Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BioMe posted:

Did they own slaves, like ever? I've understood that it's far more likely that a pirate was essentially a freed slave himself, because the "recruitment procedure" for many sailors looked an awful lot like being kidnapped off a dock somewhere to work on a ship in horrible conditions for next to nothing. So they'd escape to join pirates instead, often during a pirate attack on their ship.

Rapists is kind of weird label to put on pirates specifically too, considering the ships they targeted would have hardly ever had women on them anyway. And most of them would have avoided unnecessary cruelty to their prisoners, as they wanted to incentivize surrenders. In addition to risking their own crew and damage to their ship, even if a pirate ship won the battle they'd still be likely to lose their bounty in the process.

Who said they only raped women?

Pirates were in two main groups. The Pirates of the Caribbean got around mostly in dicky little skiffs searching for fishing boats and other scraps while dodging what passed for local law enforcement (when local law wasn't just the local strongman) - pretty much the same as Somali pirates today. Barbary pirates were on a grander scale and were absolutely in it for slaves, they had ~1 million in captivity at any one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BioMe posted:

Did they own slaves, like ever? I've understood that it's far more likely that a pirate was essentially a freed slave himself, because the "recruitment procedure" for many sailors looked an awful lot like being kidnapped off a dock somewhere to work on a ship in horrible conditions for next to nothing. So they'd escape to join pirates instead, often during a pirate attack on their ship.

When talking about pirates in general, then slavery was probably their historically most significant source of income, as demonstrated by pirates of the Barbary Coast, throughout Asia etc.

But since this is about European and New World pirates, those would generally prefer not to get involved in slave trade directly. Slaver ships were a good target, but it was more profitable to attack them on the return journey from the Americas, when they were loaded with easier to peddle commodities. When a ship loaded with slaves was captured, pirates would act according to whether they could sell the "cargo". If not, the ship would often be unloaded on a nearby island with a community of former / escaped slaves, and left to take care of themselves. That was beneficial to the pirates because these outcast communities relied on pirate trade for goods, including weapons. Owning slaves would probably make little sense for them because they weren't farmers.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

Who said they only raped women?

Is this actually something that's known to have happened at some scale, or are you just being a smartass? And yeah, I was talking about Caribbeans, not "all piracy ever". Kind of a big topic to make any generalizations on. The Barbary corsairs are in a pretty different context.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What the hell just happened to this thread post funny pictures you nerds

Here is a picture of Venom from Spider-Man emerging from a tennis ball.

I mean, a bird.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Apr 5, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Thi is just too perfect.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Funny Pictures XIV: Prove that pirates raped men!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pirate Talk:

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I guess having extremely long thumbs is a pirate thing then.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

CJacobs posted:

What the hell just happened to this thread post funny pictures you nerds

Here is a picture of Venom from Spider-Man emerging from a tennis ball.

I mean, a bird.

Nice tit. :haw:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I've never really paid attention to the guy in the background before because of the fatty, but he's seriously weird looking. His face is all wrong, though that might be the paint, and his helmet makes him look like a mushroom person from a Mario game.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

BioMe posted:

Is this actually something that's known to have happened at some scale, or are you just being a smartass? And yeah, I was talking about Caribbeans, not "all piracy ever". Kind of a big topic to make any generalizations on. The Barbary corsairs are in a pretty different context.

We're talking about pirates, the barbary pirates are loving pirates dude. During the time period in question, rape of younger crew members was a huge thing. Not just for pirates, but basically any kind of sailing ship. It's like a common trope that everybody except for you knows about.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The term "pegging" originates from that time period. It refers to having cabin boys sit on wooden pegs to get them ready for the sailors who where often pirates.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BioMe posted:

Here ya go, buddy.

(this is an actual book but I have not read it)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've never really paid attention to the guy in the background before because of the fatty, but he's seriously weird looking. His face is all wrong, though that might be the paint, and his helmet makes him look like a mushroom person from a Mario game.

It's a British paratrooper helmet, unless I miss my guess.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ColHannibal posted:

The term "pegging" originates from that time period. It refers to having cabin boys sit on wooden pegs to get them ready for the sailors who where often pirates.

I'm really sure this isn't true.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember seeing that picture at militaryphotos.net a few years ago and one of the users knew Combat Toad. Apparently the guy was a real deal British paratrooper at the time who happened to like playing air soft. Probably explains why he has the strength to carry another dude while Private Porky covers them.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ladron posted:

I'm really sure this isn't true.
It sounds like it could be true, though, and makes for a good story to pass along to your friends. And in the end, isn't that the most important thing?

