Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Browsing other people's tickets and saw this amusing one:

quote:

Park and Ride pay phone has not been working since September, Buried in snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
My company just bought a help desk software named Solarwinds, is anyone familiar with it? Is it good?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Comfortador posted:

My company just bought a help desk software named Solarwinds, is anyone familiar with it? Is it good?

I haven't used their Helpdesk software, but we have Solarwinds Orion monitoring system and it's solid.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah SolarWinds Orion is pretty good.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Pretty much all of the SolarWinds software we use has been great. Sales has been getting a little pushy lately though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A call came in.

Customer has been working on this for months because they're dumb and have lots of issues.

They need to return a cluster to a node. They can't do this because they configured the new OS install wrong.

We could fix this by restoring a backup. But they don't use our backups, they have a script they run. The script saves the wrong information. We'll need to reimage again reconfigure manually.

To do that, we need to boot into the media on the device. The option doesn't normally show up with a serial console and this device is on an island with no staff capable of doing more than power cycling it.

I manage to turn this on, despite the BIOS not showing menu selections. When the device does boot, I hit the wrong option and get it stuck in a boot loop. We get the guy onsite to reboot and get into the installer. The terminal can't draw properly. Reboot again. Hit the wrong OS again. Reboot again, get into the right one, clear screen. Reboot into the installer again. Still can't draw correctly. We lose contact with the onsite guy.

Customer starts disappearing from the call for longish bits. I've been on this call for two hours now.

They're supposed to finish this sometime tomorrow. I'm really glad I don't work Saturdays.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

we use Solarwinds "Webhelpdesk" for inventory and ticketing, and it's pretty good. User calls, I type in their last name, it looks up their user (in LDAP) , and assigned assets, and I can 1 button click to connect with ARD (with macs at least). Very convenient.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Holy poo poo I'm going to wrap up this phone at exactly 4:00. First day all week. Happy friday I guess.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
We tried to reconnect to the terminal server. Not sure if they forgot the IP or it broke.

Edit: still on. It's taken 3 hours to fix two mistyped line in the initial config so far, and will take more. This was originally caused by a failed drive, or some other component that doesn't usually erase the entire system.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 4, 2014

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
A ticket came in.. (to my email rather than helpdesk of course)

Is it just me or is anyone else offended when people only use the subject line to communicate?

Also, schlep your old computer trash you dbag

<edit> after reading my own post I am probably just being a big baby... what can ya do.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 4, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, it annoys me too. But I try to put a little bit of effort into it when I communicate with others.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I never ever do it myself, but I don't really care if other people do. One guy I used to work with did it almost exclusively if he didn't have much he needed to say, with EOM on the end. Think of it as a text message that pops up in Outlook instead of your phone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pr0digal posted:

Not mine thankfully. I'd be ashamed if it was.

It was sent by a coworker from a friend who works at a major cable network.

This is what my cable management looks like. I can't wait to get rid of Final Cut Pro so I can remove those green ones. The loose cable at the top was because the network engineer was freaking out about something pulling POE so he had me unpatch it.

Panduit racks? Nice.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I think that's a pretty textbook case of "out of sight, out of mind!"

Video people are like this for some reason - "it's not in frame so we don't care what it looks like". When I was working at music festivals, light and sound would go to some length to make their cable runs not look like crap and use black cables, and video would come in, barf purple (SDI) and red (Triax) everywhere.

Add onto that studio upgrades where cables are just added and not removed since "that might take us off the air". I decomissioned a Master Control Room for a TV station here, and it looked basically like that picture - the techs knew how bad an idea it was to keep chucking more cables under the floor, but video was being passed correctly so who cares?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We are currently being forced to clean up our comm rooms at work. I suggested to someone that we just print out that picture and tape it in all the rooms to show how not that bad they are.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

hihifellow posted:

Pretty much all of the SolarWinds software we use has been great. Sales has been getting a little pushy lately though.

I have never known their sales people to not be obnoxious. Don't ever download any of their free stuff.

Caged posted:

Panduit racks? Nice.

Whats going on with those kinked patch panels?

This is what I did at my old place for access layer.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nah, it annoys me too. But I try to put a little bit of effort into it when I communicate with others.

That, and not attempting to use decent punctuation and capitalization, bugs me. It takes virtually no effort, so the fact that they can't even be bothered is almost insulting.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It really sucks when someone does this in the middle of a long e-mail chain that you're trying to read as well.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Ugh, Christ. All this patch panel talk is reminding me that I now have a mess that I have to clean up at the new Wound Care center. Yup, brand new. New guy did a poo poo job shoving cables into this tiny 1u cable management (despite the fact that I grabbed a few more out of storage so that it would be done correctly). All brand new cables and they've all been kinked in multiple places.

Thankfully today was our directors last day. So, once again, our senior most tech is the interim director. He's well aware of all the poo poo this guy has pulled, so he's going to be putting a stop to that. On that note, anyone in the CA bay area want to apply for an underpaid director role in healthcare IT?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Comfortador posted:

It's pretty good. It used to be called Web Help Desk before Solarwinds bought it in mid 2012.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I'm reasonably impressed with Spiceworks. I've dealt with 2 ticketing workflows now, homegrown terribad Gdocs form and Spiceworks.

I'm also extremely new to all this and still have to use quotes around the title when describing to people I am an 'admin.' Though that's mainly so they don't hound me to fix their personal device poo poo.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

That upper fibre is looking a bit tense

I used to have the most anal manager, and no cabling was ever adequate, so now all I can do it critique other's work like the abused child I am :(

Now in my current job all our stuff is in a managed DC in another country and we'll never see it in person.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

NZAmoeba posted:

I used to have the most anal manager, and no cabling was ever adequate, so now all I can do it critique other's work like the abused child I am :(

Is this a trait of abused kids?

