boku dake ga Inai Machi maybe? It's not finished yet though so you'd have to wait in suspense on a monthly basis.

Chillyrabbit posted:

QED is about an MIT graduate (15 yrs old of course) who decides to go to japanese high school and solves mysteries in his spare time by being roped in by his "girlfriend". You could probably guess the criminal from the clues that are given but its not too overt.

And its episodic so each chapter usually solves 1 case at at time or it might be spread over 2 chapters at most.

Nipponophile posted:

Watch Detective Conan. Watch all the Detective Conan. Aoyama Gosho subscribes to the classic mystery ideal of "show everything, make it fair for the readers". In manga format, this usually means a case is broken into three chapters: one for setup and exposition, one for investigation, and one for the final reveal. The anime adaptation usually splits the first two parts before the commercial break and the last part after.

I won't claim that every case is golden because there have been some clunkers over the years, but by and large the mysteries are both smart and fair. On several of them, I've had the experience of realizing the solution on my own just as the protagonists begin to explain it, which is about the best experience to be had with a mystery story.

Beyond the episodic mysteries, there is a supporting cast of dozens of well-developed, engaging characters who have their own stories and sub-plots running through the Conan universe. There's a reason it continues to be one of the highest-rated TV anime even after nearly two decades. There is something for everyone: kids like it because they get kids running around having adventures, adults like it because of the clever mystery gimmicks, girls like it for the romantic hijinks.

The major downside is that the "main" plotline won't get resolved until Gosho is ready to end the series, and maybe he gets hit by a bus or something before then. Despite that, it's not like things are standing still. There have been several significant developments to the main story over the years.

I would not hesitate to recommend Detective Conan to anyone, but to a mystery/suspense fan, it is an absolute must.

Thanks for the recs, folks!

Also: Holy crap, there's 885 chapters of this! It's almost as long as Ippo!!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I like Detective Conan, but I've never been able to fully catch up with it since it's overall plot-line moves so slowly, and reading case after case can get tiring after a while. Also I lost my place so I'm somewhere in the 300s or 400s probably, and haven't felt inclined to figure out what chapter I was last on since they all sort of blend together. Should probably try reading it again sometime. I think I was in the middle of an Anita Hailey chapter since I was far enough where she's part of the cast. Well jumping in randomly and rereading old cases isn't a bad thing either. It's like reading a random Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie mystery in that regard.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, the thing with Detective Conan is that a lot of is basically filler-y mystery of the week stuff. Good mysteries of the week... usually... but that's all they are. After a while, when I was playing catch up with it myself, I just started skipping a lot of the non-major stuff and you don't really miss out on anything. Trying to power through everything will take forever because its been going for well over 15 years now and has no sign of stopping anytime soon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I generally enjoyed the mysteries of the week but there's what seems to be a forever stretch where every case gets solved by Conan realizing that the killer created a locked room mystery by making creative use of a strong fishing line.

Also, don't watch this if you need character development because even with the overarching plot, the characters remain possibly even more static than the Simpsons. Sometimes it'll tease a game changing character development but it's almost always written off by the end, or forgotten by the next ep.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
I've really enjoyed the past couple seasons of anime and am looking for more of the like—shows similar to Non Non Biyori, Kill La Kill, Log Horizon, Zvezda, Silver Spoon, Samurai Flamenco, Space Dandy, etc.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mick Swagger posted:

I've really enjoyed the past couple seasons of anime and am looking for more of the like—shows similar to Non Non Biyori, Kill La Kill, Log Horizon, Zvezda, Silver Spoon, Samurai Flamenco, Space Dandy, etc.

Uh, yeah. This post has shows that are so different from each other that you're pretty much going "just recommend any anime". Any specific reason why you liked those shows?

There's JoJo's and Mushi-shi from this season if you want to continue watching stuff, but they both have previous seasons you should watch. I'll wait to recommend anything else until you give some further info.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mick Swagger posted:

You'll have to be more specific than sol/fantasy/comedy/drama/superhero/sci-fi.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Uh, yeah. This post has shows that are so different from each other that you're pretty much going "just recommend any anime". Any specific reason why you liked those shows?

There's JoJo's and Mushi-shi from this season if you want to continue watching stuff, but they both have previous seasons you should watch. I'll wait to recommend anything else until you give some further info.

Yeah, true. For now, I'd like recommendations for superhero/sci-fi comedies, Tiger & Bunny or Watanabe-ish stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - Darker Than Black had some pretty fun moments, even if it bills itself as a sci-fi/superhero crime drama. Hell, Cowboy Bebop and FLCL are also great, too.

TO the guy who was wanting Detective stuff, it's not a detective show at all, but One Outs is a show about baseball and constant and escalating mental/strategic oneupsmanship that is really pretty fun.

It's a solid show in general, even if the main character is a perfect Gary Stu. The situations are still fun. :colbert:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 5, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mick Swagger posted:

Yeah, true. For now, I'd like recommendations for superhero/sci-fi comedies, Tiger & Bunny or Watanabe-ish stuff.

Hmmm, for Sci-Fi stuff that mixes comedy with action (as I can't think of any pure Sci-Fi comedies right now). I'd recommend perhaps checking out Planetes or Birdy the Mighty: Decode

If you're looking for something similar to Watanabe stuff, I'd really suggest checking out Black Lagoon

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mick Swagger posted:

sci-fi comedies
Level E.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Drifter posted:

^^^ - Darker Than Black had some pretty fun moments, even if it bills itself as a sci-fi/superhero crime drama. Hell, Cowboy Bebop and FLCL are also great, too.

TO the guy who was wanting Detective stuff, it's not a detective show at all, but One Outs is a show about baseball and constant and escalating mental/strategic oneupsmanship that is really pretty fun.