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Here ya go, buddy.

(this is an actual book but I have not read it)

From Amazon:

quote:

Editorial Reviews
Review
"A great . . . very interesting book."
-Johnny Depp

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Modern Day Hercules posted:

It's like a common trope that everybody except for you knows about.

Maybe if by "everyone" you mean "everyone who knows more about sailing during this time period than they learned in high school", because I sure as hell hadn't heard anything about pirates or other sailors raping their own crew. Granted, I also hadn't learned much about the Barbary Wars, either.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Azurrat posted:

Nice tit. :haw:

Great tit.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I don't find Ripley's believe it or not rape chat funny nor do i think its a picture. Though maybe I am weird like that.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
HULK... poo poo!

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

hooah posted:

Maybe if by "everyone" you mean "everyone who knows more about sailing during this time period than they learned in high school", because I sure as hell hadn't heard anything about pirates or other sailors raping their own crew. Granted, I also hadn't learned much about the Barbary Wars, either.

Yes, which is everybody worth talking about. We were talking about pirates and I'm going to assume that someone having a discussion about pirates knows a little more than "literally nothing at all". I wasn't including newborn infants when I mentioned everybody either.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shnag posted:

I don't find Ripley's believe it or not rape chat funny nor do i think its a picture. Though maybe I am weird like that.

I can never tell if this dog has brain freeze or if it's just really happy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Bishop posted:

HULK... poo poo!

HULK SPLASH.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

hooah posted:

To be fair, most people dont stop learning when they leave high school.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SiKboy posted:

Sure, but most people also don't end up taking history courses that cover that specific time period, or end up being interested enough in that period to go learn about it themselves. I, for example, took my humanities class on mythology and Tolkein (because why not), and don't have very much interest in history anyway, so I just never happened across that, despite having learned a lot about music. Funny how that works.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

hooah posted:

Sure, but most people also don't end up taking history courses that cover that specific time period, or end up being interested enough in that period to go learn about it themselves. I, for example, took my humanities class on mythology and Tolkein (because why not), and don't have very much interest in history anyway, so I just never happened across that, despite having learned a lot about music. Funny how that works.

No, most people know that pirates were rapists. Sorry about your ignorance, but it's over now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

True, most people stop learning before they even enter high school. :smugbert:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Shuuut uuuuuup!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

No, most people know that pirates were rapists. Sorry about your ignorance, but it's over now.

Ok, where'd you learn about it? Where'd your friends learn about it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

You're rude, but I cant imagine this is true. I didnt know about pirates being rapists.

sesame_samuel_
Dec 24, 2012

Pork Pro
Shut the gently caress up about pirates and learning, dipshits.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I had not spent a lot of time thinking about pirates in general so I'd have to put myself into the camp of "not knowing pirates regularly raped their own crew"

lol

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Demon of the East posted:

Shut the gently caress up about pirates and learning, dipshits.

The more they talk about pirate rape the more accurate my fanfic is gonna be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Frigging in The Rigging
Edit: There was gently caress all else to do

"The cabin boy was Flipper
He was a fuckin' nipper
He stuffed his rear end with broken glass
And circumcised the skipper"

Proof right there, rapists, all of them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Apr 5, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

ColHannibal posted:

Did you make this up for the purpose of seeing how many people like myself would derail the thread?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=peg

Dan Savage-in response to someone saying male prostitutes used to do this posted:

Most people who like to gently caress butts like to gently caress butts that are tight, not butts gaping open after hours on a peg. Consequently, a boy prostitute who sits on pegs would seem to have a less marketable rear end than one who spends his downtime doing, say, squat thrusts or crossword puzzles. So I very much doubt that the practice you describe was widely practiced, if it was practiced at all.

Sorry for being unfunny. :(

True. And I could have sworn a goon linked to some science fiction writer that used the term "pegging" because she didn't believe that homosexuality was real and it was just men who had been raped or something. It had something to do with tent pegs being used to sodomize men. And, yeah, she didn't even mention homosexuality in women. I really wish I could remember who it was.
Edit: Ah, it was in the context of Dragon Riders of Pern. Anne McCaffrey doesn't understand science.
All I can find on golden bolts is Ratchett and Clank. I don't get the reference :(
\/\/\/

Bored has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
On the other hand, the internet claims one of Savage's readers invented the term pegging less than 15 years ago, so I wouldn't listen to his opinions on the matter, either.

Wanna go look for the Golden Bolt with me?

• Locked thread