Also, my tickets came in... also, the same number of sentences as there were tickets came in. I got moaned at because "people are not seeing action" on their one sentence tickets for evidently complex matters.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

drukqs posted:

Is it just me or is anyone else offended when people only use the subject line to communicate?
It only bothers me in so far that they could have used lync instead, otherwise no.. If you just need to send a short note it's fine IMO. I'll read it and delete it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

drukqs posted:

It's nowhere near a big enough deal to say anything to them, but I really hate that, yes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

On one hand I really hate that because it's like the sender does not think it's necessary to take the time to communicate with you properly, so why should you take time to read his/her message?

On the other hand, if you are one of those people who get metric fucktons of email then maybe it's nice to be able to just scan the subject lines and be done with it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The "Subject EOM" email is not a big deal to me, when it gets used properly. It becomes a problem when a chain of emails starts with the "Subject EOM" still attached. It says EOM, so I don't bother reading it until I realize there are 10 with that subject.

I'd only use it with someone I work with often, for something like "Left package for you under your desk EOM" or "Working from home today EOM" where a message body wouldn't really add anything. However, now that I work someplace that has a IM system that people actually use, I'd probably use that instead.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Guy Axlerod posted:

The "Subject EOM" email is not a big deal to me, when it gets used properly. It becomes a problem when a chain of emails starts with the "Subject EOM" still attached. It says EOM, so I don't bother reading it until I realize there are 10 with that subject.

I'd only use it with someone I work with often, for something like "Left package for you under your desk EOM" or "Working from home today EOM" where a message body wouldn't really add anything. However, now that I work someplace that has a IM system that people actually use, I'd probably use that instead.

The people you're talking about are already an order of magnitude more polite just for including "EOM."

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I typically put n/t in the message body rather than EOM in the subject.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

The people you're talking about are already an order of magnitude more polite just for including "EOM."
Doesn't Outlook do this by default?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Moey posted:

I have never known their sales people to not be obnoxious. Don't ever download any of their free stuff.

This is what I did at my old place for access layer.

Ortronics, a "requirement" from our network engineer. One of many many silly ones.

And NZAmoeba, that's because our core switch (6506) is not racked yet and it's running to that.

Ask me about working with a (contracted) network engineer in New York while in Maryland.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
It doesn't take technical wizardry to understand that an email is unprofessional. Other people notice it, odds are the offender sends emails like that to the whole enterprise, and it's not your responsibility to escalate or lose sleep over it. Bad phone decorum, on the other hand, drives me loving nuts

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

Moey posted:

They are meant for 100% horizontal cable routing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZh7K4m0Zk&t=109s

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

quicksand posted:

They are meant for 100% horizontal cable routing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaZh7K4m0Zk&t=109s

I have mixed feelings on that. I feel it would turn to a pile of poo poo pretty fast.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
So a ticket came in....

The security desk is missing files after our company forced every XP machine on the network to run the windows 7 migration. Okay simple enough only a few machines still on it i'm sure USMT threw their files on C:/migrateddata or is still on the server where it's suppost to initially store them while it installs windows 7.

except it didn't and the files that where not backed up by this automatic migration? termination records, badge access files to get into the building / secure areas in our building, employment records and to top it off we have a building that isn't hooked into the fire department but to security so if there ever is any kind of gas leak or anything of the sort security is suppose to make the call and warn people out. the problem? the application that handles these warnings that there is dangerous gas filling the the building and will kill everyone doesn't work on windows 7

Also these files of all the employee records spans back 5+ years. oh yeah i forgot no backups because they didn't have another hard drive to put the data on. classy.

Also my two weeks are in for a better job, later guys!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Broadcast cable talk: Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic. This is some of the cabling in the basement of the network broadcast facilities. The guy who gave me the tour said that instead of fixing lines they just run new ones. Eventually the weight of all the lines on top of each other crush the bottom ones and then they have to run a new set.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Even though I'm not in IT, I lurk this thread without saying much, just because it's entertaining as hell.

But holy poo poo. This has to win some kind of "epic gently caress up" award.
Congrats on the escape.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Good thing about working internal IT!

Coming from MSP/VAR you can quickly work your way up and have the skills for doing quick cost analysis's and risk assessments. Nothing is better than breaking down a meetings' email convo's 30 minutes after with a cost, and risk analysis within a day. While I do a proposal for a more define business continuity plan I would have quit internal gigs a while ago. I mean sure they pay more but wow is it easy.

Never realized how many CCNP's/EMCISA's/VCAP's would make simple mistakes. It almost gives me more motivation for a VCDX/EMCSA:VNX/(renewed)642-999 DCUCI.

It's kinda weird the hours overhead you get as well.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 6, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moey posted:

I have mixed feelings on that. I feel it would turn to a pile of poo poo pretty fast.

What do you mean? One of our clients has a rack with the kinked panels and it's neat and easy. I mean, it's kind of pointless since you shouldn't need to be straining the bend into the panel anyway, but it certainly doesn't detract from the cleanliness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

njark posted:

oh yeah i forgot no backups because they didn't have another hard drive to put the data on.

This is a major pet peeve of mine. Buy some goddamned storage already!

That and people who want to do cloud backups for large amounts of data but only have lovely DSL to use for upload.

Last week I had to speak to someone whose dataset would have, literally, taken a year to upload. Somehow this person got through every support tier all the way up to me in engineering. I had to tell them that I can't change how math works.

• Locked thread