It's a solid show in general, even if the main character is a perfect Gary Stu. The situations are still fun. :colbert:

Detectives, thrillers, mysteries, or any kind of plot-oriented story where the plots and plans sort of "lock" together in the end, really. I think that's what I enjoy the most -- seeing the moments where all the subplots and setups lock together. If One Outs has escalating strategic oneupsmanship I'll totally give it a try!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Another scifi/superhero show that I really enjoyed (whatever, gently caress you) was A Certain Scientific Railgun.

TIger and Bunny felt kinda unique as far as its deconstruction-ish of superhero stories.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Detectives, thrillers, mysteries, or any kind of plot-oriented story where the plots and plans sort of "lock" together in the end, really. I think that's what I enjoy the most -- seeing the moments where all the subplots and setups lock together. If One Outs has escalating strategic oneupsmanship I'll totally give it a try!

Then I would say Baccano. Watching each of the three different stories steadily piece together is just a wonder to watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ViggyNash posted:

Then I would say Baccano. Watching each of the three different stories steadily piece together is just a wonder to watch.

It's more like sixteen stories, really. They just happen to intersect on three different occasions. Though how the hell it managed to stay coherent and fluid while ducking through all three events, I have no idea.

Mick Swagger posted:

Go track down a box set of Outlaw Star and enjoy some fun 90's sci-fi action.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Black Stones posted:

:stare: thanks for pointing out that Mushi-shi was having another season, I don't really follow current anime at all and another season of probably my absolute favourite anime of all time is a huge deal. Everyone should watch this show it's loving amazing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more like sixteen stories, really. They just happen to intersect on three different occasions. Though how the hell it managed to stay coherent and fluid while ducking through all three events, I have no idea.

Go track down a box set of Outlaw Star and enjoy some fun 90's sci-fi action.

Is Baccanno similar in scope to Durarara? Because I really liked that show.

Also, I want to again reiterate my enjoyment for the baseball/detective/psychological-strategy/drama One Outs. I really like shows that can show me another side to their subject matter, and this show certainly does that. The story follows a professional gambler leading his team and matching wits against a greedy team owner and other baseball teams by doing what he does best - playing baseball. He doesn't take prisoners and he's the best at what he does. It's...really fun and interesting. I can't quite think of another show like it (I haven't watched too many anime shows in general, though).

Unrelatedly, one of the (many) reasons I really enjoyed Log Horizon was because of how they take some time to go in depth regarding the team nature of combat for an mmo/vdeogame. That aspect was an interesting inclusion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Drifter posted:

Same original creator so yeah, only instead of modern Japan, it's 1920s America and it's great. Similar kind of premise of a whole mash of characters running into each other. I actually prefer Baccano over Durarara mostly because Baccano feels more complete to me though technically both end in an open-ended manner.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One Outs is really similar to Akagi, except the latter is about mahjong instead of baseball. Different subject matters but the way they're written is similar enough that if someone enjoys one of them they'll probably enjoy the other.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Drifter posted:

It's far better. If you liked Durarara, you'll love Baccano, unless you really don't like 1930's american gangsers and psychopaths.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ViggyNash posted:

It's far better. If you liked Durarara, you'll love Baccano, unless you really don't like 1930's american gangsers and psychopaths.

Well hot drat.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Drifter posted:

Don't know if you've heard about it, but DRRR!! has been given the greenlight for a season 2 as well. So there's something for you to watch out for.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I would like to recommend Super Sonico: The Animation? It's a pretty sick comedy slice of life anime. If you don't know who Sonico is or like her, it's okay, there are lots of cool characters in it. From her friends, to her cool grandma and her chili restaurant patrons, to her college classmates and teacher (it's a class about dolphins btw) and my favorite, her manager, whose like Sweet Tooth from Sony Playstation's Twisted Metal but if he were a cool dude with a sword. She also has like 9 cats.

I personally would rate it my most enjoyed anime of the season (higher than KLK!), but word of warning the ED's have Idolm@ster-tier CG :barf: and some characters have boobs.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 7, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Drifter posted:

For the record, you should totally watch Baccano with the dub, it works so much better to watch a series about 1930s gangsters in New York if they all have proper New York accents.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'll do the dub. Should be fun.

Thanks.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Is there a manga recommendations thread? if not...

I started reading Hitsugi no chaika (coffin princess) And was wondering if there were any series that you would recommend if I liked it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Is there a manga recommendations thread? if not...

I started reading Hitsugi no chaika (coffin princess) And was wondering if there were any series that you would recommend if I liked it.

Wasn't Scrapped Princess by the same author? There's an anime version of Chaika coming this season, and I remember someone mentioning that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DrPaper posted:

I would like to recommend Super Sonico: The Animation? It's a pretty sick comedy slice of life anime. If you don't know who Sonico is or like her, it's okay, there are lots of cool characters in it. From her friends, to her cool grandma and her chili restaurant patrons, to her college classmates and teacher (it's a class about dolphins btw) and my favorite, her manager, whose like Sweet Tooth from Sony Playstation's Twisted Metal but if he were a cool dude with a sword. She also has like 9 cats.

I personally would rate it my most enjoyed anime of the season (higher than KLK!), but word of warning the ED's have Idolm@ster-tier CG :barf: and some characters have boobs.

I don't usually drop anims, because my mission is to absorb every anim on earth into my head.

I dropped this, it's terrible.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like boobs, not highschool age characters, and girls in bands.

Sonico is not interesting at all. It's about as mild as you can get. I am honestly astonished anyone brought it up here, much less in a positive context.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I watched the whole thing hoping for some Nitro+ cameos. (There were only 2, unless there were more I simply didn't recognize) It was pretty bland otherwise, and I say that as someone who really likes slice of life shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure the only thing worth watching with super sonico is that saints row 3 trailer.

• Locked thread