Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah, I don't play Tekken at all but I like to watch it when I can, especially when there's a commentator I like on it. It's pretty close to the top of the "games I don't play but like watching" list, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah, I don't play Tekken at all but I like to watch it when I can, especially when there's a commentator I like on it. It's pretty close to the top of the "games I don't play but like watching" list, actually.

I don't mind TT2, but the fact that all of the characters have the same stance and they are constantly skating around kind of irks me. Regarding games that I don't play, but enjoy watching, I would choose Brawl over Tekken.

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.

Seymour Butts posted:

constantly skating around
Tekken would definitely stand out as the most awkward looking fighting game to me if it weren't for NRS games. The skating and juggling in particular. "Realism" ain't easy.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I second the notion that TTT2 is just hard to grasp for non-tekken players. The people at levelup do a pretty good job commentating it, but I used to play tekken myself so it's easy to recognize what's going on. I'm not sure if there's people that do a good enough job to at least get your average viewer interested in what's going on.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

apple posted:

I second the notion that TTT2 is just hard to grasp for non-tekken players. The people at levelup do a pretty good job commentating it, but I used to play tekken myself so it's easy to recognize what's going on. I'm not sure if there's people that do a good enough job to at least get your average viewer interested in what's going on.

As someone who has never played Tekken, it's practically impenetrable from a "I know why he did that" perspective. I don't know if it's because there's so many characters or if it's because the characters have so many moves, but I've never thought something like "If I was this guy I'd do ____ right now". Everything (at face value) seems completely arbitrary besides the general goal of "launcher -> tag team combo for half of the other dude's life -> catch the tag in ".

Are most moves in Tekken "bad"? Or is it a matter of plus and minus frames on certain moves? Or is it because there's low/mid/high blocking plus the possibility of jumping plus the possibility of side stepping, back dashing, or forward dashing, much less grabs? Whatever it is, it's really hard to figure out the flow of things. Soul Calibur V is somewhat similar when I watch that, but it "feels" simpler because there's less life and no tagging? In contrast, while DOA5 is kind of ugly to watch in motion it's pretty easily understood from a game mechanics perspective.

Just my opinion, of course.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ToiletDuckie posted:

I don't know if it's because there's so many characters or if it's because the characters have so many moves

Huge amount of characters + huge amount of moves is often cited as why Tekken is a hard game to learn how to play. I think it makes the game hard to watch as well if you don't already know the game well.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My main disconnect when watching tekken is that a lot of unpunishable stuff looks super unsafe. Especially the god fists half of the cast have

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

My main disconnect when watching tekken is that a lot of unpunishable stuff looks super unsafe. Especially the god fists half of the cast have

I remember feeling this way in SFxT, and that's not even a real Tekken game.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I cannot fathom that in a community where Mahvel became one of the most-watched fighting games there are people who find TTT2 boring or hard to understand. It's great to watch.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

ToiletDuckie posted:

As someone who has never played Tekken, it's practically impenetrable from a "I know why he did that" perspective. I don't know if it's because there's so many characters or if it's because the characters have so many moves, but I've never thought something like "If I was this guy I'd do ____ right now". Everything (at face value) seems completely arbitrary besides the general goal of "launcher -> tag team combo for half of the other dude's life -> catch the tag in ".

Are most moves in Tekken "bad"? Or is it a matter of plus and minus frames on certain moves? Or is it because there's low/mid/high blocking plus the possibility of jumping plus the possibility of side stepping, back dashing, or forward dashing, much less grabs? Whatever it is, it's really hard to figure out the flow of things. Soul Calibur V is somewhat similar when I watch that, but it "feels" simpler because there's less life and no tagging? In contrast, while DOA5 is kind of ugly to watch in motion it's pretty easily understood from a game mechanics perspective.

Just my opinion, of course.

What constitutes a Good Thing, a Bad Thing, and what a player could have done is best left for a good commentator. The unfortunate part is that the lightning fast pace of fighting games makes this hard to point out regardless of the title, and it's even harder in Tekken (though I don't see why you couldn't achieve this).

And yes actually, most moves are "bad" in the sense that when both characters are in a neutral position, you can only expect a small fraction of the movelist. This is because many of the moves serve very specific purposes and sometimes are just very gimmicky one-time-use moves, while others are either combo fillers or continuations of a chain of moves (which are listed as an extra move in the movelist). For example, you wouldn't ever try to do a very slow unblockable move against a good player at the start of a round, as they would simply move out of the way or interrupt you on reaction. You generally want to break the ice by doing specific moves which reliably grant you some momentum without too much commitment, which then lets you start your offense. While this can paradoxically give the opponent some foresight as to what moves to expect, you will want to be using moves that are hard to deal with regardless of their anticipation in a "neutral" situation.

In a sense, Soul Calibur V is simpler because it has a great deal more of guessing, mostly because movement is riskier and overall inferior by design. One of the biggest things that separate an average player from a great player in Tekken is movement, since it's easily the biggest factor in "controlling the chaos" that are these huge movelists. If you're elusive with your movement while having solid blocking/throw breaking, suddenly the opponent will only have a tiny subset of his movelist as viable options against you.

As for DOA5, I have no idea about that game. v:shobon:v

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I cannot fathom that in a community where Mahvel became one of the most-watched fighting games there are people who find TTT2 boring or hard to understand. It's great to watch.

Pretty much my sentiment, and I enjoy watching Marvel to an extent as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Don't characters in Tekken have upwards of 80+ attacks or someshit? Kind of hard to follow what the gently caress is going on if that's the case, but maybe I'm confusing it for another 3D fighter. It also doesn't help that Tekken has the worst character design I've ever seen.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Don't characters in Tekken have upwards of 80+ attacks or someshit? Kind of hard to follow what the gently caress is going on if that's the case, but maybe I'm confusing it for another 3D fighter. It also doesn't help that Tekken has the worst character design I've ever seen.

Not one but two wrestlers with jaguar masks, a Spanish dude who just does not give a single gently caress, a Muay Thai kangaroo, and Bob. How can you not love them?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I really like Tekken but the breadth of knowledge required to not suck at the game kinda keeps me out of it. It's a legit game that requires a lot of practice and skill, but I can't really get into it.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Not one but two wrestlers with jaguar masks, a Spanish dude who just does not give a single gently caress, a Muay Thai kangaroo, and Bob. How can you not love them?

Nah, don't get me wrong. Any game with an Orc, a Panda, a Bear, a Raptor, a Kangaroo, a Robot GI, a not-quite-as-Robot GI, Brazilian Dance Lords, Fat Boxers, Thin Boxers, Kick Boxers, Demons, Men Possessed By Demons, a Superhero, a Ninja or two, Young Godfist, Older Godfist, Even Older Godfist, Really Old Dead Dude But Still Godfist, a Luchador, a Luchador con Machismo, a half dozen varieties of Kung Fu, and... I can't even list it all, has a pretty interesting character roster.

I just have no idea what any of them are doing at any given point or why they're doing it. Hence the relative lack of investment as a viewer. I don't dislike it, but it's sufficiently complex that a casual viewer can't pick it up like SFIV.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AnonSpore posted:

Because as good as those sound on paper they look like complete poo poo.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

HoneyBoy posted:

In other news KBrad is now part of team EG, no more FNEX VXG EMP PC ACDC FCC PHD Kbrad.

http://evilgeniuses.gg/Read/300,Evil-Geniuses-Welcomes-K-Brad/

Christ, can you imagine every Team Tournament now? Oh your team just beat Justin Wong and PR Balrog, two of the best on the planet? Now not only do you have to play against Cammy, but one of the scum baggiest Cammys there is.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm a filthy casual who even has trouble understanding what's going on in competitive SF4 at times. Doesn't mean I can't get hyped watching Tekken, though! :shobon:

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
drat did no one tell EG that Cammy is getting nerfed in USF4 and KBrad will no longer be relevant?

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

I like playing 3D fighters, but I've never been able to get into them while watching. Not sure why exactly.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Tekken is hard to watch because it puts more emphasis on pacing, frame advantage and risk which are generally much harder to distinguish than battles over space. One is more knowledge and nuance oriented while the latter is almost entirely visual. There's nuance to both, for sure, but it's just easier to tell what's effective/who's winning in a 2d fighting game.

Tekken also has way less flashy particles and animations which appeal to people watching. You see a super move and you're like "this is important/it hurts".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My big "thing" with watching Tekken is that everything looks super unsafe and punishable (but presumably isn't). I still watch it though because you get used to that, but it was really jarring at first.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Tekken is hard to watch because it puts more emphasis on pacing, frame advantage and risk which are generally much harder to distinguish than battles over space. One is more knowledge and nuance oriented while the latter is almost entirely visual. There's nuance to both, for sure, but it's just easier to tell what's effective/who's winning in a 2d fighting game.

Tekken also has way less flashy particles and animations which appeal to people watching. You see a super move and you're like "this is important/it hurts".

I feel like I can usually tell the pace of a tekken match by which character is spending the most time rolling around like a baby on the floor

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

These two players disrespecting each other in Killer Instinct has me getting pretty hype.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brett824 posted:

drat did no one tell EG that Cammy is getting nerfed in USF4 and KBrad will no longer be relevant?

I've seen KBrad perfect Ricky Ortiz's Rufus with Chun and destroy FChamp's Sim with Sagat. Dude can adapt.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Trykt posted:

I've seen KBrad perfect Ricky Ortiz's Rufus with Chun and destroy FChamp's Sim with Sagat. Dude can adapt.

Yea his Chun is pretty sick. A charge Cammy is perfect for him if she is a top tier

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

lamentable dustman posted:

Yea his Chun is pretty sick. A charge Cammy is perfect for him if she is a top tier

The zoom in on KBrad's face while Combo was blowing up Ryan Hart with Decapre said it all, really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AnonSpore posted:

The zoom in on KBrad's face while Combo was blowing up Ryan Hart with Decapre said it all, really.

That was before he was told it was a charge character, though.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
"I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on Dee Jay vs. Blanka" - Ultradavid

My respect for this guy's commentating has just doubled. At first, I thought he was too e-sports, but now I realize he's subtly trolling Chen at all times and is generally knowledgeable.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
So apparently Blanka's a grappler character now.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I remember Tommy Guns yes.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
A non-surprising amount of tanktops on dudes with flabby arms.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I will accept any amount of Chris G whining in exchange for him playing interesting teams when he thinks he can win without his A-Team, mainly because it proves he knows fundamentals and pisses so many people off.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ToiletDuckie posted:

I will accept any amount of Chris G whining in exchange for him playing interesting teams when he thinks he can win without his A-Team, mainly because it proves he knows fundamentals and pisses so many people off.

Hahahahahaha...

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

Hahahahahaha...

Not saying he could win without his A-Team in this case, but at least he played a few rounds with some other team. You'll never see Flux play Hsien-Ko or Fchamp play Shuma.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

ToiletDuckie posted:

Not saying he could win without his A-Team in this case, but at least he played a few rounds with some other team. You'll never see Flux play Hsien-Ko or Fchamp play Shuma.

There was that tournament where FChamp busted out Ghost Rider in top 8 and got destroyed by KBR

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

getitoffgetitoff posted:

There was that tournament where FChamp busted out Ghost Rider in top 8 and got destroyed by KBR

I stand corrected yet somehow still have no respect for FChamp. East coast bias, I guess.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
That Chris G comeback :stare:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

He had the Chris Jitters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chris Jesus rises from the grave